Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 47,181 to 47,200 of 69,964

link3710

@Cotillion Untrue on the Wii U one, the disc reader in it cannot handle GCN discs. Only a small handful of models could read that type, and by the time the Wii U was around it would've been a choice between BC and a disc drive with modern speeds unless they went full custom.

You can however get GCN ROMs running on it natively with only a minimum of emulation (Nintendon't does emulate certain features, it's not purely running native).

link3710

Heavyarms55

Are we still talking about whether a potential Switch 2? I think they'd be absolutely out of their minds to drop the hybrid format. And furthermore to not be backwards compatible. It's easy to point to odd choices they've made like dropping the GBA slot on DS or Gamecube support for Wii but remember, every 3DS played the entire DS library and the GBA line played Game Boy and Game Boy color games too (with the exception of the micro)

I think any potential successor system would certainly be backward compatible and be a hybrid.

One thing I think is possible - though I would not like it however - is the possibility that they will go all digital. Not just Nintendo but the entire gaming industry is trending in this direction. I do think it's less likely, since we know PS5 and XboxX will have disk drives still... but still possible.

I could also see them releasing a cheaper version lacking game card support.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Cotillion

@link3710 That's literally what I said, that it lacks the hardware for the mini discs. The Wii U can still technically run NGC games, had it had the disc reader to do so (and if it had, Nintendo would have put those functions in that Nintendont emulates).

Cotillion

Grumblevolcano

If a Switch 2 wasn't completely backwards compatible, I'd imagine it would be games like Super Mario Party and Ring Fit Adventure that wouldn't be supported as it's usually the peripheral games that get affected. For example the 3DS didn't play all DS games, the ones that used the GBA slot like Guitar Hero On Tour weren't playable.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Anti-Matter

@Grumblevolcano
How about some NDSi games on 3DS ?
Is the camera on NDSi same as 3DS ?
I noticed there is a feature on Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 cannot be used on 3DS due to different hardware.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Heavyarms55

@Anti-Matter Which B2W2 features are you talking about? There are some online features that are no longer supported because Game Freak no longer supports them - but I don't think there was anything specific to the 3DS that prevented features from the game. Not that I remember.

Anti-Matter

@Heavyarms55
If i remembered, the games warned us if there were some features cannot be activated when i played them on 3DS.
I didn't remember the detail exactly but i guess it related with NDSi features only.

Anti-Matter

Heavyarms55

@Anti-Matter I think you might have that backwards, I know some 3DS features couldn't be used while playing DS games. But I don't remember there being any issues with DS features not working on 3DS. The only Pokemon games that lost features if you played them on 3DS (or DSi) were the 4th generation games because the console didn't have a GBA slot. In those games you could put a GBA Pokemon game in that slot and it changed encounter rates in the DS games and let you transfer Pokemon from the GBA games to the DS games.

Tangerine

Its tempting to sell my OG switch now since switches are so scarce and new ones have a massive markup from scalpers.

You could probably sell your used switch for enough to buy a new model (the longer battery life one) when they come back in stock, with some money left over even.

Of course I'd have to be switchless for how ever long it takes for new models to be plentiful again. That may be difficult!

Also I see cooking mamma on uk Amazon to preorder for 35quid for this friday release. I'm wondering if that's going to be worth money in the future? With the whole taking down from e shop with no explanation fiasco... By the time I make my mind up whether it's worth buying it will be sold out no doubt :/

Edited on by Tangerine

Tangerine

FragRed

The type of system the Switch 2 ends up being will greatly depend on how limited the compact size will effect the hardware they can put inside, along with a sufficient way of keeping it cool whilst providing a significant power boost to make it considered a true sequel/successor.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

BruceCM

With the way mobile technology has improved, @FragRed & given the amount of attention devoted to it .... It should be quite possible to do that in a few years!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Lucarianzx

I kept on putting this off for so long but Bestbuy put out a sale on mario+rabbids for $15 and honestly at this point I feel like I don't have anything to lose; is it a good game? (I've read a few reviews but I need some other opinions)

I don't like Monster Hunter.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCySCtUppltv_WhFobC0Rq8w? (My safe place)
I'm probably listening to green day right now.

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed My guess is it would have a small power boost like the jump from Wii U to Switch. Perhaps around the 2013 XB1 model then?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano Yeah that’s what I’m thinking, though it’ll depend on what Nvidia has available. It’ll be interesting to see, whatever happens, how third party publishers treat the system as the next generation progresses. I wonder how many games will be able to be ported over, especially as more and more will make use of the SSD features they will have.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

redd214

@Lucarianzx Do it! It is a very good game, tons of fun and this is from someone who almost never plays strategy type games. Absolute steal at that price, buy it!

redd214

Lucarianzx

@redd214, ok thanks I needed a good game to pass quarantine besides AC

I don't like Monster Hunter.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCySCtUppltv_WhFobC0Rq8w? (My safe place)
I'm probably listening to green day right now.

BruceCM

It's certainly well worth it at that price, @Lucarianzx .....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed Yeah. As PS5/Series X can't play PS5/Series X games on an external hard drive (has to be on a SSD), even if a Switch 2 exists I'd imagine 3rd party support would plummet once PS4/XB1 stops being supported.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano Yeah that’s what I’m expecting. I can see a lot of current generation ports happening but not so much from next generation which could prove problematic for Nintendo. I also wonder how well Nintendo will cope in creating games for such powerful hardware considering how they struggle with getting games out in a timely fashion as it is.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic