Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 64,581 to 64,600 of 69,981

Grumblevolcano

What a mess, Bayonetta 1 physical sold out in like a minute.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

Bayonetta 3 getting rave reviews.

Most say it's the best in the series (which I would think the score would reflect but it seems much harder to break 90 nowadays).

Like half a dozen perfect 10's, and not just from no-name sites either. Destructoid and NintendoLife come to mind.

Sounds like our GotY has arrived. Got the Trinity Masquerade edition preordered at GameStop, and the EU-exclusive steelbook ordered from eBay. I'm ready to go!

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

StarPoint

I think at this point, the three GOTY contenders are Elden Ring, Bayonetta 3, and GoW Ragnarok. I think Elden Ring is going to win, but it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

Magician

@Grumblevolcano Where? In Europe? Bayo 1 has available to preorder for over a month in Murica and Japan.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Grumblevolcano

@Magician Yeah, Europe. The schedule was originally planned for September like NA but in late September it was announced there was a delay until 1st half of October. When it came to end of that time period, the XC3 Special Edition mess happened (store went down for most of 3 days) and then the day after the Bayonetta VA controversy started which delayed it further. The end result of the Bayonetta 1 physical version was it went up today and got sold out almost immediately:

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Just import the JP version for $30 (less if you buy on Amazon Japan). It has English.

https://www.play-asia.com/bayonetta-english/13/70fky3

Or if you want English on the side of the spine, get the Asian version for $40

https://www.play-asia.com/bayonetta-english-mde/13/70fmk7

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

StarPoint

@Eagly I'm not completely sure if Xenoblade 3 will be a contender. It got really great reviews, but I just don't know how it could hold up against the other 3 games I mentioned. Would be cool to see it make an appearance, though.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

Grumblevolcano

My current prediction for Game Awards GotY nominees is:

• Horizon Forbidden West
  • Elden Ring
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Saga
  • Tunic

First 3 are certainly going to appear, Bayonetta 3 reviews are looking very positive and Bayonetta 2 was nominated in 2014, Skywalker Saga seems like a popular multiplatform pick and Tunic would be the indie pick.

As for the winner, no doubt it'll be Elden Ring. The show will pretty much be "The Elden Ring Awards" much like how 2020 was "TLoU2 Awards".

Grumblevolcano

Solaine

@Grumblevolcano @JaxonH I'd argue that you cannot really rate Nier Automata as long as you haven't finished at least 3 of the main endings since the Story picks up that much. Going only by Gameplay, i would definitely pick Bayonetta 2 over all the other Platinum Games

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

KryptoniteKrunch

Lego Star Wars? Nah. Nomination for family game of the year for sure but overall GotY? It's only 82 on Metacritic.

Xenoblade 3 should get that spot but given it's a Keighley show, Xenoblade getting nominated for best RPG will be a feat.

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

Grumblevolcano

@KryptoniteKrunch Lego Star Wars is the one I'm most unsure about but it's hard to think of an alternative given the kind of stuff that gets nominated (e.g. outside a certain few franchises Nintendo is rarely nominated for GotY) and how big releases like Gotham Knights fell apart. Unless Geoff's judges decide to go down the rabbit hole of nominating an Activision game for GotY (Modern Warfare 2, Overwatch 2, Warzone 2) which would be damaging to the show's reputation.

Grumblevolcano

KryptoniteKrunch

@Grumblevolcano

Yeah, that last slot is a tossup. There are several games that have a shot I suppose (Last of Us 1, Sparks of Hope, Xenoblade 3, Neon White etc.) but they'll probably be in other categories. Cuphead DLC rated high and Cuphead usually has a decent presence at these Keighley shows, but I don't they believe they ever nominated DLC for GotY.

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

Ralizah

My favorite films rarely get attention at the Academy Awards. It follows that the same would be true with video games.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

kkslider5552000

My tastes are boring enough that much of my favorite games would've been GOTYC in their day. Though the fact that Trials and Tribulations wouldn't be one of them is morally wrong.

I have no idea about the actual Game Awards though, since its the Elden Ring awards and basically any other AAA game win competing with it will be because the contestants felt bad for it rather than merit. It's hard for me to care even compared to usual because popular games have barely felt like they even existed outside of the Nintendo sphere the past 6 months, and I've yet to play a game released this year anyway.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Magician

Neon White and Return to Monkey Island will duke it out for best indie game of 2022.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

Mass market Game Awards have lost all value to me. What could have been (and should have been) something where genuine greatness is recognized across all platforms, all genres, all budgets, it's instead become something where genuine greatness _among publisher-approved mass market titles[/em] is recognized, with a token indie and Nintendo exclusive each year to keep up pretenses... if they're popular enough and in the "correct" genre, of course. Not sure why ppl give it so much attention (aside from those who are actually heavily into mass market AAA). There's only so many years I can watch games with the best soundtrack not even get mentioned, games best in their genres not even be nominated, and select games propped up by gaming media shoehorned into the spotlight claiming double digit awards, then after the game goes multiplat or ppl just move on, everyone admits it wasn't really that great after all.

Anyways, I forgot about Neon White. The summer had some great titles.

In fact, with Bayonetta 3 we can shut the book on the greatest spread of Switch games in a 4 month time frame... ever.

These are just the highlights. There was much more, both critically acclaimed and more moderately received. But these are my personal highlights that made this 4 month span my own golden era of gaming...

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

Kermit1doesmath

I just watch the Game Awards for the cringe and the Muppets. BTW anyone wanna do a watch-a-long this year with me?

dysgraphia awareness human

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic