Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Posts 861 to 880 of 914

Cynas

@rallydefault Nope, no piece of heart. There's a few minigames that don't give a piece of heart for clearing them with the "goal" score, which is kind of strange. That's the perfect place to put heart pieces.

Edited on by Cynas

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Eel

I would rather have the piece of heart on the bamboo game than the archery one…

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

blaisedinsd

People like to say this game has padding, I enjoy all the gameplay ideas they threw in there and I enjoyed all of them while being happy they extended the gameplay experience. Yes I enjoyed tadtones and silent realms and I wasn’t even mad I had to go back To sky view temple for some water, always wonder if you can grab the water first time in there and avoid that but never tried.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

SW-7087-5868-6390

Solaine

@blaisedinsd Never had a problem with tadtones and silent realms, but going back to the same Dungeon was a bit meh for me. The Skyworld was not my thing either, but overall this is just a solid Zelda Experience and i love the game for what it is

"Without love, it cannot be seen" ~Umineko no naku koro ni

javierferrerm

@blaisedinsd you can't grab the water in the first go. That is probably one of the reasons it felt exciting rather than meh returning to Skyview Temple - during my first playthrough, I noticed that area and that I couldn't access it, and jotted it down in order to return later. When I was told to do so, it just clicked.

javierferrerm

rallydefault

@blaisedinsd
People like to say it because it's true to them and it's a totally valid feeling to have after playing through this game.

People who say it without playing the game? Yea, mock them all you want. But it's not up to you to decide what's true or not about my feelings for the game. And one of those feelings is that certain parts are padded and way more repetitive than other 3D Zelda games, and it's a shame because it's otherwise a solid 3D Zelda for sure.

The tadtones part for me was padding. The volcano prison scenario was padding. Going back for the water was padding. "One more trial, I promise for realz this time" was padding. In my opinion.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

NintendoByNature

@rallydefault as much as I do love this game( nearly finished), I'm in agreement with you. I'd be lying if I said that last couple sections didn't feel a little padded.

Separately, I was also hoping for another area or two instead of revisiting old areas.

Having said all that, I'd probably still rank this somewhere around 3rd or 4th on my 3d zelda rankings. Ahead of MM and TP, maybe tied with WW. OoT and botw are by far my favorites though.

NintendoByNature

rallydefault

@NintendoByNature
Yea, I mean, we need to be realistic here: the Zelda franchise has a history of revisiting areas, and there's a big difference between "padding" and "repetition." The way I feel about SS is that its repetition lacks meaningful variation and therefore starts to feel like padding after the 3rd time you're forced to trot through an area.

And yea, the ending especially has this feeling of, "Oh - one more thing, I promise! Just one more time, I promise! This is really the last time you're gonna do this thing, I promise!" It starts to feel annoying.

For all of these reasons, you can imagine I despised Majora's Mask, and I did. It's probably my least favorite Zelda game, period.

rallydefault

NintendoByNature

@rallydefault I'm with ya. I just fought the imprisoned for the 3rd time( maybe 4th ?), collecting the tadthings in flooded faron, and another section of silent realm which should hopefully be the last time.

The first half of the games amazing, but when you're going back to the same area doing roughly the same stuff, it definitely starts to wear on you. It does feel like they could've shortened the game a tad without some of these repeat sections.

I just had a long playthrough last night and I think I'm about to head to the final dungeon. Which, is my favorite part of any zelda game, but more-so in SS. Honestly some of the very best dungeons in this game, so it definitely has that going for it and that's why I do love it. Repetitive-ness and padding are the only gripes I have about the game, and it's really only in the second half. Story, gameplay, and graphics are all amazing otherwise.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

rallydefault

@NintendoByNature
Yea, the dungeons in this game are FANTASTIC. I don't dislike any of them, and that's saying something. I LOVED Cistern and the Sand Ship. There are always those dungeons that I just hate playing through in other Zeldas (Ocarina water temple, Awakening eagle tower - ugh), but this one I don't think that will be the case if I do play through it again.

And I do really like Skyloft and its characters. I enjoyed getting the friendship crystals or whatever they're called. I enjoyed flying around the sky (although it is kind of empty, especially compared to WW's ocean).

Lots to like here, not all bad by any means.

rallydefault

Eel

I do wish the fire sanctuary had a unique boss battle though. It feels kinda anticlimactic.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

rallydefault

Well, just beat it!

Hero Mode... maybe one day lol

I feel like I got most things, but I don't really have the itch to 100%. I was missing one heart and could have upgraded a few things still. I think I only had a few more of the friendship crystals to get, too.

The finale scenes were cool, though the final boss was just kind of timing and no mechanics? Or maybe I just brute forced it, I dunno lol

Super glad I played it as a huge Zelda fan, though. It's really cool from the lore perspective (as much as Zelda lore can have any solidity).

rallydefault

kkslider5552000

rallydefault wrote:

The finale scenes were cool, though the final boss was just kind of timing and no mechanics? Or maybe I just brute forced it, I dunno lol

There is one interesting mechanic but I didn't realize it was a thing until after the fact.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Eel

Yeah, you can go full protagonist and steal his thunder.

Bloop.

My dead channel.

rallydefault

@Eel @kkslider5552000
Ah, ok. Yea... I had a feeling there was probably something else I could have done, but I just kept hacking away lol

rallydefault

Themagusx1

@damien33ad Exactly and I finally beat the game Sunday night and man that final boss battle is awesome.

Themagusx1

Eel

@rallydefault @kkslider5552000 and it’s kinda funny because, throughout the entire game, the skyward strike was only really a puzzle solving tool. I don’t think a lot of people remember you can use it as a ranged attack, to the point where the one time you actually had to use it in combat, Fi had to come in and literally tell you (and you even get a tutorial area first).

Then there’s the final fight and Fi is like “Oh no, you can’t use the skyward strike here, whatever shall we do?!”

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

rallydefault

@Eel
Exactly! Most of the 30+ hours of the game train you to view the skyward strike as a move to activate certain things. The only time I used it as an attack was for the tentacles on the sand ship.

Maybe it would have occurred to me to use it more if I was doing the motion controls, I don't know. I can see how the original Wii controller was perhaps a bit more of a reminder that you're holding a "sword," so maybe it was more of a natural thought on the Wii.

rallydefault

kkslider5552000

Actually, I never thought until right now that Skyward Sword basically went "hey what if we had the sword beam but way more awkward".

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

NintendoByNature

I rolled the credits a little bit ago. The final battle was ok I guess. I liked the last few scenes more than I did the boss fight honestly. It was a solid outing overall.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic