Forums

Topic: Stardew Valley

Posts 281 to 300 of 325

Tasuki

@Eel Lol. I think I at least get it on my tablet after how much you praised it, but console that's another question. Kinda leaning more towards Xbox Series X.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Eel

Hah yeah, once I got the iOS version, it completely replaced the Switch one in my heart. It's kind of like, easier to find an excuse to bring my iPod with me and play a day or two of the game on the go.

I also like how the save files are easy to move, and cross compatible (between Android, iOS and Steam). So even though it doesn't really have cloud saving, I can easily move the save file between both devices (iPad-iPod).

It would be cool if the console versions had that too. Though I guess that's asking the impossible.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tasuki

@Eel Yeah that's the main reason I would skip the Switch is because I will be getting it on my tablet. My tablet has become my main portable gaming machine since I got it while the Switch I mainly use on the tv.

My Backlog

komodo182

Going to try co op hopefully this weekend with my wife. She doesn't seem that interested though, so I don't think she will like it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6361-0099-3716

rallydefault

Man, I don't know how you can play a game like this on a tablet. I liked using my tablet for Hearthstone; the cards were nice and big and easy to "click" on and move around with touch (and there wasn't much pressure to do so quickly), but games like this that have lots of menus and more action would just annoy me, especially in the mines. To each his own, though.

rallydefault

Eel

It works just fine.

There’s many control schemes you can try to find something that suits you, and the only action in this game, you need to actively go find it yourself. Everything else is pretty relaxed.

The only time it can be a bit too overwhelming for the regular touch controls would be when there’s too many enemies in the mines, since the default controls lock you into swiping your sword until the enemies are dead, but you can prepare for that by changing to other control scheme that gives you more control of your sword beforehand.... Or, you know, using a physical controller, that’s an option too.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

komodo182

The wife is enjoying the game so far with me.

rallydefault

@Eel
Eh, not for me. I've tried so many games with touch controls on mobile/tablet. Like I said, I enjoyed Hearthstone (and other card games), and RPGs are usually not too bad. But something like this that would be constant touching, nah. And if I'm gonna connect a controller, I'd rather just be playing on a console.

Update is soooooo awesome, by the way!

rallydefault

Eel

That's fine, it's not a sales pitch, you asked how could we play it.

It's a bit of a different mindset from how you would play a simple card game. The default control scheme here is actually somewhat like how a card game would work, since it's all tapping. But the control schemes that work better for combat simply require you to hold the phone/tablet like you would any other handheld gaming system.

As I said though, it's perfectly fine, you don't need to play anything you don't want to play. The game is great on any format.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Tasuki

Been playing this with my son for a few days now and the only problem is how overwhelming this game is at first. It took me all of spring to figure out what I wanted to do and what to concentrate on. Honestly they should have maybe opened up things one at a time. Like maybe one week have a farming tutorial then the next week a mining one then a fishing one etc. etc. Maybe having a story would help with that.

Also just like Harvest Moon the clock goes too fast. That's one thing that bugs me with these games you need to sit there and plan out your day and do it that way exactly one slip up and you waste half the day, and it's not even something big either. Seriously it takes me two hours to walk from my farm into town???

Other then those nitpicks it's not a bad game at all and is quite enjoyable.

My Backlog

komodo182

@Tasuki I do wish the clock was slower

rallydefault

@Tasuki
It is huge and easy to get overwhelmed, and I am not a fan of that. Sometimes there is much to be said for a more streamlined approach, even in these very open games. That's why I really like the earlier Harvest Moons. They kind of hold your hands for the first few days and there's really not much you can do with your starting money anyway. You just have to forage and plant your first batch of turnips or whatever lol

The thing that I love and hate about Stardew is the crafting system. There's just so much, and it's like almost any item can be turned into some other item, so I always feel like I'm not getting the most out of anything I grow unless I turn it into something else with some sort of machine that I needed to craft, etc.

rallydefault

Eel

Well the game doesn't exactly throw everything at you at once, the mine doesn't open for a few weeks, and you need to actively go to the beach to unlock fishing.

It's really something the player should try to manage themselves. The game will let you overwhelm yourself if you want to do everything as fast as possible, but I'd say that's more of an option for those that want that kind of experience, than something the average player needs to attempt.

For movement, you can get ways to make it faster. Like cooking foods that increase your speed, crafting warping totems, unlocking the minecart system, or buying a horse. Faster characters get more things done, though I personally don't find the days to be too short anyway.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Tasuki

I am just about to wrap up my first year in Stardew Valley, currently I am about half way through Winter. Right now I am still trying to get a plan down but I am still having fun. Mostly I have been making alot of money of Mayonnaise since I have 3 chickens so each day I am able to make a few jars of mayonnaise. I am thinking of once spring hits planting some trees and using them as income by either tapping them or selling their fruit. I am not to big on the crops since you have to water them everyday and doing so takes up so much time.

But overall still enjoying this game.

My Backlog

Eel

Crops are definitely the best money maker. You just need to upgrade your watering can, and eventually once you have iridium sprinklers, then watering stops being a factor.

I would recommend upgrading the can before you go back to growing crops, to avoid the tedium. I also recommend doing the jumino bundles to unlock free items and features.

Also, try to check the traveling trader that stops by the forest every Friday and Sunday, since she can sell rare items you may need for bundles, and rare seeds.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Tasuki

@Eel I didn't think upgrading the watering can would make a difference. I do have some sprinklers that I can craft as well maybe I will try those.

I have been doing the bundles in the community center as well

My Backlog

Eel

@Tasuki the watering can upgrades work in the same way as the hoe upgrades, it goes from having effect on a single square, to three, to five, to nine, and finally to eighteen squares at once.

You just need to hold the button to charge it up before releasing.

The sprinklers, in case you want to plan your fields for when you get them, follow this pattern: the basic one only waters the four squares directly next to it, the second tier waters the entire 3 by 3 area around it (so 8 squares), and finally the iridium sprinklers water a 5 by 5 area around them (so, 24 squares in total).

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic