Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 2,161 to 2,180 of 2,288

KevinP

@MarioBrickLayer Weird, because someone else said no reason to go above 1080p and you said 720p but you both speak like you know everything. So now I'm confused.

The thing is, 2k wouldn't be an impossible standard to achieve and batteries are the next big innovation in tech in my opinion. If everyone in 2010 said: "Oh there's no reason to improve these smart phone screens any more because our eyes can't discern a higher pixel density anyway and so there's no point.", we would've missed out on a lot of awesome innovation. For that reason, I don't see why we should cap out on progress.

KevinP

MarioBrickLayer

@KevinP I didn't claim to know everything...I posted a link to an article claiming your eyes can't tell the difference on that size of screen...

KevinP wrote:

batteries are the next big innovation in tech in my opinion.

This is a bit of a silly statement, as with most things in tech, development is about incremental gains over time. Even if a major breakthrough was made, for it to end up in the "Switch Pro" it would have had to have been made by now, unless we're waiting until 2030.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/05/eternally-five-years-...

The concept is fairly simple...give the hardware less to do and the battery will last longer...

KevinP wrote:

I don't see why we should cap out on progress.

You're forgetting a major consideration - the user experience. A 2K screen does little to improve the user experience, if anything it could make it worse. And no one here is pushing back on innovation, we want 60FPS, DLSS, HDR, more storage, longer battery life, voice chat etc etc, all of these things require Nintendo to innovate...

Edited on by MarioBrickLayer

MarioBrickLayer

Magician

KevinP wrote:

The thing is, 2k wouldn't be an impossible standard to achieve...

Oh stop being cute. 2k = 1080p. But as others have said opting for a 2k display for portable play would be less energy efficient than using a 720p display. If Nintendo gave you a 2k display for your Switch in portable mode would you be content with a battery life of less than two hours?

Come on folks, we can't have it all.

Untitled

Switch Physical Collection - 1,082 games (as of January 30th, 2023)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

KevinP

@Magician I don't think most people on here are wanting it all. Afterall, I'm the one who also feels that the current Switch is awesome as it is, while others have to argue nonstop about how underpowered it is and how bad it is (even though it continues to dominate in sales). So it's not like I'm saying I need it all. What I'm saying, is I HOPE for improvements in those areas. And as stated before, I think that battery life is the next big innovation in tech. I think we've just about reached the peak of screen technology for the time being, while battery innovation is still lagging behind. However they achieve that, whether it be optimization of hardware and software doesn't matter to me.

The good news for everyone on here though, is that Nintendo will do whatever they want and nothing any of us say on here will make a bit of difference. Again, I was just saying what I personally hoped would exist on the next console. I'm not making predictions or demands and I also am not going to act like I'm an insider who knows everything there is to know about these things.

KevinP

KevinP

@MarioBrickLayer There's obviously a balance. You can give the hardware nothing to do and enjoy 7 days of battery life on a single charge, or you can push all the limits and enjoy 30 minutes of gaming. What you're missing in my comment is that you think I was saying what I expect and anticipate, where what I actually was saying is that those are the things that I'd hope to see and like to see and that it would make me happy. However, I'm also plenty happy with the current OLED that I have, and feel that this thing is far better than a lot of spec warriors give it credit for.

Saying that I think battery innovation is the next big thing in tech isn't silly at all, it's my opinion and I understand it's a long term innovation. I remember about a decade ago when we'd see pretty huge leaps with smartphones and screen technology, water resistance, fingerprint scanning, face unlock, camera capability, and other things. But I don't personally believe that is still the case. I think we're at a point now where all improvements will be incremental.

The problem with discussion boards is everyone thinks it's a private part measuring contest and no matter what anyone says, everyone has to rip it apart and act like they know everything so that they can lean back with a pleasant sigh while they're congratulated by all the no one around them. That was what I meant when I said you guys talk like you know everything. You and 3 or 4 others immediately have to go into this mode that you're right and everyone else is wrong, yet you guys even made contradictory statements in your own posts which made me laugh. In the end, we're just shooting the breeze here about a topic that doesn't even matter.

KevinP

MarioBrickLayer

@KevinP From my perspective, this is one of the better forums I have been on over the years, there are quite a few people who post good stuff and it's not overly negative or nasty. My concern is if the discussion in this thread builds and builds to a point where everyone is posting wilder and wilder stuff and speculation gets out of hand, the chances of a bitter backlash after the eventual disappointing launch increase. Which could make this a less enjoyable place to come. At the end of the day you're right, this topic is not very important!

With regard to batteries, Nintendo is a conservative company in many ways, if some lab had a big breakthrough in the next few months, the time it would take for it to get to mass market and then be adopted enough for Nintendo to feel comfortable means it will not happen in the next hardware iteration. Also, the link I posted states that a battery today holds 1.5 times as much energy as the same battery would have done 10 years ago, so those continuous incremental gains are being made, but maybe it's less obvious as the flashy adverts for new phones etc focus on things like screens.

MarioBrickLayer

HotGoomba

Magician wrote:

KevinP wrote:

The thing is, 2k wouldn't be an impossible standard to achieve...

Oh stop being cute. 2k = 1080p. But as others have said opting for a 2k display for portable play would be less energy efficient than using a 720p display. If Nintendo gave you a 2k display for your Switch in portable mode would you be content with a battery life of less than two hours?

Come on folks, we can't have it all.

Untitled

I'm confused now, do you guys mean 1440p or 1080p when you say "2K"?

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

Fizza

@Magician @KevinP @HotGoomba I wasn't aware '2K' was even a thing. I've always just called it 'HD' personally.

Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
The Owl House is so good you guys omg
Currently performing a summoning circle for a 2nd Ace Attorney Trilogy
Currently Playing: Mega Man 3

GrailUK

@Fizza I feel like my TV just got a free upgrade hahaha!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

HotGoomba

Fizza wrote:

@Magician @KevinP @HotGoomba I wasn't aware '2K' was even a thing. I've always just called it 'HD' personally.

HD is technically 720p, Full HD is 1080p, 1440p is somewhere in the middle, and 4K is 2160p.

I don't know what the hell a 2K is. When did Take-Two make displays?

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

kaisu

2k is more of a "unofficial" thing. It can be 2048×1080, 1440p, QHD or anyting in the 2000/2999 range.

Not a native english speaker

skywake

KevinP wrote:

The thing is, 2k wouldn't be an impossible standard to achieve and batteries are the next big innovation in tech in my opinion. If everyone in 2010 said: "Oh there's no reason to improve these smart phone screens any more because our eyes can't discern a higher pixel density anyway and so there's no point.", we would've missed out on a lot of awesome innovation. For that reason, I don't see why we should cap out on progress.

Except super high resolution phone screens ARE pointless and nothing but a waste of battery life. At 4-8" at the distance you usually hold your phone? 1080p is fine. A gaming console you usually hold it further away and you're not really consuming text. So for that you can comfortably do 720p

These phones with 4K, 1440p etc screens? Nothing but a **** measuring contest. Apple barely goes beyond 1080p, there's a reason for that

There is innovation to be had here sure and I know i sound like a broken record here.... but it's in refresh rates, HDR, VRR, faster response times, higher peak brightness etc. These things aren't as sexy as going beyond 720p sure. But they actually improve the gaming experience, which is the entire point

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: King Gizz, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

KevinP

skywake wrote:

KevinP wrote:

The thing is, 2k wouldn't be an impossible standard to achieve and batteries are the next big innovation in tech in my opinion. If everyone in 2010 said: "Oh there's no reason to improve these smart phone screens any more because our eyes can't discern a higher pixel density anyway and so there's no point.", we would've missed out on a lot of awesome innovation. For that reason, I don't see why we should cap out on progress.

Except super high resolution phone screens ARE pointless and nothing but a waste of battery life. At 4-8" at the distance you usually hold your phone? 1080p is fine. A gaming console you usually hold it further away and you're not really consuming text. So for that you can comfortably do 720p

These phones with 4K, 1440p etc screens? Nothing but a **** measuring contest. Apple barely goes beyond 1080p, there's a reason for that

There is innovation to be had here sure and I know i sound like a broken record here.... but it's in refresh rates, HDR, VRR, faster response times, higher peak brightness etc. These things aren't as sexy as going beyond 720p sure. But they actually improve the gaming experience, which is the entire point

I see your point. I certainly don't need the highest end, top of the line screen by any stretch. Even my main tv in my home is only 1080p and I don't really care. I think 1080p is still useful and worthwhile on a Switch, especially combined with a faster refresh rate as you mentioned. I guess deep down I understand that Nintendo games don't require the power needed for games like God of War, but I still hope that Nintendo would some day still make a powerful console. I also wouldn't need anything approaching 4K because I do agree that it's basically a waste of time on small screens. But I think 1080p is reasonable and would be appreciated to a degree that makes it worth it in my personal opinion.

Admittedly, battery life would suffer in handheld mode and that isn't always worth it depending on what the trade off is. At the absolute bare minimum, docked mode should support the higher resolutions on the next model.

And I apologize for using the term "2k", other forums I frequent use that term fairly often to describe the middle ground between 1080p and 4k resolution (usually 1440p). I didn't intend for it to throw things off the rails.

KevinP

NintendoByNature

I can definitely get behind a zelda II remaster/remake

NintendoByNature

skywake

@kaisu @HotGoomba @KevinP
If we're being pedantic the K in 4K refers to the horizontal resolution, i.e. resolutions with around 4000 pixels in the horizontal. So "2K" would be anything with around 2000 pixels. 1080p is usually 1920x1080 so is "2K" but "proper" 2K is more like 2048x1080

Proper 4K is the cinema resolution, 4096x2160 while the 16:9 4K we call 4K should have really been called 2160p. But the cinema resolution kinda became part of the language before consumer UHD screens were really a thing. 4K cameras for making movies were around in the mid 2000s, UHD TVs were only really a thing in the early 2010s and didn't really drop in price until around 2015. Also 2160p is.... a bit of a mouthful. So It's just 4K

1440p would probably be something more like 2.5K or possibly 3K. But there is no cinema resolution standard around that range at all so it doesn't get a name. It's QHD or 1440p

I think the confusion comes from people subconsciously thinking of 1080p as "1000" or "1K". Then 4K comes along which is twice the width and twice the height of 1080p, or 4x the resolution of 1080p. Well if that's 4K then 1080p is 1/4 of that so it must be 1K. 1440p is half way between so it must therefore be "2K". But no, the K refers to the horizontal resolution

Could all be avoided if we called them 1MP (720p) 2MP (1080p), 4MP (1440p) and 8MP (UHD/4K). Which also communicates much better how many pixels they actually have. But no, we live in a world where people thought we could summarize resolution by using just one of the two dimensions. Good job movie/TV/display/camera industry

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: King Gizz, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

TSR3

@skywake Do you think an Orin (Drake) style SoC could be powerful enough to upscale all the way to 4K (UHD), or do you think it'll top out somewhere around 1440p?

TSR3

HotGoomba

@skywake The MP name could be confused with camera megapixels. So RIP that idea.

No matter what, resolution naming will never be as confusing as USB naming schemes.

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

Kermit1

What if the next Switch has a camera like an iPhone and that's the gimmick

Currently Playing:

Known to be quirky on occasion

HotGoomba

@Kermit1Pineapple Nintendo Switchi

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic