Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 2,161 to 2,180 of 4,146

Fizza

@Magician @KevinP @HotGoomba I wasn't aware '2K' was even a thing. I've always just called it 'HD' personally.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

GrailUK

@Fizza I feel like my TV just got a free upgrade hahaha!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

HotGoomba

Fizza wrote:

@Magician @KevinP @HotGoomba I wasn't aware '2K' was even a thing. I've always just called it 'HD' personally.

HD is technically 720p, Full HD is 1080p, 1440p is somewhere in the middle, and 4K is 2160p.

I don't know what the hell a 2K is. When did Take-Two make displays?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

skywake

KevinP wrote:

The thing is, 2k wouldn't be an impossible standard to achieve and batteries are the next big innovation in tech in my opinion. If everyone in 2010 said: "Oh there's no reason to improve these smart phone screens any more because our eyes can't discern a higher pixel density anyway and so there's no point.", we would've missed out on a lot of awesome innovation. For that reason, I don't see why we should cap out on progress.

Except super high resolution phone screens ARE pointless and nothing but a waste of battery life. At 4-8" at the distance you usually hold your phone? 1080p is fine. A gaming console you usually hold it further away and you're not really consuming text. So for that you can comfortably do 720p

These phones with 4K, 1440p etc screens? Nothing but a **** measuring contest. Apple barely goes beyond 1080p, there's a reason for that

There is innovation to be had here sure and I know i sound like a broken record here.... but it's in refresh rates, HDR, VRR, faster response times, higher peak brightness etc. These things aren't as sexy as going beyond 720p sure. But they actually improve the gaming experience, which is the entire point

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

KevinP

skywake wrote:

KevinP wrote:

The thing is, 2k wouldn't be an impossible standard to achieve and batteries are the next big innovation in tech in my opinion. If everyone in 2010 said: "Oh there's no reason to improve these smart phone screens any more because our eyes can't discern a higher pixel density anyway and so there's no point.", we would've missed out on a lot of awesome innovation. For that reason, I don't see why we should cap out on progress.

Except super high resolution phone screens ARE pointless and nothing but a waste of battery life. At 4-8" at the distance you usually hold your phone? 1080p is fine. A gaming console you usually hold it further away and you're not really consuming text. So for that you can comfortably do 720p

These phones with 4K, 1440p etc screens? Nothing but a **** measuring contest. Apple barely goes beyond 1080p, there's a reason for that

There is innovation to be had here sure and I know i sound like a broken record here.... but it's in refresh rates, HDR, VRR, faster response times, higher peak brightness etc. These things aren't as sexy as going beyond 720p sure. But they actually improve the gaming experience, which is the entire point

I see your point. I certainly don't need the highest end, top of the line screen by any stretch. Even my main tv in my home is only 1080p and I don't really care. I think 1080p is still useful and worthwhile on a Switch, especially combined with a faster refresh rate as you mentioned. I guess deep down I understand that Nintendo games don't require the power needed for games like God of War, but I still hope that Nintendo would some day still make a powerful console. I also wouldn't need anything approaching 4K because I do agree that it's basically a waste of time on small screens. But I think 1080p is reasonable and would be appreciated to a degree that makes it worth it in my personal opinion.

Admittedly, battery life would suffer in handheld mode and that isn't always worth it depending on what the trade off is. At the absolute bare minimum, docked mode should support the higher resolutions on the next model.

And I apologize for using the term "2k", other forums I frequent use that term fairly often to describe the middle ground between 1080p and 4k resolution (usually 1440p). I didn't intend for it to throw things off the rails.

KevinP

NintendoByNature

I can definitely get behind a zelda II remaster/remake

NintendoByNature

skywake

@kaisu @HotGoomba @KevinP
If we're being pedantic the K in 4K refers to the horizontal resolution, i.e. resolutions with around 4000 pixels in the horizontal. So "2K" would be anything with around 2000 pixels. 1080p is usually 1920x1080 so is "2K" but "proper" 2K is more like 2048x1080

Proper 4K is the cinema resolution, 4096x2160 while the 16:9 4K we call 4K should have really been called 2160p. But the cinema resolution kinda became part of the language before consumer UHD screens were really a thing. 4K cameras for making movies were around in the mid 2000s, UHD TVs were only really a thing in the early 2010s and didn't really drop in price until around 2015. Also 2160p is.... a bit of a mouthful. So It's just 4K

1440p would probably be something more like 2.5K or possibly 3K. But there is no cinema resolution standard around that range at all so it doesn't get a name. It's QHD or 1440p

I think the confusion comes from people subconsciously thinking of 1080p as "1000" or "1K". Then 4K comes along which is twice the width and twice the height of 1080p, or 4x the resolution of 1080p. Well if that's 4K then 1080p is 1/4 of that so it must be 1K. 1440p is half way between so it must therefore be "2K". But no, the K refers to the horizontal resolution

Could all be avoided if we called them 1MP (720p) 2MP (1080p), 4MP (1440p) and 8MP (UHD/4K). Which also communicates much better how many pixels they actually have. But no, we live in a world where people thought we could summarize resolution by using just one of the two dimensions. Good job movie/TV/display/camera industry

Edited on by skywake

TSR3

@skywake Do you think an Orin (Drake) style SoC could be powerful enough to upscale all the way to 4K (UHD), or do you think it'll top out somewhere around 1440p?

TSR3

HotGoomba

@skywake The MP name could be confused with camera megapixels. So RIP that idea.

No matter what, resolution naming will never be as confusing as USB naming schemes.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Kermit1doesmath

What if the next Switch has a camera like an iPhone and that's the gimmick

dysgraphia awareness human

GrailUK

@Kermit1Pineapple It's going to have 3 screens. Platinum are working on Star Fox Minus One as we speak.

GrailUK

@Kermit1Pineapple ...now you are being ridiculous.*

*hehe

skywake

HotGoomba wrote:

@skywake The MP name could be confused with camera megapixels. So RIP that idea.

I mean it's literally the same thing so I don't see the issue. I mean you could argue that 2MP image from a camera is usually pretty average compared to decent 1080p video. But it's average because of the sensor sizes a 2MP still camera would have vs a FullHD video camera. So it would require explaining that for cameras which wouldn't be a bad thing IMO

And in any case, I'd argue the same is true of displays anyways. A 1080p image on a fantastic display with super high contrast, fast pixel response, great colour accuracy etc is going to look better than bargain bin 4K. So you need to explain the other stuff also. Then with video you need to talk about compression, bitrate etc

Which kinda gets us back to these numbers mean nothing by themselves and it's a pointless discussion

_fatto_katto_

Is there a possibility of Nintendo releasing a game based on the Super Mario Movie?

_fatto_katto_

MarioBrickLayer

@_fatto_katto_ @Kermit1Pineapple Spawnwave from the Spawn Cast speculated about this, he thought it would be a 2D mario game as they are more accessible to a non gaming audience, the theory being people who go and see the movie who aren't gamers are more likely to buy 2D over 3D as it's less daunting...

MarioBrickLayer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic