Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 57,861 to 57,880 of 69,983

Magician

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

Side note, I love how this thread is just devolving into a therapy session for people trying to make peace with the fact it'll be years before Nintendo even makes a proper next gen console that might get some games Sony, Microsoft and PC are getting lol

@TheFrenchiestFry

Untitled

Honestly, I just want something in the ballpark of a portable base PS4. 720p portable resolution with a TPD of 18w or less. It doesn't even have to be on the level of the Steam Deck. Just something with a memory bandwidth of 150 GB/s or better.

The current Switch's anemic 25 GB/s is like trying to empty a ten gallon jug through a sippy straw, it's rough.

Edit: Alright, maybe asking for 150 GB/s or better is asking for way too much. It seems that the Steam Deck is estimated to have 88 GB/s of memory bandwidth. About triple the Switch's performance.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/official-steam-deck-specs-co...

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

link3710

@Grumblevolcano I think what people forget is there are different kinds of power. Memory bandwidth (as Magician mentioned) would be huge in reducing the Switch's lengthy loading times and should not increase development time whatsoever. In fact, it miiight reduce it since they wouldn't need as much insane optimization to keep games loading fast.

A GPU push wouldn't necessarily require extra dev time either. With nearly every game on the system having frame rate or resolution drop issues, they could continue developing titles as they are graphically.

Like, I don't think anyone wants or expects Nintendo to go past 1080p targeted game development, which is what most of their titles are. What they want is hardware that can support the graphical quality of titles that are already coming out.

link3710

Aozz101x

maybe will hear more about the new Detective Pikachu game at tomorrow's Pokemon Presents? we've heard nothing about that game since the reveal of Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee.

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

JaxonH

I don't think anyone is against the idea of a more powerful system. But... it's not happening, and that's just what it is. No sense obsessing about it. Accept it and move on. If games on the system don't meet your level of expectations, play something else.

In a few short years we'll get a successor. Until then, I'm good. I've used this system for 4.5 years just fine, and the sky won't fall using it for another 3.

It's true there are some games that have issues. But I have hundreds of games on my microSD that look and run fine. Great, even. If a game has serious issue I can't overlook then I just won't play it. Too many games that do look good and run well to get in a fluster over those which don't.

So ya. It's not that I don't want a Pro Model. But it's not happening, and having a mental breakdown over it won't change that. I'm perfectly happy with Switch as is. But, if someone isn't, I can respect that. Plenty of other systems to go play instead. Maybe it's time to move on from Nintendo. No sense spending the next 3 years upset about something you have no control over.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Magician

(bored)

Browsing the eShop for more things to wishlist, should they ever go on deep discount.

Overboard! and Black Book both seem interesting.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

Just some deals I happened across.

eShop sale
Final Fantasy X/X-2 $20 (one of the best JRPG of all time)
Final Fantasy XII $20 (really fun game)
Skyrim $30 (excellent port, with gyro)
Immortals Fenyx Rising $24 (stick to handheld on this one, gyro works well)
Trails of Mana $20 (decent game, decent price)
South Park Stick of Truth $12 (funny game, even better than sequel IMO)
South Park Fractured But Whole $15 (funny game)
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate $16 (incredible game if you’ve played MH before)
Dragon’s Dogma $15 (solid game)
Wolfenstein 2 $18 (I’d avoid, but it does play smooth with gyro)
Doom $30 (really fun on Switch Lite with gyro)
Doom Eternal $30 (really fun on Switch Lite with gyro)
Mario Rabbids $20 (masterpiece, love it)
Assassin’s Creed III Remastered $15 (good game, with gyro)
Assassins Creed Rebel Collection $20 (amazing on Switch, with gyro)
Metro 2033 Redux $8.74 (excellent port, with gyro, insanely good price)
Metro Last Light Redux $8.74 (excellent port, with gyro, insanely good price)
Saints Row The Third $14 (fun game, with gyro, patch added dynamic Res which helped Framerate a lot)
Saints Row 4 $14 (fun game, with gyro)
Valiant Hearts $5 (well worth this price)
Child of Light + Valiant Hearts $7.50 (both good games, great price)

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

kkslider5552000

rallydefault wrote:

You started with "except it's not," which is what I assume a reference to my point that people are gonna find it excruciating? That comment is missing my point completely: Yea, right now, it's not gonna feel that way. 2-3 years from now is when people are gonna start feeling the lack in power.

Switch has gotten a handful of big PS4 games, but before it came out, that wasn't a thing at all. The Ps4 had been out for years. I had no way to play those games. And I just didn't care that much about that many major titles. A few sure, but not a ton. I don't think the PS5 generation will change my perspective.

rallydefault wrote:

You're telling me you have no interest in Horizon Zero Dawn? Spider Man? God of War? Halo? Gears?

I'm interested in those Sony exclusives. Not the Xbox exclusives, by all accounts Halo peaked with the Bungie games anyway and I never liked Gears. But that's not even the problem...those are first party games. If Nintendo had a PS5 level console, it would still not get these games. Like...obviously. For someone talking about all those games I'm missing, you sure did only name the most obvious games that have nothing to do with this discussion.

Also COD and Madden outsell them, not to mention games actually on Switch also outsell them(both exclusives and otherwise). The biggest gap in terms of a popular game not on Switch to me has always been GTA5, and that was a 360 game.

rallydefault wrote:

But of course, you do you. But you're just kind of proving my point by saying it's not hard to stomach the gap in power right now... cuz...yea, not right now. But give it a couple years. You'll be singing a different tune.

I will not. Even if some of those big games that come out on PS5 interest me, its not a huge deal. At some point it might be...a deal at least, but most of what interests me isn't just the same AAA games in the same couple of genres. I like more than shooters and open world action adventure games so I think I'm fine.

Don't pretend you know me. I also have never played a mobile game, have avoided playing my brother's PS4 since he got it in October, the two games I played most this year were JRPGs, one a Switch game from 2017, the other a Japan only GBA game from 2006. I don't play games just because they have the most advanced graphics, or because they have the biggest marketing budget or because they're the most popular or brand new or whatever nonsense. I just play what I want to play. And I want to play far more games on Switch than I do modern games that aren't on the Switch.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

@rallydefault So... if you're interested in AAA multiplats and exclusives on other consoles, why not... buy those other consoles?

CoD probably isn't coming to Switch, or a Switch Pro, or Switch 2, or whatever. Ditto with most big AAA multiplats.

Just spend the money you'd have shelled out for a Switch Pro on a Series S + a year of GamePass, or a PS5 Digital Edition + a year of PS Plus, which would also net you access to a ton of high-quality games included by default.

There's nothing wrong with being Nintendo-only this gen like @kkslider5552000 if you're satisfied with that arrangement, but you're clearly not, and it's pretty pointless to keep being upset that Nintendo's priorities differ from your own.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

rallydefault

@Ralizah
Read my post, please. I said for most people the Switch (and previous Nintendo consoles) is only a secondary console.

@kkslider5552000
Sorry for the late response, had to read your post.
Like I said, you do you. You're pretty confident how you're gonna feel 2-3 years from now. Can I get you to give me some lottery numbers?

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Ralizah

@rallydefault We're not talking about those people, lol. Take your own advice and read what I said.

Why not branch out to other platforms instead of crying about self-imposed limitations on here?

The only demographic I can see this being a legitimate issue for are children who have no control over their own property. And they probably shouldn't be playing most AAA multiplats aimed at adults anyway.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Anti-Matter

@rallydefault
I have multiple video game machines from both Nintendo and Sony.
I have GBA, NDS, 3DS,Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch from Nintendo.
I have PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP from Sony.
There is nothing wrong to have multiple consoles.
They are different each others, have their power and their games library.
If i think some games are not good enough on Switch machine, i will pick the PS4 version instead and it saves my day.

Anti-Matter

rallydefault

@Ralizah
sigh

Are you for real?
If this isn't clear enough for you, I don't know what else to say:

rallydefault wrote:

As stated, if you view the Switch as a secondary console, then it's all good. But if you only have a Switch for whatever reason (and that's more people than we assume, I would wager), it's gonna start to be a bummer in the coming years after the remaining big releases are behind us.

There are plenty of people who only own a Switch and for a variety of reasons. If you can only think of kids at the mercy of their parents' whims, I really don't wanna be on your trivia team.

But don't mind me, I'm gonna go back to "crying" lol
(Can the internet deities please come up with a more creative expression someone like @Ralizah can use when they're feeling insecure in an argument?)

rallydefault

boondal

@rallydefault No one is worrying about the future, mate. They just do what they want in the moment. And if in that moment they'll be curious about what this Persona game or God of War game is like, then they will get a ps4. They won't or shouldn't worry or plan ahead of time. They should live in the moment. It's video games. A hobby. Chill out.
The gap in power doesn't matter. It's not inherent to experience of the video game.

Edited on by boondal

boondal

rallydefault

@boondal
It's an internet forum, man. There are tons of people here thinking about the future. That's like, over half of the discussions we have lol

Also, it'd be awesome if everyone could stop prescribing me varying mental/emotional (can't think of the right word, sorry) states lol

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

kkslider5552000

rallydefault wrote:

Like I said, you do you. You're pretty confident how you're gonna feel 2-3 years from now. Can I get you to give me some lottery numbers?

Lottery numbers are random numbers, my tastes are fairly consistent. Most of the games I like I would've liked 10 years ago. I almost never go back to a game and feel notably worse about it (not even a lot of the dated N64 games or the like).

It's not even like I wouldn't want some of those high end games. There's plenty of entertainment I want to experience that I don't get to for a very, very long time. In gaming, outside of gaming, various things that I take a long time to get to. If I have to wait or whatever, eh whatever. I've spent so much longer getting to PS1/2 games, and I have a childhood fascination with them that I literally can't have with new games (barring certain nostalgia bombs like FFVIIR). Stop telling people what their tastes are, you do not know individual people better than they know themselves, and that goes double for me. It is incredibly rude to pretend otherwise. 2-3 years of no Ps5 graphics, oh no, I'll miss at best, dozens of games!

Not like my opinion has always agreed with the majority. Some of my favorite games during the Wii/DS era sold less than 500,000, I basically went against the widely agreed opinion that Wii had no worthwhile "hardcore" games beyond Nintendo's.

But who knows, maybe Eiyuden Chornicles will inspires tons of next gen HD-2d style games, Banjo Kazooie will be back, Halo Infinite will be as good as 2, the new Mass Effect and Bioshock will blow everyone away, Half Life 3 will be released, Platinum will stop working with Nintendo, Beyond Good and Evil 2 will live up to expectations, the most interesting indie games will be given money to stay on next gen and Bethesda's new games won't have massive issues. And simultaneously Nintendo will stop producing games I want to buy. If literally all that happens, maybe I'll reconsider. If that comes true then yes, that would be roughly the equivalent of winning the lottery.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Grumblevolcano

5 hours until we find out how much BDSP and Legends Arceus has changed in 6 months.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NintendoByNature

Won't be watching as it's first day of school for the kiddos, but I'll check in later to hear the hate lol.

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic