Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 8,701 to 8,720 of 69,969

skywake

Things that could make me happy to pay the subscription:

1. Discounts that are worth at least as much as the subscription fee
2. Bonuses that are worth at least as much as the subscription fee
3. As a once every now and then, one month thing for the occasional killer app
4. If they allow me subscribe using google play (I effectively get bonus credit on my phone plan)

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Octane

@FragRed I agree with you, even about 1-2-Switch, don't think Arms is a throwaway party title. I'm getting some Overwatch/Battleborn vibes from that game with modern, detailed cartoony artstyle. Looks good. Now the only issue is that's it's probably just 1v1 matches, and it's $60. Unless there's some hefty story mode, other single player options and different multiplayer modes, then I can see why 60 bucks may be too expensive.

Octane

shaneoh

Therad wrote:

for the last couple of years even MMO has moved away from subs.

Yeah, very few manage to survive on subscriptions, they're heading towards microtransactions

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Grumblevolcano

Looking back to MK8 Deluxe, there's not many characters left from past Mario Kart games not in that game.

• Donkey Kong Jr. (SMK)
  • Diddy Kong (MKDD, MKWii)
  • Funky Kong (MKWii)
  • Petey Piranha (MKDD)
  • Birdo (MKDD, MKWii)
  • Paratroopa (MKDD)
  • Honey Queen (MK7)

I think at least Petey Piranha and Birdo stand a chance of appearing if MK8 Deluxe gets DLC especially as both appeared in some main 2016 games.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Laice

i guess i will only be able to get it around september...

Laice

skywake

The more I think about it the more I realise that I'm not thinking about this system in the right way. I look at some of these games and think of them almost like they're smaller games. Not really full retail releases. So I basically write those games off as not particularly interesting. But I keep forgetting that the Switch is a home console, a portable system and a tablet.

So that Street Fighter game? As a home console game it's kinda a bit boring. As a game you can play on a portable screen with two little controllers it's pretty damn cool. 1-2-Switch seems like an odd game as a traditional console game. But if you think of it as a kind of games night sort of thing rather than a game played on the TV? It actually sounds pretty cool.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

TromboneGamer

Is it just me or are the majority of switch games running on Unreal, including first party? I mean even if that is the case that's not, well... necessarily a bad thing, but proprietary engines and the like seem less than ideal for ports.

My Twitch

3DS Friend Code: 5412-9902-3413 | Nintendo Network ID: TromboneGamer | Twitter:

diwdiws

If you dont see yourself playing on the go, the better option is just to buy a PS4. Switch's only appeal (beside gaming preference) it seems is its mobility. :-/

diwdiws

meleebrawler

@skywake I know, right? I personally wouldn't have been too excited if they announced, say, a traditional Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing, but I also know tons love those games even if I don't.

I'm glad to see this thread isn't suffering too much opinion whiplash or conclusion-jumping. I don't hold full opinions without full info, and that stance remains after this presentation. I remain cautiously optimistic (I almost never pre-order anything, I'm a patient man. This also means I don't mind waiting a bit for new games, especially since I still have Monster Hunter Generations and potentially Hyrule Warriors Legends now that I have a N3DS to tide me over in case BOTW isn't sufficient).

As far as paid online, the only game that might bug me with is Splatoon, but they could easily address that by making bot matches possible.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Azooooz

Guys, Nintendo Treehouse is about to start in 20 minutes. So a big chance that they will announce more launch titles. Be patient and "Switch to Play".

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

WebHead

im guessing nintendo hopes 1 2 switch is the next Wii Sports?

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

jump

Azooooz wrote:

Guys, Nintendo Treehouse is about to start in 20 minutes. So a big chance that they will announce more launch titles. Be patient and "Switch to Play".

Big chance or clutching at straws?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

JoyBoy

Okay which Switch system do you prefer? The colored one or the grey one?

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

dtjive

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

@dtjive

I don't know what some of you were expecting from Nintendo. A PS4? The Switch is a Nintendo console: you should have expected the usual Nintendo fare, lots of quirky Japanese video games, and the occasional Western video game. Guess what you got?

I was expecting something that would appeal to me, and something that would be new to me coming from a Wii U. So far what i've seen is:

They spent half the presentation telling me what's new about the wiimotes, sorry I mean joy cons. I don't care about HD rumble, IR camera etc. In terms of games:

Zelda: BotW- which will be available on the Wii U
MK8: already on the Wii U but this one will have a few new characters and an improved battle mode. No new race tracks though which is a major bummer
Splatoon2: jury out on this one- how much will it really be different from the first? (of which I was only lukewarm on anyway)- interested to see what single player mode will be like I guess before deciding
Lego City Undercover: had this already on the Wii U
Mario Odyssey: looks great but only out in the fall
1-2 Switch: no, no, no
Arms: don't think that's my type of game

I'm not saying I was expecting an amazing launch lineup. I get that it makes sense for Nintendo to dripfeed games but I'd have actually hoped to have heard more about some of the progress of their IPs: Metroid, Pikmin, Mario Party, Pokemon, F-Zero and so on. We didn't hear anything about virtual console either which would have interested me.

Overall what I've heard is that they want me to spend £280 on a new console that for my own personal preferences (and I stress the personal bit- others can have every right to disagree) is light on new content on a system that is supposed to be designed to prevent software shortages. MK, BotW, Lego City are all on Wii U. Not only that but the price of games has gone up (£50 for MK? really?); accessories are hella expensive; and they want us to pay for online (without even trying to convince us why it's worth it!).

You can disagree if you want and think its fantastic, but I'm just not feeling the hype so much as I was before the presentation. Personally, I can't see this appealing beyond Nintendo's corebase and until it drops in price and more big titles are available it'll do average-poor sales wise. I'm just hoping that it won't be irreversible by that point.

dtjive

jump

There are new race tracks in Mario Kart, there's a Splatoon course and probably which will be seen in the treehouse.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

bezerker99

That event was a complete was of my time. Outside of Mario, it was all forgettable and underwhelming imo. I'll be spending my $299.99 elsewhere come March 3rd. lol

-Green-

I'm buying it. It'll be nice to get a new handheld console.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

dtjive

jump wrote:

There are new race tracks in Mario Kart, there's a Splatoon course and probably which will be seen in the treehouse.

Those are battle tracks, not race tracks

dtjive

Ryu_Niiyama

@WinterSugoi Wait what? hold on... (goes off to check...sees story of seasons announcement) First off: YEEEEEEESSSSSSS!
Second off: I am going to be so broke this year. Sigh.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Dezzy

So who else thinks that on March 3rd we'll just see hundreds of thousands of people buy old Wii U consoles for the sake of playing Zelda and just ignore the Switch?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic