Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 64,741 to 64,760 of 65,505

JaxonH

Say, has anyone tried The Diofield Chronicle demo yet?

I just fired it up on Switch and am duly impressed! The game is fun, and offers a blend of strategy very unique. The production values and graphics are also pretty impressive for Square Enix after years of lower budget pixel remasters. Like, it's no AAA game, but it's certainly a cut above the standard fare. With Diofield Chronicle, Harvestella and Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core: Reunion, it feels like Square Enix has adjusted to a paradigm shift in their approach to the Nintendo Switch. We're finally seeing games that look better, offer more, and take fuller advantage of the hardware.

It's a different type of game, and at first I wasn't sure if I liked it, hated it or felt indifferent. But after playing a bit more... yes. I absolutely like it. Calling Bahamut summons down like in Final Fantasy and nuking the entire AOE of enemies? More of that please!!!

@Ralizah
I highly recommend checking out Mario & Luigi Dream Team. That game is excellent, it really is. Probably my favorite of the series.

PLAYING
NS: Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, MH Rise Sunbreak, Radiant Silvergun and dozens of other STGs
PC/SD:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

Dream Team just felt like a slow slog to me. Especially in Dreamy Luigi areas. Battles felt like they took too long. And I'm pretty sure I was properly leveled and geared.

Basically, if someone is bored senseless by Superstar Saga, then Dream Team would probably make them fall asleep and not wake up for twenty years, Rip Van Winkle-style.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0
Now Playing: Dragon Ball FighterZ (Xbox), Final Fantasy IX (Xbox), Dragon Quest VII (3DS), Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)

JaxonH

I've changed my mind on Kirby Dream Buffet.

This video sold me

It has offline CPU for solo play, and it actually looks really fun. Also perfect for passing a joycon in tabletop mode. Nintendo has done a horrible job selling this game. I'd made my mind up to skip it. If it wasn't for stumbling across this vid I never would have thought twice about it.

@DarthNocturnal
Plenty of ppl love Dream Team. The older GBA games were much less engaging. Movement didn't feel as good and battle wasn't nearly as interesting.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, MH Rise Sunbreak, Radiant Silvergun and dozens of other STGs
PC/SD:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

@JaxonH

Guess I'm an outlier then. But then I felt like Mario & Luigi was on a slow-yet-steady decline ever since the 2nd game. Still enjoyable, but something feeling off. Something keeping them from being quite as good as the original. For me, at least.

It's been a while, but I think my main issues in Dream Team were that several actions just took too long and / or got too repetitive. Namely for defense actions (especially in Dreamy Luigi areas) and Bros Attacks. I don't remember the original having those issues. I remember replaying Superstar Saga a few times over here and there, but I've never felt like replaying anything from Partners in Time onwards.

I still have my copies though. Maybe I should take a another look.

Now Playing: Dragon Ball FighterZ (Xbox), Final Fantasy IX (Xbox), Dragon Quest VII (3DS), Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Not yet, saving the demo for after finishing XC3. Struggling to balance between main story and sidequests because XC1 and XC2 had major story events late in the game which blocked off side quests. So I'm early on in Chapter 6 but everyone's over level 70.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@DarthNocturnal Nah, I'd say there's some definite split on Dream Team. But I'd still say it's slow pace is better than Partner in Time's incredibly slow bros attacks, way too tanky bosses and enemies (in the NA version everyone's health got buffed), the holes that were mostly timesinks, and fighting as just the babys, as well as it's hyper linear setup.

I will say, I'd rank the games as (and I did replay them all except Paper Jam recently actually)
1. Bowser's Inside Story
2. Superstar Saga
3. Dream Team
4. Partners in Time
5. Paper Jam

link3710

Anti-Matter

Cat Quest II, anyone ?

Who still play this game ?

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Kermit1

@Anti-Matter my brother played that. From what I know it's pretty good. I was going to get that on sale but I forgot too

Edited on by Kermit1

Currently playing: Valkyria Chronicles

DA-2802-3315-4367

#TeamSlime

known to be quirky on occasion

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH A few of us are in the diofield thread discussing it.

Accidentally found a spoiler for XC3 and now I am seriously less inclined to play. But at least my two favorite characters are doing well.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Anti-Matter

@Kermit1
I still working on my progress of Cat Quest II too.
So far I have reached level 35 or something,
Sometimes I dared myself to beat some higher level monsters (as long I can quickly dodge them) to get more EXP points.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

NintendoByNature

I dont know what it is either, but I can't get into the M & L series myself. It's ok, but doesn't really feel engaging to me. At least not like the PM series which are all bangers to me...YES! I actually loved sticker star as well. I haven't played TTYD yet though. One day, I suppose.

NintendoByNature

Grumblevolcano

@Ryu_Niiyama I hope you're not talking about my comment (I didn't see anything spoiler about the comment I made), assuming not where did you come across the spoiler? I've been avoiding the XC3 thread until I beat the game but if there's other threads I should avoid please tell me.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DarthNocturnal

@link3710

Several things you bring up about PiT apply to Dream Team for me. I even used it's "assist" feature on a late game boss or two. It just stopped being fun. I wish I could've skipped those touch screen battles too.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

Ryu_Niiyama

@Grumblevolcano Nah I was looking up something for XC2 on the wiki that I couldn’t remember and there is now overlap with 3 (and it wasn’t blocked out) but kinda in a way that made me roll my eye because it was an aspect of 2 that I hated. So having a general idea that it continues dropped 3 off my play soon list. So now I have to find something else for my trip since I am nearly done with live a live.

So stay off the wiki I suppose. The FE wiki is better about spoilers so I didn’t expect it.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

kkslider5552000

I'm not sure how much I agree with most of those complaints about PiT but that is still the correct order for me anyway. I dare say its my favorite combat system out of the games, but as an adventure it feels like there's just nothing to it. Linear to a fault, babies, no real dialogue from the villains, its all just underwhelming in those specific ways to drag the game below the others.

Though Dream Team has legitimately one of the worst early parts of a Nintendo game ever. The horror stories of those tutorials were right, they're so bad.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Misadventures of Tron Bonne Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy TRON BONNE < Link to LP

link3710

@kkslider5552000 I'll admit, the fact that I tried out both the EU and NA versions may have tilted my feelings, cause having grown up with the NA version... it made some DUMB localization decisions.

link3710

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
Don't let that stop you. I think I may know what you're referring to- I saw a glimpse on a YT thumbnail of someone. But didn't know if it was true or troll (at least that's what I told myself to stay surprised).

But trust me, you don't wanna miss this game. Even if you got spoiled on something, it's a needle in a mountainous haystack. There is SOOOOOOOOOO much good story in this game. 100 hrs, and maybe 5 minutes become less impactful. The remaining 99.9 hrs are a non stop roller coaster. And the gameplay is the pinnacle of the series. I'm in the middle of an experience playing this game. Very rarely do I come home from work and do nothing but binge on the same game every night, staying up too late because I can't put it down. This is one of those games.

What do you think of Diofield so far? Thumbs up? Thumbs down? It's certainly a different kind of game, and different games can be more polarizing as ppl tend to like what they're familiar with.

PLAYING
PC/SD:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Though Dream Team has legitimately one of the worst early parts of a Nintendo game ever. The horror stories of those tutorials were right, they're so bad.

If nothing else, it can't be worse than the early hours of Twilight Princess. The tutorial put me off completing it for three year or so, lol.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

If nothing else, it can't be worse than the early hours of Twilight Princess. The tutorial put me off completing it for three year or so, lol.

Dream Team is absolutely worse, but I've never had issues with early TP so...

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Misadventures of Tron Bonne Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy TRON BONNE < Link to LP

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH I will play it eventually but I take story beats very seriously so something that is a minor change or plot point to some can sour the story for me. I don’t like to complain about games so you won’t hear me whining unless in a thread for that purpose but it’s one of the reasons Bioware went from day one buy to “YouTube it” for me. Doesn’t mean I won’t enjoy the overall story just that it isn’t a pick up and play, because I will get annoyed. So better to wait when I have a day off (if ever) and can be chill when I play.

I like diofield but it feels off a bit. Like the ui needs a little more refinement. But I love the battle system as it allows flanking and backstabs which not every tactics game does or does well. Despite the slight janky feeling, my only real concern is how convoluted is the story gonna get because from the start there is a lot going on. But as I already said I am funny about story (likely because I am an avid reader.) Defo day one but I hope this isn’t the final demo. Hoping but doubtful that Squeenix will tighten the controls/movement up before it goes gold.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic