Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 64,561 to 64,580 of 69,980

Kermit1doesmath

Does anyone's serial number sticker click when they press it? It's not a big deal for me but it's slightly annoying whenever I go to turn off my Switch's power.

dysgraphia awareness human

Ryu_Niiyama

I mean if you look at it the budget brands have sorta died off beyond remakes and normal price drops (usually pushed by retailers and not publishers). Sony doesn’t seem to do their greatest hits as much anymore and when is the last time xbox did a platinum hits release? I feel like Nintendo is being held accountable for something the industry has moved on from. The market has shown it mostly can support full priced games so…

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Grumblevolcano

Seems I'm playing MK8 Deluxe until Friday, was expecting Nier Automata to last me until then but I finished ending A this morning. Very good game so far (I know there's other endings) though at the moment I prefer Astral Chain.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I recently finished Nier Automata's first ending. But I started the second playthrough with 9S and its way more different than I was expecting.

Having not finished Astral Chain, it's hard to say. I'd put them neck and neck, personally.

But Bayonetta is still king (or queen, rather). That's not to diminish Nier Automata. I think it's masterpiece level. Loved it so much I ordered a 2B figure, which I only do for my top half dozen franchises. So make no mistake- the game is fire.

But Bayonetta is on another level entirely. They're also kind of hard to compare because Nier is part RPG, while Bayonetta is pure action. Although, you do kind of "level up" in the same way Link "levels up" in Zelda. Finding fragmented heart pieces which increase health when a whole is put together. I like that element of permanent progression.

Speaking of which... only 4 more days to the true GotY contender!!!

Untitled

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I'd rank the Platinum games I've played:

Astral Chain > Bayonetta 2 = Nier Automata > Star Fox Zero + Guard > Bayonetta 1 > Wonderful 101 > Vanquish

Vanquish may have been higher if there was a Switch port with gyro. Ever since Splatoon Wii U, gyro has been much preferred for FPS and TPS.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Idk about that Star Fox.

I'd say:

Bayonetta 2 > Nier Automata = Astral Chain > Bayonetta 1 = Wonderful 101 > MGR Revengeance = Vanquish

Won't comment on Star Fox. Its fun but just not on the level of these other games, nor are they even remotely similar enough to compare. Anyways, I feel like their games have gotten better with time.

I fully expect Bayonetta 3 to top the list though.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

NieR Automata is the only Platinum-developed game I can wholeheartedly say I loved.

Star Fox Zero was bad-to-mediocre in many respects.

The Wonderful 101 is... weird. Could never get into it. I'll probably try it again someday.

Astral Chain is interesting, but I fell off of it and never came back. Definitely plan on doing a full playthrough at some point, however.

Of the Bayonetta games, I prefer the second one, but neither really did much for me, since the combat is too combo-focused for my liking, and the storytelling is poor. Didn't like any of the secondary characters, either. And, while this might seem like a minor thing to other people, it drives me nuts how many of the cutscenes aren't properly animated, but instead have voices playing over still images of the characters.

B3 will already be the best one if the intolerable Joe Pesci knockoff gets the boot. Haven't seen him in any of the advertising so far. I also like that they've moved away from the supernatural theme of the previous ones, which never resonated with me.

And, personally speaking, I never cared much for the main character's design in previous games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

kkslider5552000

I feel like Wonderful 101 > Metal Gear Rising > Astral Chain > Bayonetta > Bayonetta 2 > Vanquish

I'll be honest, Platinum's bizarre focus on story and cutscenes made the main difference, its actually the main thing that makes most of these not equal to each other.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ryu_Niiyama

So I’m the weird duck but W101>Bayonetta 2>astral chain> Bayonetta 1> Nier automatta> starfox zero.

I enjoyed Korra and Ninja Turtles for what they were.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Oh come on, who doesn't love Enzo!

Untitled

@Ryu_Niiyama
Your ranking lines up reasonably well with mine.

There was a time I felt W101 was on par with Bayonetta myself. I LOVE that game to death.

The thing about ranking with an ordinate list is it doesn't convey any quantitative analysis. Even the games near the bottom of my ranking are still better than 80% of other games I've played.

But ya, Bayonetta 2 definitely up there. The pinnacle of pure action games. Or at least, was. Bayo3 is about to set the bar.

Edited on by JaxonH

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH I think I said something to the effect back during the wiiu days that once you get the hang of the controls W101 is an action movie on steroids. It just ups the ante each scene. I spent half the game going “are you serious?!?!?” as I would think I hit a lull and the game went Kamiya style fake out. It feels the most like viewtiful Joe and its absurdity to me. And I love it. Revengence is like that as well.

I never played DMC during its rotation so Bayonetta was my introduction to the stylish combat that Kamiya pioneered and I am a fan as it elevates the combat in a way that to my fighting game addled mind most action games just don’t do. (As such I find many action adventure games’s combat boring but swear by Clover and Platinum).

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
Wonderful 101 does take a bit to "click" but once it does, it's insanely addictive.

I never got into other action games. DMC never clicked for me- don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it and it was a fun game, but it never grabbed me and totally absorbed me in. Whereas Platinum games... they're different. They have that X factor that no other game of any other franchise has been able to replicate. The last second dodge which slows time, with lightning fast input response times, is trademark Platinum Games. You see it in W101, you see it in Astral Chain, you see it in Nier Automata, but most of all, you see it in Bayonetta.

I think why I love Bayo most is because its the most pure, distilled form of their proprietary formula. All their other games have trademark P* design. But they all have their unique gimmicks (Nier being RPG, W101 with Unite Builds, Astral Chain controlling 2 characters at once, etc). Bayo doesn't do anything other than purify that trademark combat and dial it up to 11. I love that. The combos are so deep, incredibly hard to master, and yet so easy for someone new to just mash buttons and still succeed to a reasonable degree. Easy to learn, hard to master is always best game design.

I got so into Bayo2 I was doing all the Muspelheim challenges going for Pure Platinum medals, and even played the online co-op multiplayer Verses with Sinalefa who's also a diehard Bayo fan. I love the co-op because yes, it is cooperative, but also kind of competitive as you're trying to get a better medal than the other guy. It's a good opportunity to show off.

Edited on by JaxonH

Anti-Matter

Eagly wrote:

I need to play more plantum game games

The only Platinum game I have are Transformers Devastation PS3 and Starfox Zero Wii U.
And actually I do not like Platinum games as developer considering I knew their games association with rated M games.

Anti-Matter

jump

Maybe it's unpopular opinion but I'm surprised Astral Chain is ranking so highly for some people. The combat was great but it falls short when it tries to do other things like the platforming, stealth missions, investigating etc bits which just feel boring in comparison and they put a lot of focus on you talking to other characters but it's so dully written I'm not sure why they want you to talk to everyone. There's a bit at the beginning where you have to talk your fellow cops and the most interesting character was the vending machine.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

@Fizza - noticed that you got Inside around the same time I did. Have you played it yet?
I'm not really feeling the love that most people give it. It's good - the graphics suit the gameplay and the puzzles are fun.
But, it's limited colour pallette and settings are starting to drag, and it feels like there are only so many variations on press switch at a certain time then move before it repeats itself.

But I'm going to see it through to the end, if only because I am horrendously stuck in Horace (a puzzle platform game that is fantastic)

Rambler

Fizza

@Rambler I was going to be saving it for Halloween night but my Switch needing to be sent for repairs has scuppered things immensely. We'll see though, I'm very excited to check it out whenever possible (alongside Limbo of course).

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Castlevania Bloodlines (Mega Drive)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Rambler

@Fizza
Fingers crossed you get it back in time! Didn't get limbo for some reason, but I'm sure you'll have a great time with both

Rambler

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic