Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 1,561 to 1,580 of 1,721

GameOtaku

@skywake
The switch online sub is far more costly than buying the games individually on VC. If you don’t play online and only want access to the games why are you forced to pay for the service? If Nintendo would use the account system we should be able to redownload the games we already purchased through VC (or at least a small VC transfer fee for say $5 to transfer all vc from one gen to the next). Right now I’d you wanted full access that’s $50 a year! In 4 years time that’s over $200! You could pick and choose games on vc for a lot cheaper and never lose access as I have in the past when I subbed for a month to switch online. I didn’t have internet at home (still don’t) so I lost half my sub time due to the check in policy and didn’t once play any online games.

GameOtaku

Xyphon22

@GameOtaku But if I had to buy all the games individually that I have really wanted to play on NSO, I would have spent well over that $200 already. But instead I've only spent $35 (I have the family plan). And that's before the more expensive N64 games come out. And how often over the years to come am I going to replay those games? I'll tell you. Precisely zero, so the fact that I don't "own" them is irrelevant. This way is much better, cheaper, and I get to play way more games than I ever would (or did) with a virtual console system in place.

Edited on by Xyphon22

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

GameOtaku

@Xyphon22
But not everyone is the same way when it comes to games. I’m constantly going back and replaying older games even if I’ve completed them already. I find them to be fun and I like to challenge myself to try new ways to complete them. Just earlier today I spent $25 on four nes and one game boy game at a local flea market. So to me and no any others VC is by far a more appealing option over the switch online rentals.

If you want to argue if a game has value that’s more subjective. I love Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde on NES and would buy it in a heartbeat on VC but I’m probably in the minority but the opposite is true of games like Tecmo Bowl which is well received but it’s not a game I’d buy in any capacity.

Edited on by GameOtaku

GameOtaku

Xyphon22

@GameOtaku That's fine, and like I said before, everyone is different and neither way is inherently better. But just today you spent more on five games than what a year-long NSO membership costs, so how can you say it's cheaper? And while I have never done any kind of research, there are two things I am willing to bet are true. First, more people are like me and only play a game once or twice and then move on. And two, if there is a game you want to come back to over and over again, you probably already have it on its original system, or at least in some manner. I know I do. The original Legend of Zelda is my favorite game ever, but I never bought it on any VC because I own the NES cartridge and can play it whenever I want already. So what would be the point of a VC? You already own those games!

Xyphon22

GameOtaku

@Xyphon22
But with vc being digital it should be easily transferable and it will last longer than my physical copies. There are only a finite number of carts available after all for something 20-30 plus years old. It would certainly make certain games more easily accessible.

Edited on by GameOtaku

GameOtaku

Xyphon22

@GameOtaku Yes, they should be easily transferrable, and that would make them easily accessible. But that's not how the VC is done. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde would never be on the VC, and even if it was, it wouldn't transfer to the next system. If that's another reason you want to be mad at Nintendo, fine. That's fair. But in the meantime, that's simply another reason why I personally think NSO is way better than VC ever was.

Xyphon22

skywake

BruceCM wrote:

I usually trade in most physical games after finishing them but there's some I played several times before doing so. As for NSO, I thus have no nostalgia for the games in that now or that'll come, so that makes it not worthwhile to me

If it has no value to you then it has no value to you. I'm not trying to convince anyone that they should be subscribing to this service. The only point I'm trying to make is that the perpetual ownership of the VC model was not "better value" than the "rental" model of NSO. Especially for people who sunk a lot of money into the VC and would have continued to do so

@GameOtaku
It's clear you have some kind of thing against online so there's nothing anyone can say or do to make you happy. Nintendo could make this service $10/year and add every single system upto the Wii and you'd still have issues with it I suspect. For what it's worth I agree with your point that VC purchases on previous platforms should have been honoured. But they haven't been, which is just another reason the VC wasn't a great value. I'd much rather a subscription that opens up a larger library than Nintendo asking me to pay full price for Super Mario Kart again.

Also, excuse Australian pricing, but for me I'm on a family plan shared amongst four. Effectively I'm paying $26AU/year for NSO+. If the Switch was just VC as usual I know I would've picked some up more classic titles. I would've brought Stunt Race FX, Super Mario Kart, Super Tennis and probably Donkey Kong Country. N64 I probably pick up Mario Kart 64, Sin & Punishment and Banjo. On the Wii SNES titles were $12AU each and N64 was $15AU except for Sin & Punishment which was $19AU. $100AU right there, 4 years of NSO from 1/4 of a family plan. Basically gets me through a console cycle which no doubt if we had a VC model they'd reset my classic purchases again

But it's also worth noting we get other stuff in NSO+. For that same $26AU this year for a shared NSO+ I'm getting a $37AU DLC which, while I'm not as hyped about it as some, if I'm being honest I was going to pick up anyways. There are also the game vouchers which I've used twice this year saving me ~$10AU v cheapest retailers in total or ~$50AU compared to full eShop pricing. Before we even consider the classic games I'm conservatively ahead by ~$20AU this year. So for me this is definitely a service worth subscribing to. If I was on a single membership? I'd be down by ~$15AU this year, so for this year for someone who uses the service like I do it's effectively ~$15AU to get access to SNES and N64 titles. Which is pretty decent

If you're in a different boat? Fair enough. If you have no ability to get on the internet in your day to day life? No judgement, some people have it rough. But yeah, for you it doesn't make sense to subscribe to NSO. But don't pretend that VC was amazing value in comparison

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

GameOtaku

@skywake
It was a great bargain compared to prices of the games on the original carts as of now. The base switch online isn’t a bad price for what it is compared to its competitors. However I don’t see the value in paying for an online service since it’s not for me. It would be great if both could exist. It’s more money for the devs of these retro titles (probably more so than the small change they get off of the subs). That way you don’t need to sub to play and you get the games you want to play anytime or any where you choose. The subscribers get the benefits of online and the drop fed library.

GameOtaku

Oberzilla

The expansion pack is tempting because my wife was kind enough to either take or toss a chunk of my collection into a dumpster. However, I got super psyched for NES/SNES games for the same reason and never use them on the NSO platform. Besides, I just got a ridiculous deal on a bundle of consoles and at most I might grab a Dreamcast to round things out.

Oberzilla

Mauzuri

Random question: Is there any chance Diddy Kong Racing could come to N64 Online? I've missed that game for years..

Mauzuri

Nintendo Network ID: Mauz64

BruceCM

Yeah, I was more suggesting the virtual console as well, @skywake .... So, like GamePass, you might be happy just playing what's on there but the games are also available to buy if you want
That'd also suit people who don't want to subscribe, if they already have half the games or only want to play a few, etc

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

skywake

@Mauzuri
We never got it on the Wii or Wii U VC which you have to assume was because of licencing issues. It does have Banjo and Conker as playable characters which Rare owns and now technically Microsoft owns. But we're getting Banjo on this service so I'd say there's an agreement there. And if there is an agreement for more than just Banjo I think Diddy Kong Racing would be the most likely other Rare game to come to NSO+

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Xyphon22

GameOtaku wrote:

@skywake
It was a great bargain compared to prices of the games on the original carts as of now.

Now there you are certainly correct. As a non-collector, it was awesome when Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger game to Wii VC and I was able to sell both of my SNES cartridges for about $50 each and then buy them on the Wii for $8.

Xyphon22

SKTTR

I got the physical Sega Mega Drive Classics (50+ games collection) on Switch for 29,99 because NSO+Expansion is so bad. I will keep these games forever. With NSO I need to pay each and every year and still lose all of it eventually.

The Animal Crossing DLC?
Well, for me it's physical > download > cloud/stream/subscription.
So yeah, definately prefer the download. I wanna play this whenever I want. I hate to feel forced to play this now to get the most out of it within a one year time limit just because I paid for it.

As for N64, I grew up with it. It was my first day 1 console and I have a massive physical collection including GoldenEye and Conker's Bad Fur Day.
And I bought Sin and Punishment (JP) and Ogre Battle 64 (US) on Wii VC ten years ago.
I think there won't be enough for me on N64 NSO to make the price feel right.
Yes, I kind of want to play F-ZERO X online and I kind of want to try Dr. Mario 64 for the first time (it was US only). But that's it. I have all these games already, Banjo-Kazooie, Kirby 64, even WinBack.

And how do people defend the family plan?
I don't see any benefits from it. Even before the NSO Expansion it was just ripping off the dumb.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Sunsy

@SKTTR I feel kind of the same way. I have that Genesis collection as well as some Genesis games on PC via Steam. I really don't see any kind of value out of it because of that. The N64 stuff, I literally have half of those games on my Wii U right now, and considering buying Sin and Punishment there to play it (I had no idea it existed on Wii U until the other day), and save some money. Even Star Fox 64, I have it on Wii, Wii U, 3DS, and I own the original cartridge.

If I want a DLC for a game I like, I would just buy it. Why would I want to simply "rent" it.

I was ok with the idea of a subscription service where you pay one price and play all the classic games you want. If online multiplayer didn't force people to pay, I think it would be better received. That idea got soured by adding an additional price for N64 and Genesis (especially since the latter has a collection).

Right now, I only really pay for the basic Switch online just to play friends who aren't big on PC gaming. Maybe it's time to convince them to come over to the PC side, hmm.

Edited on by Sunsy

Sunsy

gcunit

@SKTTR Can you explain what you mean by the Family Plan ripping off the dumb?

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

1UP_MARIO

@gcunit I would also like to know how

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

SKTTR

gcunit wrote:

@SKTTR Can you explain what you mean by the Family Plan ripping off the dumb?

Why pay more when everyone can play online through the main account?
Is it only useful if you have multiple Switch consoles at home?
I come from a not so distant past where 1 console and 1 online was enough for everyone in the family.
And it was free. And it had messaging, video and voice chat (Wii U).

Edited on by SKTTR

Xyphon22

@SKTTR Everyone CAN, but my son has his own account with his own Mario Maker 2 and Minecraft setup and needs to have online on his account, too. That's why we got the family account. That doesn't make us dumb.

Xyphon22

SKTTR

Xyphon22 wrote:

@SKTTR Everyone CAN, but my son has his own account with his own Mario Maker 2 and Minecraft setup and needs to have online on his account, too. That's why we got the family account. That doesn't make us dumb.

I still don't see a benefit. Why couldn't he just use your account for his Mario Maker, Minecraft and online stuff. It's your son. In my eyes the family subscription is wasting money.

Edited on by SKTTR

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic