Forums

Topic: Octopath Traveler

Posts 501 to 520 of 628

Kimyonaakuma

@AlternateButtons I guess I was lucky because Tressa was my main character, and she has the lowest recommended level...even if I needed to be a couple of levels higher than that to finish it
At least the characters catch up quite quickly! I don't know how you're playing the game but I always have Tressa, Cyrus and Ophilia in my party and then the last character is whoever's chapter it is, and it seems to be working out okay? Stealing equipment from lots villagers is useful too, especially as the price to restore your reputation isn't so bad...

But anyway, good luck! The stories are good (well so far, but I've completed all chapter 3s) so you have plenty to look forward to

Kimyonaakuma

Tasuki

Well wrapped up the demo tonight. I chose H'annit as my starting character if for any reason it's because I always enjoyed playing hunters in games like WoW and archer type characters in Skyrim. I enjoyed the demo alot although it took me a while to figure out the combat mechanics but once I did I enjoyed them. It added a neat element to the fights with making it overly complicated.

The music I felt was great too as well as the voice overs. Graphically wise it reminded me of SNES Rpgs like Final Fantasy III and such.

I picked up the full game and will be looking forward to continuing where I left off from the demo.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Ryu_Niiyama

...I've been playing over 70 hours and I just now found out you can dash. Life. Changed.

Sad part is I remembered that they mentioned that in one of the directs, yet it didn't click in my brain while playing.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Alantor28

I got Octopath Traveler. So which character should I start out as first? Any recommended characters to start with on a new game?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698

Spoony_Tech

@Alantor28 All I will say is the person you choose will be with you till you finish their chapter 4 so choose wisely. It good to go with a character that can spam all the enemies with one attack to find weaknesses. All characters have at least one but some have 2 or more.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Cynas

@Alantor28 A lot of it comes down to personal taste. My first character was Cyrus and I was happy with that choice. His spells hit all enemies and the later ones hit all enemies twice. His ability also reveals one weakness for each enemy type at the start of the battle. It's great for breaking enemy defenses quickly. He has access to fire, ice, and lightning attacks which a lot of enemies are weak to at least one of. Even by the end of the game he was my heavy hitter. His starting chapter wasn't too interesting but got much better later on.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Truck0Saurus

@Alantor28 Like people have said, it's up to personal preferences but I do think some characters offer more advantages when they are your starting character:

Ophelia (she was my pick): She's basically a white mage and having her at a very high level means she'll basically full heal your party with an unboosted cast of "Heal More"
Cyrus: He reveals enemies' weaknesses and has 3 different spells that damage all enemies. Very useful to break and he does really good damage.
Therion: Stealing stuff from townsfolk is very useful and gives you access to high level gear earlier, at no cost. Having him as your main character means he's going to be high level and he'll have a better chance of stealing stuff in every new town your enter.

Truck0Saurus

Kimyonaakuma

Having Therion is probably a good choice, he can steal items but it also means that you'll be able to open every chest. I'm having to revisit so many places because he wasn't in my party to open the purple chests

Personally I picked Tressa so I would have plenty of money, but now I have too much! I'd say Cyrus would also be a good choice due to his Analysis skill and his selection of spells

Kimyonaakuma

Spoony_Tech

I went with Olberic and having a sword attack that attacks everyone has been a huge help. His spear attack also helps but being random can backfire.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ryu_Niiyama

Welp I have beaten all 8 stories (haven't gotten to the big boss yet) so now I'm backtracking to all the purple chests and working on sidequests until I figure out how to get to the final boss. I enjoyed most of the stories but I messed up and did the weakest one imo last... Alfyn was a slog from start to finish.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NEStalgia

Just coming around to Alfyn 1 now. The game was going super easy until Ophelia's first boss which was just a damage spongey slog, and then the difficulty of randoms seems to have escalated since Haanit (going counter-clockwise from Olberic sans a detour to Primrose. Theoron's dungeon seemed like it took forever, mostly because by luck my party had almost nobody to break anything.

My main strategy so far is using Tressa's BP share to buff Olberic (main) and wailing on enemies with cross slash maxed out after breaking them.

Normally I play mages in RPGs but Olberic just seemed "right" for this game.

NEStalgia

Tasuki

So a quick question. I played and finished the demo and now I am about to start the game. Does it matter if I got the physical copy to continue on where I left off with the demo?

My Backlog

Spoony_Tech

@Tasuki Not at all, there will be an option when you start to pick up where you left off.

MERG said:

Tasuki

So continued on with the full game today, had to wait a few days because my son got hooked on it as well. So I managed to get Alf the apothecary, which now makes three in my party, the Hunter, Thieron, and Alf. Still not sure where to go exactly but I am having a ton of fun with this game

My Backlog

Mordridakon

I'm going after the secret classes before I dive into Chapter 4 stories. Managed to get sorcerer. Boss fight was not easy, but manageable as long as you bring a hunter and leg hold trap the boss and full heal while he's broke. Then I went after starseer and got wiped across the floor with her standard attack of 7000 damage.
Team I'm using:
Cyrus: Lvl 52 Scholar-Cleric(literally never runs of SP due to the skills equipped)
Olberic: Lvl 49 Warrior-Hunter(Is a beast. if I lion dance him, Brandt's Thunder can deal 9999 damage, which was critical to beating the sorcerer boss).
Therion: Also Lvl 49 Thief-Merchant(not a damage dealer, but very useful swiss army knife of skills).
Primrose: Lvl 48 Dancer - Sorcerer(She was originally a scholar).
Any change to this besides Grind-Grind-Grind?
How are the Warmaster and Runelord bosses?

Mordridakon

Kimyonaakuma

@Mordridakon I'm struggling with the secret job bosses too! I've only managed to unlock the Sorcerer.

Runelord seems to be the second easiest, but he has an attack near the end that makes everyone unconscious for 3 or 4 turns, and my team didn't survive that
The Warmaster is okay besides her attack that hits 6 times (I think?, it's a lot anyway), and the Starseer I attempted once and then haven't returned.

Has anyone found the recommended levels for the fourth chapters and the secret job bosses inaccurate? Because I still can't beat some of them with level 65+ characters that use debuffs and poison...

I also completed Primrose and Alfyn's stories yesterday, Alfyn was a little disappointing to be honest

Kimyonaakuma

Trajan

I'm 90 hours in, but only 81 on my save, so I did some restarts trying to steal. That got old quick so I stopped.

Level 61 Olbric and haanit, 60 Ophilia. Everyone else is 30-50. Got Warmaster and sorcerer. Warmaster was hard unless I used cleric devine on sorcerer to get 6 elemental attacks. Then I analyzed him right before he was going to hit us with some hard attacks, he had 60 hp left and Haanit got a bonus turn at the end and we won. It was definitely hard.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

"If we did this (mobile games), Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo." - Iwata

Mordridakon

I've fought the warmaster boss and got my ass kicked because I didn't have the right team.
I've calculated I'm going to have to grind Ophillia and Haanit up to 50 and have the following team
Cyrus Scholar - Cleric
Ophillia Cleric Scholar
Haanit - Hunter - Apothecary
Primrose - Dancer -Sorcerer
This will give me a minimum of seven breaks per turn, allowing me to break while only taking a maximum of three attacks(with leghold trap). Assuming nobody dies.

This will of course change if I can beat the Runeblade boss. We'll see

Edited on by Mordridakon

Mordridakon

Tasuki

You can have more then on job on each character?? I did not know that. It's interesting though.

My Backlog

Spoony_Tech

@Tasuki Each character can have a second job. There's your standard 8 which you will start to find in chapter 2's then there's 4 special ones apparently locked behind bosses I had no clue about. Still a bit off that though as I hear they're after chapter 3's.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic