Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 4,841 to 4,860 of 70,035

DjLewe78

@MarcelRguez

I don't know if you listen to IGNs NVC podcast but Peer Schnider seems to think there is one more vital link to this system that nobody has mentioned. That comes from one of his insiders and that guy DEFINITELY has insiders.
I don't think we should just expect a hybrid. It's something else, something people on the inside seem to be genuinely excited about.

1 up !

MarcelRguez

@DjLewe78 I do, from time to time, but I don't remember that line. I trust Peer's word, but I'm not sure if he's one to keep up with every little rumor and supposed leak that comes out. It might have been mentioned but slipped by him.

If there's more to the system than what we know, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not expecting it. This concept sounds good enough for me as it is.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@MarcelRguez If it's like that then you've got basically a Wii U that's less functional than the Wii U, he's got to be wrong.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MarcelRguez

@Grumblevolcano I'm not seeing how it's less functional. If anything, it's what the Wii U should have been in the first place.

MarcelRguez

DjLewe78

Here are some questions I have no idea what the answers are but will hopefully help me delve into the minds of the NX creators.

1. If the NX lifespan will be say 4/5 years, where will purchasable mobile technology be by then?

2. Can a mobile phone (top end like S6/S7) easily run a 3DS game (let's say mario 3d world) today?

3. If the NX is a separate portable device, could it take phone calls from your mobile with technology available now?

4. Does such a device exist that attaches to your mobile that gives it console style controls?

1 up !

MarcelRguez

@DjLewe78 As far as the second question goes, the answer is a rotund "yes". Same for the fourth one.

MarcelRguez

Grumblevolcano

@MarcelRguez Well it sounds from that like you can only use the handheld for games (no other controllers like GC controller for Smash or some sort of pro controller), can't use the handheld at all without it being connected via a cable which means the connectivity range is even smaller than with the Wii U.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MarcelRguez

@Grumblevolcano I'm really not following your logic. From where are you taking that you can't use the handheld without it being plugged in? He's saying the opposite: you can take the portable on the go, but you need to plug it in to use the NX as a home console.

Other than that, I don't see any reason why they couldn't add support for additional controllers. We still don't know how the base/console unit works.

Edit: re-reading the quote, I kinda see what you mean. That you can't play, let's say, the regular version of Assassin's Creed on the portable itself without being plugged in, right?

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

skywake

@DjLewe78
The questions you're asking. I could answer them but I don't think they're the right questions. If people don't want to carry around an extra device for portable gaming? Well then they certainly don't want to plug in a whole bunch of accessories to their existing phones.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Therad

@DjLewe78 Yes, they could. The raw processing power of s6 is about eight times that of 3DS.

Therad

DjLewe78

@skywake

All I can do is image someone playing a game on NX on a crowded train, and his/her phone rings and now there's an NX wobbling around on their legs while the scramble around for their phone.

Do you understand what I'm getting at? It's 2016 nearly 17, everything is connected these days, so why wouldn't Nintendo capitalise on that.

Basically I'm not convinced we have the whole story at all so I'm looking at cheap, innovative solutions that don't involve having a separate machine in your pocket. I'll still buy one I'm just a little underwhelmed at needing two machines both capable of playing good mobile games in my pocket.

1 up !

zitpig

I just got an email from Nintendo that stated -
[quote]"Watch live and you could win a Nintendo Classic Mini - 4pm, 6th October"[/QUOTE]
My heart skipped a beat and I thought "Yay!!!! Finally the NX reveal"

Then I opened the email and it's a show about the NES Mini. How deep do you think my heart sank?

Phhhhhh...

zitpig

Therad

DjLewe78 wrote:

@skywake

All I can do is image someone playing a game on NX on a crowded train, and his/her phone rings and now there's an NX wobbling around on their legs while the scramble around for their phone.

Do you understand what I'm getting at? It's 2016 nearly 17, everything is connected these days, so why wouldn't Nintendo capitalise on that.

Basically I'm not convinced we have the whole story at all so I'm looking at cheap, innovative solutions that don't involve having a separate machine in your pocket. I'll still buy one I'm just a little underwhelmed at needing two machines both capable of playing good mobile games in my pocket.

I agree, I am not fond of the whole portable leak. I hope they have different form factors, I.e a stationary console.

Therad

skywake

As I currently see it here are a few possibilities.....

NX is a portable with a "dumb" dock:
What most of the NX thoughts until today just assumed. Also something that I've more-or-less thought the NX was pretty much since the start. Minus a few weeks when the Zelda:BotW bit confused everyone. I think this is the most likely scenario

NX is a portable with a "smart" dock:
This gets a bit tricky. I think it's fair to say that this would be similar to the above scenario for the end user experience. Basically what they'd do is have something like a higher powered GPU in the base. But at that point you're adding cost and complexity. Neither are good things. Especially if you want to streamline development and make friends with third parties

NX is a standard piece of hardware with different SKUs:
Not to far from what you get with Android and iOS devices. Someone builds an app for Android? It can run on your phone, tablet or TV. Because the base its all built on is essentially the same. This way there could be a portable NX and a home console NX. They'd be different pieces of hardware with slightly different specs. But they'd be similar enough that games built for one could run on the other. I actually quite like this idea even if I have no idea which SKU I'd get.....

NX is a home console with a VMU style portable toy:
This would definitely be technically possible. No doubt about that. But there are issues with it on both extremes. If the portable component is well under-powered? Then it becomes just a gimmick. Nobody will care. What you're selling at that point is a glorified Pokemon pedometer. If it's a decent portable? Then at that point why sell it in the box at all. Again, what's the point? Congratulations, you've basically invented a 3DS/Wii U bundle.

NX is a home console, the portable component is on iOS/Android:
Well maybe. But at that point what you're talking about is every console on the market already. This is already a thing. If this is the big gimmick? The leaks wouldn't be talking about a portable component. It doesn't add up.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

@Nintenbomba128 That said, I wouldn't be surprised if 3D World ended up with a 3DS port. Nintendo seems to be brutally pulling the best of the Wii U's library away from the Wii U.

Grumblevolcano

LzWinky

[quote]I just got an email from Nintendo that stated -

zitpig wrote:

"Watch live and you could win a Nintendo Classic Mini - 4pm, 6th October"[/QUOTE]
My heart skipped a beat and I thought "Yay!!!! Finally the NX reveal"

Then I opened the email and it's a show about the NES Mini. How deep do you think my heart sank?

Phhhhhh...

Your heart oughta kick your eyes since it said "NES Mini" on the subject line

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic