Forums

Topic: Octopath Traveler

Posts 441 to 460 of 628

EvilLucario

@Ryu_Niiyama Not meming here, Pong and Tetris are perhaps the closest you'll ever get to a perfect game.

Chess is also another one with extremely well-balanced units and strategy.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Cynas

@Ryu_Niiyama I'll rephrase that and say "I wouldn't give it 10/10."

Edited on by Cynas

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Ryu_Niiyama

@EvilLucario Shogi is better, chess is a 9/10. Shogi, 10/10. Too young for pong and Tetris...hmm depends on the version for me. Although I will say the puyo puyo version is really cool.

@Xaldin Nobody else did either.

Anybody know where the best mid game armor is? I'm great on weapons but I keep getting whipped out by the advanced jobs because my team wears swiss cheese armor.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Cynas

@Ryu_Niiyama it was really just a manner of speech, wasn't really the focal point of what I was saying

Edited on by Cynas

Cynas

EvilLucario

@Ryu_Niiyama Never heard of Shogi, rip.

As for Pong and Tetris, even as a 20 year old growing up with much more complex games than Pong or Tetris, I have a hard time finding any fault in their base gameplay. They're pretty much honed to perfection while others like Puyo Puyo are less accessible.

They don't have the scope of something like RPGs or even Mario, but what they set out to do is perfection if you ask me.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Mountain_Man

Xaldin wrote:

I'm just pointing out one fault the game has because it's by no means a perfect game, at least in my opinion.

Where we differ is that i don't consider predictability to be a fault. Of course when you've played games as long as I have, it's hard to find a game that isn't predictable to some degree.

The Mountain Man

Ryu_Niiyama

@EvilLucario Shogi is the Japanese iteration of chess. you can redrop units that you capture, bwahahahaha.

And then there is the Maka Dai Dai version which is played on a 19x19 board.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Cobalt

@Xaldin

So basically I wasn't crazy when I explained my thoughts about Octopath and you changed my "linear" word into "systematic".

Because, now I can say clearly that the perfect mark for this game is really 7/10 from my perspective. The 9/10 of NL is way too much for this game. A 9/10 is an exceptional game, Octopath is not a neo-FF VI or something like that. It's a nice game, fun to play but just good. So yeah a 7/10 for me.

Edited on by Cobalt

Cobalt

Ryu_Niiyama

Ok, so Merchant/Runelord is just a fantastic combo. I think I'm going to go take on another advanced class fight. Also I am laughing at the fact that I'm 50 hours in and only beat one story.... This game is going to last me till November....lol.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

jtmnm

@Ryu_Niiyama Runelord Tressa is the only Runelord you'll ever need.

jtmnm

Switch Friend Code: SW-4706-4065-3902 | Twitter:

Cynas

I don't think anyone can deny the game's biggest flaw.

After beating all of the sidequests, the banners in the journal aren't completely unfurled. Plus they're all at different lengths. It's really painful to look at, especially in comparison to the main story banners. I just want to grab into the screen and pull them all down to the bottom.

Cynas

Namco

If you want to keep enjoying the battle system I recommend you don't get the advanced jobs before finishing all the stories. To be honest, before I got those extra classes the battles were already cakewalk. But now all my party has to do is to intensively look at the enemies and they become shiny dust. So to speak.

Perhaps, to make this game more challeging they should do it like Fire Emblem. When one of your characters die they die for good (and you have to make a new save if you ever want to finish their story)

Btw I don't agree with Octopath's battle system being so great. It reminds me of Persona 5's battle system but it comes nowhere near to being that level of genius. The break and boost system makes for an easy strategy to follow. Break their shield, then deal major damage. But this is also a flaw, the battles become very calculable because of it, you always know when your enemy will attack. Also my party rarely endures special conditions even when I take zero counter measures. My personal experience is: way too easy

Edited on by Namco

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

Namco

Also most of the tasks you get during stories are baloney. For example. ''Search the village'' I take two steps and another cutscene starts. WHATS EVEN THE POINT?

Edited on by Namco

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

Cobalt

@Navitroid

Almost everything is predictable and calculable in this game.
There is a kind of scholar roadmap that the developers had to follow for the battle system and for the progression in the game.

Like you said, it's a flaw. You probably don't understand some incredible reviews like me. The type of review giving 9/10 or 100%...

Octopath Traveler is a good game but not as great as it could be.

Edited on by Cobalt

Cobalt

Trajan

I'm 35 hours in. Did a couple of chapter 2s. Had to take a break from it this week as I was getting burned out. Good game, but I hate random encounters. Lack of a good sorry hurts it to me. It's no Chrono Trigger or Radiant Historia. I think 7/10 is fair.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

"If we did this (mobile games), Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo." - Iwata

Cynas

@Navitroid I loved Persona 5's battle system as well but for me the break and boost system adds a great extra layer of depth. Similar to persona, rewarding you for hitting enemy weaknesses forces you to use all of the attacks in your arsenal rather than just spamming the A button during every fight. The break system takes this further by making you plan out which attacks to use to break the enemy before their turn. Then the boost system let's you customise your team by being able to focus all your attack power on a single character while others support them.

I don't think the game is as hard as some people are making it out to be, I got a game over screen 3 times throughout my time with the game. But the fights were still challenging enough where I came close to dying plenty of times. I think the difficulty is fair and on par with most JRPGs.

The 4 extra jobs definitely make your characters overpowered and I'm okay with that given they're introduced shortly before or even after you finish chapter 4. I do think there should have been more post game challenging fights, but for the the majority of the game I enjoyed it's fair difficulty.

Cynas

Kimyonaakuma

I like both battle systems but I think the Press Turn system is much better (that's the SMT one ), because I think it adds more depth compared to Octopath Traveller.

I think if the enemies if Octopath Traveller adopted the Drain, Repel and Null resistances from SMT/Persona it would be much easier, because being able to attack all enemies multiple times with spells and weapons makes it too easy, even more so when you can recover SP.

Kimyonaakuma

Cynas

@Yorumi I did notice the chapter 4 bosses do a lot of damage but don't have a lot of health given the possible damage your characters can do. My first chapter 4 boss was the Scholar one and I got completely wiped out by the second turn, so I decided to go and get Sorcerer. I went back to try the boss again and it still nearly killed me but as soon as I got a couple hits in he died. After that point though my characters were pretty overpowered and destroyed everything besides the final boss.

Cynas

Cynas

@Kimyonaakuma Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but from the SMT games I've played (IV, Apocalypse, Devil Survivor, P3, P4, P5, PQ, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions), I don't remember Null, Repel or Drain being much of a threat. Plenty of enemies didn't have those resistances and if one did then I would just use a multi-hit spell that avoided the one or two elements that wouldn't affect them.

I don't think it would hurt the combat if this system was added to Octopath, but I don't think the game would require much more strategy if it was.

Edited on by Cynas

Cynas

Kimyonaakuma

@Cynas They weren't very common a lot of the time but a couple of enemies use their resistances well.
I think it just would have helped if they added some kind of consequence for using attacks that the enemy has a resistance to, even if it was just for stronger battles and bosses. In SMT you have to find the basic version of an attack and then progress to find the medium, heavy and (sometimes) almighty versions, but in Octopath Traveller you unlock these very quickly and they can be boosted, making the game too easy at certain points.

I don't mind it how it is at the moment but I think a lot of the previews made it sound like a very difficult game, which it isn't if you bother to organise your team.

Kimyonaakuma

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic