Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 40,121 to 40,140 of 69,964

JaxonH

Hollow Knight Collector Edition came in from Fangamer. It’s pretty slick.

Untitled

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Arbor

@JaxonH ah damn. i was tempted to get the collector’s edition but my bf talked me out of it, since i’ve never even played the game before, so i just got the standard. it looks awesome!

Arbor

Ralizah

@Octane LMAO They also "gift" me platinum points on my birthday. A currency so worthless that I just willingly let them expire month after month because there's nothing to do with them.

I'm not sure how they managed to replace the worthless (by the end of its life, at least, because it used to be decent) Club Nintendo with the even worse My Nintendo.

Thank god for Gold Coins. They're not a massive savings, but that automatic 5% back on digital purchases is welcomed.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Ralizah

Alright. Researchers have released a new test to determine if your love of video games is PROBLEMATIC.

Go to https://do-i-play-too-much-videogames.com to learn if, indeed, you play too much video games.

My favorite line from the survey, by far (emphasis mine):

"You have completed most of the survey and you can now choose between finishing it and receiving feedback for the questions you have responded to, or alternatively you can continue a bit further and respond to a few more questions to find out the psychological reasons about why you play video games."

Which is funny, because I opted out at that point and still got a makeshift analysis of my motives for playing video games (only one I scored highly on was the "recreation motive;" apparently, "[I] probably play because [I] like to be entertained;" I've gotta admit, it was a bit creepy to see the depths of my soul unraveled like that).

I got a 9/20, unfortunately, which is well within the PROBLEMATIC range (the range where you're apparently more likely to suffer from addictive behaviors related to video games). Let me know if you get a 100% completion trophy for getting 20/20.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

@ReaderRagfish I guess 9/20 is the unofficial "you play video games too much each week, but we don't actually see anything we'd consider a red flag in your responses to our survey questions" score. Presumably we'd be better off if we engaged in more healthy and pro-social activity, like binging mediocre TV shows on Netflix.

Edited on by Ralizah

Buizel

I got 6/20 with maxed out recreational motivation and low competitiveness. Not surprised at all really.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

BruceCM

Huh, I also got 9/20 .... Quite happy with that, tbh, as I thought I'd get a higher score

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

HobbitGamer

5/20, Recreational. I wonder what a “Bacherlor’s” degree is, though. 😂

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Haruki_NLI

That read like a mental health test.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

BruceCM

Knuckles-Fajita wrote:

That read like a mental health test.

That's because it is.... Hence all the questions about how gaming ruins your supposed 'life' :s

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

-Green-

People meme on the whole video games addiction thing, but it’s not supposed to say that video games are bad for you at all. That’s just how people like to spin it to push their anti-video game agenda.

It’s supposed to help people who genuinely suffer from harmful addictions to video games that severely impair their lives as a whole.

Edit: It’s a mental health condition so it takes time to diagnose and falls under a broader scope than most things. People be like “oh I play video games 9 hours a day and am fat but I’m super social, I’m a video game addict, am I an addict”. As if mental conditions such as these can be so easily diagnosed especially by a doctor. It largely also falls under the impact of how people misunderstand or downplay possible mental health

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

NEStalgia

@Ralizah LOL, I still don't understand the overall bias against video games in media. It makes no sense compared to the rest of media. Though I am still convinced it has to do more with the personality of the typical gamer than playing games directly. Got to admit, there's something "off" about the typical gamer. Even as a gamer, I don't really want to associate or be associated with gamers.....

@-Green- Of course the "mental health" medical industry is kind of a joke as well though. They discuss behaviors as though they are genetic defects or a virus attacking the body, when the behaviors are primarily induced environmentally, and would not exist an another environment. "Mental health" tries to classify the brain's reaction to the external stimulus around it in the terms of physical medicine, and tries to "treat" it accordingly rather than merely understanding the brain's reaction to what is around it, and the fact that the broken, fast, contradictory world of today is going to "break" the "normal" process of most brains.

NEStalgia

-Green-

@NEStalgia I actually agree, my main point was more or less people shouldn’t try to so simply downplay addictions. People change slowly, but feeling like you’re understood and accepting possible problems is the first step to bring about possible positive change, imo.

The mental health medical industry is very largely neglectful in how it approaches helping others, sadly. Many of them will just try to medically treat you, throwing medication and overwhelming people with treatments. Likely making things worse. There’s a lack of awareness and care much of the time.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

HobbitGamer

@-Green- Yeah, it’s the whole “Teach someone to fish” thing. Cognitive awareness and coping skills are much more beneficial than just handing over medication alone. If two people don’t have the same tools in their box, you can’t expect them to both approach a leaky faucet the most competent way. But if they’re both taught how to recognize the leak, decide what tools are needed, and how to combat the leak, you’ll have a better outcome for the long term than just handing someone duct tape. It doesn’t need to be more complex than that.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

link3710

6/20. What a weird exam. Honestly it was nice how few of the questions applied to me I guess?

link3710

Haruki_NLI

@BruceCM I know it is. It read far too much like my screening for MADD.

In fact the questions are identical.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@-Green- Addictions are serious, of course, and video game addiction can absolutely be a thing. The problem is that the WHO's wholesale creation of a new disorder for this is... controversial, to say the least, within the mental health field.

If you're interested in some of the academic objections, this briefly summarizes some of the big ones: https://akademiai.com/doi/full/10.1556/2006.5.2016.088

Edited on by Ralizah

link3710

@Ralizah It's always good to see how I feel about the whole subject put into far more elegant and comprehensive words than I ever could have put together.

link3710

Late

7/20. Most points in simply enjoying gaming which is true. The questions weren't what I expected. Half of them were about playing games online and other half about life in general. I rarely play games online and I'm enjoying my life so filling the survey just felt pointless. They should have had a question about spending habits.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I woudn't trust the WHO to figure out how to put a bandage on a paper cut. A bunch of politicians in scrubs is every bit as bad an idea as it sounds. Meanwhile they can stand around debating on classifications of virulent pathogens as they ravage population centers, and pat themselves on the back for successfully identifying a 10 year plan.

If the WHO were in charge of medicine in the 14th century, the entire human race would have been wiped out by 1345.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic