Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 18,981 to 19,000 of 70,082

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@Inertiacreep I didn't want to say anything in the review on here, as it might belittle their work and some people can't let an opinion pass unchallenged but I think Wulverblade looks very boring. I watched 18 minutes of footage the other day, it looked repetitive and you're fighting the same enemies over and over, broken up by boss fights. I've read that there's only 8 levels as well. That's very short and I've also read in several places as in the review that it's very difficult.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

FragRed

@AlliMeadow I don't think there's been any sales figures but it kinda didn't do well in the UK charts from what I remember. Started at 7th position then just bombed hard the following week dropping outside the top 20 or 30. I imagine it's a similar result in other countries too.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

NaviAndMii

@SLIGEACH_EIRE I was surprised to learn that Metroid games rarely do sell well in Japan, apparently - which just makes what @FragRed said about the UK chart positions for Samus Returns all the more discouraging

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

SLIGEACH_EIRE

We might get some idea how it sold and other games as well in the US on Thursday when the NPD sales data comes out. Plus we'll get hardware sales figures.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Inertiacreep

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Have you ever played the genre? Double Dragon, X-men arcade game, Simpsons arcade game, Final Fight, Ninja Turtles arcade game, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, etc?

Last year I played through x-men, simsons, and both ninja turtles on RAINE emulator... they all took me about 30 minutes to beat... This is not an RPG. Yea you fight the similar guys over and over, thats not the point... The point is this is just a button masher and it happens to be very good. The violence of the killing blows and they spurts of slow motion is so satisfying and really invigorates the genre considering the gameplay of previously mentioned 80s-90s arcades... Infact the only thing that I would criticize this game of failing to give a modern at home arcade feel like an old arcade beatem up is that it has all this historical info and text you can optionally choose to open and read and I wish you could just remove these items and texts If you chose to because it detracts from the feeling for me.

But you mentioned only 8 levels and doubt the replayability.. Well I can say for certain if you intend to play multiplayer games with friends, this is probably better than anything... like you dont even know.. as for single player, not as much replayability but still its quite good.

The developers did an outstanding job on the 3 characters in my opinion because most of those older games all the characters are mostly the same except they may have a move or 2 they do differently. Wulverblade made 3 different strength heroes that attack differently with a couple -> -> A street fighter type moves and other abilities as well as being able to pick up different weapons on the ground. The difficulty of the game is good, but they should add ez mode for people who want it... But yea, you can play it through on all 3 heroes and just pick this game up every so often when you want for some instant hardcore decapitating action.

And most importantly lets not forget this is an indie game and its $20. And its a very HIGH QUALITY indie game that actually has some nice *** graphics and amazing, like super amazing music, voice acting and sound effects instead of all these cheap looking trash games everybody thinks needs hyping on the switch but my opinion is that will turn PS and Xbox players off who are looking at the switch to see what it offers when they see a system lacking games and flooded with cheap trash.

yea yea i know i know... some of the trash games are actually good... but its only some, most of those are no better than cellphone games.. and its also good to encourage variety but really some of those games are the last thing the switch needs.

Edited on by Inertiacreep

Inertiacreep

OorWullie

@SLIGEACH_EIRE That's what classic beat-em-ups are like though. Fight a limited range of enemies each level with a mid boss then an end boss. 8 levels is plenty for a game like this and is around the same as what the classics like Final Fight and Streets of Rage have, any more and it would get repetitive. The dev made clear he was inspired to make a classic beat-em-up as it's one of his favorite genres and by all accounts that's what he's achieved. If you didn't like beat-em-ups in the past then this game likely won't change that. Personally I love them and so I couldn't be happier with this little beauty. Seems the guy you replied to above thinks the same.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

JaxonH

The new 1.04 update in NBA 2k18 allows you to play online with friends.

There ya go people. The game is practically perfect now. The cut scene issue is fixed. The save corruptions are fixed. Save files are only taking up three gigs instead of five. You can now play with your friends online. And a whole host of other fixes.

My copy arrives tomorrow, how about that

NBA 2k18 Now Lets You Play Online With Friends

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Inertiacreep

@OorWullie yea i hope this game sells and they do a follow up, another beatem up but i think i read this game took 5 years?

Inertiacreep

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@OorWullie Yes, I've played the classics like Streets of Rage, Double Dragon and many others. I'm trying to think what's the most recent 2D beat 'em up styled game I've played. I'm sure there's newer but Viewtiful Joe was a standout game and immediately comes to mind, as was the sequel. They were excellent and lengthy too. Wulverblade doesn't appeal to me though. Good luck to them and I hope it does alright for them sales wise.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

rallydefault

Random: Anybody ever go back to the beginning of this thread like 2 years ago to see what we thought the "NX" was going to be? It's kind of hilarious.

rallydefault

antster1983

@SLIGEACH_EIRE It's a shame that Capcom are complete idiots, I'd love to see a new Viewtiful Joe game. One for PlatinumGames, perhaps?

antster1983

Switch Friend Code: SW-7169-0993-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: antster1983 | Twitter:

JaxonH

@Octane

I thought it was going to be a Wii U like console, but modular like Switch, where the controller/gamepad was smaller and sleeker and was fully portable, and played either companion games or downgraded versions of the regular games.

Not too far off the mark, really.

I mean, I think Switch exceeded everyone's expectations when we learned that the games, the full console games, would be playable anywhere. Most people didn't believe that would be possible. I certainly didn't- it's why I thought it would run companion games or downgraded versions that were developed separately and downloaded to the gamepad device.

The biggest achievement of the Nintendo Switch- aside from the versatility/agility via 2 removable controllers built in, tabletop mode, console and handheld mode with instant switching between (most people thought no, there's no way it's that instantaneous... but it is) and the instant off/instant on nature of sleep mode, using joycons as part of a handheld, or in a grip controller, or sideways individually, or split apart with motion... aside from all of that, the biggest achievement of the Nintendo Switch is the fact it feels like a home console you can take anywhere, as opposed to a handheld you can hook up to your TV. And that's no small feat.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

@Octane
lol

I was leaning more toward handheld-only, I think. I can't be bothered to dig too much haha

rallydefault

meleebrawler

@NaviAndMii The Metroid games just don't speak to Japanese culture, unfortunately. A big part of the series in general is the loneliness and (eventually) being a one-woman army... which in a country that rewards collaborative effort more than individual performance... yeah. Also why Ike and the Tellius Fire Emblem games are not very popular over there either; he's too good of a unit (notice this is the main reason people like him in other regions).

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Octane

@JaxonH @rallydefault I think my issue was that the 3DS didn't sell very well at €250, and its price had to be dropped to €170. I couldn't see them making a ''hybrid''/powerful handheld for that price. And they didn't. But even at €330, they still managed to sell a surprising amount of units.

Octane

NaviAndMii

Haha! I didn't have an account when this thread started - but I remember thinking for the longest time that 'NX' would be a more traditional 'static' home console (launching this year) with an attachable/detachable mobile phone-type accessory to follow in 2018! **face palm!**

@meleebrawler Ahhh - very interesting...now that you've explained it, that actually makes a lot of sense

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

OorWullie

I just got sent a $15 gift card there. Can't decide whether to go for Golf Story or Stardew Valley. I wasn't a fan of Earthbound what I played of it as I don't enjoy turn-based battles. I do however like golf games and really like the look of GS. I will add though, I couldn't be bothered with all the text in Mario Golf GBA, I ended up giving up before it even got going. Is Golf Story a lot more lighter on dialogue?

As for Stardew Valley, I also like the look of it and I enjoyed Harvest Moon on the SNES when I played it 6 or 7 years ago.,far more than I thought I would actually . That's all I can add to that though as I've no other experience with these kind of games.

Whatever I choose, I'll still get the other one eventually anyway but as my playtime is fairly limited for another few weeks yet, I'd like.to choose the one I'll probably enjoy more . any helpful opinions are much appreciated.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

KirbyTheVampire

@OorWullie Never played Golf Story, but Stardew Valley is basically Harvest Moon mixed with Animal Crossing with some RPG elements thrown in. Great game that's surprisingly deep, and one you can easily get 100+ hours out of.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic