Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,361 to 1,380 of 2,207

BruceCM

Eh, I hardly play FPS games, @WoomyNNYes .... So far, I'm playin Bioshock 1 & it certainly doesn't look like that, so I doubt it'd be any of those

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

DenDen

@NintendoByNature OT is big as well, only diffrent haha.
I don’t know if difficulty also matters to you?
OT is harde then DQ

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

NintendoByNature

@DenDen hmm, that might lean me towards DQ then haha. As I've gotten older, I'm trying to prolonge my life, not take years off but suffering from rage enducing games haha 🤣

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

Ok. I’m on the final boss of Paper Mario (a glorious game, I might add). When I’m done I’m going back to Trails of Cold Steel on PC and Trails of Cold Steel 3 on Switch. After that, I’m going back to Persona 4 Golden on PC and Catherine Full Body on Switch. Maybe even a second playthrough of Fire Emblem Three Houses on the Dimitri Blue Lions route. At least, tentatively.

But with Nintendo’s silence I’m getting antsy from hype withdrawal (I didn’t know it, but it seems I am as much of a hype junkie as anyone else, kind of like a drug addict who takes Percocets every day and doesn’t know they’re an addict until they try going without! That’s me without Switch news)

In light of this recent discovery, I’m jonesing for something new... something I haven’t played before. I just bought Utawarerumono Mask if Truth and Mask of Deception on Steam. And Tokyo Xanadu, since it’s from the Trails dev. But I am wondering what amazing games I may have missed (and it would probably need to be on Steam because I own pretty much everything on Switch, although, there’s a possibility I own a good recommended Switch game but haven’t played much, like Ni No Kuni and Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4, Okami HD, etc).

Is there any hope for me? Is there any recommendation someone has for some hidden gem that skated under Action Jax’s radar?

@WoomyNNYes
Immortal Redneck has gyro. Void Bastards does not. Just putting that out there 😁

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

WoomyNNYes

@JaxonH I'm ready to buy a ps5 if Nintendo doesn't haven't anything good this fall. ...that big white ps5 does look ugly though, haha. I'm not feeling it. Hoping the white panels can come off.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

JaxonH

@WoomyNNYes
Well, you might be better off buying a cheap PS4 or X1 (assuming you don’t have one, but I assume not if you’re talking about buying systems for more games) if you’re just looking for games to supplement, since new consoles usually only have a small handful the first year (some multiplats releasing but they’re also coming to current gen- there is full BC on Series X though, but not PS5, as it will be much more limited- only 100 games to start I’m hearing). I’m sure Switch will have some good stuff this fall though (Bravely Default 2, DOOM Eternal, Pokemon Snap, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, probably Mario Collection or 3D World, Atelier Ryza 2, etc). But Pokemon Snap aside, I’m not sure they’ll have any big new first party title besides ported games.

I can always fall back on PC, but even then, it’s not like I don’t have umpteen billion amazing Switch games to play. I have more amazing games to play on Switch than I could plow through in the next 3 years (like, Borderlands 2 and PreSequel- that’s 200 hours and one of the finest FPS ever made, with gyro, or Ni No Kuni, one of the best JRPGs ever, or Okami HD, Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4, all 3 Bioshocks, XCOM 2, Mario Rabbids, even Mario Rabbids I haven’t finished, multiple routes in Fire Emblem, countless Resident Evil games, Dragon’s Dogma, never got back to Assassins Creed Black Flag, etc etc). I’m just craving announcements.

But ya, I’m gonna try my hardest not to buy any PS5 or XSX this coming gen. If I can limit all my gaming to just Switch + PC, that would be ideal. Consolidation of library (can’t stand having games spread across 4 platforms), $20/yr covers online for both Switch games and the big multiplats (since Steam is free) so that saves money, gyro for every game (I’ll never play a game on PS/Xbox without gyro that needs it again- if I do it’ll be RPGs that don’t require aiming), better graphics and guaranteed 60fps for every non-Switch game, and not worrying about space since I have 10 terabytes SSD on PC- I can’t even imagine trying to make 825gb somehow work on a next gen console, and even if you can swap internal SSD, the pain of going through that process and downloading the operating system and reinstalling, and even then you’re still capped by the limit of that one single SSD... no thanks. I’m banking on all the 3rd party games eventually coming to Steam or Switch (or both). They might arrive a little later, but as long as they come, that’s good enough for me. Also banking on all of MS’s games coming to PC (Gears Tactics released on Steam day one but still hasn’t come to Xbox!) and at least some of Sony’s (Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding, Beyond Two Souls and Detroit Become Human leading the charge). Aside from a small handful of Sony exclusives, literally every other game in existence will be consolidated on Switch and PC.

I figure if 2 systems can account for 99% of games released, with better graphics, better frame rates, gyro, portability, with free or cheaper online... why buy a 3rd platform, without gyro or portability, with $60/yr online, just to gain that last 1%. Having said that, I will likely grab a PS5 toward the end of the next generation just to scoop up whatever small handhold of those 1% are left that haven’t been ported to PC/Switch. Won’t use online, and won’t buy any games that require aiming though. So no Horizon Zero Dawn 2 for me unless it comes to Steam. I refuse to play that game without Gyro, especially after having it for the first. Probably games like Demon Souls or Persona 6 are candidates I’d buy (assuming they don’t bring the next Persona to Steam at the very least, and I highly doubt they’ll keep it exclusive after seeing its success, and that of P4G on Steam).

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

WoomyNNYes

@JaxonH The Switch is my only current gen console. I've looked at ps4 prices, but they don't look like they've come down in price. I assume covid disruption is currently a driving factor.

Yeah, I don't understand why PlayStation games aren't utilizing gyro aiming, since the ps4 controllers have motion sensors. I've wondered if Nintendo somehow has patents on implementing that, but I dont see how that could be the issue.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

JaxonH

@WoomyNNYes
No patents. Would be like patenting buttons or analog sticks. The Days Gone devs put gyro in the game, but I recently heard its pretty horrible (like Crysis gyro on Switch). Infamous Second Son used it for your spray paint can. So they use it, but rarely. Why, I have no idea. Maybe its because their players dont care about it. But... of course they don't. Cant miss what you never had. 99% of PS gamers are blissfully ignorant about the fact the control scheme forced upon them has long since been surpassed with modern input methods that can legitimately close the gap with mouse precision, all without ever giving up the comfort of a controller.

If they had gyro in all their games and 3rd parties were doing gyro on PS like they do on Switch, I'd be much more likely to migrate back from PC... then again, there's still the paid online issue (about to do a fresh run of MH World on PC with my guy Logan, where its free forever- unlike when it launched and I had to pay another $60 just to play the game with my brother), there's also the limited SSD space issue, and the fact many AAA games will still likely run at 30fps (most can run 60fps at 4k on PC but even then super recent ones that cant quite hold 60, all you gotta do is bump it down to 1440p and you get 90fps immediately, and can't even tell the difference anyways, plus the new Nvidia DLSS 2.0 is a gargantuan breakthrough delivering visuals on par or better than 4k at a huge discount to power, meaning way higher framerates- once it was added to MH World, it framerate on 4K Ultra jumped from below 45-ish to 80+, meaning you can cap it at 60 and it never dips below). So, maybe I would still stick with PC as primary platform alongside Switch, but, I'd definitely preorder day one. I wouldn't be waiting, that's for sure.

Can grab Xbox super cheap though, like $200 (and I bet the X1X goes on sale when new consoles release, although if rumors are true, Xbox may be releasing a $200-300 1080p version of their next console that plays all next gen games and has full BC) and with almost complete BC on X1 with 360 and original Xbox theres tons of games to play. PC, PS and Xbox share the vast majority of their library. So for me, my Xbox basically collects dust (still good for Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon though, which never released on any other platform, even PC). But for you, not having any other supplementary platform, Xbox would be a huge boon. BC means not only getting all the awesome current gen games, but also killer 360 games like Portal, Portal 2, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy XIII trilogy, Mass Effect Trilogy, Dragon Age Trilogy, etc.

WoomyNNYes

@JaxonH Regarding backward compatibility, its funny, since my brother got a xbox one in 2015?, I've been watching xb1's BC list for one game, Simpsons Hit &Run (360), haha, and it never came ☹.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

Magician

If you live in Murica, Hand of Fate 2 has been marked down 67%, from $30 to $10. A good asking price for a great game. I know I might sound like a broken record, but this is arguably the best game developer Defiant Development had made. So I try to "go to bat" for it when possible.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

klingki

@Magician I wish the DLC would go on sale. It's not that expensive, but it's enough when you add it all up that I would only jump on it if it were a bit cheaper.

klingki

rockodoodle

Is Dead Cells playable for a casual gamer or does it get super frustrating? I’d say my gaming ability is about a 5 or a 6 on a scale of 1-10....

rockodoodle

Shadeon_Koopa

@rockodoodle Dead Cells does start off tricky at first (and you will expect to die several times before clearing your first run), but once you accustom to the controls, various weapon and item mechanics (there's a ton of stuff to unlock!) and enemy attack patterns, you'll eventually start to feel more competent as you experiment and find what weapons and stuff works best for your playstyle.

And since you'll be making constant progress by unlocking stuff, death never feels all that frustrating. The real challenge comes from the unlockable higher difficulties.

Playing: Picross S+ (Switch), Balatro (Steam)
Next: Logiart Grimoire (1.0 release, Steam; I backed this on Kickstarter!)

My Nintendo: *Lola* | Nintendo Network ID: Shadeon_Koopa

rockodoodle

Shadeon_Koopa wrote:

@rockodoodle Dead Cells does start off tricky at first (and you will expect to die several times before clearing your first run), but once you accustom to the controls, various weapon and item mechanics (there's a ton of stuff to unlock!) and enemy attack patterns, you'll eventually start to feel more competent as you experiment and find what weapons and stuff works best for your playstyle.

And since you'll be making constant progress by unlocking stuff, death never feels all that frustrating. The real challenge comes from the unlockable higher difficulties.

Thx. That might be part of my problem in general.... I get frustrated early and move on. I need to give these more time. This game seems to get such high praise over the years that I have been so tempted.

rockodoodle

MarioVillager92

I'm thinking of getting Streets of Rage 4 and/or Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled from the eShop sale. Maybe River City Girls, as well. For those of you who have played CTR on Switch, is it any good there? The only modern platforms I have are a Switch and a PC. (CTR still isn't on Steam, I just checked too.)

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

toiletduck

I'm going on holiday soon and I'm expecting quite some single player handheld time. I'm eyeing the Assassin's Creed games, with a favor for Rebel Collection so far. I haven't played an AC before (I know, I'm weird).

Question: how important is it to play these games in order of release? What are the possible benefits?

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

WoomyNNYes

@MarioLover92 CTR runs great on on the Switch. Looks great. I've seen streams of people playing CTR races with PS4 on youtube, and they have the same load screen times. The only frame hiccup I've seen on CTR is only when picking your kart/character for online races. I don't know if that happens on other platforms - it may.

Have you played CTR before? I was new to CTR, and ended up making a save file for easy difficulty, until I could beat the first boss in story mode. After that, I went back to my normal difficulty save file, played through & completed story mode there. (Note: everything still unlocks the same, if you play on easy.) If you can't win a race/time trial, you haven't found the shortcut. You might need youtube for a few tracks. Some shortcuts are REALLY hidden, until you know where they are.

Ah, @baller98, haha. I didnt get a notification. Did you add my tag as an edit, after you posted? I just learned this week, when you add a tags as an edit, notifications do not get sent to the those newly tagged people.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic