Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 3,561 to 3,580 of 5,014

-Green-

Maybe they'll tune up the matchmaking a bit. Hopefully some cool stuff.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Skid

@Dev Well, there is potential for a new "hair" style at least if you go by the picture from the tweet at least. We'll see though.

Switch
Username: Skid
Friend Code: SW-7539-3214-1413

NaviAndMii

Wow! Looks like they're adding a substantial amount of content on Friday - I'm seeing a new game mode,
new stages, new hair-styles, a photo mode, new weapons - and that's just on first glance! ..check out the teaser below!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

-Green-

The Level cap is being raised to 99, you can now swap gear without having to leave the lobby and a new Salmon Run Map also.

Skid

@NaviAndMii I literally "called" the hair right before this posted! Haha! I was in the process of posting the video. Glad a look before I did though.

2 new stages and 2 returning ones is what it looked like. 2 new weapons plus the hydra (finally!). New hair styles and a cool new game mode inspired by collecting and randomly American football.

Edit:
So, by watching the new mode you collecting golden oysters/clams and once you hit a certain number it turns into an American football that you can actually pass to teammates, using the sub throw button I assume, and then you throw it into a case that I assume is at the opponents sides, but I'll check again to see if it is on your own side. Man am I digging the new song!

Edited on by Skid

Switch

-Green-

Actually the Level system has a new layer on it. If you reach 99, you can ask Judd to reset it to *1 and go back to *99. I wonder how far it goes now.

NaviAndMii

@-Green- Niiiice! ..just picking my jaw up off the floor as I type this - what a pleasant surprise that was!

@NapalmPsalm Yeah, I saw - you some kind of psychic squid or something? Haha! ..and yeah, the new game mode looks suitably bizarre (footballs?!) - looking forward to giving it a go! Should be fun by the looks of things!

EDIT: Ahhh, so the NL guys just provided a handy little break down on the front page - he's what to expect in a bit more detail (and when to expect it):

Update on 24th November

• MakoMart stage (enters rotation on Saturday)
  • A new Salmon Run stage, Salmonid Smokeyard (available from Friday)
  • 140 extra pieces of gear
  • New music from "the punk-flavoured Bottom Feeders (pictured) and classically-trained avant-garde-style Ink Theory"
  • New hair styles
  • Scan Splatoon amiibo to take in-game pictures
  • Max level raised to 99
  • Swap gear between battles within the online lobbies

Second update in mid-December

• Clam Blitz battle mode - "Competing Inklings are tasked with collecting clams scattered around the stage. After one is picked up, the clam weirdly follows you. Your objective is to throw the clam into the basket near your opponent’s base. The first team to score 100 points wins! The baskets are protected by a barrier, which must be destroyed first. After collecting 10 clams, you’ll earn a Power Clam. These super-powered clams are the key to breaking the barrier, so strategy will definitely be involved in deciding which clams are used to destroy the barrier and which are used to earn points. Not to mention the extra-satisfying opportunity to steal your opponents’ clams by splatting them."
  • New stage - Shellendorf Institute
  • Two more returning stages - Walleye Warehouse and Arowana Mall

...not sure I like that the photo mode is locked behind an amiibo too much (although, after 190+ hours, I should probably consider adding an Inkling to my collection!) - but the rest more than softens that blow! ..HUGE amount of TOTALLY FRESH content! Amazing news!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

Skid

Elementary my dear @NaviAndMii. The inkling clearly had hair products it the cart!

Edit:
This biggest thing I think is the swapping gear in the lobby; however, it doesn't help too much in my opinion if I can't change my weapon too since that is kinda how I choose which gear I use.

Edited on by Skid

Switch

Zyrac

@NaviAndMii The amiibo photo mode is already a thing; this is just an update adding more options to it.

@NapalmPsalm I would assume that "gear" also includes weapons. Speaking of this, the Nintendo UK page says:

Players who want to change gear between battles in Regular Battle, Ranked Battle and Splatfest Battle (Solo) won’t have to exit to the lobby anymore! After downloading the update, gear can be swapped out without leaving the match room, making it quicker to get back to splatting. For Regular Battle, this also means you can play the next battle with the same players.

Now, normally you do stay with the same players in Ranked, right? So it sounds like changing gear in that mode will move you to another room. No counterpicking allowed, kids.

Zyrac

Twitter:

Skid

@Zyrac Technically you would consider you weapon gear, but anytime I have seen anything "official" for this game referring to gear it has always meant clothes. I'll be ecstatic if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming the opposite so I can be pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed.

Yeah, that UK page make it sounds that way, and I feel helps your case with weapons being gear. Still not getting my hopes up. Nope nope nope. I'll be in the back woods with crappy internet during this update. So once you all find out if it includes weapons or not please post here. I gotta know!

Switch

NaviAndMii

Zyrac wrote:

@NaviAndMii The amiibo photo mode is already a thing; this is just an update adding more options to it.

Oh right! My bad - wasn't aware of that!

Skid

Untitled
Untitled

Just want to point out the band with the new song and a shiny tangela as a member.

Switch

Qwertyninty

It’s good That they are updating for free. I personally only play this from time to time if I have nothing else to play or need a break. I won’t give them my money for the inevitable splatoon 3. Personally I don’t like the lack of any type of multiplayer, the hand holding in regards that I can’t pick the layout I want, and the fact that I have to sit through the squids talking and showing stages ever time I turn on the game.

Edited on by Qwertyninty

Qwertyninty

Skid

@Qwertyninty Ummm, lack of multiplayer? I assume you mean the lack of local multiplayer on one console which I understand. Otherwise there is local play across multiple consoles and obviously online multiplayer.

I going to go ahead and say the predetermined load-outs isn't the game doing hand holding, but is actually for balancing reasons. I can see some pretty broken load-outs being created if they did allow you to make your own. I shudder at the thought of the luna blaster (or any blaster really) getting the combination of burst bombs and ink storm at the same time. That would be killer in ranked. Though it would be fun to see what the meta would gravitate to.

Meh, the off the hook portion isn't bad since it only plays when you turn on the game or when salmon run starts/ends. I can only see this being a problem if you keep turning the game off an on multiple times in a day, which doesn't make sense to me personally. If I play more the one game in a day I'm not bouncing around between the two, but that is my personal playing habits.

Switch

LzWinky

Being able to switch gear in the lobby is the best news of all. Ok, and the new ranked mode and maps

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Qwertyninty

@NapalmPsalm yes local multiplayer my bad. Salmon run is the perfect game mode to sit down with my wife and play. Also I get what you are saying but there should be some sort of customization for weapon load outs. I usually always end up like the main weapons but hating the sub or special. I just don’t like it. I should be able to customize a little to my liking.

Edited on by Qwertyninty

Qwertyninty

Skid

@Qwertyninty Yeah, Salmon Run with a friend would be great. I understand wanting to be able to edit a load-out, it would be cool being able to change things. Bamboozler with splatbombs and ink storm, I'd love it. But I'm willing to forgo that for balance.
-
I just realized ninja squid could be either useless in the new game mode or or decent, depending on how you want to play it. If you're collecting clams, or accidentally collect them they give your position away. But if you absolutely avoid the clams you can swim around them and use them as bait, which might make your teammates upset for not play the objective.

So hydra, squeezer, and a new brella is coming soon I guess. I didn't see anything about a release window on those. But being able to shoot while the brella is opened, when its not a bug, is nice. Looked like a pretty narrow shot though.

Edit: Just noticed the glooga duelies in the video now that I'm watching it for the fifth time but really focusing on the details this time.

Edited on by Skid

Switch

Maxz

I've now decided the best piece of advice in the entire game (from a mental perspective anyway) is, "as much as possible, try and push the dire incompetence of your teammates out of your mind, and instead focus on what you're actually in control of".

I just had a massive winning streak, punctured by a massive losing streak, which was then clawed back after I stopped spending most of the game picking flaws in my team mates' play, and instead just got on with what I was supposed to be doing. It's still good to have some awareness of their positioning and weaponry to inform your own choices as you cover the map/flank an opponent/lure an unsuspecting opponent into their range, but ultimately they're them and you're you. And no amount of wishing them around the map is going to change that. Far more effective to get out of their heads and into your own.

Anyway, questionable sports psychology bollocks aside, the new update looks amazing. I was wondering when we'd get the big mid-game update, and here we are! New music, nrw clothes, new hair and... NEW MODE! I had a sneaking suspicion there would be a forth one eventually. I'll need to see (and ideally play) more of it before I get a really good idea of how it feels, but it looks... intriguing. Much more itty-bitty than the other modes, which usually just have a single object defining their objective, rather than many fragments to be totted up.

Anyway Splatoon 2 is fantastic woo!

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

shani

Wow, this huge upcoming update (and the two following ones) completely caught me by surprise!
Was this previosly announced, did I miss something?

Makes me love this game even more (if that's even possible)!
More gear (awesome, I got almost every existing gear already), more stages, more levels (finally!), more hairstyles (I want the Mohawk badly!), a new mode - that's really more than one could ask for!
Swapping gear in the lobby is also great, of course.

NaviAndMii wrote:

...not sure I like that the photo mode is locked behind an amiibo too much

Really? I have all three original Amiibos and I couldn't care less about that photo mode. ^^ If I could, I'd happily gift that mode to you.

Qwertyninty wrote:

Personally I don’t like the lack of any type of multiplayer, the hand holding in regards that I can’t pick the layout I want, and the fact that I have to sit through the squids talking and showing stages ever time I turn on the game.

If you don't close the game, you don't have to watch the news. And it's not handholding, it's balancing. It's there for a reason. And how does this multiplayer-centric game lack multiplayer? ^^ If you're referring to local, well there's Salmon Run. If you're referring to local on one device, well that wouldn't work very well. Splatoon1 had that (with two separate screens) and it was really boring. It would be even worse with a splitscreen. This just isn't a game for local multiplayer on one device.

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

meleebrawler

@NapalmPsalm I think the ''reflect'' brella actually sprays automatically if hit while open. Seems rather frail, though, better at 1v1s.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic