Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 64,761 to 64,780 of 70,001

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH i see so Bayonetta 3 has surpassed Super Mario Odyssey in the best use of HD Rumble?is what you saying? do the enemies break your combos like in Bayonetta 2? is the Demon Slave a well balanced mechanic?(don't have the same flaws of Umbra Climax, you about to lose, just spam this to win),how is the difficult?more compared to Bayonetta 1 or 2?

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

Giancarlothomaz

@Ralizah sadly Game Freak is bound by the anime/merchandising of the franchise, they don't have the liberty of others Nintendo studios such as the Zelda team/Mario, of polishing the game, they have to release a new generation every 3/4 years, even if this games demand more development time/polish, because the Pokémon Company can't wait Game Freak to polish the game, to release the new season of the anime and merchandising.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

Ralizah

@JaxonH Doubtful. It looks good for a remaster of a 2010 remake of a game from 1995, but the map design and gameplay just don't look like they'll be anywhere on the same level for me. It also has an upwards battle if it wants to match Triangle Strategy's story.

Just going by ear, the voice acting is probably on par or better, though.

Really eager for them to shift gears toward Front Mission once this is out. Hopefully they've added voice acting to that as well.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
Mario Odyssey used HD rumble in a very ingenious way, integrating it into gameplay. But I wouldn't say the actual rumble itself was all that impressive. Much less with a Pro Controller.

The rumble in Bayonetta 3 feels genuinely impressive with a Pro controller. A blend of various frequencies in different areas, with just the right amplitude that hits that sweet spot. So while it isn't gameplay integrated, it's definitely more impressive.

Enemies can break your combo if you're hit. But because the game is so fast paced, you're right back into a new combo afterward. There are also skills that mitigate damage knockbacks, at least for your summons.

I'd say Demon Slave is incredibly well balanced. For one, you are 100% vulnerable when summoning. If there's multiple enemies, all it takes is one of them attacking Bayonetta to cancel your summon. Bayonetta can't move and you don't control her during a summon. On top of this, summons depend on the magic meter, which drains while being used. Once drained, you can't summon until it replenishes. Furthermore, many of the larger enemies can kill your summon. It's not uncommon for a large enemy to knock your summon over, pin them down and execute them. In which case you are penalized with a timer until you can re-sunmon again. They also don't do insane damage. They do good damage, but it feels balanced.

As for difficulty, I'd say it's about on par with what the series has always been. However, the special stages unlocked by catching the cat, finding the crow and toad for each chapter are insanely difficult. Even for Chapter 1, I couldn't beat the challenge stage I unlocked. I had to drop the difficulty down to Casual for that challenge, and even then I barely beat it with just fractions of a second remaining. It could be because I'm not that good at properly utilizing summons yet and integrating them into gameplay- mine kept getting killed by the enemy so I just did it without summoning. But maybe there's a better approach where you dodge into witch time, then quickly summon during witch time when they can't attack back.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Ralizah
The gameplay is incredibly in depth. Like Triangle Strategy, elevation and orientation factor into damage. But there's waaaay more mechanics at play in Tactics Ogre. I fully expect the gameplay to at least match that of TS. I also expect the story, dialog and voice acting to meet (if not exceed) TS.

Map design I'm not sure about. It's quite possible it's not as good as TS in that respect. But we'll find out. Even if not though, everything else looks so good I'd be hard pressed to disqualify it based on that alone.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH i see, can you increase the Magic Meter you use for the Demon Slave mechanic with the Broken Moon collectibles you found in the games? good to see the game balance well the Demon Slave mechanic(i was worried i could be a overpowed mechanic like Umbra Climax) i saw some people using Gomorah Masquarede form or Madame Burtterfly to get the cat, the frog is easy to get, but how i get the crow? he escape me every time i aproch him.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
Yes. Witch Hearts and Moon Pearls are still a thing for increasing Health and Magic.

As for the cat, if you double tap ZR you'll start running, and it just takes chasing them for a bit slowly gaining ground until you catch up. You'll want to take note of their path, so that you can run the circuit as efficiently as possible.

I had a hard time with the first cat, but I eventually figured it out. Each one since has been a little easier. I'll try that trick you mentioned though. That sounds like a smart approach.

The crow didn't give me any problems. I just double tapped ZR to break into a run, slowly gained ground, then jumped to catch it in the air before it flew off. Probably best to just practice a bit.

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I think the bonus stages unlocked from getting the cat, toad and crow are intended for after you've finished the main game when you have a lot more witch hearts and moon pearls.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Oh ya?

Well that would make sense, cause that first one was brutal.

Ralizah

@JaxonH I really appreciated Triangle Strategy's design restraint. There's very little character customization, which allows them to focus on creating hand crafted challenges that account well for what the characters are capable of and balance battles around that. There's no way to effectively do that with games where you can endlessly build units however you like. It's the same issue I have with Disgaea.

TS is probably the most purely tactical RPG I've ever played, and there's so little customizing, stat minmaxing, messing around with equipment, etc. It's not quite as pure as Advance Wars is, but it's close.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I agree. It's why I liked Fire Emblem Awakening when I first played it. Units have roles, and you strategize accordingly.

But that's not the only approach I like. Fire Emblem Three Houses essentially upended the table and allowed complete unit customization. And I loved it just as much.

Both approaches are equally valid, it just comes down to how good the game is overall. Triangle Strategy is the pinnacle of the straightforward approach. But I'm excited to play a game extremely similar that takes a slightly different direction- still providing distinct classes which can only equip certain weapons and spells, but which allows units to flexibly transition among various classes. It's why Tactics Ogre Reborn is a perfect compliment to Triangle Strategy this year. A tale of two tactics, you could say.

Also, I should mention that while Triangle Strategy didn't feature unit customization, it did feature a large roster selection which essentially resulted in the same thing- the player had numerous combinations of distinct characters and classes to bring into battle. Can't account for every possibility in a specific sense, but you can account for it in a general sense, and let the player's specific choosing of distinct units be part of the strategy. In the same way, games like Tactics Ogre provides different classes, and choosing the right balance to optimize your playthrough becomes part of the strategy

They've also completely overhauled the enemy AI in this release so that enemy units are smarter and react to unique circumstances, such as exploiting your weaknesses, forcing you to funnel through narrow passageways to pick you off, retaining high ground advantage, etc.

Edited on by JaxonH

Kermit1doesmath

Just to let everyone know Pokemon Scarlet & Violet are starting to leak today/right now!!!

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

dysgraphia awareness human

Pizzamorg

Ralizah wrote:

@JaxonH I really appreciated Triangle Strategy's design restraint. There's very little character customization, which allows them to focus on creating hand crafted challenges that account well for what the characters are capable of and balance battles around that. There's no way to effectively do that with games where you can endlessly build units however you like. It's the same issue I have with Disgaea.
TS is probably the most purely tactical RPG I've ever played, and there's so little customizing, stat minmaxing, messing around with equipment, etc. It's not quite as pure as Advance Wars is, but it's close.

Sorry to butt in on your conversation lol

But I just wanted to say, maybe it is like an undiagnosed ADHD thing but as an adult, about the only thing I care about anymore in gaming is customisation. Throw in a loot system, or equippable gear that changes my characters appearance, or meaningful dialogue choices or some kind of class/stat system to pour over, and I am basically set, even when a game is otherwise purely mediocre.

It takes a really special type of game for it to be entirely curated (IE, offering the player no agency or customisation at all) for me to really care these days. Probably the only exception to that are either sandbox games, open world games or games with complex combat systems, because you can still stamp your mark on those.

I've tried to play so many alleged masterpieces over the last few years, but they are completely linear, "pure" experiences as you put it and they just don't engage me at all. Maybe this should have been one for the Unpopular Opinion thread lol

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Ralizah

@Pizzamorg Tactical RPGs as endlessly customizable character building sims are pretty popular, so I'm not sure how unpopular your opinion even is, lol.

Way more games in the genre exist that cater to your preferences than my own, though. It's why I'm still so annoyed about those Advance Wars remakes getting indefinitely delayed.

@JaxonH Maps in TS are built around using specific characters, which is why each map has recommended units. Players can challenge themselves by using non-recommended units, of course.

Pretty much my only issue with Three Houses was how underwhelming the tactical aspect was. But it IS a major complaint. Best cast and story (and music) of any of the games I've played in that series to date, but the maps and tactical balance were just not great.

Meanwhile, FE Awakening was failed by so many of its maps being open, grassy fields without much structure.

Fates: Conquest had great maps and tactical balancing, but aggressively moronic writing.

Finding a game that does everything right is hard, man.

JaxonH

Absolutely. Fire.

If this doesn't sell you on Bayonetta 3, nothing will.

Ralizah

Monster Hunter Rise is still my favorite Spiderman game on Switch.

Bayo 3 is looking solid, though.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Just struck me how similar Bayo3 is to Monster Hunter Rise. Both allow you to ride/control giant beasts to fight other monsters, and both allow you to swing around like Spiderman, and both have fast, quick weapons and giant, slow weapons. And both allow you to explore to find yellow, green and red buffs.

Edited on by JaxonH

Ryu_Niiyama

I’m so mad that aside from my having both a fear reaction (I have terrible arachnophobia even with fantasy arachnids) and a muted attraction reaction to that section my second thought was “wow this feels as good as a spiderman game. I want platinum to make a spiderwoman/silk/Gwen game”.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic