Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 68,181 to 68,200 of 69,964

Anti-Matter

Untitled

Sword and Fairy Inn 2 will get physical release from play-asia.

Anti-Matter

JaxonH

Week from Thur/Fri we get

• Lara Croft Collection
  • AEW Fight Forever
  • Raincode
  • Ghost Trick
  • Ray'z Arcade Chronology
  • Raystorm HD Collection

Quite a span of games releasing in a 24 hr timespan. Raincode is my pick of the month, but I'm buying every single one of these games. Really hope AEW turns out good. Week after that we get

• Trails Into Reverie

Would easily be pick of the month if not for Pikmin 4. Week after that we get

• Atelier Marie Remake

Week after that we get the one and only

• Pikmin 4

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JONOFTHEJONS

@JaxonH I hope AEW on Switch isn’t a repeat of WWE 2K18.

You only need to know about my many obsessions, which consist of Lego, Fortnite, Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox games, drawing on my Tablet, Dragon Ball Z, My Hero Academia, Thomas The Tank Engine, Star Wars, and Ninjago.

NintendoByNature

Think im just going with aew. Maybe ghost trick. A good wrestling game needs attention and support on switch.

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@JONOFTHEJONS
Oh I know. I've been desperate for a good wrestling game on Switch reminiscent of the N64 days. Not only was it too sim like, the port was a disaster. Then I thought I found it with an arcade 2k game, the gameplay was great, but turned out to be too repetitive.

This is the one. It has to be. If this ain't it, we're never getting it.

@NintendoByNature
Not a Pikmin fan? When I played Pikmin 3 on Wii U, I was blown away by how good it was. Made me a series fan for life in one game. Played it all over again on Switch.

I'd also strongly recommend Trails Into Reverie. Thing is, this game is the culmination of the Cold Steel quadrilogy and the Crossbell duology, all of which is on Switch (except the first 2 games of Cold Steel are JP-only for some reason, but I started with Cold Steel 3 and it's story recap did wonders, plus the first 2 games kind of had a major story resolution at the end of 2 that naturally made 3 a decent starting point). But ya, the Trails games are soooooo freaking good. If you're into JRPGs, of course (which I know not everyone is).

What makes this one interesting is there are 3 main characters- the main character from the Crossbell duology Trails To Zero and Trails From Azure, the main character from the Erebonia quadrilogy Trails From Cold Steel 1, 2, 3 and 4, and a new mystery character. So it's gonna be quite the game tying everything together.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH ya know, I own pikmin 3 on wii u, bought it a year or so ago, and never tried it. Pikmin is up In the air for me right now.

I've become. Jrpg fan as the years have progressed, but I just sunk 130hrs into totk, and I'm unsure if I want another time sink just yet. I haven't tried any of the trails games either. Is there a better game to start with?

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
Either Trails of Cold Steel 3 or Trails From Zero.

Each story arc in the universe focuses on different main characters in a different country in the continent with their own unique struggles. There are characters that appear across multiple arcs, but generally speaking each arc can be enjoyed on its own.

The Trails From the Sky arc is trapped on older platforms. I wouldn't really recommend it unless you're a diehard fan trying to do a 100% run of every game in the series. The 2 others that we care about are the Crossbell arc featuring Lloyd Bannings, and the Erebonia arc featuring Rean Schwartzer.

The Crossbell arc consists of 2 games that released on PSP. Thankfully, both games got exquisite remasters that released on Switch, and are so good they actually are superior to the PS4 release. Countless additional features and QoL enhancements, visual improvements, etc. Trails From Zero and Trails To Azure. Just note, because they are originally PSP games, they have PSP graphics with the isometric view. Great games, but they are a bit dated (honestly though, aside from the older graphical style they hold up VERY well, especially with all the visual and QoL enhancements). Trails From Zero is the first game of the duology. That's the one to start with. The main character, Lloyd Bannings, is one of the 3 main characters in Trails Into Reverie thats about to release.

The Erebonia arc is the other one we care about. It consists of 4 games which originally released on PS3/Vita and PS4. Trails of Cold Steel, Trails of Cold Steel II, Trails of Cold Steel III and Trails of Cold Steel IV. All are on Switch, but the 1st two have yet to be localized, so Trails of Cold Steel III would be the one to start with (unless you resort to another platform). The main character is Rean Schwartzer, who is the 2nd main character of Trails Into Reverie.

I myself started with Trails of Cold Steel III. Despite dire warnings of super-fans that I absolutely can't start with that game, that's exactly what I did, and it actually turned out to be a great entry point. While all 4 games do tell a larger overall story, the first two games' main plot conflict is resolved at the end of the second game. So aside from not knowing some characters, the 3rd entry does make for a reasonably good 1st game. The main menu consists of a story synopsis for the previous 2 games, and while it's not the same as playing and experiencing it, it was more than enough to ensure I knew what was going on. And it's not like each game doesn't have its own self contained story anyways, and your party in 3 has mostly new characters besides Rean.

The thing is, Trails of Cold Steel games are much more modernized. With full 3D character models and exploration it feels like a modern game (because it is).

So Trails From Zero is probably the technically correct answer, but Trails of Cold Steel 3 is so much more modern and gripping as a result of more evolved gameplay mechanics, I feel very strongly about Cold Steel 3 being the game to start with. Take 15-20 min and read the story synopsis from the main menu, and dive right in. It's not like you can't go back and play earlier entries later if you want. In fact, that's what I did. I loved 3 so much, I went back and started playing the original Cold Steel on Steam, and was actually playing them concurrently for a while (eventually I just decided to drop the first and stick with 3 and 4).

I'd rank the series up there with Xenoblade Chronicles and Persona. Probably the most underrated JRPG series there is. Mostly because people see there are a ton of games, and super-fans insist they have to go back and start from square 1 otherwise they're not doing it right. Which, to be fair that would be the optimal choice. It's just that- at least for me, I don't want a have to go back and play half a dozen old, 100-hour JRPGs just to experience Cold Steel 3 the "right" way. I'll read my 20 minute story summary and be just fine, thank you. And I'm so glad I did. Cause if I felt I had to go aaaaall the way back to the first and play in order, I just never would have done it. And would have written the series off as requiring too much from the player to get invested. Whereas by jumping in, I'm having a blast. And now feel genuinely excited every time a new game in the series releases on Switch.

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH that's all good to hear. I've had 3 que'd up in my WL for years and it goes on sale regularly. The next time its on a sale, which happens regularly irrc, I'll grab it. I'm more in the camp of play what's easier to get stuck with as opposed to older titles just for the full experience. Thanks for the input.

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
I think you'll be more than pleasantly surprised. The combat system is possibly the best of any turn based game I've ever played. While I still regard Final Fantasy X as having the best "pure" turn based system, Trails dials it up to 11. And its kind of a hybrid system because you move around too- you're not just planted firmly in one spot trading blows. It's seriously good stuff. Incredible depth, layers upon layers of strategy, and refreshing challenge that makes it all the more engaging. Yet that's balanced by things like, "try again" and "try again but make enemies weaker" as options if your party wipes. No more going back to your last save point, and if you're under prepared or under leveled, the game accounts for that too so you're never stuck.

There's so many genuinely spectacular games on Switch its impossible to highlight them all, much less play them all. But this is one of the great JRPG series of our time. It's focus on quality characters and world building is unmatched by anything else I've ever played.

TopazLink

I'd like some help from people in the UK who have sent their Joy-cons for repair recently because I have a couple of pairs that have developed problems, and would like to know roughly how much it would cost to send them to Nintendo for repair.

I can tell you what's wrong with them if that helps?

Pair 1
Left: stick drift
Right: stick drift; LED, SL and SR not working

Pair 2
Left: faulty L3; LED, SL and SR not working
Right: SL not working

If anyone can give me some indication of what it would cost to have them repaired, it would be appreciated.

TopazLink

gcunit

@TopazLink The pair with drift should get repaired for free. Nintendo have said they'll repair drift for free. I'd have thought they'd sort any other issues at the same time. Probably just replace them for you, but I'm guessing.

The SL and SR buttons not working is another common fault with joy-con and I'd have hoped Nintendo would acknowledge it and repair those issues for free too, but they've not stated anything about this issue publicly, as far as I know. But you can DIY repair them for just a few pounds of you can be bothered.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NintendoByNature

This is the second time in 2023 my left JC Had to be sent in for stick drift. I just got it back the other day actually. Let's see if it holds up

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

TopazLink

@gcunit I don't think I have the tools, knowledge, or confidence to try repairing parts myself, and I don't even know what bits of the side-rail with the LED, SL and SR buttons are broken, so I dunno if I would be able to tell what would need fixing, let alone how to do that. I'm also concerned that if I opened them up I'd only break them even more.

I mostly want to know if sending in both pairs to be fixed would be cheaper than buying one new pair, if it turned out that I had to pay for all the repairs.

I may still consider trying to fix them myself, or at least getting my dad to help, but it would have to be the cheapest option by some margin for me to want to do that, including getting the screwdrivers, control sticks, and whatever it is that the side-rail parts need as well as having clear instructions on what to do.

TopazLink

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH sorry for the late reply. Super busy yesterday. I'll check out the switchup review as I fully trust those two. Thanks again.

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

Who wants to take bets for Q3/Q4 game releases? We'll get a Direct at some point, be it this week, next week or July. What game or games do you predict will be revealed for the final "push at the tape" stretch of the generation?

My bold choice is F-Zero GX Definitive Edition. I remember SyluxHunter said something F-Zero was coming, and I just can't imagine they bothered to make a new game, which means an HD port of GX with online is almost certainly going to be it.

Apparently a credible leaker just recently suggested a new 2D Mario and a SNES remake are coming. I don't know who the person is, but they seem to have a solid track record, and not just for Nintendo-related news, either.

I could definitely see a 2D Mario game releasing. After all, the last time we got a mainline 2D Mario... was at the Wii U launch. Think about that. We went the entire Wii U generation and the entire Switch generation without a new mainline 2D Mario. Even assuming one released this holiday, that would be ELEVEN YEARS since the last one dropped. I think we're overdue, and that lends credence to what they're saying in my view.

Now, as for a SNES remake, supposedly this person liked some tweets related to Super Mario RPG. But... then I remember Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War is being remade on fairly good authority. That's a SNES classic that's being remade and it's one we already heard was coming, so personally I'm inclined to believe it's Holy War.

Either way, it would be a massive W.

What say you

WaffleBoat

@JaxonH
I think the SNES remake might also be earthbound as it was massively successful on NSO.

I fear no man
but that thing:
The carrot minigame from bowser's inside story
it scares me

FishyS

@JaxonH I know it's arguable, but I think Nintendo probably counts super mario maker 2 as a mainline 2D Mario game. They may not even make that distinction, but it fills a similar slot. Certainly getting 100-level story mode plus physics to work with new modes, etc. takes a lot of the same type of game-making as a new 'normal' game. Mario Maker is sort of partially a spinoff series but far far more similar than any of the real spinoffs so it's hard to classify. Personally I count it as mainline, as do most unofficial lists, including the articles NintendoLife makes.

That being said, Nintendo does really need a true successor to the 'New' series and I seriously hope they are working on it. And the maker sub-series has proven to be somewhat less popular than the traditional 2D games. I wouldn't be shocked if a new game was waiting for the new console though and we just got some remake or port in the meantime.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I'm going to guess Chrono Trigger being given the HD-2D treatment as Theatrhythm has been rather accurate in predicting release timings of upcoming ports/remasters/remakes and the 2 most recent DLC packs were for the Chrono franchise and heavily focused on Chrono Trigger. As Nintendo are the reason the Live a Live remake happened, I could see something similar here.

Other Square Enix stuff that could happen if Theatrhythm DLC turned out to be a hint are Nier Replicant (the 2nd Nier DLC was all about the original Nier and the Replicant remaster) and the Bravely games (there's 2 mystery DLC packs and the Bravely Default songs are the only DLC from past Theatrhythm games not yet confirmed for Final Bar Line). As much as I'd like to see Xenogears come to Switch, the more likely outcome there is it being added to PS+ Premium.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Interesting.

Not sure I put much stock into that, but I'd be just as happy with an HD-2D Chrono Trigger as a Mario RPG or Fire Emblem Holy War remake. Well... maybe not quite as much as a Holy War remake. But since I'm confident that's coming either way, I'd take it, because it would likely mean getting both at some point.

@WaffleBoat
Are there confirmed downloads to support how successful it was? I've always felt Earthbound is kinda like Star Fox and F-Zero. A lot of noise made by a small minority but doesn't really have the appeal you'd think it would given how much it's talked about.

@FishyS
I think Mario Maker helped plug the gap for sure, but I'm not entirely convinced Nintendo sees it as the same, as they released the original soon after New Super Mario Bros U, and the 3DS port soon after New Super Mario Bros 2, and Mario Maker 2 released the same year as the NSMBU Deluxe port (I think? Maybe I'm wrong on that). Which would be somewhat unusual if they did indeed see them as equivalent.

It's definitely gameplay-adjacent though and can provide a quality experience in absence of a new game.

I think a mainline entry that's not relying on past art styles, enemies and design philosophy is sorely needed. Maybe a return to Super Mario World's approach but with a modern aesthetic and bold, new ideas.

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic