Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 41,521 to 41,540 of 70,058

Ralizah

@JaxonH Honestly, the Spyro trilogy beats the pants off of Mario 64. Aside from the dated controls (which shouldn't be a factor in the remake), they're a lot of fun. Just keep in mind that, however pretty they are, they're still PS1 games underneath.

@Morpheel Seems like a weird omission. Is it common for companies to not ship to Mexico?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

GeeEmm wrote:

Keep forgetting about Oninaki, it looks fantastic.
God Eater 3 has its hooks in me..it’s all I can think about playing and MUA3 and Fire Emblem are just around the corner. A good problem to have I guess. lol

I know, right? I’m having a blast with God Eater 3. I really didn’t expect to get into it is much as I have, but this game is a legit MH style game. There’s a lot of clones on the market and none of them have ever really done anything for me, but I always thought GE was the one alternative worth it’s salt. And I played both previous games, but I just never really got hooked by them and always got distracted soon after.

This one is different. I’ve been going through the different weapons and I think I’m going to stick with the great sword, or “buster sword” as they call it, which to me it’s the equivalent of the great sword in MH. Though I also like the dual blades which morph into a glaive at the cost of draining stamina, almost exactly how dual blades in MH works draining stamina when in demon dance mode.

And it actually has a decent story and cutscenes, something MH has never been known for (though World had a few cut scenes the story was as thin as any previous entry, it’s just a prop to give reason for hunting monsters). Which, I play these games for the gameplay, but it’s a nice little bonus.

It’s a really solid game mechanically though. Much more beginner friendly than MH, easier to get into for sure, but still retains enough depth to remain engaging and thrilling.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Tangerine

Think I've missed my chance to get a special edition of astral chain? I'm new to buying special editions to be honest. Do they tend to restock?

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it still available to preorder at GAME

Edited on by Tangerine

Tangerine

Ralizah

@RedderRugfish The Spyro games were pretty technically impressive for the time, had decent voice-acting, great humor, fun areas to explore, etc.

The Crash games would rank at the very bottom of any list of well-known platformers from that era for me. The level design was so bad. As was the reliance on level gimmicks as the series went into the third game. :/

Edited on by Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

I played Spyro as my first ever game, so sure there are some nostalgia goggles.

Thing is the games are really good and went from strength to strength.

The first was pretty much go area to area and explore to collect stuff, sometimes leading to some neat and tricky exploring.

The second streamlined the levels a bit and added missions in addition to a main objective to beat the level, while collecting things, giving you more to do in a more concise level.

Spyro 3 added 4 other playable characters and some vehicle minigames too. The structure is largely the same as 2. You need to beat every level but some levels require more Eggs to unlock that you get not only from the main objectives, but also side quest style missions or side areas in each level.

Whereas 2 didn't have those side areas as dedicated separate areas, instead having them as part of one large level. It meant yeah it's one consistent stage but how expansive those side missions could be was limited.

Plus 3 having only two collectables is cool. Gems to unlock things like new characters to progress or roadblocks and Eggs for stages. 2 had gems to unlock abilities or certain roadblocks, orbs for stages, and Talismans from the main objectives for bosses, except the last one.

And Spyro 1 changed your requirement on a world by world basis. You need any 10 dragons to get to world 2, X gems for World 3, Eggs for world 4, dragons again, then gems again for the final world.

But the core gameplay remains the same.

Just be warned Spyro 3 at least on PS4 doesn't run as well since that was outsourced entirely.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

I'm still dubious about how any of the games are going to perform on Switch. Particularly in handheld mode.

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah It's UE4 so it'll be blurry, if history is anything to go by. I still think Yoshi manages to have the highest resolution of any UE4 game handheld. Maybe Fortnite though that's at the cost of performance, and is also far more dynamic.

I mean so long as it's better than Crash with it's 480p handheld mode then I'm okay. But it's also a much bigger game...

Hmmmm

Ralizah

@Knuckles-Fajita Yoshi drops as low in 396p in handheld mode, apparently. Even docked, the game never hits 720p.

Buizel

So I played the Dragon Quest Builders 2 demo out of curiosity (it's not typically my type of game, but the DQ theming / RPG elements intrigued me)...

I ended up buying the full game. And wow, I might be on to a new addiction here.

I think what clicks with me in this game as opposed to other similar titles (strangely Stardew Valley, a game which I really did not understand, comes to mind), is the sense of purpose and direction. The game's story and missions are really motivating, and I find myself wanting to go above and beyond what the story asks of me.

Plus the game is getting me very excited for DQXI, and I've never personally even finished a Dragon Quest game.

Between this, Mario Maker, and Forza, I truly feel spoiled for games this summer. I hope I find time for Fire Emblem!

@JaxonH Personally, I think the Spyro games are the best 3D platformers of the 5th generation (yes, I would place them above Mario and Banjo). I will certainly triple dip on the trilogy when it comes to Switch (I bought it twice on PS4...don't ask), and almost certainly 100% the whole trilogy again. This does has some basis on nostalgia...but this is nostalgia that hasn't worn off (unlike for Mario 64, where I find it difficult to look past how that game has aged!). I think what makes the most difference is how Spyro controls...he's nowhere near as clunky as other platforming mascots from that era, and his glide/charge/flame combo is an absolute perfect fit for the level design.

@Ralizah Yoshi never hits 720p? I find that hard to believe - the game looks stunning on my 4k TV. There must be sme excellent visual trickery going on.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Tangerine

I still need to beat the FINAL, final boss on yoshi. I imposed a rule of not using any of those cardboard box outfits which give you extra health... to artificially make the game a tad more challenging. I tried a bit then gave up :/ I feel I should try again but if I end up having to use a cardboard box outfit to beat it, I'll be annoyed with myself! Great game though.

Never had a playstation, never played spyro. I'm interested to play it if it runs well though. I want to play super lucky's tail too.

I still haven't opened dragon quest builders 2. I'm playing steamworld dig 2 which I downloaded in the sale. Really enjoying it. Much better than the first steamworld dig.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07QD6R5L7/ref=ox_sc_saved_i...

I really like the look of this micro sd card. I know it's a ripoff but it has a Nintendo star and its yellow! (What's wrong with me!?)

Edited on by Tangerine

Tangerine

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah Hmm. Looking at UE4 games on Switch it's likely Spyro may be rough, if even exclusives cant hit HD all the time.

Still, it'll be a good game. Maybe they'll even fix some of the glitches with 3.

1UP_MARIO

@Tangerine just go for the 400gb for less. You won’t be disappointed

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Haruki_NLI

So this a very me thing but I upgraded from a 128GB card to a 400gb one.

Somehow I,m nearing 100gb left...

JaxonH

Best to jump on this 400gb micoSD for $52.99 because so many people I’ve seen use double or triple what they expect to use.

I’m working on my 2nd 1TB card myself, and I started off buying a 256gb and thinking “if only they made a 512gb I’d be good” (of course, deciding to buy digital for all the biggest games has been a factor, but more and more of us here are buying digital nowadays so it’s not a problem unique to me)

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Tangerine

@1UP_MARIO I've got a 400GB card I got it for £55 on Amazon. Twas a great purchase! I've got a lot of room left on it as I buy physical if available. I'm just a bit of a sucker for Nintendo stuff. If I bought it I'd just keep it unopened and add it to my collection!

I wonder if there will be any Nintendo offers on Amazon prime day. Or a xbox one x for a great price. I'd be tempted if it went down to £250. I need something to play Cyberpunk 2077 on.

Tangerine

darkfenrir

I want to buy bigger storage card, but right now my 128GB still has around 80 GB free space (Although with DQXI S, Pokemon and Luigi's Mansion in the future... that probably will change), and that over here, SD Card is sooooo pricy!

256 GB is still 46 USD!

darkfenrir

Anti-Matter

Mine is still have 99 GB Free Space from 128 GB.
Lately i have recorded a lot of Zanmato's moments from my FF X Switch. 😅
Zanmato was very rare so i recorded that rare moment.

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano

I may need to upgrade soon, only get 46.3GB left on my 128GB microSD card. Maybe a task for Black Friday deals as all the games I'm wanting so far for the rest of the year are physical so it's all about DLC and updates.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic