Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Posts 301 to 320 of 942

Dezzy

Yeah that's what I meant by UI images.

I didn't see anything in-game though. I've never played Sunshine in an emulator though to compare it. I have with Galaxy though, and that looks pretty much identical.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy Textures were the same, but since the game is rendered in a higher resolution, the textures are rendered in a higher resolution by default. But they didn't update the actual textures.

Octane

skywake

Having spent a little bit of time playing around with some Wii games on Dolphin, with games I own (don't pirate games kids, even old ones), it's definitely the textures that make it obvious it's not a new game. Particularly HUD elements, text and things like 2D backdrops.

As an example look at this screenie of Mario Kart Wii rendered at 1440p with no AA. The site I uploaded to scaled it down to 700p so effectively this is 720p with SSAA. Some parts look very sharp like the edges of objects and the map overlay which I assume is some sort of vector graphic. Even the 3D model of Bowser, low res as it is, is passable given the resolution it's being rendered at.

Untitled

But things like the Bowser player icon and the textures on Bowser's kart are pretty average. Admittedly in this case the text is relatively good but even then it's not particularly crisp. But the real standout are those 2D mushrooms in the background, those are pretty jarring even in motion

So yeah, texture improvements should really be a given for "HD Remakes" of Wii games. Without it I'm not sure what the point of buying the game again would be. Although I say this as someone who jumps on all the HD remakes Nintendo does and was going to pick up Skyward Sword HD regardless.....

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jedgamesguy

I still can't believe how good the game looks in sixty frames per second. You'd be forgiven for thinking it was a new Zelda game in that regard. Retrospectively I'd understand why Breath of the Wild wasn't 60FPS due to the technical quality of the game, but man, SS looks super.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Socar

It just further proves that its not a cash grab effort as what the others have said. Clearly the effort for the 3D all stars and this are made.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

jedgamesguy

@Socar More this and less All-Stars. There were zero gameplay changes, or anything regarding quality of life, in 3D All-Stars. This honestly could have been done by one person in a week, if they were given this as a university assignment or something. The process behind getting these games was undoubtedly so easy that an experienced programmer hired for this purpose at Nintendo could have done this in one sitting;

Get the emulator, make sure it runs on Switch well, replace some HUD textures and bam that's Mario 64. Get the GameCube emulator, remap the button controls for FLUDD, inver the camera because you're silly, and make it widescreen, moving the HUD as needed, and that's Sunshine done. And as for Mario Galaxy... well map the pointer to the right Joy-Con, interpolate everything and use an AI to upgrade the textures, and that's literally it. Then add a menu, slap together a title logo and sequence, and add the music. DONE.

I played all these games on Switch for the first time with this collection and the games were great. The collection itself was just lazy and I can't stress both points enough.

Not that Skyward Sword is better but it had thought put in. They thought about the sword controls. We'll find out more as we go but it just looks better.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Dezzy

Socar wrote:

It just further proves that its not a cash grab effort as what the others have said. Clearly the effort for the 3D all stars and this are made.

Making a 30fps game run at 60fps, in the majority of cases (or a large minority), is just changing 1 line of code (assuming you have the source code)
Really shouldn't be giving them too much credit for that, even though it's massively appreciated.

Edited on by Dezzy

Socar

@TheJGG Uhh..All Stars also had control changes to work with the Switch screen and the motion controls as well.

So its not like All-Stars was a lazy attempt.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Balta666

Dezzy wrote:

Socar wrote:

Making a 30fps game run at 60fps, in the majority of cases (or a large minority), is just changing 1 line of code (assuming you have the source code)
Really shouldn't be giving them too much credit for that, even though it's massively appreciated.

It depends on the way it has been coded as sometimes the speed of the game is tied to the FPS and if you double the FPS it is like fastfowarding the gameplay.

Rambler

@Balta666
Sounds good for the flying sections!!

On another note, I hope they rebalance the potions - if you take all the full-power potions at once, you are essentially invincible.

Rambler

jedgamesguy

@Balta666 Yeah, true. Since there's less concern about loading I expect they'll either shrink the Sky, add more islands, or speed up the Loftwings. Same applies to sections like the Lanayru Sand Sea, which was honestly pretty fun for me. On foot exploration could potentially be sped up, but of course there's the chance it could compromise the game puzzles. It feels the same from trailers though, so it's not the end of the world.

If the game's score wasn't orchestrated, I would have expected a remastered soundtrack, but luckily the score was as good at it could have been from the get-go. I just wonder what new content we'll get, because so much had been accounted for in the base game, like massive wallets, unbreakable shields and faster Skyward Strikes... what does everyone else think?

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

jump

I've ended up pre-ordering it as I saw it for £35. Being able to play it while lying down on my bed now better be worth the double dip!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Dezzy

@jump

Where is it 35?

jedgamesguy

Tiny gripe but I don’t like how easily the hearts in the remaster blend into each other. At least give them a black backdrop or outline.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

jump

@Dezzy I found it on ebay. The seller has a good rep and it's within the protection period so at that price it's a good deal.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

PhatDoody

I personally loved Skyward Sword. One of my favorite Zelda games is Minish Cap and comparing the two, Skyward Sword really does feel like a 3D Translation of the structure in Minish Cap... so perhaps that's why I enjoyed it so much!

I also think Skyward Sword handles the narrative and character development better than any other Zelda game. Groose with dat Zuko arc lol

PhatDoody

Dezzy

PhatDoody wrote:

Skyward Sword really does feel like a 3D Translation of the structure in Minish Cap...

How so? I don't even know what you mean by that.

Zeldafan79

I really loved skyward sword! The music was a big deal. Remember how Nintendo kept reminding you that it was the first fully orchestrated soundtrack? They did the same thing with the mario galaxy games. I also enjoyed riding around on the loftwings. It was a nice change from the usual horses. I wonder how that'll be controlled when using the traditional setup. You used to have to swing the wii remote up and down like a bird flapping it's wings but not too fast or you couldn't get enough hang time.

Anybody remember seeing that first major trailer and people were thinking Link and zelda were about to kiss or something? There's a shot that almost looked like it.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

mr_somewhere

@dionysos283 I think he's mostly right. Skyward Sword I think is a great game overall but does fall short of the other 3-D entries. I do find him overly negative though. Usually he's on point but the constant negativity is grating so I don't tend to watch his videos very often.

I'm surprised there's so much negativity about the opening of the game too, yes it's a little dull but I remember it passing by very quickly, it doesn't drag as much as Twilight Princess although this could just be how I remember it.

Switch ID: SW-5759-3188-0977

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic