Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 861 to 880 of 70,058

skywake

@WebHead: As a lover of PC components and one time huge AMD fanboy? From a tech point of view it blows my mind that both the PS4 and XBOne use AMD components. I get that it probably made manufacture simpler but still. There's Intel and NVidia sitting in their corner making super power efficient chips. These guys instead put less power efficient AMD components in their tiny box that sits under the TV.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

WebHead

@skywake: nvidia probably isn't interested as they have basically monopoly on the PC/GPU market, do AMD was probably cheaper. Same with intel. Intel and Nvidia own the PC market. AMD has probably gotten a nice chunk of change from the Jaguar duo.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

skywake

@WebHead: Yeah, I know it would have come down to cost. But still. Imagine how slick a Nintendo home console could be if it had an Intel CPU and NVidia GPU. A guy can dream right?

GrailUK

The only console I don't know about is Xbox1.5. Is that actually a thing?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

WebHead

@GrailUK: IRS not official but heavily implied by Phil when it was announced that Xbox and windows 10 will be unified. And if Sony is making a new ps4 Microsoft is likely making a new xbone

WebHead

GrailUK

@WebHead: Ow ok thanks

DefHalan

TomJ wrote:

Guys? What do you think?

Our devkit’s controller:

Doesn’t have an oval screen. Ours is a standard rectangle.
Has physical buttons with a screen behind them. It doesn’t have a form shifting screen, nor does it have a touchscreen with haptic feedback.
Is hardwired to the devkit, which looks like a boring black box with some USB ports and a disc drive.
However, that fake does get a couple things right. It does have scroll wheel shoulder buttons, but in addition to them it also has two regular shoulder buttons labeled ZL and ZR. It also has a headphone jack in the bottom of the controller.
Some other things I can tell you:

I don’t know if the NX is backwards compatible with the Wii U or 3DS or not, but it doesn’t look like it is. The system is different enough from both that I think it would be hard to play games from other consoles.
The controller is sort of a game system in its own, but it’s not a replacement for the 3DS. It works like a companion app on a phone, and you can take it with you and control some things from your game, like how the VMU on the Dreamcast let you take a Chao with you and train it.
No one outside Nintendo knows what the NX’s name is. It’s still the NX here internally.

External source: Wii U Daily http://wiiudaily.com/2016/03/nintendo-nx-rumors-suggest-power/

Sounds like this one

GrailUK wrote:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/nintendo...

April fools I reckon...but crikey this is VERY close to what I was imagining

They just sound so boring. Nothing really seems interesting. Also having a controller that you can take away and play small games or apps on, and having a separate handheld system sounds like a terrible idea.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

@TomJ:
It could be true. There's nothing in there that jumps out as me as being nonsense. But it's a safe bet and the number of supposed leaks coming out makes me doubt it. It seems like every public forum relating to Nintendo has someone posting something. It's just gone crazy since the controller leaks.

I do like the idea of the controller having some basic functions though. Maybe being small enough that you can pocket it and use it for streetpass. I could even see them going as far as letting you play NES VC games on it. That wouldn't be a stretch. It's a far more realistic idea than the ones where people have the controller literally being a decent portable in its own right.

Edited on by skywake

haigh1011

Random question

What do people mean when they said they want the NX to have OSI?

haigh1011

iKhan

DefHalan wrote:

TomJ wrote:

Guys? What do you think?

Our devkit’s controller:

Doesn’t have an oval screen. Ours is a standard rectangle.
Has physical buttons with a screen behind them. It doesn’t have a form shifting screen, nor does it have a touchscreen with haptic feedback.
Is hardwired to the devkit, which looks like a boring black box with some USB ports and a disc drive.
However, that fake does get a couple things right. It does have scroll wheel shoulder buttons, but in addition to them it also has two regular shoulder buttons labeled ZL and ZR. It also has a headphone jack in the bottom of the controller.
Some other things I can tell you:

I don’t know if the NX is backwards compatible with the Wii U or 3DS or not, but it doesn’t look like it is. The system is different enough from both that I think it would be hard to play games from other consoles.
The controller is sort of a game system in its own, but it’s not a replacement for the 3DS. It works like a companion app on a phone, and you can take it with you and control some things from your game, like how the VMU on the Dreamcast let you take a Chao with you and train it.
No one outside Nintendo knows what the NX’s name is. It’s still the NX here internally.

External source: Wii U Daily http://wiiudaily.com/2016/03/nintendo-nx-rumors-suggest-power/

If it's fake, I've gotta give him credit for actually sounding reasonable.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

GrailUK wrote:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/nintendo...

April fools I reckon...but crikey this is VERY close to what I was imagining

I just realised that the first time I read it I didn't get past the system specs. Discounted it just on the idea that it'd be as powerful as the PS4 and be ARM based. But I didn't notice this bit....

fake-leak wrote:

The controller is an independent unit, with specs on par with a mid tier smartphone. It has microSD functionality. The screen on the controller is 1080p

yeah, nah. That's even less likely then them moving to an ARM based CPU. It's just complete and utter nonsense. Do people realise that the cost of even an entry level smartphone is about the same as a 2DS? This bit is actually more technically possible than the bit about the ARM processor but there's no way they can sell that idea. Who's going to pay that much for a console?

Edited on by skywake

OorWullie

If it's true and a PS4.5/XBONE.5 are on the way,could it be because Sony and Microsoft know the NX will be the most powerful console for a few years if they don't counter it?Or maybe whatever Nintendo has planned for NX has them a little concerned that they could be on to something?

Probably not but just thought i'd throw some foolish optimism out there.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

DefHalan

Is it possible for Nintendo to create a lot of hype around the NX hardware? Lets think about it, without bringing up dream software titles we want to see, because everyone has a different dream software title that will sell the system no matter what. How could they showcase the NX well?

If they show a Home Console exactly as people expect, will anyone be excited? It is exactly what we expected, how could you be excited. If they show something no one expected, will people still be disappointed that Nintendo still isn't targeting their needs/wants? If they show what we expect but with a twist, how could that twist be big enough to create hype without falling too far away from what we expect? Have people built up the idea of the NX too much in their minds that no matter what Nintendo does, it will not get enough people excited?

almost made a separate thread for this, but wasn't sure if it was really needed lol

WebHead

@DefHalan: i don't think that's a question that has a good answer to it, too subjective.

WebHead

DefHalan

WebHead wrote:

i don't think that's a question that has a good answer to it, too subjective.

It probably is, which stopped me from making it as a new thread. I am just trying to think of how they can create excitement around the hardware and it will be difficult. Hopefully they can create excitement around the software because that will probably be overall better lol.

Octane

@DefHalan: Some people do seem to be set on an idea of what the NX is; and they appear to be pretty sure about it. Fortunately most gamers don't really pay that much attention to gaming news, they might've heard about the 'NX', but I doubt they've spent nights pondering about what it could be.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

DefHalan

@Octane: It isn't just a "gamer" problem, we have seen devs doing similar things. Expecting the NX will be a powerful Home Console, so they wait on supporting the Wii U and say they will support the NX.

Whydoievenbother

Does no one realize the obvious answer to what the NX is? It's obviously BACON!!!

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

GrailUK

@MrMario02: Oh yum! I love bacon

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic