Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,901 to 1,920 of 2,193

Pizzamorg

I was excited for Switch Sports, then it landed with a whimper, but now I am still itching for some sports titles. I was thinking about Mario Tennis Aces, but it seems a little too complicated for me. Are there any similar exaggerated arcadey sports titles, but ones that are maybe more about the sports themselves, rather than systems layered over those sports?

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Garsh

New user here, first post. I signed up because I don't know where to ask this.

Can anybody recommend a game that offers free form building, sort of like Minecraft (or more like Dragonquest Builders) but without being restricted to cubes? I'd like to be able to shape landscapes freely. I prefer fantasy or primitive themes, but I'm desperate enough to consider sci-fi or whatever.

Garsh

WoomyNNYes

@Garsh Yeah, getting away from cubes is tough. Portal Knights is another cube builder.

I can only think of two games that skew toward what you're after, Claybook and Lego Worlds, but I'm not sure they have what you're looking for. I dont' know if claybook will offer the freedom you want. Yes, the latter is lego blocks, but it might have more types of building? I could be wrong. That's my best guess based on watching new releases since Switch launched.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/claybook-switch/
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/lego-worlds-switch/

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Garsh

@WoomyNNYes Thanks! Neither of those are very close to what I'm after, but they both look very cool and worth getting into for their own merits. Nice picks!

Garsh

bixente

I've been playing Revita, an excellent roguelite that launched last month.

Highly recommend it for fans of the genre.

Friend code

SW-0378-6005-8904

Ryu_Niiyama

Haven is surprisingly good. Granted I think a lot of the game hinges on being emotionally invested in the couple (very grateful they added a same sex option) but over it’s a nice bit of game design overall.

It progresses at an even pace imo, right about when the novelty of wandering wears off and you want a map, the game gives you one and same with the timing for story progression as it kicks off the real conflict right when the couple (and the player) are getting comfortable. So much of how you level in the game is organic as well (convos between the couple, fixing the ship and cooking). The combat and movement are interesting but easy to master. The dialogue is superb and often hilarious but I do think it requires certain personality types to enjoy. Kay is a biologist and Yu an engineer and it shows, but I am pretty nerdy so they are a joy to watch their lives unfold. Yet at the core it’s a love story about two young adults fighting to be together in a society that would tear them apart. And despite their skills they are young adults in love. They have little tiffs or silly convos and they often seek each other out. It makes them feel like well rounded characters.

The fact that their society has nothing against homosexuality is an interesting juxtaposition (as I am a homosexual so it is a turn on its head to play this couple that don’t have the “traditional” reasons for being torn apart/hated. There are a few other mismatching factors that on Earth would earn them disapproval and I find it refreshing that absolutely none of those reasons are why they are being persecuted) that makes me root for them even more.
Also i wish more games would do character portraits they way this game does. The 3D models still move and emote during conversations so that they and the 2D images complement each other rather than one over riding the other. I also love the idle animations and the filler dialogue. They keep an amusing running commentary. That being said the world is (intentionally) barren and the combat works for the game but isn’t engrossing once you learn the patterns. It is an indie game so I would say wait on a sale but it has been enjoyable so far. I paid full price though and don’t regret it.

I’m supposed to be playing Kirby. Ah well.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

molesgaminghole

Theres so many great games on the switch........ a few less mentioned gems are.

New super luckys tale
Moving out (great couch coop game)
Everspace
Void bastards
wild at heart

All brilliant titles

molesgaminghole

My Nintendo: Gamermole | Twitter:

minecraftemery

I usually just play First Party titles but I have a few Third Party titles:

Deltarune is a free RPG game that is just as good as Undertale, at LEAST.

Any LEGO game (besides LEGO Worlds and LEGO Movie 2) is amazing.

Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville is an addicting PvP or PvE Shoot em’ Up with a great story.

And of course the underrated first party titles:

Paper Mario: The Origami King is an amazing RPG with a heartwarming story and memorable characters.

The 4 LABO games are super fun to make and use, the best is the VR Kit and the worst is the Vehicle Kit.

Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics has, well, 51 worldwide classic board/card/sport games,
including but not limited to: Chess, Shogi, Blackjack, Toy Boxing, and even Piano.

A lot of thes are my most played games on Switch, and going off of that my most played is over 174 hours of playtime… so yeah I play these amazing games a lot.

Currently Playing:

Idk

Switch Friend Code: SA-2504-2595-1902 | My Nintendo: Emery

Anti-Matter

@WoomyNNYes
I have Ty Tasmanian Tiger 3 on Gamecube and the graphic was really bad. The dialogue quality was like amateur conversations.
Ty Tasmanian Tiger 2 on Switch just digital only (code in box) and I don't like this business practice so I can always get the original version on PS2 with physical release.

Anti-Matter

Okami1

help help I'm looking for a game(/games) with a level editor (not mario maker 2)

dysgraphia awareness human

Duboiss

I passed 100 hours on monster hunter rise and im curious if monster hunter generation ultimate is still worth it ?

Duboiss

bitzie

Recently picked up my first Switch (OLED and I'm totally loving it so far) and have been grabbing a few games. I really liked Hob on pc and am looking for similar games. I did already grab Link's Awakening and it seems like it will be pretty good (except for the performance issues). I also grabbed Death's Door which looks promising. I'm looking for some more chill, exploration/puzzle type games; any suggestions?

bitzie

Fizza

@bitzie In regards to puzzle games, one series you can't go wrong with would have to be the Picross S series on the eShop: they're usually very cheap and each one has some great picross puzzles to enjoy (and if picross gameplay crossed with engaging stories sounds interesting, Murder by Numbers is also a great option). You probably only need to get one since they're so similar but if you really like what you play, by all means get the rest (I think there's even a SEGA themed one as well).

Apart from that, good chill games I feel include Animal Crossing New Horizons, Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (yes I'm serious), Stardew Valley, Breath of the Wild and a bunch more. As for my personal recommendations, I would highly suggest picking up Pokemon Legends Arceus (the Pokemon game for non-Pokemon fans), Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy or Turnabout Bundle (if you haven't played these games before, you are in for an absolute treat. There's a reason AA doesn't have the same visual novel stigma surrounding it), Super Mario Odyssey/3D World + Bowser's Fury (the best 3D platformers on Switch hands down, definitely give them a go) and at least a base NSO subscription (it gives you online along with a great, if slowly trickled out, selection of NES/SNES games and TETRIS 99 BABY WOOOOO).

Hope this was helpful and you have very good taste for picking Link's Awakening up!

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Okami1

@Fizza here's a like ♥ (10/10 read)

dysgraphia awareness human

bitzie

@Fizza Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I have my work cut out for me checking all of these out!

bitzie

BruceCM

Those 2 games are really quite different in a lot more ways than graphics, @Saf01 ..... How have you decided it's one of those 2, not 8, 9 or 12, though?
Any could be good as a 1st game in the series!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

BruceCM

Well, since you can't buy FFX on its own for Switch, you'd have to buy it with FFX-2, @Saf01 .... If you think you'll want to play all the FFs available, might as well start with FFVII
That was the 1st FF for a lot of people.

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

jedgamesguy

@Saf01 Depends what you want in a FF game. I've played through a bit of 7 and it can get pretty confusing at times. I'd say get 10, because it's more advanced than 7 in terms of gameplay, graphics, story, et cetera. Both are outdated by modern game standards but 7's flaws stand out glaringly.

Excited to hear which you get, or even both!

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic