Forums

Topic: Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Posts 201 to 220 of 525

Haru17

@OorWullie I don't think my reaction to the leaked cover and internal slides was wrong, no. It literally looks better than the cover art implies, and the soundtrack is nice, but it's still rabbids in place of the story that is expected in a Mario RPG. The level design also looks dull and literally path-based, so that can't sub in for story like Zelda dungeons. Like if I wanted to play an SRPG I'd go play Banner Saga or replay Xenoblade.

I am never going to do those things. I hate that kind of weightless combat system and we know down to the exact percentage point that this game is mostly combat. The combat looks nowhere near as varied as Child of Light or The Thousand Year Door.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

JoyBoy

Cognitive dissonance will be strong in this thread.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Nicolai

I actually think I like it! It's been a while since I've gotten my feet wet with the tactical strategy genre, and Fire Emblem's aesthetic was always too stuffy for me. I love how basic gameplay is going to include all of this jumping around, flips, and slick camera angles, and I like how this game is giving the Mario characters a personality they haven't had in recent games, at least those that I've played. And the world looks really good!

The inclusion of the Rabbids is... fine. And necessary. I can't imagine the game having the same kind of charm without them. And so far, I don't think they're that offensive. Rabbid Peach is so troll-y in a delightfully funny way, and Rabbid Luigi is kind of endearing with his overlarge shirt. The part when laser cannons appeared conveniently in front of the gang made me shake my head a bit, since clearly they aren't planning on explaining anything that's going on, as if Mario + Rabbids + Laser Cannons doesn't need to make any sense. But overall, I'm excited to give this a try!

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

erv

This was a great surprise. It looks like a lot of fun - it's highly likely I'm buying it day one.

Funny, as it was the last thing I'd expect haha - which partly shows the brilliance of it.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

FGPackers

Game is good but don't take it because Rabbids...just LOL. If it happens for some other things it's all right. This is kind of hilarious.

It looks good, it looks fun. I'm sold

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Peyj

I am happy with the crossover. And I am happy it seems to have a real gameplay

Peyj

OorWullie

@Haru17 I'm not sure it can be compared to games like Child of Light or Xenoblade or even Paper Mario.This is more of a tactical turn based RPG.I've never played X-COM but that seems to be the game it's being compared to the most.To me it looks like a cross between Advance Wars and Worms with a little bit of exploring to break up the combat and a whole lot of wackiness on top.Like both those games the story isn't important,it's all about the combat.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

kkslider5552000

The Codename STEAM devs must be so sad and envious watching this.

(but tbh, this seems like a better game than Codename STEAM too)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Haru17

OorWullie wrote:

Like both those games the story isn't important,it's all about the combat.

No thanks. Combat without action elements isn't fun to me, especially if that's most of the game as the leak suggested. I much prefer active turn-based, again, like Paper Mario or Child of Light. SRPGs just don't feel physical enough for me, like that nice triangle Thousand Year Door had of ground-based enemies, spike-topped enemies, and flying enemies. Jumps don't work on spikey or flaming enemies, and the hammer can't be used on enemies behind the leading monster or flying off the ground. I don't see any hook like that present in Rabbids.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Therad

@Haru17: Did you see the gameplay footage, or only the trailer?

From the little we have seen, it seems to borrow a lot from XCOM. I would say that the combat mechanic is much more advanced than thousand year door for example.

Therad

SKTTR

They only showed the first few battles and a bit of linear exploration from the first world.
Obviously there will be more items, characters, enemies, and complex worlds and puzzles later on (as you can see in the background of that seemingly open world).

I hope there's a ton of fun cutscenes because the animation is great. I like how Mario is just huh?? & wha?? about the chaos and crazyness of the Rabbids, the same curiousness that most players will have when meeting Rabbids for the first time. Mario characters and Rabbids crossing paths really lets them evolve in some way. It shows how defined, fun, and carefully developed those characters really are.
As for graphics they're really adorable. As if Ubi put their own European touch on all the characters. Goombas look even funnier than before.

@Nicolaison I'm totally with you on those pop-up lasers. The Rabbids fell out of a dimensional gate on top of Peach's Castle but the cannons just appeared with no explanation.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

FGPackers

I just can't think of Mario, Luigi, Peach and most of all FREAKING Yoshi with a laser beam! That is so cool!

Edited on by FGPackers

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

gcunit

A good 'developer diary' video here:

Turn-based games are not really my thing, but this game sure does look good, and fun too.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Haruki_NLI

You are welcome. Its stuck in my head.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

I had a suspicion that was Airbourne lol. Great band. I've seen them perform live once.

Octane

Xyphon22

@kkslider5552000 That game was my first thought when I saw this, which kind of makes me sad because this game looks good but I just haven't been able to get into Code Name: STEAM. I want to like it, but it just doesn't click with me. As good as this game looks, then, I will definitely have to see more and how it might differ to make it more fun for me personally.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Maxz

@Nicolaison Agree with all of this.

And comparisons to Paper Mario seem... weird. The combat system is evidently nothing like Paper Mario. Hell, Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are going to be better approximations of Paper Mario than this game. And they're... y'know, main series Pokémon games.

Initial concerns over the aesthetic seem pretty unfounded too, as it looks like one of the most lush, colourful, and sumptuously animated worlds I've ever seen on a Nintendo console.

For most of us, it seems like we've either got a choice of cognitive dissonance or humble pie. Some more so than others.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

MadAdam81

@Maxz I can't believe anyone thinks it's anything like Paper Mario. SM1 is more like PM than this.
This is like X-Com with a beautiful clay-esque aesthetic for a mash up of Mario & Rabbids worlds.

MadAdam81

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic