Forums

Topic: Octopath Traveler

Posts 461 to 480 of 628

darkfenrir

One thing for sure is that the side dungeon's bosses are way harder than the story's bosses for me...

I want to defeat the Leviathan for the side quest and it just keep kicking my butt orz (Probably should just go somewhere else)

darkfenrir

Mountain_Man

Yorumi wrote:

@Cynas that's largely what I experienced. I did Tressa's first and did ok, then went to H'annit's and was like WTF is up with this thing? After a game over there I managed to get a break on it and that pretty well was all I needed. Cyrus' boss did a time on me too. I did chapter 4 between my early 50's and 60's. It was just shocking to see such a sudden difficulty spike. I enjoyed the game overall though.

I chose H'annit as my main and had no problem with with her boss. Ophelia was my second, and those flame sentinels or whatever they were gave me problems because I didn't have enough in my arsenal to efficiently break them before they exploded and wiped out my party in one hit. Every other Chapter 1 boss has been relatively easy, which I really don't mind, because few things kill a fun game faster than throwing an inordinately difficult boss fight in your path.

The Mountain Man

rallydefault

@Mountain_Man
I had the exact same issue with Ophelia's boss! I wasn't really thinking things through either, though, so there's that haha

My main is Alfyn, and I have mixed feelings about that choice. I love his story and personality, so I picked him because of those things.

He's definitely a heavy hitter and can have gobs of HP, but I feel like WAY fewer enemies are weak to axes than they are to swords/daggers/bows. Also, I still haven't gotten the usefulness of his Concoct ability (I'm way behind most of you in the game - I'm only starting Chapter 2 stories right now) - I'm picking up tons of concoct ingredients, but in combat it never seems like I can mix something useful for offense, only for defense. But man, nothing beats his charged-up Amputation ability when an enemy is broken. That thing hits like a bulldozer.

rallydefault

Mountain_Man

rallydefault wrote:

@Mountain_Man
I had the exact same issue with Ophelia's boss! I wasn't really thinking things through either, though, so there's that haha

My main is Alfyn, and I have mixed feelings about that choice. I love his story and personality, so I picked him because of those things.

He's definitely a heavy hitter and can have gobs of HP, but I feel like WAY fewer enemies are weak to axes than they are to swords/daggers/bows. Also, I still haven't gotten the usefulness of his Concoct ability (I'm way behind most of you in the game - I'm only starting Chapter 2 stories right now) - I'm picking up tons of concoct ingredients, but in combat it never seems like I can mix something useful for offense, only for defense. But man, nothing beats his charged-up Amputation ability when an enemy is broken. That thing hits like a bulldozer.

H'annit is a great main. I've always enjoyed pet class characters in RPGs, and being able to enter a battle with a menagerie of captured critters at my beck and call is awesome.

The Mountain Man

jtmnm

Warrior on Therion is a fun time. Stack evasion, use Incite, and watch as he dodges everything!

jtmnm

Switch Friend Code: SW-4706-4065-3902 | Twitter:

jtmnm

Square Enix just announced OT sales topped 1,000,000 in less than a month!

Untitled

jtmnm

Switch Friend Code: SW-4706-4065-3902 | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

Yes, and well deserving!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

EvilLucario

Congrats to Octopath, that's pretty sweet. Hope that success means we get more great RPGs like this and Xenoblade.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Namco

The final boss actually makes you use all 8 characters, ughhh. I completely neglected 4 characters and got destroyed. Let the grind fest begin

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

meleebrawler

@AlternateButtons Uh, Ophilia has Luminescence and Tressa has Trade Tempest for magic attacks hitting everyone. Once you start unlocking secondary jobs (they're hidden in what I call "level 2 areas" where towns featuring character's chapter 2s are), you'll have more freedom in what job skills you have access to.

I'm used to having a main character in RPGs that's far stronger, in levels or otherwise, and is a fixture in your party. Stuff like Fire Emblem and Paper Mario.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Namco

Yeah the lock is unnecessary stupid, even with most secondary jobs, sometimes it prevents you from making the combination of classes you want. Really don't see the point since the game is supposedly about completing the stories in any order you like.

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

Kimyonaakuma

@AlternateButtons It's not uncommon to have a couple of really strong characters in an RPG, it's just how they are...
I think the demo was released so people knew which character they liked but of course everyone won't have tried it :/

But secondary jobs help a lot in covering weaknesses in your team, if you bring lots of healing items and avoid battles you could probably unlock them early (during Chapter 1 )

Kimyonaakuma

Spoony_Tech

I don't mind having one character stronger as they help level the weaker ones that much faster. I to like to level my characters evenly but all that really means is when I move to the next area I will take my 3 weakest no matter who they are. Even if I don't have a healer as the potions work surprisingly well.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ryu_Niiyama

Woo so 60 hours in, 4 stories completed and 7 characters collected. I must say this may end up being my GOTY. I do love that the stories are more connected than I was led to believe but in what I feel is a more organic way. Many of the stories are symptoms of things that happen in other ones (and the overarching big bad that at this point seems to be obvious even though I have 4 stories to go) and I think that is more organic than the entirety of evil being hyperfocused on a "special" group of people and they in turn are hyper focused on saving the world.

I think my only issues are that A) this isn't the storytelling norm for RPGs (meaning my next RPG is going to be a bit jarring), and B) the freedom of story choice means that the main character of each story is treated as if they are alone. I'm fine with that for a lot of the interactions as I treat it as if the others stay in the wagon or head to the tavern while the main character talks with friends or gathers clues...I know I wouldn't want 3 people crowing the room while I'm trying to ask about where a friend is or something. But sometimes you wonder how 4 people get ambushed or can't get out on their own. However old school JRPG parties were just as helpless and you were stuck shouting at the tv because you know there are four of them and they can't figure their way out of a paper bag because of plot.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Trajan

@Ryu_Niiyama
You completed some sotries without getting all 8 characters? I figured everyone got all the characters before chapter 2...

What subclasses is everyone giving to who?

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

"If we did this (mobile games), Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo." - Iwata

Kimyonaakuma

I'm probably playing this "the boring way", because I went around in a circle to recruit all characters and didn't start any of the third chapters until I finished the second ones. I think I just wanted to keep each character equal in terms of story.
I'm currently on my first Chapter 4 with Ophilia, the story is great but the dungeons don't change do they? It's either the suspicious building, a forest or a cave with the same sad song. There are a couple that change the theme but not many...

@Trajan I know there are some other secondary jobs so this will change soon, but as for right now-
Tressa - Thief
Cyrus - Dancer
Ophilia - Apothecary
Primrose - Hunter
H'aanit - Warrior
Alfyn - Merchant
Therion - Cleric
Olberic - Currently nothing because he's my least favourite

Kimyonaakuma

Cynas

I think I'm officially 100% completed the game. Went back around and collected all the chests I missed in the dungeons mainly because I don't normally have Therion in my team. Scrutinized everyone, purchased/stolen all items, completed all side quests. I don't think there's anything left I can do. Took me a little over 90 hours to do all that. A decent amount of time was spent at the end getting some of the characters I never used leveled up for the final boss. In the end I had 3 characters at level 80 and the rest were around level 60.

@Trajan My final setup ended up like this

My main 4

Cyrus - Sorcerer
Ophilia - Dancer
Tressa - Runelord
Olberic - Warmaster

Others

Primrose - Cleric
Alfyn - Starseer
Therion - Merchant
H'aanit - Apothecary

My teams for the final boss were
Team 1: Cyrus, Ophelia, Therion, H'aanit
Team 2: Olberic, Alfyn, Primrose, Tressa

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Ryu_Niiyama

@Trajan Yep I wanted to roll 4 characters at a time... the only reason why I started on the others is as I finish my original 4 I swap in a new person (I swap in one/two at a time so I can level quickly). Since I have all the jobs I just made used the four unused characters for sub-clases. Worked out well since I by happenstance pulled for characters that allowed me all the path actions. So I never needed to get the others until I was ready for their stories. Right now though since I'm 58-61 my current group all have the advanced classes.

@Cynas where do you grind when you are in your 60s?

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Cynas

@Ryu_Niiyama I went to the Forest of Purgation, the level 58 dungeon in the Flatlands. I made sure to equip the passive skills that increase experience and JP gained, as well as the accessory that increases experience gained by 50% and the one that increases JP by 50%. A lot of the battles gave around 2000 XP and 330 JP. I also put on the accessory that increases random encounters.

Edited on by Cynas

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Ryu_Niiyama

@Cynas Ah. Been there since level 40. Ok guess ill stay there.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic