Forums

Topic: The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

Posts 141 to 160 of 164

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Yeah, and 4 months ago they thought the vaccines prevented infection/spread. Now...not so much. What will we know in 4 months? It's too new, and people are too quick to believe what they want to believe. Yes, today, for today's strain it's relatively effective (though 5% is way way waaaaaaaay too high a risk for me to trust it. I do risk like Jim Ryan does risk. Which is why I don't run a video game company, and neither should he. ) And that's my point about future variants. The new pitri dish is new and we don't really know where it's going. We don't know how fast vaccine breaking variants will mutate over time we can't know. Thus, waiting to find out. I'm slightly stunned the world went right into trusting it as a cure-all without caution. But I'm more stunned that you're in that camp, personally, really. I mean there's a lot of people walking around right now who's parents trusted "98% effective birth control" I don't trust statistics. Even under the best case the risk is still too high IMO. And reality may not the be the best case. Not trusting a thing until I see how it really plays out over the long term. So far, every time I've been cynical and they're singing the optimistic praises, I end up being right. I see the current vaccines as a temporary stop-gap, not a solution at all. Really, they're not even disagreeing with that anymore (while a few months ago they did...) Let's see what else I can be unfortunately right about that the "experts" seem to be blind to because they want it to be so (and not collapse markets.)

I'm not going anywhere until I can go back to licking random people in crowds like it's supposed to be, darnit! (Insert Girahim gif here)

Oh, I agree with you that consumers should not be expected to subsidize the exploding budgets. Either through direct sale, or subsidy through lower budget games covering them. It's artists run amuck with what THEY want to create and the amount of money it takes them to create it, then foisting it on the public. They're looking for patrons for their "art", not consumers for their product. But that doesn't mean that $60 is a magic standard for all games big and small as long as they reach a specific threshold. I absolutely love AA. I would never pay $60 for it. It's just not worth that kind of money no matter how much I love it. Nor does it need to cost that kind of money to be a financially successful franchise. While TLoU does with what they choose to spend on it.

"big budget not being hither end" - I mean, a Lexus is just a tarted up Toyota, but people pay a ton more money for them far more than the actual added features and materials, premium or otherwise. It's not magically a Porche. I see big budget games as similar to that.

And I do believe the latest Transformers movie should cost more than the latest Scorcese film. If its inflated excess were exposed to the market, it would be rejected for the overpriced rubbish it is If it costs so much to make it has to cost too much to sell, then it would simply sell less and not made again. But it sells so well as is, that Scorcese then becomes the tiny niche you pay premium for while the large audience subsidizes the overbudget trash. But if movies worked like games, the Transformers movie WOULD cost more. And then the Scorcese film would be increased in price to match it to subsidize its costs. I don't want to pay $70 for AA to pay for ResE. Make the ResE people pay for the premium and leave AA to it's natural cost.

Meanwhile Jim Ryan has explicitly said that we should pay more for longer games than short content..... Not that I agree with a single thing that leaks out of his sub-nasal sphincter but...that's the industry right there.... Notice he doesn't say we should pay less for Returnal and Ratchet....hmmmmm....

NEStalgia

JaxonH

That could have posed a problem if buying individually, such as when the first originally released in Japan. Thankfully, this collection has them both so you get the full experience. That's nice.

Making small bits of progress each day. It's not a game I feel like binging on for 4 hrs at a crack. In fact, barring a few exceptions, most of my gaming is in smaller doses at this stage in my life. Probably why I favor Switch Lite where it's easy in, easy out, no commitment to turning on the TV and grabbing the headset and all that jazz.

It's Irrisistibly. Insatiably. Indisputably. Incredible!

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

JaxonH wrote:

It's Irrisistibly. Insatiably. Indisputably. Incredible!

Oh good. I hope you enjoy Soseki's annoying exclamations, because you're going to be seeing a LOT of them.

Interesting to note that the character is based on a real person, Natsume Sōseki, who was a novelist that had studied in Great Britain. They even got the details of his living arrangements down.

From wikipedia:

"In 1900, the Japanese government sent Sōseki to study in Great Britain as "Japan's first Japanese English literary scholar". He visited Cambridge and stayed a night there, but gave up the idea of studying at the university because he could not afford it on his government scholarship. He studied instead at University College London (UCL). He had a miserable time in London, spending most of his days indoors buried in books, and his friends feared that he might be losing his mind."

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

VoidofLight

I'm really having fun so far with TGAA. The first trial is already so good, and it feels like they're just going to end up getting better and better as they go.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

PSVR_lover

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles On Amazon is $39.99, which to me is a fair price for two games.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

VoidofLight

Herlock Sholmes is one of the best characters in this game. I love how his name actually fits, since he feels like a Sherlock Holmes wannabe, instead of actually Sherlock Holmes, with the dude always getting his deductions wrong, forcing you to have to double check them, and correct them.

Ralizah

@VoidofLight I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. Late game cases are, indeed, massively better than the first two (well, cases 3 and 5, anyway; I actually prefer case 1 to case 4).

While I've not played the second game in the collection yet, pretty much everybody who has played it in the past tells me it's a big step up from the first game in every way as well.

Enjoy!

And yeah, I'm also a fan of this interpretation of the great detective. Having him be a sort of loveable buffoon is more interesting than the way the character is normally portrayed. I just... ah... feel bad for all the lives he must have ruined with his "deductions" before Ryunosuke met him.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

VoidofLight

@Ralizah So many people the man must've put in jail wrongly, all because his logic was flawed... despite his great detective work otherwise.

Skitrules

This game has been fantastic so far and am really happy it got released here. Only on Case 3 rn but loving the current cast of characters so far!

Now for something completely different!
Still got it memorized?
My Skitloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7499-3336

VoidofLight

Just got to the 3rd trial. The ending of trial 2 caught me off-guard honestly.

kkslider5552000

I'm upset that I've not enjoyed using touch screen thus far. It took me a second to remember, oh yeah, my stylus isn't gonna actually work here. I'm undecided if its that, or the size of the Switch itself (joycons attached in particular) or if its because I never got into mobile games, but this is not working for me thus far and I might just switch to docked. That's a real shame if the Switch ended my enjoyment of touch screen gaming like this.

And yeah this is probably the first time I've even used the touch screen. The only other games I even knew had touch controls I already own on another touch controlled gaming system.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

VoidofLight

I never used the touch controls. I play primarily in handheld mode, but just use the normal controls.

GameOtaku

I’m not buying into Sholmes being a buffoon. I’m still under the impression it’s all a front that he is feigning incompetence. Much like Columbo.

GameOtaku

MajinSoul

Snaplocket wrote:

I've just beat the collection. Overall, GAA2 is tied with Dual Destinies as the best game in the series after the original trilogy while GAA1 is a decent game but feels a bit underwhelming as it's mostly set-up for the second half of the story.

Pretty much my thoughts aswell. GAA2 is now among my favourites while GAA1 was a bit lackluster (I only enjoyed cases 3 and 5). Though I try to not judge it too harshly because the reason I enjoyed the 2nd game so much was because the first game set it up (and the 2nd game fixes all the cases I didn't like in GAA1). I'm definitely glad we got both games at once instead of having to wait for the 2nd game to come out.

MajinSoul

Nintendo Network ID: UtoKid | Twitter:

VoidofLight

@GameOtaku maybe it’s because I never read the original Holme’s stories, but I really like his interpretation here. Especially at the point I’m at in the game, where more is being revealed about his character.

kkslider5552000

I've started the 4th case of GAA1. My main thoughts beyond the usual "Ace Attorney good" thus far:

-This is easily my favorite AA from an aesthetic perspective (or at least my favorite of the 3DS games). The way they use 3D space has been great at points. Also, all new characters so its not like AA 5 and 6 where they try to bring back the original characters but refuse to actually change them to make them work in the new style.
-It is also my favorite gimmick/s of the 3DS era. Between the Herlock segments in case 2 and the jury in case 3, the new ideas they add to the formula are all pretty cool.
-If they're gonna take AA outside of its usual setting, I much prefer the historical, real setting over the ones they made up for AA6 and the Layton crossover.
-Only issue I have is that it feels like way too much of the first 3 cases were partially tutorials, and none have felt complete quite like cases in previous games. Also, I'm sick of case 1 being too long, it needs to be shorter than the others imo. I swear case 1 feels longer every game.

VoidofLight

To me, GAA 1 and 2 are just two parts of one big game. The final trial in the first game feels more like a mid-game trial, especially with the other trials being longer in 2, and the story ramping up increasingly. I’m on the fourth chapter of 2, and the story itself is really great. I wasn’t expecting Gregson to be murdered, and having to defend Van Zieks.

VoidofLight

Honestly, now that I'm at the final chapter, I can say now that I really wish this game never had to end. The characters are great, and it makes me sad that they'll probably never return outside of these two entries in the series. The story itself is also amazing as well, especially how it's building up. I really like this game's version of Sherlock Holmes in particular, given how it takes his normal character and just flips him on his head. I really feel like this is probably my favorite switch release of all time.

kkslider5552000

I got to the one part of the game that made me realize "oh they're trying to push 3D because it was on 3DS." I guess that's a clever way to do it. Though on Switch, it was just kinda awkward, because I can't tell the difference because this is not a system with 3D.

VoidofLight

@kkslider5552000 Yeah. That moment is weird. I guess you can cross your eyes to see the differences, but even then it's kind of hard to do so. Good thing that's probably the only trial which uses a gimmick like that.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic