Forums

Topic: Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Posts 101 to 110 of 110

Pokester99

I actually don't like open world platformers. I prefer linear ones like Crash Bandicoot. So Im hoping this is linear too

Pokester99

NinChocolate

3D Kirby is really like the final nail in the Nintendo handheld coffin. The last of the active 2D franchises, one that primarily thrived on handhelds, finally going to 3D. The Nintendo handheld experience is now much more like TV console gaming, in scope. In general, I think it’s really too bad that bite-sized gaming from Nintendo has been left to mobile, or maybe was left to mobile as Pikmin AR is all that’s been announced lately, interestingly. But for the Kirby franchise in particular, I think this will be a great thing. With Kirby’s many copy abilities that are almost always attack based, unlike many of Mario’s transformations that channel into puzzle and stage unlocking, Kirby could be even better suited to the 2D to 3D change than Mario (at their base level), in theory of course.

To me, the trailer showed a game world that could be called more “roomy-world” than ‘open-world’. I think that’s good for Kirby given his floating, shotgun-style nature and ranged attack abilities. No doubt there will be tighter platforming beyond the trailer, maybe even some sidescrolling section callbacks, knowing HAL Labs. I’m a big fan of the Mario 3D land/world style, and I think Kirby is an even better fit for it than Mario (in theory).

Edited on by NinChocolate

NinChocolate

Pokester99

@MarioBrickLayer worst of both worlds. It leans more on open world but it doesn't quite get the point. It's literally giant open empty levels. Neither linear nor open.

Pokester99

Snaplocket

@NinChocolate I wouldn't say that, isn't there a critically acclaimed high-selling 2D Metroid released literally weeks ago?

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

NinChocolate

@Snaplocket I’m not saying there aren’t anymore 2D games or will be in the future from any of Nintendo’s franchises, be it DK, Yoshi, Mario or Metroid. But the bulk of Kirby games were made for handheld with the series starting on game boy, and had yet to get a full 3D game till now. It was definitely a holdout, similar to the Pokémon series appearing on console, and with major roots in the handheld space. To me it further signifies the end of a handheld-focused era of gaming, not the end of 2D gaming.

NinChocolate

Snaplocket

@NinChocolate Well the Switch is technically a handheld and the Steam Deck is going to be a thing so I wouldn't really rule out handheld focused gaming. I mean Nintendo even made a handheld only version of the Switch so obviously they didn't rule out that market.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

JaxonH

It's just evolving, that's all.

Many games will evolve to be bigger experiences not previously possible on handheld. These games were only smaller in scope due to hardware limitations. Lift the limitations and the games are free to become so much more.

But I'd argue Switch is pretty evenly split between console and handheld experiences.

PLAYING
NS: Life Is Strange True Colors, SMTV, Danganronpa
3DS:
Steam: Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR IN 2022
NS: MH Rise Sunbreak, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, Mario Rabbids, Zelda BotW 2

Jesus is Lord.

Bolt_Strike

I don't think this game spells the end for 2D Kirby. They could alternate, they've consistently released 2 Kirby games per console.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

NinChocolate

There will certainly be more 2D Kirby’s as long as HAL’s making them. But it’s great the series can now incorporate more world building with a larger scope as this game breaks the sidescrolling tradition. It will probably expand the relevance of the Kirby franchise as 3D gaming is just the standard for young players these days. Young players that game on home consoles and not (dedicated) handhelds because they all have mobile phones in their pocket.

NinChocolate

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic