Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,921 to 1,940 of 2,207

bitzie

@Fizza Now this is actually pretty funny... I was looking through Deku Deals to see what games I might be able to grab on sale and there was Hob! I had quickly looked at the Hob wiki page which at the top only mentioned PC and PS4 versions of the game. I didn't think to look at the platforms section on the right hand side.. So I had to buy it and once that's done, I'll be checking out some of your suggestions for sure!

bitzie

jedgamesguy

@Saf01 The environmentalism is really cool, agree there. It holds up well and can be a good message for today. Same with the almost biblical nature of Sephiroth! You could argue on the other hand that 10’s commentary on religion is a lot more fun to look at. You’ll see for yourself if you get it!

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Fizza

Right, so I've been on an absolute fix for games with good stories lately (Ace Attorney Trilogy, Pokemon Legends Arceus, Great Ace Attorney Chronicles and soon to be Skyward Sword HD), would anyone here have any suggestions in that regard? I definitely want to play Professor Layton at some point (@Tyranexx has convinced me in that regard that's for sure) and am interested in 13 Sentinels, Murder By Numbers and AI: Somnium Files. Preferrably nothing past 100 hours if possible! I don't want to get sucked in too deep. Also, Danganronpa is a big fat NOPE from me, I don't want to touch that series whatsoever.

Whilst I'm here, I may as well ask this as well: can you play the original Professor Layton games on phones? I'm aware that Ghost Trick is available there (another game I have to get to after playing every AA game) but I'm hoping the Layton games are there as well since I want to go in chronological order.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

JesseA

Panzer Dragoon Remake is $2.49 if anyone wants it. Never seen it cheaper.

Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Sam and Max and Broken Age are similar point and click adventure games with decent stories, but more comedic.

I'd check out any game by annapurna. They're pretty story based, visual novel types. Florence is on sale for 1.99 right now too.

JesseA

Tyranexx

@Fizza The only Layton game I know of that's on the Switch is Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy. I can't really comment on this one since I haven't played it, but online feedback suggests that it's weaker than previous titles that do feature Hershel Layton. It's also available on 3DS (original format) and mobile (free to start).

As for the others, the original Layton trilogy (In order: Curious Village, Diabolical/Pandora's Box, Unwound/Lost Future) is available on both the DS and mobile. All are decent entries, and Unwound/Lost Future contains one of my favorite video game endings. The prequel trilogy released later, but they chronicle how Layton and Luke met, as well as Layton's past. Last Specter/Spectre's Call released on the DS, but both Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy are on the 3DS. These last (or, timeline-wise, first three) do have an overarching plot, though Last Specter/Spectre's Call is the most removed from the others. In addition, there's a movie (Eternal Diva) set between the events of LS/SC and Miracle Mask, but it is skippable despite a few loose references in later titles. I've enjoyed the prequel trilogy so far, though I will admit LS/SC's plot resolution is...weird. Not as cohesive as other series entries. To my knowledge, there isn't a way to play the prequel trilogy on different platforms.

There are also a few spinoffs, mostly Japan-only, but some do praise Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright on the 3DS. I haven't played this game since it's rare/expensive in physical format, and the download size will more than max out my current micro SD card.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Fizza

@Tyranexx If Capcom ever decide to make another AA Collection for modern platforms, it would be cool to see them chuck in PL vs PW as a neat extra bonus. Then again, Nintendo themselves were the ones to publish it overseas so things could get a bit messy in that regard.

Tyranexx

@Fizza We can only hope! I'm holding out on getting Apollo Justice and both digital-only AA games since I think there's a good chance Capcom will bring them to the Switch at some point.

...Though I should probably play through Ace Attorney Trilogy first. I own it, but it's backlogged.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Fizza

@Tyranexx Once you do eventually beat it, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is a fantastic one to play in the meantime as well. Probably some of the best characters in the series, excellent music, great new additions to the AA formula and a expertly-realised setting. I've only beat the first one out of the two as of now but I cannot wait to start Resolve once I do eventually get around to it.

Tyranexx

@Fizza I assure you that The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is also in my backlog! I feel it's best for me to play through the original trilogy first, though I know TGAA is a prequel of sorts. We'll see what I'm up for when the time comes. I love a good story and decent characters, plus I'm a sucker for amazing video game music.

Fizza

I wasn't planning on coming back to this thread so soon (especially after picking up Let's Go Pikachu and Skyward Sword HD literally only 3 days ago), however a major development has occured that throws a spanner into the works to put it mildly: the Shantae games on Switch are on discount for the 20th anniversary.
I wasn't really planning on getting these anytime soon but those deals are really, REALLY good. I'll hopefully be getting Half Genie Hero Ultimate Edition as a result but I wanted to ask out of the other games on Switch, what one is the best to grab from the sale? I've heard Pirate's Curse is great and I'm also definitely interested in the original Game Boy game and even Seven Sirens to an extent so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and have a great day!

NintendoByNature

I picked up Clan O Conall as it's on a sale. And it only Launched yesterday! It's actually pretty good considering the cost of the game. Combat and platforming reminds me of guacamelee but not the same polish as it. Well worth the 5 spot I've spent on it. Just a note though, it's not a metroidvania like guac.

NintendoByNature

WoomyNNYes

So, @Eel, which Toree game do you like best? Toree 3D or Toree 2? -Feels dumb asking given how cheap they are, 99 cents each (US), and I have about $2 of gold points (enough to buy them for nothing).😆😆

After buying some seriously cheap games on eshop, I still don't like the clutter of games I'll never touch again, even if the clutter only exists on the redownload list.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Anti-Matter

Youtubers Life 2 and Cat Quest 1 & 2 are pretty good indie games.
If you like something different, pick these games.

Anti-Matter

Eel

@WoomyNNYes I think Toree 2 has the most variety. So, though I’d recommend them both as a single package, for someone strictly wanting only one, the second would be most “bang for your buck”.

Toree 3D has extra specially challenging levels. Toree 2 has a few extra Christmas levels that play slightly more like Mario 64, and an extra playable character.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Flippy

@Fizza Yay, more people wanting to try Shantae!

If you care about the order, then I recommend Risky's Revenge and then Pirate's Curse. If you can only get one more game besides Half-Genie Hero, then maybe Pirate's Curse.

Risky's Revenge is the direct prequel to Pirate's Curse and features one big, "open" map. It's also shorter and (according to some) easier than Pirate's Curse. Pirate's Curse is my personal favorite due to the level design and characters - it's more linear and features different islands/levels, though there's still a lot to explore. And, because of how different PC is from the rest, I find that playing RR first makes PC even more fun!

Pirate's Curse is considered to be the best of the series by many, but all Shantae games are good and you can't really go wrong with any of them. I think Half-Genie Hero is a great starting point, it's simple and fun. Seven Sirens is newcomer friendly too, though its map is huge (similar to RR) and you might get lost. So, there you go! Hope this helps! 😊

Currently playing:

Switch: Omori, ACNH
PC: Danganronpa V3

Switch Friend Code: SW-6454-7474-7799 | 3DS Friend Code: 2380-4129-0961

Fizza

@Flippy So Half Genie Hero would be a great one to play after either Risky's Revenge, Pirate's Curse or both? That's something I didn't even think about to be honest and, when I'm pretty sure I can get all 3 of those games for under €25, I might take you up on that order! Thanks for the help and I'll see whether I can scrounge up the money for it before that sale ends

Edited on by Fizza

Flippy

@Fizza I'd say either is perfectly fine! Tho the chronological order is GBC Shantae, Risky's Revenge, Pirate's Curse, Half-Genie Hero, 7 Sirens, and it'd be better if you could follow that order (the first one might be a bit tough to get into). You can also do 1/2 Genie Hero, then RR and PC. 1/2 Genie Hero is like a reboot, you can play it first to see whether or not you dig the series 😄

In short, I'd recommend RR - PC - 1/2 Genie, or 1/2 Genie - RR - PC, followed by 7 Sirens and the original Shantae.

Edited on by Flippy

Currently playing:

Fizza

@Flippy I think I'll go with 1/2 Genie Hero to get into the series since it's the most well-liked one of the modern era and then work my way back. Thank you for your suggestions though, they were a massive help!

Flippy

@Fizza My reason exactly. And you're very welcome, I'm glad it helped! Look forward to your thoughts on the games!

Currently playing:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic