Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 2,001 to 2,020 of 2,232

GameOtaku

@Grumblevolcano
Uno?! Really? Pretty sure everyone has already played Uno before and most couldn’t care less.

GameOtaku

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano Considering Nintendo hasn’t announced this month’s N64 game, that would make some sense. I’m still unsure why they didn’t just release it when first announced. I can’t believe porting it over to NSO & Xbox was a major or lengthy task.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed Maybe it's about finding a suitable release date. Could be that Nintendo has the same stance on releasing Goldeneye as releasing Advance Wars but Microsoft pushed for the announcement happening in September.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Clyde_Radcliffe

WoomyNNYes wrote:

The discount to upgrade to the NSO expansion is a joke.
My 1 year NSO sub will expire in April (only 4 months left), and the discounted price to upgrade to the expansion is only $4.75 USD off of the full $50. Really?!? The only game I have interest in playing is Banjo Kazooie. I had no idea the discount offered to upgrade was so terrible. I can't believe this is the only way I can try Banjo Kazooie on the Switch.

I can't believe banjo is so readily available and cheap on xbox one, and probalby series x.

If it's not clear, I have zero interest in playing anything else that comes with the expansion. That's not a put down of retro. I'm just not interested anymore.

I'm with you. I'll only be upgrading if they add GameBoy/Gameboy Advance. Unfortunately N64 games have aged a lot worse than I thought they would. I enjoyed playing Wave Race and Kirby 64 for the first time though, they hold up well.

Clyde_Radcliffe

GameOtaku

WoomyNNYes wrote:

The discount to upgrade to the NSO expansion is a joke.
My 1 year NSO sub will expire in April (only 4 months left), and the discounted price to upgrade to the expansion is only $4.75 USD off of the full $50. Really?!? The only game I have interest in playing is Banjo Kazooie. I had no idea the discount offered to upgrade was so terrible. I can't believe this is the only way I can try Banjo Kazooie on the Switch.

I can't believe banjo is so readily available and cheap on xbox one, and probalby series x.

If it's not clear, I have zero interest in playing anything else that comes with the expansion. That's not a put down of retro. I'm just not interested anymore.

This is one of the biggest reasons we need a way to purchase individual titles like on VC. Maybe we should look at doing what the D&D community has done in regards to the OGL controversy and start hurting their wallets by canceling subscriptions.

Edited on by GameOtaku

GameOtaku

FragRed

The biggest issue I have with the NSO expansion is the lack of third party N64 games. Other than Goldeneye everything in the lineup is Nintendo. There’s some decent third party games on that system but it seems Nintendo are only going to focus on their own offerings and that’s it.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

kkslider5552000

FragRed wrote:

The biggest issue I have with the NSO expansion is the lack of third party N64 games. Other than Goldeneye everything in the lineup is Nintendo. There’s some decent third party games on that system but it seems Nintendo are only going to focus on their own offerings and that’s it.

Technically Japan is getting Harvest Moon 64 (and if we're not I solely blame the bizarre licensing issues old games in that series might now have), but yeah that does also bother me. It might just be that Nintendo only has a small team working on these (which I absolutely believe considering how it launched), and first party games don't require licensing (read: paying more money) for games that mostly aren't why people would get the service anyway. Like as the diehard Mischief Makers fan, I already got this service even at its worst state at launch, so its hard for me to make the argument that I'd spend more money on anything if they added Mischief Makers (technically I'd probably be spending less money on any Nintendo Switch products on account of being busy playing Mischief Makers :V ).

But yeah it sucks. At least NES and SNES's lacking 3rd party games are games that have been re-released (especially on Switch), but N64 is a graveyard of games stuck on N64. In terms of 3rd party N64 re-releases, in the entire post-N64 history of video games, its probably less then 20. Like off the top of my head, the 4 VC games, 2 confirmed NSO games (as Harvest Moon was one of the 4 VC games), 4 other games on Switch in other forms (soon to be 5 with Glover), Rayman 2 on Nintendo handhelds, and a couple of games where being a somewhat rare "also on PS1" game meant that version has been on later Playstations (and its probably a stretch if those even count).

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

FragRed

@kkslider5552000 Mischief Makers is a weird one licensing wise I think. It’s published by Nintendo Internationally but Enix published it in Japan so I’m not sure who owns the rights to that game. I’m guessing it lays with Square Enix as it’s a Japanese game and they published it over there, so probably won’t get a NSO release. You know, the same way Mario RPG isn’t on SNES NSO. Seems weird licensing going on.

I wonder if Nintendo have realised the NSO Expansion was a mistake and hasn’t seen a significant uptake. Shouldn’t have had Mega Drive as the other console. But the lack of people upgrading to it is likely a good reason not to throw much resources at getting more games on it.

kkslider5552000

FragRed wrote:

I wonder if Nintendo have realised the NSO Expansion was a mistake and hasn’t seen a significant uptake. Shouldn’t have had Mega Drive as the other console. But the lack of people upgrading to it is likely a good reason not to throw much resources at getting more games on it.

I mean if they've been underwhelmed by Expansion Pack numbers, they've not said it and in fact, have said the opposite.

FragRed

@kkslider5552000 I knew the normal tier NSO was seen as a huge success, i didn’t realise they talked highly of the numbers for the expansion. It was really just an off the top of the head thought on why so little effort is being put into the retro gaming libraries.

MPSSislit

GameOtaku wrote:

@FragRed
Gamepass allows you to buy individual games so you wouldn’t need to subscribe.

I mean, I feel like the chance of the NSO games being able to be bought separately from NSO increased when the NSO Expansion Pack released. I say that because both Happy Home Paradise (ACNH DLC) & Booster Course Pass (MK8DX DLC) have the option to buy separately from the Expansion Pack, or as a “Special Offer” for getting the Expansion Pack, so I don’t think it’s completely off the table. 🤔

Shortly after the Booster Course Pass was announced last year, I developed the theory that maybe Nintendo was testing the 2 methods of buying separate or subscribing to the Expansion Pack with the 2 DLC’s to see if maybe it would be “viable” (which we all know it would be, but we all know how Nintendo can be sometimes, lol) to have the option to buy NES, Super NES, N64, & Genesis games separately from the Expansion Pack, or subscribe to the Expansion Pack for a “better deal”.

If they ended up doing that, I’m thinking that maybe they charge like $8, like Hamster & SEGA does for Arcade Archives & SEGA Ages, but the difference would be that the $8 price would be the non-NSO subscriber price, and then have a deal for NSO subscribers. I’m thinking that maybe they charge like $8 for NES, Super NES, & N6 games like Hamster & SEGA do for Arcade Archives & SEGA Ages, but the difference would be that the $8 price would be the non-NSO subscriber price, and then have a deal for NSO members. I’m thinking that they could have like 50% for “base” NSO members, and like 75% for NSO EP members. I know that 50 & 75% off for NSO members, is more unrealistic than we’d like it to be.

That being said, if you think about it, 75% off of $8 would be $2, which was the same price that Virtual Console games in the Wii U were, if you transferred your Wii VC games over to the Wii U, so I feel like it could be a little nod to that, and as a “thank you” from Nintendo for subscribing to NSO.

I know that my theory is kind of more of a dream, than an actual possibility, but I thought I would just share my thoughts, and see what you guys think about it. 🤔

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

GameOtaku

@MPSSislit
Sounds like a great idea especially if the price was consistent across the consoles on offer. Although I’d like to add the caveat “if you have previously purchased the game on VC (wii, wiiu, 3ds) you can download it free”.

GameOtaku

kkslider5552000

It's so weird to see how people are talking about the Switch version of Goldeneye as the only version with online. It feels like no one talking about it understands or remembers that online is an automatic feature for all NSO multiplayer games. Like the Switch version didn't get an extra feature, its just automatically is a feature of the service.

Xyphon22

Been playing through Goldeneye. The controls took a bit to get used to but I've had no problem doing what needs to be done...until the train. I've tried a couple of times but can't get anywhere near cutting the vent open in time. I remember having trouble with it on the original, too, but not like this. I just can't aim and hit the braces properly at all. Is there a way to manually crouch? Because that makes it easier, but I just keep randomly crouching and then standing back up at the most inopportune times.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

kkslider5552000

My biggest surprise 4 levels in at least is that being the beloved masterpiece of 007 games and also the only one Rare made, it does honestly feel like the first game in the series of FPS Bond games. I wouldn't say The World is Not Enough is better, but it does feel like a bigger, more advanced now that we know how to make N64 games sequel to Goldeneye. A lot of it because of the levels, which are surprisingly short so far (especially level 3, which is basically one open area). Level 4 was a lot larger technically but getting lost is maybe the only reason it wouldn't be very short on a replay.

Similar to when I played Pilotwings 64 and Jumping Flash last year, I find myself kinda fascinated going back to early 5th gen console games I never grew up on. It's the type of games I feel like I'm playing less to enjoy them and more for historical context, when everyone was trying to figure out "HOW DO 3D GAM WORK?!!!?"

FunGuy

Is there some, like, schedule to when we get more games on the NSO+Expansion Pack Service

Or is it literally just "When Nintendo decides to do it?" I've rarely ever talked to anyone about Nintendo Switch Stuff since getting one a couple years ago, but I'm totally hooked on these classic NES, SNES, N64 and Genesis games 🤷‍♂️

Edited on by FunGuy

FunGuy

kkslider5552000

FunGuy wrote:

Is there some, like, schedule to when we get more games on the NSO+Expansion Pack Service
Or is it literally just "When Nintendo decides to do it?"

Yes.

Though N64 games thus far have been, more or less, one a month. And we do know the next few are gonna be Mario Party 3, the Pokemon Stadium games, 1080 Snowboarding and Excitebike 64 (and possibly Harvest Moon 64 if the Japanese showcase is any indication).

WoomyNNYes

@FunGuy There's been no schedule for NSO game releases. Like KKSlider said, when NES & SNES games first started coming to NSO, they initially may have been monthly additions, then they came out in a slower drip. I think 1-3 months would pass, and Nintendo was silent on the subject. The lack of a schedule has been rather disappointing. In the long term, I don't think that's changed.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic