Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 20,821 to 20,840 of 70,082

LuckyLand

I would like Nintendo to create a game with a koopa as the main character. I recently have noticed that imho koopas are very nice and fun as characters, for me they are the most nice and fun amongst all the Super Mario cast of characters (along with Donkey Kong if you want to count him as part of Super Mario cast of characters). I'd like a lot a game to play as one of them, a spin off like Captain Toad was.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Anti-Matter

@KirbyTheVampire
Speaking about gaming addiction, how about my gaming habit ?
I LOVE to play Dance Dance Revolution games since my cousin introduced me from DDR 3rd Mix on PS1 & Arcade. And i still play Dance Dance Revolution until today ( I have been playing for 14 years), maybe about 1 - 2 hours per week on Arcade. What is my gaming level ? Same as Jaxon ?

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@NaviAndMii
I still can't pass any Double play Lv 17 songs... X_X
But i can pass sometimes Lv 19 of Valkyrie Dimension on Challenge difficulty.
Btw, check my gameplay on Youtube.

I was the guy with Blue outfits + Blinfold.

Anti-Matter

rallydefault

@skywake
Yea... that's exactly what I'm saying lol
But when you imply that Switch "only" brought portability to AAA gaming, I don't understand why you're so light on that contribution. I mean, that's pretty huge. Yea, the Vita tried to do it but failed. Same with the Nvidia Shield or whatever that thing was/is. The Switch is the first "successful" console to bring this type of gaming to the medium, which I think deserves a bit more than an "aside" expression.

@JaxonH
Yea, I guess we're just gonna have to disagree on this one. I think, aside from the new hardware and some of the standout games that have been mentioned, this year was a dark one for gaming. With every Destiny 2, Shadow of War, and Battlefront 2, we're creeping closer to a "normal" that includes buying a game for 60+ bucks and in the process signing into a system of loot crates and various DLC that want more of your money. Some games, like Destiny 2, will keep the microtransactions fairly innocuous, but others will keep trying to push the boundaries. Battlefront 2 was foiled, for now, but it'll be back. And if gamers continue to buy this crud, we'll only have ourselves to blame in the future.

@Octane
Sorry brosef, I totally disagree with you on the MMO thing. Yea, it can sort of "take in" different genres of games, but MMO is considered a genre by itself and does contain a style of gameplay that just wasn't around until its inception. What game with the exact gameplay of World of Warcraft were you playing on the SNES or PS1 before MMO's became a thing?

rallydefault

JaxonH

@rallydefault
Thing is I don't even disagree about the whole further push with micro transactions. It was a bad year... for that

But even that can't take away from the greatness of all the other incredible games and systems released this year.

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times

(the two aren't mutually exclusive)

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

@rallydefault But WOW is an MMO-RPG. I thought we were talking about MMOs in general. But even a quick wiki-search results in names like Maze War (1974), MUD1 (1978) and Island of Kesmai (1985). Now, I haven't played any of these, nor have I played World of Warcraft, but I doubt it didn't take inspiration from other games.

These days people are also talking about the Soulsborne genre, and it wouldn't surprise me if a few years from now that name is just as common as Metroidvania. But did Dark Souls really do something completely now? Of course not, most games don't. Just like how World of Warcraft combined the concept of the early MMORPGs with that of 3D RPGs.

Octane

KirbyTheVampire

@Anti-Matter Wow, it must be pretty close, lol. Takes a lot of dedication to play the same game for so long.

KirbyTheVampire

gcunit

@Anti-Matter
Untitled

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Octane

Ralizah wrote:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-gamefreak-might-be-doi...

On the recent podcast of Easy Allies, Damiani said that he heard from trusted sources that due to the success of Breath of the Wild and positive reaction to Odyssey that Gamefreak might being doing something ā€œdisruptiveā€ like those two.

I'm not sure Damiani is the best source when it comes to scoops

Octane

Ralizah

Pokemon games are rarely well-optimized for the platforms they're on: just look at how Sun and Moon performed on the New 3DS, a machine that could also run Xenoblade Chronicles with nary a hitch! So I'm not sure I could see them designing a BotW-esque experience that didn't look terrible and run like pot. At least, not without some outside help.

A girl can dream, though.

@Tsurii What stupidity?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

IceClimbers

@Ralizah Especially if the rumblings are true about Nintendo pressurizing Game Freak to get the game out by Holiday 2018.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Kimyonaakuma

They'll probably change things a little but not to the extent of BotW and Odyssey.
Pokemon games are tricky because each generation adds a lot of improvements and features but then abandons them for the next game.

I'm not even sure how the games look to be honest. The 3DS games actually look pretty good but run at a low resolution. If they added any console level effects like particles and complex materials then the cartoony look of the games will be lost.

I think the Switch will see two generations of Pokemon on the system like the 3DS, and it will have the same growing pains as the 3DS had. X and Y obviously had some problems transitioning to 3D and the new games will probably have the same issues transitioning to HD.
The new Switch games will probably look like an HD Sun and Moon and we'll have to wait for the next generation for it to fully adapt. However that all depends how much time they give the new games, I would expect the games to come out in at least two years but they'll probably be pushed to release next year. But that's all my speculation, how would I know?

Kimyonaakuma

Ralizah

@IceClimbers I'm imagining Kimishima kidnapping key GameFreak personnel and forcing them to code 24/7 in decompression chambers.

@Kimyonaakuma Honestly, Sun and Moon would probably look really good in HD, so I'd be perfectly happy with a Switch Pokemon game running in that same engine. I'm just hoping the next game is a bit more freeform. It sometimes felt like you couldn't walk more than five steps in Sun and Moon without triggering a cutscene of some sort.

Edited on by Ralizah

DarkRula

I'm not sure the help of Genius Sonority would be much use in terms of HD, but they know a thing or two about console games - so if it was a joint venture between the two, maybe we'd get something decently optimised?

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

JaxonH

Just having PokƩmon in clean, HD graphics on handheld or TV, with full analog movement instead of 8 directions (maybe they already addressed that, Idk) would be enough for me.

Of course, I can only hope they up their game even half as much as the Zelda and Mario teams. Even that would make for an incredible game.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Kimyonaakuma

@Ralizah Yeah I agree that it would look amazing if it looked like an HD Sun and Moon.
I think if they used the higher res versions of each model, use higher resolution textures and run at 1080p then it would look amazing. 60fps would be nice but I'm happy with a stable 30fps. That would have to be manageable on a system as powerful as the Switch, especially when compared to the 3DS.

I think instead of focusing on "next gen effects" to use the power of the Switch they should increase the scale of they game. Bigger towns, bigger environments and a larger region overall. I don't want a sandbox or open world Pokemon game, but a bigger scale should be good.

Maybe have routes with a decent amount of branching paths, for example you could go through the river, stay up on a hill or use the cycle path. That way there would be more scale but keep the linearity of the routes. It also allows for new battles even if you go through the routes several times. The height of the maps could be improved because no landmass is as flat as they are in PokƩmon, and when they are it's masked with a loading screen.

Towns could also be larger, towns and villages should remain the same size but if you're going to call it a city make it large! Each region shouldn't only have one recently sized city each. Add extra streets, make more buildings for the player to enter and add more people. I think Yo Kai Watch has done better towns in recent years because they feel real, maybe GameFreak should take some of what they're doing on board?

EDIT - I'm really sorry to everyone that reads my replies! I just have too many ideas and write too much...

Edited on by Kimyonaakuma

Kimyonaakuma

Ralizah

@Kimyonaakuma Agreed. Pokemon, more than perhaps any other game, would massively benefit from expanding the scope of the world and allowing you to explore it fully. Which is why I still think the BotW approach, as unlikely as it is to happen, would be a great direction for the series to go. Everyone I know likes Pokemon primarily for the exploratory, adventurous vibe the series has always had.

If they did that, they could stay on Sun and Moon-level visuals forever and I'd likely be satisfied.

Sun and Moon already made huge strides in this direction on a visual level. The character models and even environments look fantastic in those games. It's just too bad they rip control away from you every five seconds.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic