Forums

Topic: What Will Be The Big Holiday Nintendo Game for 2024?

Posts 1 to 20 of 24

shadow-wolf

Hi everyone,

With this year so far being a relatively quiet year for the Switch, I was curious what everyone was thinking the big holiday game for this year will be. Or if there even will be a big holiday Nintendo game for this year given Switch is in the twilight period of its lifespan.

My money's on this year still having a big holiday game but banking on a port instead of a full new game, like 2020 did with 64+Sunshine+Galaxy. Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD come to mind, but releasing both at the same time would be too distracting and impact the other game's sales; I'd expect possibly Wind Waker HD coming out this year (plus easy upgrade to 1440p or 4k or 60 fps on Switch 2) and Twilight Princess HD coming out next year or the year after for Switch 2 with a complete revamp and improved graphics (as that game needs it more than Wind Waker does).

What are your thoughts?

shadow-wolf

Sisilly_G

I am not expecting a major AAA title for the silly season, but like you, I am expecting some kind of port/remake/collection to keep the Switch afloat as it is very likely that the next console will release in in early 2025, if not this holiday (and imagine the demand!).

And speaking of 3D Mario, a standalone release of Super Mario Galaxy 2 (or a double pack seeing as the first game is no longer available) would be great.

What I'm really hoping for is a port of Pokémon X/Y ahead of 2025's Legends game. They wouldn't need to completely remake the game, though some upgraded textures and such would be appreciated. Perhaps they could release it at a budget price to reflect the fact that it's a smaller scale project too. Plenty of young Pokémon fans would have been too young to play the original Gen VI games, so this would be a great way to make it accessible again.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Magician

Still waiting for that WW/TP double pack, yo.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,252 games (as of April 30th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

OctolingKing13

I think it’s quite obvious, the swan song, Prime 4

Taylor from Blank Space was my old pfp if anyone gets confused. this is tay from he latest album
I LOVE OCTO SHOT REPLICA
cats are the best

PikminMarioKirby

I feel like Prime 4 will release early October, although I feel like that won’t be the major holiday title as it’s not gonna sell as well as many other Nintendo IP.

WW/TP HD ports are unlikely the major holiday title as it’d likely be ports of the Wii U HD remasters.

Kirby mainline games typically release about every 2.5 years, so that’d work for the next 2D Kirby to release at the end of the year. However I think it’s unlikely, they will probably wait for next console for a mainline Kirby game. A side Kirby game could release this year, but not as the Holiday title.

Nintendo World Championship NES Edition will likely be a July game, I think.

There are already so many Mario games this year, idk if they could have another one as the Holiday title.

Honestly I don’t know what the Holiday title could be. Seems like it’d be hard to choose.

Edited on by PikminMarioKirby

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Remake HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SwitchForce

Considering we got no Switch 2 for Holiday 2024 it's going to be a quiet season for AA games or Big Launch Titles that would be a selling point for Switch 2.

SwitchForce

kkslider5552000

I mean, it depends. Nintendo's console holiday game in 2016 before the Switch came out was Color Splash. Nintendo's handheld holiday game in 2016 was Pokemon Sun/Moon. Massive difference in terms of popularity between these two, even IF Wii U hadn't failed.

I'd guess right now...2D Zelda or Metroid Prime 4. Those are big enough to be a holiday game but not big enough to overshadow what is inevitably going to be 3D Mario platformer or Mario Kart 9 to launch with the new system.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ulysses

@kkslider5552000 I want to agree that Metroid Prime 4 is a candidate, but the cynical side of me just doesn't think the Metroid brand is big enough to drive the entire financial quarter from Nintendo's perspective.

IMHO, it needs to be one of the big 3: Mario, Zelda or Pokemon.

It wouldn't be the first time a Pokemon Legends game coincides relatively closely with a mainline remake, so a BW or XY remake for the holiday season sounds plausible. The cycle of Pokemon games would suggest a Gen 5 remake before XY, but on the other hand, a Kalos-centered Legends game marketing-wise would benefit more from a Kalos remake, in order to pair the two together. Legends and BDSP were marketed in the same way, as two sides of the same Sinnoh-region coin.

@shadow-wolf IMHO, I don't think Nintendo is going to sell Wind Waker or Twilight Princess as stand-alone ports any longer.

And this is because I believe very strongly that the Gamecube NSO app is being prepared for Switch 2. Either it is being prepared to be ready for Switch 2's launch, or it will release soon after, like summer 2025.

It's still possible that Nintendo could repeat 3D All-Stars with WW/TP, like how they bundled Mario 64 with the standalone port shortly before the N64 NSO app launched. If they wanted to they could still release WW/TP as standalone ports before launching the Gamecube NSO. However, I don't think Nintendo will pull that stunt twice, because they caught a lot of criticism for it with Mario.

I think it's possible the Switch 2 will offer more features to NSO, like adding seamless ray-tracing integration, or upscaled frame rate, to GameCube games within the NSO app, similar to choosing different Game Boy screens.

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

kkslider5552000

Ulysses wrote:

@kkslider5552000 I want to agree that Metroid Prime 4 is a candidate, but the cynical side of me just doesn't think the Metroid brand is big enough to drive the entire financial quarter from Nintendo's perspective.
IMHO, it needs to be one of the big 3: Mario, Zelda or Pokemon.

I mean it could easily be both Zelda and Metroid. Or maybe that rumored new Mario baseball game.

Also it might just not matter because Switch 2 is coming anyway. Nintendo is not AS beholden to shareholders as your average AAA game company regardless.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

PikminMarioKirby

@Ulysses GameCube NSO would be great, although it may have to miss out on a few titles. The only reason I don't think it's coming soon is because of Metroid Prime Remastered, Pikmin 1+2, and TTYD remake all releasing in such a short span.

However, if it did happen, here are the games I think could be on the GameCube NSO:

1. Super Mario Sunshine
2. Luigi's Mansion
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee
4. Metroid Prime
5. Animal Crossing
6. Kirby Air Ride
7. Pikmin
8. Metroid Prime 2
9. Wind Waker
10. Twilight Princess
11. Mario Baseball
12. Mario Golf
13. Mario Power Tennis
14-17. Mario Party 4-7
18. Pokemon Colosseum
19. Super Mario Strikers (maybe)
20-21. Star Fox games

Games that likely couldn't:
1.Pikmin 2 (Nintendo likely lost rights to use some of the products/music, changed in Switch edition)
2.Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Japanese version had a violent reference in one of the houses)
3. Donkey Konga (DK Bongos I think are an important part to the game)
4. Sonic games (may not be able to get the rights, especially if Sega plans to bring these games back themselves)

Also there are problems like with some of the Mario Parties I think using a Mic, which could mean that content isn't available for the NSO version.

Edited on by PikminMarioKirby

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Remake HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grumblevolcano

@PikminMarioKirby The bongo situation is easily solvable as Nintendo are happy enough to release NSO controllers, what isn't solvable however is music licensing considering there's a load of licensed music in those games. It's the same reason why you can't play Xbox 360 music games like The Beatles Rock Band and Guitar Hero Metallica on XB1/Series X|S.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I mean it could easily be both Zelda and Metroid. Or maybe that rumored new Mario baseball game.

I know the baseball game has been floated a bit. It's one of the few Mario Sports games isn't on Switch so it makes some sense. But also Baseball isn't particularly big outside of NA and Japan, so much so that the previous entry in the series only released in those two regions. I know, I know, those are the two biggest markets, but they're not all of it. I don't think the one key holiday title will be something with such limited global appeal

For Mario? I don't think the timing works for a new mainline 2D or 3D Mario game. Wonder was last year and I think that they'd save a new 3D Mario for Switch 2. Non-controversial opinion I know. There could well be a Mario spin off, maybe in addition to that Baseball game if it happens, but most Nintendo titles are Mario spin offs so that's not really much of a prediction either. Mario and Sonic is a non-zero chance given it's an Olympic year although that we haven't heard anything yet makes me think the series is dead

Zelda feels a bit more likely. Obviously a new full 3D Zelda is a mile away so that's not happening. And my gut feeling is that if they were to do DLC for TotK they'd maybe tie it in with a graphical boost on Switch 2 so they can use their most expensive Switch game to drive Switch 2 sales. But 2D Zelda, new or remake, and 3D remakes/re-releases could be a thing.

I know everyone since forever has been saying Wind Waker HD so it's the cliché answer but, it's a cliché because it makes so much sense. But there are other things they could do with Zelda. It's just a question of whether you do it on Switch or you wait for the 4K/HDR capabilities of Switch 2. I think Wind Waker is fine on Switch and Twilight Princess could benefit from high res texture work

OoT/MM are interesting, I think that a remake could be done but there's only so far you could go without destroying the character of those games. And the distance I think would be appropriate to go (basically how far the 3DS games went) probably isn't a full retail title. Maybe as a bundle either together or OoT with Wind Waker. But not on their own

..... I still think there's space for something way out of left field but. Being way out of left field though by definition it's impossible to predict. So my prediction is basically that the holiday lineup will be something like:

• Wind Waker HD
  • Mario & Sonic
  • Something else mid-tier nobody is predicting

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

WoomyNNYes

I'm guessing we'll find out what the holiday headliner will be in September - sometimes early September, sometimes late. ...And now that I've jinxed it, maybe they'll announce the holiday game in October.

But if Nintendo reveals stuff this spring/summer, I totally welcome it.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

PikaPhantom

My baseline, somewhat safe prediction is that we'll see Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess in early October, Metroid Prime 4 in late October, and the long-rumored EPD Tokyo DK (which is realistically going to be that 2D action game they had job listings for in the past) as the November game. I doubt that's been pushed to the Switch successor. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been done for a year or two, and they've just held off on it until they can release it at an opportune time. Heck, Mario vs. Donkey Kong debuted a new Donkey Kong logo design, and I sincerely doubt it was made for that game. I don't at all think the delay of Donkey Kong Country at Super Nintendo World has anything to do with this, but I guess now it'll be opening much closer to the end of the year, so they could definitely create some solid brand synergy depending on the timing of things.

PikaPhantom

skywake

There's also a huge well of games they could do HD remakes of. Obviously some stuff seems less likely given it'd overlap a bit with NSO. But the 3DS, DS, Wii and GC existed and none of that stuff is on NSO. And there's a fair bit of stuff there. I mean the obvious ones everyone always mentions, Prime and Wind Waker but I'm also thinking Super Mario 3D Land, A Link Between Worlds, Donkey Kong Country Returns. Maybe they go for Kirby Epic Yarn or even go for Yoshi's Woolly World, one of the few titles from Wii U they haven't ported

Also, speaking of NSO, don't discount the possibility of something on NSO to fill the gaps. I think it's entirely possible they put Pokemon on NSO this year. Feels like a fairly easy way to distract people towards the tail end of the year while they wait for the, by then surely announced, Switch 2

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Coversnail

Well I'm going to say Xenoblade Chronicles X remaster, for no good reason other than I'd like to play it!

Realistically maybe some kind of 2d Kirby game.

Coversnail

Matt_Barber

I think they've already been leaning a bit too heavily on the remakes and remasters this year. They're all well and good for schedule fillers, but when the only original games announced have been Endless Ocean and Princess Peach, they really to be getting a few more.

That said, I don't think it makes sense to release a new Mario or Zelda, or even Metroid Prime 4, as they'd be a bit of lame duck if people think they could just hold on a few months to get a better version on new hardware. Pokemon, maybe, because that's traditionally thrived on older cheaper hardware, but it'd be a bit odd to announce a game coming in 2025 before one this year.

Most likely, I think they'll be rounding out the Switch's lifetime with a string of new games in second tier franchises. Things like Yoshi, Kirby, a Warriors spinoff of something, another themed Fitness Boxing, or maybe a Switch Sports or Ring Fit follow up. Switch software is still doing far too good business for there to be nothing, or just a string of remakes, though.

Edited on by Matt_Barber

Matt_Barber

Dogorilla

I still think Donkey Kong is a good bet. I can't see the big holiday release being yet another port; I know we're late in the Switch's lifespan but it's Nintendo's second most successful console ever, they're not going to suddenly stop making brand new games for it before the next console is out. DK is a pretty big seller (Returns is in the top 20 best selling Wii games), he hasn't had a new game in a decade, and he's just had a big role in the Mario movie and is getting his own theme park section. Even ignoring any rumours that may be going round, it just makes sense that there'd be a new Donkey Kong game on the horizon.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Ulysses

@Matt_Barber Firstly about your point about Pokemon Legends, remember that Legends Arceus ended up releasing just a few months after Brilliant Diamon / Shining Pearl. BDSP slotted in for the holiday season, and both titles ended up selling 12+million copies regardless, so I think Nintendo feels comfortable doing it again with Legends ZA + a holiday season Pokemon game.

But regarding your overall point I fully agree; I think it's likely they'll barrage the market with a lineup of smaller support games this year: spinoff franchises like Mario Sports/etc., AA IP like Yoshi and Kirby games, a Pokemon remake (perhaps XY to tie in with Legends ZA), and remakes/ports of Zelda.

Since all signs are pointing to an early 2025 Switch 2 launch, we can't help but doubt that the major AAA titles will be saved for the Switch 2.

However, there is one small possibility of the new 3D Mario rumor being true, which is that the new mainline 3D Mario game can be downscaled as a Switch port, and will mimic BOTW as a cross-gen title.

If Nintendo feels pressured enough by the shareholders, then they could pull the trigger on the new 3D Mario title and cross their fingers that a nerfed Switch port won't dampen the excitement for the Switch 2 version.

However, 3D Mario could be the perfect game to market the Switch 2 as a desirable upgrade console, with a seamless transfer from your Switch copy to the Switch 2, with instant graphics and content upgrades. In that sense, I could see Nintendo being willing to push through a compromised Switch port of the new 3D Mario game.

Ulysses

shadow-wolf

A lot of good ideas floating around! I do think Metroid Prime 4 will be saved for Switch 2 — it may not have the same impact as Mario or Zelda but it's increasing in popularity and it's one of the Nintendo franchises that would benefit the most from increased graphical power. It'll still come to the original Switch but it should be a release of both at the same time, not the regular Switch version early since that would negatively affect Switch 2 game sales (similar reason why BotW released simultaneously on both Wii U and Switch).

Speaking of which , Prime 2 and Prime 3 are possible ports as well!

Mario baseball is a good idea, but @Ulysses I doubt the new 3D Mario will come to Switch 1. More sales would result but 3D Mario is a really good system seller, keep it also on Switch 1 and you lose a huge reason to get Switch 2.

shadow-wolf

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic