Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 49,681 to 49,700 of 69,981

link3710

@Magician That makes no sense. Nintendo doesn't use public emulators, they use their own proprietary ones. And their proprietary ones aren't based on reverse engineering, but can be built using the actual hardware documentation so they should be much better.

link3710

Ralizah

I'm pretty happy with Tetris 99, game backups, and NSO's game collection for the small yearly price they demand. I'd probably join in a coordinated worldwide boycott, but just refusing to pay for it is only going to deprive me of access to features I value more than a single $20 bill.

@JaxonH Honestly, just hack your vita and order an SD2Vita adapter. Sony's insanely priced proprietary memory format is insufficient for the needs of anyone with a sizable digital Vita game collection.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Thought about it, but my Vita is on latest FW now, and I've lost the drive to do all the research to hack. Havent even hacked my Wii U beyond the vWii mode. And havent hacked Switch either.

Though it would be good just for using normal micro SD. This 64gb cost me all my saves, and it's too small anyways. Eh. I dont play Vita anymore anyways though. Almost played Trails but ultimately went with PC where I can do TV in 4k or Win2 at 720p.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NEStalgia

@redd214 Ocarina is, IMO, best played on 3DS if you get the chance with the remaster, and I'd love to see that remaster moved forward. The original is just so limited by the hardware and so ugly in hindsight, the 3DS version gave the game the best love it would be able to get. Great game. Obviously dated in a number of ways. But the 3DS version (and Majora's Mask) are absolutely worth playing instead of the originals if possible. I don't think I could go back to the originals after "as best as it can be without a complete remake" versions were available.

Mario 64 is worth a run through. It's overhyped by far and viewed through nostalgia goggles in the worst of ways. It's rough, it's ugly, the controls feel weird, and the camera will make you Hulk-smash anything in sight, living or inanimate. But it was "the first", and it does a lot of unique things in a unique set of environments. And the DS version was worse rather than better. If you still have a Wii or WiiU around you can play these on the VC, but I assume you traded those in (if you had them at all.) Not sure it would be worth buying a Mini for...or really that any N64 games were. But it would sure be nice to get them on the VC again.

@Ralizah "insufficient for the needs of anyone with a sizable digital Vita game collection."
So, it's sufficient for everyone, then?

NEStalgia

JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

redd214

@NEStalgia No chance I'd be getting a 3DS/Wii anytime honestly. I'm at the point to where if its not on the Switch, PS4 (5), or I cant somehow stream it on a phone/tablet its just not getting played. Realized there's realistically just not enough time to play everything I want to play so if its not convenient, then its just not meant to be. I'm sure they wouldn't blow me away, just want to experience them I guess from a historical standpoint since they changed gaming as a whole in a lot of ways if that makes sense.

redd214

Magician

A minty new limited edition Switch Lite. Only five will exist in the world.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

NEStalgia

@redd214 Yeah, pretty much the same here. Honestly I still have 3 3DS's around and I haven't touched one of them since the day the Switch launched. I even have FE: Echoes, Ever Oasis, and Metroid sitting there in shrink wrap. I have never felt compelled to pick them up. Too lazy, I guess. PS/XB is just a button push to switch between, so that's fair game. But I find more and more Switch is what I grab as gaming intervals get shorter and firing up the stereo or grabbing headphones seems like a waste.

I can't imagine they'll keep Mario 64 withheld forever. Maybe if the rumors of an anniversary collection are true, that's why they're waiting.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia You'd be surprised. For such a thoroughly failed system, it managed to amass a respectable digital library.

@JaxonH Yeah, I was on the latest firmware as well, which is why I needed to downgrade.

I get you don't really feel a need for it now, considering you have your $1000 handheld computer that can apparently run everything from Wii on back with apparent ease, but, if you should ever want to go through with it, I'll link you to some tutorials. Super easy. I never ever hack or modify any of my consoles, and even I had an easy time of it.

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

@redd214 Ocarina is, IMO, best played on 3DS if you get the chance with the remaster, and I'd love to see that remaster moved forward. The original is just so limited by the hardware and so ugly in hindsight, the 3DS version gave the game the best love it would be able to get. Great game. Obviously dated in a number of ways. But the 3DS version (and Majora's Mask) are absolutely worth playing instead of the originals if possible. I don't think I could go back to the originals after "as best as it can be without a complete remake" versions were available.

The 3DS versions are without a doubt superior in every way. Definitely play those instead of the N64.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
If I ever get the energy to hack I'll take you up on that. I still need to update my 3DS from a9lh to bootstrap so I can update it to the later firmware and get the last few 3DS releases playable on it. And one of these days after Switch 2 releases and they stop updating Switch, Id like to hack a v2 Switch (assuming there's a hack out for them by then- Team Xecuter did it but they walled the hack off and sold it as SX OS, the general community still hasn't figured out how yet)

redd214

@Dezzy Once again, I'm not getting a 3DS lol. If it comes to NSO I will give it a shot, if not then it will be just one of those classic games I never got around to. I get that the remasters are better.

redd214

jump

@NEStalgia I feel bad for Ever Oasis, it was an interesting game unfortunately ignored just because the 3DS was almost dead upon the release of the Switch.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

JaxonH

I liked Ever Oasis. Cant believe they drug out so many games to 3DS that should have been Switch games. Almost put Atooi out of business. DID put Alpha Dream out of business. Who knows what it did to other studios.

Their fear of actually taking a leap of faith and supporting the next console did severe damage. Let it be a lesson. Dont drag your feet. If a new console is releasing, your game better be on it.

Ralizah

Ever Oasis would have sold millions of copies had it been on the Switch at launch. The thing wasn't backwards-compatible, and the only truly notable retail release for it was Breath of the Wild, so there was a lot of demand for something else to go with it. Probably why the overpriced minigame collection ended up doing so well.

But the failure of the Wii U had traumatized everyone, so even Nintendo wasn't sure about how the thing would fare. 3DS was old reliable, so I guess they figured it was safer to keep a few eggs in that basket.

Edited on by Ralizah

NEStalgia

Yeah, Ever Oasis looked like an interesting game, I was excited to buy it, but post-Switch it was hard to justify grabbing the 3DS and playing it. Much as I love the 3D. I'm not really sure why Nintendo refused to just bring the games to both systems, unless it's too difficult or expensive to justify supporting both in a game. Ever Oasis, Metroid remake, the M&L games I absolutely would have bought and triple dipped n Switch and instead ignored entirely on 3DS. It's great that they didn't abandon the old system, but continuing to release a separate library for it instead of dual releases really hurt a lot of those latter released games and the companies behind them.

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
Don't forget Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers 3DS
Nobody ever talked about that game here even i have created that thread long time ago.

Anti-Matter

rallydefault

@Ralizah
Oh, yea, I forgot about that game.

Well, if nothing "big" is coming out for Switch between now and the holidays, I may go back to my 3DS and run through a few of the classics I never got around to. May even get a New 3DS, actually, and play some Majora's Mask. Never properly beat it as a kid.

rallydefault

Ralizah

@rallydefault New 3DS is fantastic. Even if you're like me and have to switch to the non-face tracking 3D because your thick glasses throw off that technology, it's still significantly snappier and even has a few games that run much better on it (Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate; Hyrule Warriors Legends) or are exclusive to it (SNES games; Binding of Isaac; Xenoblade Chronicles 3D).

I've probably ordered almost $200 worth of 3DS games in these last few months. The games are all going up in price, and I want hard copies.

Eel

I have been buying several 3DS games too. Though mostly digitally. Slowly filling out the spots on my 2DS.

Heck I literally bought a backup 2DS to keep in storage a few months ago. It was amazing to find a new one at a good price.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic