Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 57,201 to 57,220 of 70,002

TheFrenchiestFry

VR's a novelty. It always has been. It's cool to just have virtual reality for the sake of player immersion but it was never going to replace traditional couch gaming by a long shot

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

kkslider5552000

I looked up to see if people in 2021 were still calling VR the future, and they in fact, are. Which is incredible. I guess as long as its not a thing yet, it can always be the future to tech articles! In 10 years, maybe it will still be the future of gaming! Because it hasn't happened, we can always pretend it will eventually.

"Future of gaming" pfft. It's the future of gaming the way Dippin' Dots is the future of ice cream.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

I think a lot of pretty standard features of gaming were probably dismissed as novelties when they were first introduced to the market, so I don't necessarily buy the notion that it'll always stay this small, niche thing. I think, with the right push, and, frankly, with one or two huge games to drive adoption, it could absolutely blow up.

I could honestly see Sony making a bigger VR push soon once it becomes evident that the PS6 just won't be that much more impressive than the PS5, and once GamePass has matured to the point where Microsoft is eating big time into Sony's market share. Sony is going to need something to differentiate itself, and while they have a pretty sweet crop of first-party games brewing (for their fans, anyway; Spider-Man, TLOU, etc. don't really do much for me), their games don't have the industry shaking quality that Nintendo's most popular games have.

@JaxonH Yeah, I'm still on the V1. With that said, I also have a Lite for handheld use, so I'm hesitant to invest in hardware that's almost exclusively focused on improving the portable side of the Switch. We'll see.

@Giancarlothomaz Not watching the video, but I'm gonna have to disagree that 2022 is already better than 2021. 2021 is giving me MH Stories 2, new(ish) Ace Attorney games, SMT V, MH Rise, Advance Wars remakes, a new 2D Metroid... that's a damn hard act to follow. It's like a year scientifically designed to appeal to me. I'm excited for BotW2, of course, and Mario + Rabbids 2, but otherwise it's going to take a lot to one-up this year for me.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TheFrenchiestFry

It was only a few days ago I was made aware that a new Melty Blood game was happening

How did this slip by me

I love Melty Blood

Man it's such a good year for Fighting Game fans

TheFrenchiestFry

kkslider5552000

2022 is greater than 2021 just means "I have very basic tastes in gaming, what is video game that sold less than 3 million copies?"

I don't dismiss VR entirely, but I just got so sick of people hyping it up to such ludicrous degrees, just so 3 giant tech companies combined can't even hope to come close to the success of...the Kinect. Honestly I feel like it would've done better if arcades were still a popular thing. Because VR in arcades is a thing, and that makes more sense for a wide audience than expecting them to invest in VR headsets as they are right now.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

TheFrenchiestFry

@Wavey84 I never got PSVR for myself but I have cousins elsewhere that got the headset along with their PS4 and got to play Resi 7 in VR as well as Batman Arkham VR

Resi was really cool but honestly it's not something that would make me drop what I was doing and blow my money on the gear necessary to play that experience again. I'm more than fine just playing the game with a regular controller. It's scary enough on its own

TheFrenchiestFry

HotGoomba

I love VR and all, but it'll be the future of gaming once it stops giving epileptic people seizures.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

gcunit

@HotGoomba What proportion of the paying gaming public experience epilepsy?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

jedgamesguy

@JaxonH That’s more or less my own sentiment, people around me argue that VR’s eventually going to make normal video games obsolete but I just don’t see it that way. I feel like there should be games that have options to play in VR but not as many VR exclusives. And as you said playing games in VR is from experience quite taxing physically, even for people in reasonable shape. Swinging your arms, standing constantly, and possible backaches, among other things.

Joy Cons, and the Wii Remote are a bridge between normal games and VR games in that you can use normal analogue controls and controls sticks in conjunction with motion controls. But that’s all it needs to be. A bridge.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

gcunit

Haven't watched the whole video, but around 6:43 this guy presents a long-term joy-con drift fix, and does so quite persuasively.

Untitled

Basically, a small piece of card, inserted beneath where the thumbstick unit sits, provides some reinforcement to the base of the thumbstick unit and prevents the base moving away from the stick.

I don't need to try this yet, but it's another useful option to know about.

Edit: lol, looks like the story is already on the home page.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

jedgamesguy

@CactusMan Exactly. Things like motion sickness are very easy to aggravate, whereas sitting on a couch playing games is more or less harmless to the average human being.

There are some things that VR would be a game changer for, like driving games. I have a wheel, pedals and a chair and though I have little interest I am aware that using a headset for first person driving with that setup would be very immersive. But sometimes too immersive is not good.

And you’re right. Games with fixed cameras or isometric graphics just don’t work.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Heavyarms55

ULTIMATE NITPICK: I am actually kind of annoyed that the Switch OLED model changed the shape of the Switch's box.

This affects nothing in any meaningful way. But for some reason it bugs me. lol

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

rallydefault

@Wavey84
What I played on my friend's Oculus (I think it was the Oculus...maybe it was a Quest... it was standalone?) was really cool. I don't think it's the future of all gaming, but I think VR is gonna expand quite a bit more. I would also wager many of its critics haven't even tried it. (Be honest, people! lol)

Also, quick thing that makes me believe some of you guys don't really have a clear picture of where current VR headsets are (the cordless ones): you can totally play it sitting down or even lying down on your couch, depending on the game, of course. My friend plays this one minigolf game just lying down on his couch.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

JokerCK

@Giancarlothomaz hey guess what? You don't have to post other youtube channels every time? What a surprise right?

Edited on by JokerCK

JokerCK

JaxonH

@gcunit
Oh my gosh. I think he did it! He found root cause of joycon drift, and it's super easy to fix!

It makes perfect sense, it explains why some ppl experience it and others don't, it explains why compresses air works sometimes, it explains why it keeps coming back. It makes perfect sense!

Spread this video far and wide. First thing I'm doing if I encounter drift is adding a thin piece of cardboard under the analog housing. Not that I'll likely encounter it now that I use Binboks, but still. I use normal joycon at home for some games.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

RR529

I have a PSVR and think it's really cool, but will admit it's enough of a hassle to set up that I don't use it as much as I'd like.

I'll get into a phase of really being into it, play through 2-3 games (since they tend to be short), then not touch it for months on end before going through the process again. It is an unbelievable experience with the right game though, like Tetris Effect.

I don't think it'll ever replace traditional gaming, but think with enough evolutions (less wires, higher resolutions, and a smaller/lighter form factor that's easier to take off & on at a whim) it'll grow to be a sizeable subset of the gaming landscape like dedicated portables are.

EDIT: the reason you really don't hear about it in the day to day zeitgeist anymore is that the mobile solutions (Google & Samsung had sets that let you slot your phones into them, LABO style) which were most in the public eye flopped hard for various reasons (drained battery, phones with different resolutions & sizes, which caused them to slide around/sit in the device at different angles, caused issues).

However, on the PC side of things, while super niche, VR has only grown year on year (I looked up an article as recently as last year that said VR spending/adoption was still increasing every year despite the "fad" passing by the mass market). This is where the innovations are made however, so once the tech advances enough there'll probably be another mainstream push.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic