Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 2,141 to 2,160 of 4,146

GrailUK

@Mgalens Well, I'm 1080 here and already resenting the day gaming makes me have to upgrade my TV, It's something that's not important to me as I very rarely watch it.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

skywake

@SwitchForce
Yes I brought up the comparison. I explained what the comparison was for in detail. Basically Samsung sells a phone that matches or exceeds the Switch OLED in every aspect for less therefore Nintendo should be able to keep the OLED price point for a new and improved SKU. I'm not sure what your disagreement is TBH

@Mgalens
4K is pretty much the standard for TVs now. Hard to buy one without it. But I do think it's importance is overblown a bit. It's going to be a marketing bullet point but not much more

HDR, VRR, more consistent performance. These things matter more. If we also get what's effectively good AA that just so happens to be presented as more pixels? Well that's just a bonus

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

@Kermit1Pineapple If you can't see someone's posts you've been put on their ignore list (unless you put them on your ignore list).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Mgalens

Ah thankyou for the replies.
Im not sure how big of an effect 4k has on games VS HD or if its a case of diminishing returns but i remember during the early 360/ps3 era before i had a HDTV that some games had text and whatnot that was hard to read on a standard def TV, in general going from SD to HD was a night and day experience.

For a next gen switch if it exists (as in next gen is a switch model) im hoping that the push is more towards performance over resolution (or give the choice like with some ps5/xsx games seem to) since i feel like performance often takes the biggest hit on switch.

Mgalens

Magician

@Mgalens

If Nintendo intend to keep the hybrid portable nature of the Switch, performance will take a backseat to battery life on a full charge and making the console affordable. Most of the enthusiasts around here (myself included) wouldn't think twice about spending $400 for a premium version of the Switch. But I think Nintendo will aim to keep the price below that. 720p in handheld, 4k while docked, both running at 30fps is really the best we could expect.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

GrailUK

@Magician They struck gold with the price point. If they are wanting to introduce a new console, I would have thought they know what they want to sell it at...but damn if the demand for Switch simply refuses any sort of price cut. It's literally bonkers and I'm glad I'm not the CEO.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Mgalens

@Magician
I feel like first party games as a whole will still manage to get good performance, for quite a while it has been common for games developed by first parties to target 60fps outside of some of the more ambitious open games like Xenoblade 3 and botw (games like pokemon and Age of calamity would be outliers since they were developed by third parties iirc)

i am curious to see what they can get out of newer mobile chips while still keeping the price/form factor/battery/heat within reasonable levels, though tbh if it means something that could play more demanding "last gen" (ps4 and xbox one) ports at a stable 30 then i would be more than happy.

though maybe we will get more games with "performance" and "visual" modes or even have the choice be a base feature of the system.

though yeah, i was also one of those who would have been happy with the switch getting its own version of the Ps4pro/Xboxonex/new3ds however nowadays i would much rather the switch get a backwards compatible successor keeping the "hybrid" format.

Mgalens

KevinP

All I'd hope for with a new Switch, is more internal storage, 2k HD in handheld and 4K docked, and slightly redesigned Joycons that don't develop drift, as well as full backwards compatibility with the prior Switch model, so that the transition to a new console is seamless with playing my current games. I hope they keep the exact same game cartridges with the understanding that newer games could technically be used on the old switch but will eventually outpace it's ability to run them. So as a consumer you'd understand that at some point you'd need to upgrade if you wanted to play the newer releases. Much like we do with phones and apps these days.

KevinP

HotGoomba

@KevinP We don't need 2K for a handheld console. 1080p is probably the best one of the job.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

skywake

@kaisu @KevinP
I've said it a few times here but I think "backwards compatibility" isn't an all or nothing thing, there are degrees. PCs are at one extreme where compatibility lingers on to an almost comical degree. Smartphones are similar but live in a closed ecosystem. Eventually Apple drops support for older IOS versions and they can't access the store, eventually developers are forced to patch their software or their apps get removed

Then at the other extreme we have the "traditional" console transitions. Think SNES -> N64 -> GC at the most extreme end of this. Clean slate every time, entirely new hardware, entirely new games. At the less extreme there's something like GC -> Wii -> Wii U. Is there backwards compatibility? Well sure. But a Wii game played on the Wii U is still a Wii game, it's effectively running on a Wii still

But between those two extremes? Well there's a lot of space. For example PS4 -> PS4 Pro, GB -> GBC, 3DS -> New 3DS. Is there an option to explicitly make one game only compatible on the new hardware? Yes. Do older games run better on the new hardware? Generally, yes. Did they still make games for the older hardware? Yes. I expect it'll be somewhat like this just..... maybe a tad harsher with a few more games being "Switch Pro" only. Or possibly restricted to home console mode at 720p on the current hardware

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

KevinP

@MarioBrickLayer Weird, because someone else said no reason to go above 1080p and you said 720p but you both speak like you know everything. So now I'm confused.

The thing is, 2k wouldn't be an impossible standard to achieve and batteries are the next big innovation in tech in my opinion. If everyone in 2010 said: "Oh there's no reason to improve these smart phone screens any more because our eyes can't discern a higher pixel density anyway and so there's no point.", we would've missed out on a lot of awesome innovation. For that reason, I don't see why we should cap out on progress.

KevinP

MarioBrickLayer

@KevinP I didn't claim to know everything...I posted a link to an article claiming your eyes can't tell the difference on that size of screen...

KevinP wrote:

batteries are the next big innovation in tech in my opinion.

This is a bit of a silly statement, as with most things in tech, development is about incremental gains over time. Even if a major breakthrough was made, for it to end up in the "Switch Pro" it would have had to have been made by now, unless we're waiting until 2030.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/05/eternally-five-years-...

The concept is fairly simple...give the hardware less to do and the battery will last longer...

KevinP wrote:

I don't see why we should cap out on progress.

You're forgetting a major consideration - the user experience. A 2K screen does little to improve the user experience, if anything it could make it worse. And no one here is pushing back on innovation, we want 60FPS, DLSS, HDR, more storage, longer battery life, voice chat etc etc, all of these things require Nintendo to innovate...

Edited on by MarioBrickLayer

MarioBrickLayer

Magician

KevinP wrote:

The thing is, 2k wouldn't be an impossible standard to achieve...

Oh stop being cute. 2k = 1080p. But as others have said opting for a 2k display for portable play would be less energy efficient than using a 720p display. If Nintendo gave you a 2k display for your Switch in portable mode would you be content with a battery life of less than two hours?

Come on folks, we can't have it all.

Untitled

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

KevinP

@Magician I don't think most people on here are wanting it all. Afterall, I'm the one who also feels that the current Switch is awesome as it is, while others have to argue nonstop about how underpowered it is and how bad it is (even though it continues to dominate in sales). So it's not like I'm saying I need it all. What I'm saying, is I HOPE for improvements in those areas. And as stated before, I think that battery life is the next big innovation in tech. I think we've just about reached the peak of screen technology for the time being, while battery innovation is still lagging behind. However they achieve that, whether it be optimization of hardware and software doesn't matter to me.

The good news for everyone on here though, is that Nintendo will do whatever they want and nothing any of us say on here will make a bit of difference. Again, I was just saying what I personally hoped would exist on the next console. I'm not making predictions or demands and I also am not going to act like I'm an insider who knows everything there is to know about these things.

KevinP

KevinP

@MarioBrickLayer There's obviously a balance. You can give the hardware nothing to do and enjoy 7 days of battery life on a single charge, or you can push all the limits and enjoy 30 minutes of gaming. What you're missing in my comment is that you think I was saying what I expect and anticipate, where what I actually was saying is that those are the things that I'd hope to see and like to see and that it would make me happy. However, I'm also plenty happy with the current OLED that I have, and feel that this thing is far better than a lot of spec warriors give it credit for.

Saying that I think battery innovation is the next big thing in tech isn't silly at all, it's my opinion and I understand it's a long term innovation. I remember about a decade ago when we'd see pretty huge leaps with smartphones and screen technology, water resistance, fingerprint scanning, face unlock, camera capability, and other things. But I don't personally believe that is still the case. I think we're at a point now where all improvements will be incremental.

The problem with discussion boards is everyone thinks it's a private part measuring contest and no matter what anyone says, everyone has to rip it apart and act like they know everything so that they can lean back with a pleasant sigh while they're congratulated by all the no one around them. That was what I meant when I said you guys talk like you know everything. You and 3 or 4 others immediately have to go into this mode that you're right and everyone else is wrong, yet you guys even made contradictory statements in your own posts which made me laugh. In the end, we're just shooting the breeze here about a topic that doesn't even matter.

KevinP

MarioBrickLayer

@KevinP From my perspective, this is one of the better forums I have been on over the years, there are quite a few people who post good stuff and it's not overly negative or nasty. My concern is if the discussion in this thread builds and builds to a point where everyone is posting wilder and wilder stuff and speculation gets out of hand, the chances of a bitter backlash after the eventual disappointing launch increase. Which could make this a less enjoyable place to come. At the end of the day you're right, this topic is not very important!

With regard to batteries, Nintendo is a conservative company in many ways, if some lab had a big breakthrough in the next few months, the time it would take for it to get to mass market and then be adopted enough for Nintendo to feel comfortable means it will not happen in the next hardware iteration. Also, the link I posted states that a battery today holds 1.5 times as much energy as the same battery would have done 10 years ago, so those continuous incremental gains are being made, but maybe it's less obvious as the flashy adverts for new phones etc focus on things like screens.

MarioBrickLayer

HotGoomba

Magician wrote:

KevinP wrote:

The thing is, 2k wouldn't be an impossible standard to achieve...

Oh stop being cute. 2k = 1080p. But as others have said opting for a 2k display for portable play would be less energy efficient than using a 720p display. If Nintendo gave you a 2k display for your Switch in portable mode would you be content with a battery life of less than two hours?

Come on folks, we can't have it all.

Untitled

I'm confused now, do you guys mean 1440p or 1080p when you say "2K"?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic