Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Posts 281 to 300 of 942

Eel

I dunno. We won’t really know for sure until the game is leaked a week before launch.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Grumblevolcano

I think closer to release, Nintendo ends up announcing a Loftwing amiibo and that adds some exclusive content similar to the Wolf Link amiibo's usage in Twilight Princess HD. Maybe also you get to use one in BotW 2 like how using Wolf Link amiibo in BotW summons him.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jump

@Grumblevolcano I can't see them doing that, Ninty seems to have grown out of hiding content behind an Amiibo now compared to the Wii U days.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Dezzy

@Eel

Wow, you won't believe this but you're actually right. I decided to do some homegrown investigative journalism. They HAVE improved the textures.

I assumed the apparent difference between the trailers was just the much better texture filtering on the Switch. Then I realized there's a very easy way to check. I got hold of the original art assets that were ripped from the Wii game disc and compared them on PC to the new HD footage.

The image on the top is the original Zelda model from the Wii, loaded on my PC with a modern graphics card (i.e even better texture filtering than the Switch). The one on the bottom is from the new trailer. Look specifically at the yellow pattern around the neckline. That's not texture filtering. That is undeniably a higher resolution texture.

Untitled

There are some similar details on Link that are higher res. But this is certainly good news, because it might mean that they plan on improving the rest of the textures between now and July. That has slightly increased my optimism for it!

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Buizel

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were holding back extra info from that direct. This is the same direct that they flashed us a 2-second card outlining Age of Calamity's DLC. That said, I'm not holding my breath,

To be honest, I'm perfectly fine if all they give us is QoL features. An extra dungeon would be quite nice. I remember the sky being pretty dull, so unless they add something pretty substantial to it, I'm not really interested in any new content there. Something like OoT's Master Quest would be cool, but I'm not sure how feasible that would be with SS's dungeon design (especially the backtracking). Maybe a mirror mode to mix things up a bit, as well as add some accessibility for the motion controls for lefties?

@Eel Doesn't Skyward Sword already have a boss rush mode? I remember spending quite a bit of time on it...the Skyward Sword bosses are fantastic!

At least 2'8".

jedgamesguy

@Dezzy Good investigation, that's changed my view on this whole remaster.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Dezzy

@TheJGG

Thanks. There are only a few places where they seem to have done that so far though. So I guess the question is whether they're going to do more or not. It certainly seems fairly likely, given how easy it is to use AI to upscale textures nowadays. They could do that more or less for free.

Octane

Dezzy wrote:

Octane wrote:

@skywake Wii Motion Plus didn't actually use the sensor bar (which was ironically just a light source), or the IR camera on the Wii Remote. It relied entirely on the gyro in the Plus adapter, or the Remote Plus. You could tape off the IR camera and hide the sensor bar and the games would still play the same.

Hmm, is this right?

Does that mean if you use the Motion Plus then you don't need the sensor bar attached at all? Is that backwards compatible (meaning does it work for regular wiimote games)?

I might have to go and experiment.

@Dezzy I don't know. I believe the sensor bar is used for the Wii menu regardless of what controller you are using. So it could very well give an error message when you unplug it, even if it's not used in game.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

I'll test it at some point. You can actually skip the Wii menu stage of things on a modded Wii U. A "Forwarder" takes you from the Wii U menu straight into the game itself.
Nintendo actually did that themselves with their eshop digital Wii games on the Wii U.

@Bunkerneath

A lot cheaper elsewhere:
https://www.base.com/buy/product/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-...

https://www.thegamecollection.net/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward...

Edited on by Dezzy

FroZtedFlake

@Eel there actually is a boss rush mode, it's how you get the Hylian shield and it's in the ancient robot lanayru place, you gotta talk to the dragon dude after you heal him.

Edit: sorry I didn't see someone already said that.

Edited on by FroZtedFlake

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

toiletduck

jump wrote:

@Grumblevolcano I can't see them doing that, Ninty seems to have grown out of hiding content behind an Amiibo now compared to the Wii U days.

Thanks god. Buying dolls to unlock extra content would really put me off...

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

FroZtedFlake

@toiletduck A lot of people already have quite a bit of "the dolls" and find it fun to collect them, I'm pretty sure you're in the minority. Although I agree I don't want to HAVE to use Amiibo to unlock big content, hopefully, it's just like item drops or somn.

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4

toiletduck

@FroZtedFlakerZz sure. I wasn't trying to ventilate everyone's opinion, just my own I'm happy for everyone who's happy with the content locked behind Amiibo, it's just not for me. I'd probably buy the knock-off NFC chips from aliexpress or something if I'd really want to access the content.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

FroZtedFlake

@toiletduck Ah, ok, sorry I misinterpreted that, it's all good. (I actually have one of those knock-off chips for ACAF, little did I know the game would suck.)

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4

Eel

@timleon @FroZtedFlakerZz ah it's been a long while so I didn't remember that.

@Dezzy ah cool, thanks for taking the time to compare them! I also noticed several background elements have nicer edges (in the textures, not the models) and definition by looking at the gamexplain comparison, but yeah, those closeups with Zelda and the trinket shop guy are the easiest ones to tell because of the noticeable pixels on their clothes.

Other good places to compare them are, in the scene with Zelda, the loftwing carvings behind her look considerably better on switch, the training school, with the details on the walls and designs on the cutting logs, and the grass edges on the roads in Faron Woods.

The ground and rock textures in general seem to be a bit of a mixed bag though.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Dezzy

@Eel

Yeah the shopkeeper dude is clearly improved as well. I'm less sure about the environment stuff because there is a water-color style depth-of-field effect in the original which seems to have been reduced in this version (those kinds of effects are often tied into the screen resolution, so they don't scale very well).
I hope the fact that they've done fairly peripheral characters like the shopkeeper suggests that it will end up being all of the textures though, and maybe it will look better next time we see it. Cos a lot of those dirt and grass textures looked the same to me.

Socar

@Dezzy

Wasn't it obvious the game was going to be in HD? Obviously they would have improved the textures I mean it would be stupid not to put HD graphics in it.

I mean..even the 3D All stars compilation has made effort to making HD visuals..geez.

Edited on by Socar

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Dezzy

@Socar

The term "HD" really just refers to screen resolution, not textures (some people use the term for textures but it doesn't really mean anything except 'better looking than before', as the quality of a texture can't be defined by a set pixel count and are dependent on how big they are when displayed in-game).

I don't know if 3D All Stars actually did update any of the textures in Sunshine or Galaxy (I'm 90% sure they didn't in Galaxy, but I'm less sure about Sunshine). I think the only things they changed in those games were the UI images. I think they did change some texture in Mario 64 though. But that still looks terrible either way so I don't know if it was worth it in that case!

Edited on by Dezzy

Eel

Several textures did get upgraded in 3D All Stars. Mostly hud elements and 2D elements. From what I remember.

Bloop.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic