Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 57,841 to 57,860 of 70,074

Magician

@JaxonH

It's a hot take. No doubt a bad take in the eyes of anyone who is even slightly interested in the SWOLED. But my disappointment in Nintendo is more severe than your disappointment in me. Just the fact that we'll have to tolerate games being developed on 2015 tech for another three or four years is aggravating.

If it's any consolation, just chalk up my previous post as the ranty ramblings of an old man.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,252 games (as of April 30th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

@Magician
I get it. You're disappointed. Believe me, even I wish it was more.

But it's not the end of the world. Console generations come and go. For 30+ years I've lived with consoles being the same power for 6-8 yrs and then upgrading. The prospect we might get some massive jump early was exciting, but it didn't happen and that's fine. Life goes on. I love Switch as is and I'll continue to love it. We'll get a new Switch in a few years time. No biggie.

In the meantime, however, there are other things I value besides just raw horsepower. Many things, actually. One of which is OLED. After seeing for myself what a difference it makes at home, I'm pretty amped up about the prospect of upgrading my Switch LCD. The added size and reduced bezel is also a plus.

And the kickstand is nice too. As someone who adores tabletop mode, that's a massive win to me. Tilt at any angle and it doesn't fall over. Heck ya. The rest of the features are a nice bonus. Nothing too exciting but certainly things I appreciate nonetheless.

It's an easy choice for me. And it's not because I'm dumb, it's because I legitimately value what it's bringing to the table, while acknowledging it won't be for everyone. And that's fine. I'm not angry at ppl who aren't interested. On the contrary, I respect that different ppl value things differently.

But it would be nice to share my excitement for the OLED screen without fear of insult. I don't think you truly believe what you said. You're too smart for that. I think you've let emotion overcome you and that frustration is being wrongly directed at people who like the product.

If you're that desperate for more power, join me in the Steam Deck forum. There's more to life than Nintendo Switch, after all.

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/other_gaming/valves_steam...

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Maaryotyme

@Anti-Matter some fantastic games. Are they all day 1 purchases. That alligator game looks fun 😉

Maaryotyme

rallydefault

@Magician
I'm with you, angry or not. I don't think people realize how excruciating it's gonna feel when we're 2-3 years after the SWOLED's release and still don't have a new Nintendo console with more power and the PS5/Xbox are churning out games that we won't have a hope of getting.

That's a ways off, but tunes will change. A huge curveball can also be streaming, but I'm pretty hesitant to put too much into it at the moment.

For now, I'm still ok with the Switch's capabilities and the games it's getting. I think BotW2 and (maybe?) Prime 4 will be the end of the road for the Switch, and whatever period of time comes after those releases will be pretty painful until we get new hardware.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

TheFrenchiestFry

@rallydefault I honestly don't think Nintendo's ever going to be at the point where they'll be able to get every game PlayStation and Xbox get ever again. They might get a surprise port here and there but they're coasting along just fine being the more specific platform with specific needs that they have been really since post-GameCube, which was like the last console where they actually tried to have equity with other platforms

Nintendo's now in the position where it's essentially the secondary platform you get for specific games like Nintendo exclusives and stuff like classic or indie games. You don't buy a Nintendo console expecting it to have all the multiplatform AAA games that PlayStation and Xbox get because it hasn't been that way for years. You kind of need those other platforms if you want to get those games in particular. Most major third parties really don't take Nintendo seriously for the people who only own Nintendo consoles. It sucks, but it's just been that way for so long that you kind of have no other option than to just get another platform if you seriously want the graphically impressive AAA stuff

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

TheFrenchiestFry

Side note, I love how this thread is just devolving into a therapy session for people trying to make peace with the fact it'll be years before Nintendo even makes a proper next gen console that might get some games Sony, Microsoft and PC are getting lol

TheFrenchiestFry

rallydefault

@TheFrenchiestFry
Yea, there's no way. They have been relegated to second console status for a few gens now, but I would argue the Switch really made some big strides. I mean, I'm playing Crash Bandicoot 4 right now on my Switch, and that's awesome. We know there wasn't a chance of something like that happening on the Wii or Wii U, maybe even not on the Gamecube (but not due to lack of power).

I'm on board for the the long haul, though, whatever happens.

rallydefault

Anti-Matter

@Magician
But Switch OLED edition looks very nice in White Joycons and White dock. 😛
BTW, if I am a sheep, I will say Baaaaa..... instead. 🤭

Anti-Matter

Ralizah

I'm pretty damn happy with my Switch atm, but I also own other platforms which are capable of playing AAA games, which I guess is the difference.

Nintendo-only is always going to be the worst option if you're looking to have access to as many big third-party releases as possible.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TheFrenchiestFry

Exactly. I also delve into the exclusive libraries from PlayStation and Xbox, particularly the former but yeah if you're looking to get the best of both worlds, you kind of need another platform alongside your Switch, or at the very least a PC (or Steam Deck I guess) capable of running said games. Nintendo isn't really the all-in-one platform choice it used to be

TheFrenchiestFry

kkslider5552000

rallydefault wrote:

I'm with you, angry or not. I don't think people realize how excruciating it's gonna feel when we're 2-3 years after the SWOLED's release and still don't have a new Nintendo console with more power and the PS5/Xbox are churning out games that we won't have a hope of getting.

Except its not. Because the amount of great games people care about, that actually use the PS4's power during that generation...was not a ton. Certainly not compared to previous gens. And some of them were first party Sony anyway. And Persona 5 is on PS3 so power is not even the issue there. And we still got some of those games anyway.

In terms of the BIG games from PS4 that I would want, that is not on Switch there's basically just the "could obviously run on a Switch" Persona 5, Yakuza series, Nier:Automata, Red Dead 2, some of the Capcom games, two Final Fantasy games (are they still Playstation console exclusive), Watch Dogs 2, the last Deus Ex game...not a lot else comes to mind. I'm sure there's others somewhere, especially AA stuff, but I've been to several PAX's, I rarely encounter games that look like they need to run a PS4. That's not nothing on its own, but a dozen games is nothing when compared to the probably hundreds on Switch I'm actively interested in.

And its not just a Nintendo fan thing. PS4 did not have a new Bioshock, or a GTA or an Elder Scrolls, or a Red Faction or any big Valve games or a worthwhile 3D Sonic (Forces was still on Switch, so there's two reasons to not count it :V), or a Mistwalker RPG or...a lot of my favorites from the 360 generation. Quite frankly, the only favorites of mine that kept going that generation that was a big Ps4 game were Red Dead and Deus Ex, IIRC.

Fact is, a lot of the most notable, most popular games nowadays are not because they needed the power of a PS4. Most of the cool stuff is coming to Switch or reasonably could...despite the fact that PS5 has been out for months now. Obviously things will be different in a couple of years, but even then...its not like impressive Ps4 to Switch ports were why I wanted the system or make up remotely a notable part of the library for me. I love Doom 2016, I wanna play the sequel and I'm sure I'll play at least a couple other ports like that, but I largely don't care about that and its such a tiny part of the Switch's library (even ignoring all bad/decades old/particularly obscure games). They were always a neat bonus, and not as vital as people seem to think.

It's fine if people are more invested in big AAA games on PS4 and beyond, but its just becoming absurd to continue to pretend they are the sole key to success in the entirety of gaming. This has been proven wrong, countless times, particularly over the past decade.

Point is, no I do not find it excruciating, I just don't care that much. It'll be neat to play FFVIIR on Ps5, when multiple parts are out. Until then, countless games on Switch I want to play. Not even including the upcoming games that interest me.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Aozz101x

I've been pretty happy with Switch for awhile now, I'm already planning trying out Metroid Dread, WarioWare: Get it Together, and Shin Megami Tensei V (Which i was going to get anyways, Because i love playing Shin Magami Tensei Nocturne, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Apocalypse. regardless on what System SMT V would be on.) this year.
so yeah, as long as Nintendo plans to pump out games for awhile beyond 2023. i'll still support the System for years to come. if not, than i'll just support whatever their next system is for the new games they make for it.

Edited on by Aozz101x

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

JaxonH

@kkslider5552000
Point is, no I do not find it excruciating, I just don't care that much

I agree. Switch doesn’t get every game, but it gets at least 80% of the games I’m actually interested in. Would it be nice to get that remaining 20% so I don’t have to resort to TV-saddled platforms? Absolutely. In fact, that’s why I’m so excited for Steam Deck. I want Mass Effect Legendary and Monster Hunter World portably.

But at the end of the day, it gets most of what I want already. It really isn’t that big a deal. The last few months have been nonstop with Monster Hunter Rise, Mario Golf, Neo TWEWY, MH Stories 2, Ace Attorney, Tony Hawk, Zelda Skyward Sword, and soon Monkey Ball, WarioWare, Metroid Dread, Cruis’n Blast, Shin Megami Tensei V, Advance Wars and tons of other games, far too many to keep track of. Even next year and beyond is stacking nicely with Splatoon 3, Mario Rabbids, Zelda BotW 2, MH Rise Ultimate, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, probably Xenoblade 3, and more. And with Steam Deck now coming to market, that covers all bases. I enjoy the system for what it is rather than constantly focus on what it isn’t.

Switch has been the best primary console I’ve ever owned. And one day, we’ll get a successor that can run the majority of games as technology is finally reaching a point for mobile tech where you can run current gen games scaled down. But it doesn’t have to come tomorrow. There are going to be so many games coming to Switch over the next few years we’re going to have them falling out of our ears. The only thing I’m going to be thinking about over the next few is how I’m going to find the time to play all of those upcoming Switch games, much less anything else.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Anti-Matter

When I was browsing the Switch games from playasia, I found something that made me concern about how was the developer supporting Nintendo Switch.
Recently during this year, I found some Switch games only given by code in box with no cartridge inside, even the re-release of Overcooked 1 Special edition by Team17. 😑
It made me nervous to pick some Switch games as if i found treatment like that, I will get the PS4 version instead with game in disc, not code in box.

Anti-Matter

Ralizah

@Aozz101x Still can't believe we're merely a few months away from playing SMT V, a game I feel like I've been waiting eons to even hear about. Strangely, the wait is harder now more than ever, since it's so close to release I can almost taste it.

In not at all related news, I got a little drunk last night and made Pascal the Dog's theme from SMT I my generic ringtone, which seemed way funnier to me at the time.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TheFrenchiestFry

SMT V is literally the reason I got a Switch. Honestly surreal we're actually getting the game now after so many years of radiosilence

TheFrenchiestFry

MarioVillager92

Many of the games I play are indeed from Nintendo, so it's no wonder that I mostly play my Switch these days. I do have a gaming laptop with Steam, as well. The one game that got me to get a Switch was Super Mario Odyssey. I did get a Switch before SMO released, but when I got the game on launch day and started playing it, man I loved every second of it.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Speaking of video game sound clips, I've got a 5 second sound sample of "Pac Man Dies" set up to run via .bat script at work whenever the CMM finishes measuring a part. I was gonna do Mario Dies, but it sounded too grim to be going off every 15 minutes.

Grumblevolcano

The power discussion is kind of a "be careful what you wish for" type situation. Yes, it would be nice for Switch to have some extra power to run games like Bowser's Fury and Age of Calamity well but there's a point where too much power would mean much fewer games from Nintendo, we already saw this when Nintendo went to HD graphics in the Wii U era (fortunately in the Switch era, Nintendo realized the importance of ports/remasters/remakes).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

rallydefault

@kkslider5552000
Ok, first off, I have to again confess, I really do not understand most of what you say. I don't know if it's your writing style or if your logic is just the total opposite of mine or what, but I just don't really know what you're saying.

You started with "except it's not," which is what I assume a reference to my point that people are gonna find it excruciating? That comment is missing my point completely: Yea, right now, it's not gonna feel that way. 2-3 years from now is when people are gonna start feeling the lack in power.

And you comments about power and games are bonkers. There are tons of games on the PS4/Xbox that were amazing and required power that the Switch OLED will never be able to reach. From the games you listed, your tastes are EXTREMELY different from mine, and I would also argue somewhat niche. You're telling me you have no interest in Horizon Zero Dawn? Spider Man? God of War? Halo? Gears? I mean, come on. I don't love all of those franchises, but millions of consumers certainly do. Your tastes are your tastes, but you're ignoring the insanely popular and award-winning games PS4 and Xbox have (many becoming non-exclusive on the other console and/or PC) that wouldn't have a hope of running on Switch hardware, and that's not getting into the huge AAA stuff that plenty of people on Switch would love to see. I'd snap up the next Call of Duty on Switch in a hot second if I could.

But of course, you do you. But you're just kind of proving my point by saying it's not hard to stomach the gap in power right now... cuz...yea, not right now. But give it a couple years. You'll be singing a different tune.

As stated, if you view the Switch as a secondary console, then it's all good. But if you only have a Switch for whatever reason (and that's more people than we assume, I would wager), it's gonna start to be a bummer in the coming years after the remaining big releases are behind us.

@JaxonH doesn't agree with anything I say and obviously won't utter anything bad about most of what Nintendo does, so I don't value his input whatsoever.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic