Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 8,681 to 8,700 of 58,221

iKhan

Nintendo has a pricing problem, and it's going to bury them.

It killed Mario Run. It's going to kill 1, 2 Switch, and possibly the Switch itself.

Nintendo needs to do a better job of focus testing how to price it.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

PrincessSugoi

@Ryu_Niiyama Yes I did. :3 I was confident Japanese devs would flock to this console and that a floodgate would be release after the presentation but goodness. The more I scroll back on NintendoEverything, the more updates come through!

... OMG STORY OF SEASONS SWITCH. ADFMFGNGJFNfgjgnnne I wasn't expecting to hear anything Switch related for that series for another year at least. How am I supposed to go to sleep tonight with all this post presentation stuff keeping me hype?!

Current Playlist: Age of Calamity, Stardew Valley, ACNH

Hopeless permanent resident of Idol Hell.

3DS Friend Code: 4184-2503-1604 | Nintendo Network ID: sasamitails

skywake

Thinking about the pricing a bit more and when you break it down into components? I wonder why we ever thought it'd be cheap. Consider this list of Australian prices for similar components:

$99AU - USB Type C, Display Port alt-mode HDMI adaptor + Charging
$69AU - Wii Remote
$29AU - 3DS NFC reader

Technically the dock is basically the same deal as the first item. The Joycons are basically Wii Remotes except the second one also has NFC. Those are retail prices but together that's already over $250AU. Even if there's a profit margin across those components at like 50% or something. That's still over $100AU. AND they have to squeeze in a tablet in there also.

With hindsight I think we were kidding ourselves thinking it'd come in at $250US/$380AU. The people who thought the GamePad added a lot to the cost of the Wii U? I think the Dock and Joycons are about 2x the BOM cost of the GamePad. I haven't seen any pricing yet but I reckon if they're selling the dock separately it's almost surely going for ~$100US.

edit: Noticed that EBGames has a lot of stuff up now. All stuff we know but there are some dates. Kinda.
Launch: Zelda, 1-2 Switch, Just Dance
Launch Window: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
2017: Mario, Splatoon, Arms, Has Been Heroes, Lego City, FIFA, NBA
TBA: Skyrim, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Disgaea, Octopath, Dragonball, Farming Sim, Minecraft, Rayman, Shin Megami Tensei, Steep, Sonic, I Am Setsuna, Skylanders

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

OorWullie

It says the SNES or NES game we can choose from every month will have online play added,that's been a long time wish of mine.I'm assuming we'll get to keep it for as long as we're subscribed.They're not going to go to the bother of adding online and only have it playable for 1 month.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

JoyBoy

Maybe the first month is free! Who am I kidding, right?

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

skywake

@Spanjard
From what they've said so far online is still free until around August. Also I did read somewhere that the subscription service will only be available in the US, Canada and Mexico at launch. Whatever that means. No online at all for everyone else until later? Maybe they'll have separate deals for different regions....

@shaneoh
Hopefully there are some launch day deals going around. You just know that someone like Target is going to slash that price something ridiculous. That always happens. Right?

ThainEshKelch

I can't believe there are only 2 games announced for the consoles release, and one is even a gimmick game.

ThainEshKelch

Therad

The switch has the same msrp as the PS4 slim and Xbox one S as an comparison.

Therad

Therad

ThainEshKelch wrote:

I can't believe there are only 2 games announced for the consoles release, and one is even a gimmick game.

Me neither, since it has more than 2!

Therad

Azooooz

Good morning/evening, guys! I'd like to give you my impressions (more like a review) about the Nintendo Switch presentation. Be warned: this will be a long one.

1.System Info (like price, features, release date, etc.): At the beginning of the presentation, we finally saw Tatsumi Kimishima in person, though I got used to seeing Iwata much. I liked the features of the Nintendo Switch, like local wireless gameplay (Multiple Switch Multiplayer, two players on a Switch screen, and play on the go. Joy-Con is, in my view, the evolution of the Wii Remote, and it gives more options for players how to game. The size is something that I have to grab it to find it myself if it's small or just right. The battery like is going to vary, depending on the game. This will not bother me, as USB-C connection cable is sold almost everywhere, no more propriety cables. The price is not bad, though they should have bundled a game with it. I feel sorry who lives in country where the console is a bit expensive. The release date was very surprising for me. I was expecting mid or 3rd week of March, but March 3rd? I am very pleased that we are getting this very soon. I have to agree with some people here that Nintendo needs to do better at pricing their product, but maybe there are features in a controller like Pro controller, which can't be found in other competitors, that justify the price.

2. Services: Finally, no more region locking, which means we can play any Switch game, regardless of where you buy it. I personally never had a problem with this, as all the games I buy are the ones that are released worldwide. Now for the hot topic: Online Subscription. Until Nintendo gives us a video presentation about it, everyone would assume that it's going to ruin the Switch's hype. To be honest, I have seen it coming from far away, and I think this is because of the Nintendo/DeNA partnership for network infrastructure that may give us premium online gameplay. The only puzzle piece remains is the subscription plan (like price, monthly/yearly basis). Parental Control: I'm not married, though soon, but this is enhanced in a pretty good ways. You can control how long your child play, and also online restriction, because they know Internet is a bad place.

3. Games: the main ingredients of all gaming system, and without them, they are only shells. There are plenty of games announce for Switch, but only a few of them has been announce, mainly the 1st party games. New IP game like ARMS looks interesting, I don't know why people are disappointed. It looks like a games that's going to waste my time with, and I may keep my eyes on it to know more info about the games. Also, Laura Kate Dale is going to get flamed by many for her false rumours. She's the reason that many were disappointed. I told you not to trust her, but you didn't listen. Anyway, The 3rd party games look great, from Skyrim to Bomberman to Sonic games. And the best part of this: There are even more games that are going to be announced, particularly this month and the next. Games are what define the console, not spec, and I like how Nintendo is focusing on that.

All in all, I'm really impressed at what presented today, and I look forward to trying this console out. Thanks for reading guys.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

JoyBoy

^ a good read! I already preordered!

SW-7849-9887-2074

skywake

People who want to see something negative will find it. They'll even read into the fact that Nintendo didn't go into details about one thing or another as confirmation of the worst. Like how no talk of specs confirms that it's seriously underpowered. Or how no talk of the VC means they're going to have no games and not honour previous purchases.

Speaking of, I'm really hoping we hear more about the VC soon. I kinda thought they'd jump into that during the presentation. Especially when they started to go into a bit about how the Switch contains the DNA of previous systems. Guys, if it has the DNA of the Gamecube and Wii... can we get those games digitally? Maybe?

rallydefault

I've sure come to realize that people will complain about anything.

Before this reveal, EVERYONE was saying they wanted better online from Nintendo - but of course, nobody wants to pay
Before this reveal, EVERYONE was saying they want tons of 3rd-party stuff on Switch, even exclusives
Before this reveal, EVERYONE was hoping Zelda would be a launch title

Well, we're getting better online. We're getting tons of 3rd-party games. We're getting Zelda.

And people are upset.

I've already preordered mine, and I may be taking a hiatus from forums. I'm kinda just losing my faith in people to act rationally. Happy playing to all, whatever console you decide is worthy of your attention.

rallydefault

Octane

Can I just say that I really liked Koizumi presenting the Joy-Cons, that guy needs to do the Directs.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

I preordered stuff this morning (the reason why I went to sleep early and woke up at 3am rather than stay awake until the presentation ended and then slept):

• Nintendo Switch Grey
  • BotW Limited Edition
  • MK8 Deluxe
  • Splatoon 2
  • Switch Accessory pack (owning screen protectors is a MUST)
  • Pro Controller

Really looking forward to the Treehouse stream.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JoyBoy

@rallydefault I don't think people are as rational as you might think. Watch people turn from negative to positive just as easy as Koizumi snaps his fingers, Switch logo style.

SW-7849-9887-2074

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic