Forums

Topic: Shin Megami Tensei V Thread

Posts 441 to 460 of 544

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg Ah. The bosses are the only ones where I got wiped in a single turn really. Most of the other fights so far with standard enemies go by pretty smooth.. and I save after every few battles or every few items I get, all so that I don't end up losing them if I wipe. I did wipe to the snake woman before the end of the desert, but I ended up doing a good job on the second time, after coming up with a proper strategy.

Currently Playing: SoulCalibur VI, Professor Layton and the curious village, SMT V.

Ralizah

@Pizzamorg Bosses aren't wars of attrition at all with the right party build. I mean, they have sizeable health pools, but they go down quickly enough with proper preparation. That's a better way to characterize Persona bosses, where they have no real weaknesses to exploit and you're basically smacking each-others over and over until someone dies.

@VoidofLight Well, casual is going to be breezier than harder difficulties (when I played on Hard difficulty, random mobs frequently wiped my party if they got the jump on me), and this is also one of the more forgiving games in the series in terms of the sheer amount of freedom you have to customize your demons and mc. And also with stuff like the dampeners blocking party-wide attacks.

But yeah, SMT has never fully deserved its reputation as some insanely difficult series. You just can't powerlevel your way to victory. Party builds matter more than "big number = better," which means it requires more thought than your average JRPG. Also, older games didn't really do much with difficulty settings. You typically had "challenging, but manageable" on normal and then "kick your teeth in" on hard.

Although the way attack damage multipliers scale to levels feels more aggressive here than in older games as well, which makes being underleveled more of a problem than it was in previous games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing
Spyro the Dragon remake (PS4)

VoidofLight

@Snaplocket You sure you're using the mechanics to your advantage, with stronger spells on your demons?

Currently Playing: SoulCalibur VI, Professor Layton and the curious village, SMT V.

Pizzamorg

Snaplocket wrote:

@Ralizah I'd say the damage sponge enemies are a very real issue.

Even when the bosses weren't that difficult and I was on the top of my game, they still took forever to kill and put the drain on my MP restoring items.

Yeah, I dunno what to say, I very much had this issue also. I guess some people just have different expectations about boss health pools so they don’t feel so large, but I thought the health pools just made every boss battle a real slog.

I do also think that speaks of a sort of wider expectation response to the combat system in general. Getting back into Pokemon again and seeing how much criticism people make over the fairly simple Rock Paper Scissors core while disregarding the complexity layered over that is often quite frustrating. But it feels even more frustrating when taken in the context of a game like SMT V, which is widely praised for it’s combat, but uses effectively a Pokemon up to eleven system. Basically, the only way to win, is to absolutely lean into and cheese the absolute life out of the super effective moves. When people say “are you engaging with the mechanics”, that is exactly what they mean. It is just so odd to me that Pokemon gets so much criticism, given the system is just as lopsided there, but also isn’t basically a required “strategy” to clear the game. Every SMT fight is just work out what the enemy is weak to - probably die on the first attempt - go back to add in an attack of that type into your arsenal/party and change your resistances, then go back and spam that one move over and over and hope you have enough MP to see your way through. Yet it is Pokemon which is criticised for having an overly simplistic battle system.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: Wrestling Empire. Monster Hunter GU. RingFit Adventure. Loop Hero. Skyward Sword HD.
PC games currently playing: Monster Hunter Rise. Expeditions Rome. Wolcen.

CactusMan

If you just have 10 different demons and a bunch of gems ready. Use a Spyglass on the first turn, then swap demons to exploit the weaknesses, turn on magatsuhi skills, you can take away a quarter of the health of a boss in a turn. Guard at the right time and one should be mostly fine. Sometimes you die from being hit three times in a row or your weakness. But ah, it´s apocalyptic Tokyo there has got to be some kind of tread.
I like the dynamic battle system, it keeps you alert and thinking, but to each their own.

Bamm!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6657-1971-4787

BlackenedHalo

Has 1.0.2 been released already? Still no update for me ://

BlackenedHalo

CactusMan

@BlackenedHalo No update here. Atlus might have dropped the world wide release schedule after the launch of the game.

Bamm!

CactusMan

@Snaplocket To reduce the drain of MP restoring items you could fuse demons so they posses passive skills like ´´Restore´´ and ´´Great Mana Spring´´.

Edited on by CactusMan

Bamm!

Kimyonaakuma

I think I found the game a little difficult at the start, but now I've adjusted to any quirks that SMT V has. Each SMT definitely has different strategies that work better than others.
You can always carry a huge amount of demons early on and stock up on Spyglasses. That takes away a lot of the difficulty.

-no update here either, but I'm not urgently needing it. I'm not far enough into it where I know where or what that dungeon is

Kimyonaakuma

Ralizah

@Pizzamorg I've never heard anyone criticize Pokemon's core combat mechanics. The damage multipliers, exp share easily overleveling your party, not really needing to use anything outside of a couple of moves across a few Pokemon over the course of the entire game to wipe your opponents from the map? Sure. The combat itself is fun, and largely the reason why it has such an engaged multiplayer scene.

Anyway, SMT is more about considering hitting weaknesses, considering resistances (and, usually, changing up your demons to that effect), buffing, debuffing, guarding/using dampeners to avoid super moves, etc. It's not super complex or anything, but it is fair and tactical enough to be engaging, and, at least on higher difficulties, running in with a sub-optimal moveset usually means getting destroyed. You can squeeze through a lot of battles just having everyone attack with magic and hoping your MP reserves hold out, but you can also synergize the moves between demons to have a well-oiled machine.

So I wouldn't say one series has terrible combat and the other doesn't. But, in one game, you can run through pretty much the entire single-player campaign with one or two Pokemon and nearly one-shot most enemies the entire time. You can probably get to that level of brokenness in SMT, but it requires a lot of end-game grinding and customizing to achieve (or using Safety difficult, I guess). Pokemon is just broken by default.

Modern Persona is closing in on that level of brokenness with the way it pushes super-attacks every battle and doesn't punish the player when the enemy nulls/drains/repels an element, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing
Spyro the Dragon remake (PS4)

Spiders

Anyone in North America get the update yet? I’m still at 1.01

Spiders

BlackenedHalo

What do you think about the new Potential skill system? I think it is much more developed than the one in 4.

BlackenedHalo

BlackenedHalo

I have just realized, that the Essence system is very good because it basically removes the need for grinding. You do not have to grind anymore because you are at a lower level than the level of the demon having skills are effective against the boss you are not able to handle at the moment. Essences remove it as now you can fuse your demons with essences and get such skills that otherwise you would have to grind for.

BlackenedHalo

Scooby-Doo

Was the annoying bit in the Castle the first bit on the 3rd floor? I didn't find that hard.

Translation is an interesting subject, no?

BlackenedHalo

@Scooby-Doo absolutely nothing, I just guess certain fans of SMT are not good at platformers

BlackenedHalo

CactusMan

That 1.02 update has dropped. Those FOV options are a relieve, it was a tad to much zoomed in on Nahobino. I´m not really near the Demon King's Castle on my second play trough.

Bamm!

Octane_st1m

@BlackenedHalo I just realized how good the essence system is when I got to the first few bosses on the last area. Died on 1st/2nd try on a couple ones from being underleveled but fusion and essences got me through without grinding.

Octane_st1m

SwitchForce

update has come...wheww...now to update and play again. Spent so many hours running around. They should give us the option to fly in the game.

SwitchForce

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic