Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 8,681 to 8,700 of 69,993

Azooooz

Good morning/evening, guys! I'd like to give you my impressions (more like a review) about the Nintendo Switch presentation. Be warned: this will be a long one.

1.System Info (like price, features, release date, etc.): At the beginning of the presentation, we finally saw Tatsumi Kimishima in person, though I got used to seeing Iwata much. I liked the features of the Nintendo Switch, like local wireless gameplay (Multiple Switch Multiplayer, two players on a Switch screen, and play on the go. Joy-Con is, in my view, the evolution of the Wii Remote, and it gives more options for players how to game. The size is something that I have to grab it to find it myself if it's small or just right. The battery like is going to vary, depending on the game. This will not bother me, as USB-C connection cable is sold almost everywhere, no more propriety cables. The price is not bad, though they should have bundled a game with it. I feel sorry who lives in country where the console is a bit expensive. The release date was very surprising for me. I was expecting mid or 3rd week of March, but March 3rd? I am very pleased that we are getting this very soon. I have to agree with some people here that Nintendo needs to do better at pricing their product, but maybe there are features in a controller like Pro controller, which can't be found in other competitors, that justify the price.

2. Services: Finally, no more region locking, which means we can play any Switch game, regardless of where you buy it. I personally never had a problem with this, as all the games I buy are the ones that are released worldwide. Now for the hot topic: Online Subscription. Until Nintendo gives us a video presentation about it, everyone would assume that it's going to ruin the Switch's hype. To be honest, I have seen it coming from far away, and I think this is because of the Nintendo/DeNA partnership for network infrastructure that may give us premium online gameplay. The only puzzle piece remains is the subscription plan (like price, monthly/yearly basis). Parental Control: I'm not married, though soon, but this is enhanced in a pretty good ways. You can control how long your child play, and also online restriction, because they know Internet is a bad place.

3. Games: the main ingredients of all gaming system, and without them, they are only shells. There are plenty of games announce for Switch, but only a few of them has been announce, mainly the 1st party games. New IP game like ARMS looks interesting, I don't know why people are disappointed. It looks like a games that's going to waste my time with, and I may keep my eyes on it to know more info about the games. Also, Laura Kate Dale is going to get flamed by many for her false rumours. She's the reason that many were disappointed. I told you not to trust her, but you didn't listen. Anyway, The 3rd party games look great, from Skyrim to Bomberman to Sonic games. And the best part of this: There are even more games that are going to be announced, particularly this month and the next. Games are what define the console, not spec, and I like how Nintendo is focusing on that.

All in all, I'm really impressed at what presented today, and I look forward to trying this console out. Thanks for reading guys.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

JoyBoy

^ a good read! I already preordered!

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

skywake

People who want to see something negative will find it. They'll even read into the fact that Nintendo didn't go into details about one thing or another as confirmation of the worst. Like how no talk of specs confirms that it's seriously underpowered. Or how no talk of the VC means they're going to have no games and not honour previous purchases.

Speaking of, I'm really hoping we hear more about the VC soon. I kinda thought they'd jump into that during the presentation. Especially when they started to go into a bit about how the Switch contains the DNA of previous systems. Guys, if it has the DNA of the Gamecube and Wii... can we get those games digitally? Maybe?

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

I've sure come to realize that people will complain about anything.

Before this reveal, EVERYONE was saying they wanted better online from Nintendo - but of course, nobody wants to pay
Before this reveal, EVERYONE was saying they want tons of 3rd-party stuff on Switch, even exclusives
Before this reveal, EVERYONE was hoping Zelda would be a launch title

Well, we're getting better online. We're getting tons of 3rd-party games. We're getting Zelda.

And people are upset.

I've already preordered mine, and I may be taking a hiatus from forums. I'm kinda just losing my faith in people to act rationally. Happy playing to all, whatever console you decide is worthy of your attention.

rallydefault

Octane

Can I just say that I really liked Koizumi presenting the Joy-Cons, that guy needs to do the Directs.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

I preordered stuff this morning (the reason why I went to sleep early and woke up at 3am rather than stay awake until the presentation ended and then slept):

• Nintendo Switch Grey
  • BotW Limited Edition
  • MK8 Deluxe
  • Splatoon 2
  • Switch Accessory pack (owning screen protectors is a MUST)
  • Pro Controller

Really looking forward to the Treehouse stream.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JoyBoy

@rallydefault I don't think people are as rational as you might think. Watch people turn from negative to positive just as easy as Koizumi snaps his fingers, Switch logo style.

SW-7849-9887-2074

skywake

rallydefault wrote:

Well, we're getting better online. We're getting tons of 3rd-party games. We're getting Zelda.

And people are upset.

To be fair they didn't really talk about online at all other than to say it's now paid. They've since pushed out a parental controls bit that shows some interesting connectivity. But that's about it. And third parties? Tones of games? Well, from Japan maybe. There isn't much western third party support.

I mean I'm hyped because Zelda and Mario looked fantastic. But lets not pretend that this was a perfect presentation.

rallydefault

@skywake
Oh? You don't think confirmed new Fifa, Skyrim, Octopath, Sonic, Dragonball, Dragon Quest (multiple - about 4 games), Minecraft, Street Fighter, Steep, Fast Racing Neo, Just Dance, Bomberman, Rime is "much"?

You're daft, man. I'll get a good chuckle seeing you try to explain those games away as not "much." I don't give a dang where my games are coming from: Japan, the West, Zimbabwe - if they're fun games, they're fun games. You're nitpicking to a degree I've actually yet to see, and that's saying a lot.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

JoyBoy

@skywake It still was a good presentation though. Your expectations not being addressed is a different story altogether.

SW-7849-9887-2074

jump

It really is a low bar if people are getting excited about a new FIFA game coming out.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

ruinez

They should really consider to lower the price, if ps4 or xbox get an price cut this year then switch will struggle to sell anything.. I doubt with the current price that it will outsell vita or even wii U...

ruinez

skywake

rallydefault wrote:

Oh? You don't think confirmed new Fifa, Skyrim, Octopath, Sonic, Dragonball, Dragon Quest, Minecraft, Street Fighter, Steep, Fast Racing Neo, Just Dance, Bomberman, Rime is "much"?

You're daft, man. I'll get a good chuckle seeing you try to explain those games away as not "much." I don't give a dang where my games are coming from: Japan, the West, Zimbabwe - if they're fun games, they're fun games. You're nitpicking to a degree I've actually yet to see, and that's saying a lot.

I wasn't talking about myself, I was playing devil's advocate. As I said I'm hyped because of Mario and Zelda and for me that's all I needed. But saying there was a huge amount of third party support is a bit of a stretch. Of the games you just listed most of them aren't really big releases. And of the few that are FIFA is probably the only game that's not years old that has a global audience.

What would have blown the lid off this presentation would have been something like Dark Souls. Maybe a Persona or something like a confirmation of the FF7 remake. People theorised about games like Overwatch before the event, something along those lines. Or even something entirely new and unexpected. Instead during the third party section we got FIFA and a weird bit where Sega didn't really announce anything. Hell, they had EA on stage and we only got FIFA announced. Not Battlefield, Battlefront or Madden and FIFA. Just FIFA.

I'm not getting my doom on or anything, I'm just saying it wasn't as mind-blowing as you make it sound. It was ok but not fantastic in terms of third parties. And to be honest if this is all we get from third parties this year? The Wii U had a better start with third parties. I just assume that we'll get a lot more at E3.

Edited on by skywake

shaneoh

rallydefault wrote:

Before this reveal, EVERYONE was saying they wanted better online from Nintendo - but of course, nobody wants to pay

We pay when we buy the games. Online PC games manage to survive without a subscription fee (unless you're an MMO), but for some reason console games can't.
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/06/zelda_breath_of_the_...
If a game like Breath of the Wild requires 2 million copies sold to turn a profit, then I think Splatoon's upwards of 4.5 million units sold has more than covered the server costs.

Also, for the record, I've had no issue with Nintendo's online service .

Edited on by shaneoh

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

skywake

Aside from Splatoon I'm ok with not going online for any of the games announced thus far. Even Mario Kart I'd be ok with just playing vs CPUs or with local multiplayer modes. Now with a game like Splatoon it's a different story. But Zelda doesn't need it, Mario doesn't and Mario Kart I couldn't care less. So I'm waiting to see what the monthly rate is, what those discounts are like and what the deal with the SNES/NES games is.

Edited on by skywake

FragRed

After about 6 hours to think over what I saw this morning, I've come to the conclusion that I was both excited but greatly disappointed.

Nintendo started off badly with a hefty launch price for the console and then revealed 2 party games that appear to be essentially aimed at the Wii audience. Only this time I don't see any of them caring. The games just looked bad.

In fact I didn't really get a great vibe from any games shown off and that includes Mario. That game looked too out of place seeing him in a New York setting, and I'm not overly impressed by the levels shoebox either. But I'm hopeful future gameplay and trailers will change my mind before it launches this holiday.

Zelda and Bomberman are actually 2 games I want day one and probably the main reason I'm keeping my pre-order.

However the prices for the accessories... holy crap what are Nintendo thinking? It's just ridiculously high! Insane even! That alone would be enough to put off a fair amount of gamers. And then there's the paid online which seems to only let you have 1 free NES or SNES game per month along with some discounts on games.

I just hope that Nintendo haven't done a Microsoft and hurt their chances too much too soon.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Therad

shaneoh wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

We pay when we buy the games. Online PC games manage to survive without a subscription fee (unless you're an MMO), but for some reason console games can't.
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/06/zelda_breath_of_the_...
If a game like Breath of the Wild requires 2 million copies sold to turn a profit, then I think Splatoon's upwards of 4.5 million units sold has more than covered the server costs.

Also, for the record, I've had no issue with Nintendo's online service .

for the last couple of years even MMO has moved away from subs.

Therad

dtjive

For the last 6 months I've been super confident in selling my Wii U and upgrading to the Switch. In fact, I've started selling some of my games to fund the Switch. I even pre-ordered the Switch this morning albeit hesitantly.

Having just woken up again, I'm tempted to cancel my order and keep my Wii U. I've gone from 100% on board to almost being out. Nintendo have really dropped the ball on this one imo.

dtjive

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic