Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 3,741 to 3,760 of 69,991

TromboneGamer

@Operative I don't think Nintendo is a Japan first company at all. Many of their business practices would lead you to believe that, but the western market is quite often the first to see their new hardware and first party games. As for the Gamestop expo it would definitely still be a very odd place to make such a major reveal, so yeah that likely won't happen, but there's still a good chance we'll hear something. Either a "very soon" or a date for the NX presentation could happen, but who knows for sure.

My Twitch

3DS Friend Code: 5412-9902-3413 | Nintendo Network ID: TromboneGamer | Twitter:

DefHalan

@FragRed I totally agree. Internet saddens me

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Moshugan

Now that was some eXtremely high quality trolling on mr. pereIra'S part! i just woNder why he thOught iT would be a good idea. :---)
i bet it even Rattled nintEndo's nerves A bit, him bLasting those tweets and whatnot all around!

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

DefHalan

Most Importantly, Can sOmeone COnfirm Nintendo will ShOwcase at gse (gamestop expo) products LikE: paper mario COlor splash, pokemoN, proFessor layton's daughter, detectIve pikachu, supeR Mario run

That took way too long and I hope I didn't mess it up lol

RR529

@DefHalen, you forgot an "R" between the first "C" & "O".

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

DefHalan

@RR529 dang, I did... oh well

skywake

dtjive wrote:

We've reached that point now where we'll be hearing of reveal date rumours almost every day. In March everyone was convinced that it would be at E3, but then Nintendo dropped the bombshell of it being a Zelda-only event. That naturally meant that the early period after E3 was also off the cards, otherwise why not just show it then?

So as we have been saying since then, the likeliest time of a reveal would be September. We're now in mid-September and so every Tom, Dick and Harry will be claiming to know some source that says "today's the day" or "23rd September is the day" because the timeframe of current theorising of a reveal is rapidly closing.

To be fair the predictions that they'd talk at E3 were just an assumption based on nothing much at all. They said they wouldn't talk about it until 2016? Well, they're saving it for E3 then aren't they. Big things are always announced at E3. So there was nothing more than that.

Since then we've had only two actual bits of information about the release date. The first was the Eurogamer rumour which said sources were saying around September. Now we have the WSJ saying sometime before early October. These guys have come to similar conclusions about the NX independently before. So I'd argue that as of now that's the only info we have.

But of course everyone wants their 5mins of fame. There are certain sections of the fanbase who are hungry for any information. Being as close as we probably are they're all getting in now. Things are moving so fast that there isn't time for all of the usual filters to stop crap from spreading. But that doesn't mean there isn't some real information out there.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

MarcelRguez

Seems things took a turn for the crazy the last couple of hours. If it means we'll get more info today, that's good. When does this GameStop thing happen, anyway?

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Therad

TomJ wrote:

https://gamersplash.com/2016/09/09/nintendo-stressed-out-nx-r...
We really aren't getting it this month then.

That said, I hope they do it right instead of screwing up the reveal, though I want to know now....

Why would gamer splash be a trusted source?

Personally, the whole interview feels too polished and structured. I have a hard time believing a developer would give such a lengthy interview about something he/she has a NDA on. And the interviewee doesn't sound like a developer, small things are off everywhere.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

dtjive

I think that Gamestop expo rumour is interesting. I doubt we'd be talking about an actual reveal here, but we could certainly get a "finally, we would like you to join us on September 29th when we reveal our brand new console, codename NX, in a special Nintendo direct".

And that would spark the beginning of a two week period giving teasers that aim to get people to tune in to the direct

dtjive

Bluefiregamer

^ I really hope so. I keep throwing my money at the screen for Nintendo but nothings happening LUL.

Its dangerous to go alone take this.

Grandpa_Pixel

Therad wrote:

TomJ wrote:

That said, I hope they do it right instead of screwing up the reveal, though I want to know now....

Personally, the whole interview feels too polished and structured. I have a hard time believing a developer would give such a lengthy interview about something he/she has a NDA on. And the interviewee doesn't sound like a developer, small things are off everywhere.

I read the interview and honestly I can see why they got past the NDA. It tells no secrets on the hardware or software. It is purely about documentation and support. Something that isn't as bound to an NDA as you'd think.

Grandpa_Pixel

Therad

Grandpa_Pixel wrote:

Therad wrote:

TomJ wrote:

I read the interview and honestly I can see why they got past the NDA. It tells no secrets on the hardware or software. It is purely about documentation and support. Something that isn't as bound to an NDA as you'd think.

Quite often they are forbidden to even mention they have a dev kit, for fear of people trying to break in and steal it.

Therad

Grandpa_Pixel

Therad wrote:

Grandpa_Pixel wrote:

Therad wrote:

TomJ wrote:

Quite often they are forbidden to even mention they have a dev kit, for fear of people trying to break in and steal it.

You'd honestly be surprised! I know quite a few devs in the industry who say only the "what is" and "how it works" are really focused on in the NDA. However a fair few of them just keep the whole ordeal quiet because it is just easier that way. Personally I'd keep my mouth shut if I ever get to develop on the Nintendo devices because I'd just not want all the questions.

Grandpa_Pixel

FragRed

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Dunno how I missed this post about NWPlayer123's tweets. I've heard about them before but don't know enough about their past to get too excited regarding what they posted. What have they said before that was accurate?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

SLIGEACH_EIRE

The Nintendo NX Seems Like It's On Track For A Delay

Nintendo has been in the news a lot lately, between their continued connection to Pokémon GO, and now their new relationship with Apple, which is bringing Mario to iOS.

But they have not been in the news for something that fans have been waiting over a year for, giving out information about their next video game console, the Nintendo NX. Last year, Nintendo puzzled many by saying that they would not share any information about the console until 2016, yet it did not appear at E3 of this year, nor anywhere else.

Now, we’re nine months into 2016, and the only information we’ve gotten out of Nintendo officially is a release date, March 2017, something that is looking less and less likely every time this issue comes up.

We are now approaching a point where a March 2017 release just does not seem wise or likely. Assuming that the NX is released at the end of March, before Nintendo’s fiscal year ends, that’s just about six and a half months from today.

Now, many will say that other consoles have been announced and released within the same year, most recently the PS4 and Xbox One. But there are stark differences in the situations which makes the comparison flawed.

While the Xbox One was officially announced six months before release, the PlayStation 4 was announced nine months ahead of time. But both consoles had the benefit of not only their own heavily-promoted live events to debut, but also blowout E3 shows that really dove deep into each system, and blasted hype (or a lack thereof, in Microsoft’s case) throughout the world.

It’s widely speculated that Nintendo will debut the NX in one of its famous Directs, a video presentation, and a March release would mean there would be no huge gaming shows like E3 to further show of the unit live. Nintendo has already been confirmed to be skipping the Tokyo Games Show, which is about to start and might have been a reasonable place to debut the NX, so that means the entirety of the messaging for the NX will have to be conveyed through Directs between now and release, or at best, Nintendo possibly setting up their own independent live event.

And then there’s the matter of a March release historically. No home video game console since the Japanese release of the PS2 has debuted outside of the fall holiday window, including Nintendo’s own consoles. While Nintendo’s alleged goal is to get the NX out before their fiscal year ends, it seems more than a little likely that once upon a time, their goal was probably to get it out for holiday 2016 which also would have been inside the fiscal year. It seems probable that an internal delay prevented that, even if the March date was the first “official” date.

That’s another thing. This is what Nintendo does. They delay things. They delay games all the time, from the years-long pushback of Breath of the Wild, to most recently announcing that its mobile versions of Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing were being pushed to 2017. It’s Shigeru Miyamoto who has the famous quote about how “a delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is bad forever,” and that philosophy probably applies to hardware as well. But with the Wii U essentially dead at this point, it’s unclear Nintendo wants to wait longer than they have to in order to replace it, hence this fiscal year goal.

They may have bought themselves more time with investors, however. Pokémon GO made their stock soar, even if it came down a bit after many realized they were only getting a sliver of revenue from the game. And their stock jumped yet again when they revealed their mobile plans at Apple’s event. If investors are confident enough in their mobile-themed future, perhaps that buys them more leeway for a pending NX delay, out of the fiscal year. Super Mario Run, out this December, could theoretically be another GO-sized hit, but this time it would be Nintendo raking in the cash, rather than having it split between multiple companies.

Right now, simply nothing about a March 2017 release date for the NX makes sense. Unless the NX is announced within the next week or two, it seems almost predetermined that the date will be moved, something I guessed might happen from the moment I heard it announced. We simply know too little about the NX too close to an alleged release, and with no big shows on the horizon, a few Nintendo Directs and some YouTube trailers aren’t going to be enough to generate the sort of hype the console needs for a proper launch.

I’m actually fairly hopeful about the NX, but that’s only been going off rumors and leaks, given that Nintendo themselves hasn’t given out even a morsel of information about the console, despite promising to almost a year ago now. A portable console combining home and handheld divisions, paired with a renewed focus on mobile seems like a good path forward for them. But this rollout, or lack thereof, is starting to get downright strange, and this March 2017 release date either seems impossible, or like a very bad idea.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/09/13/the-nintend...

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

WebHead

Therad wrote:

Grandpa_Pixel wrote:

Therad wrote:

TomJ wrote:

i legit know a guy on skype/another forum who now works at noa. he said hes not even allowed to say if he has even seen it or not.(not gonna say who for obvious reasons.)

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

FragRed

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Delaying the NX would be suicide for its chances of success I feel.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

TuVictus

Yeah I've been predicting a delay for a few months now. It'll be disappointing though.

TuVictus

Moshugan

@SLIGEACH_EIRE LOL, now your posting links like this and just a few posts ago you were touting that "it'll happen this week, have faith".

Ugh.. That article summed up my anxiety considering the NX March release quite adequately, though. All of this silence doesn't feel good man. Although that Forbes article is purely educated guesswork.
Even if they end up delaying the NX, I hope they'll be merciful and release the Breath of the Wild for Wii U earlier!

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic