Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 1,561 to 1,580 of 2,232

Eel

Zelda is the only game I’ve played and I haven’t seen any lag at all.

Of course it could be I’m playing on a Lite, with the built in controls, and not online. But for my use case, the games run just as I’d expect.

Perhaps just a little washed out? In terms of the colors.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

skywake

@GameOtaku
I still buy movies and music because I like physical media and supporting artists. I can tell you now I spend more buying music and movies than I do on Spotify, Disney+ and Netflix. And if the VC was still a thing and NSO wasn't I'd probably be spending more on classic games than I am on NSO. Especially when you factor in other items included like the AC DLC (which I'm into) and the voucher program

You're just factually wrong on the value side here. Period. No argument to be had.

Now if you want to buy these games via other means? You still have that ability. Knock yourself out. The Wii U and 3DS eshop still exist. The classic mini consoles exist. Retro collections are all over the eshop as well as other store fronts. Nothing stopping you going somewhere else. I won't but because NSO covers that itch well enough

But please, don't pretend you're uncovering some kind of scam here. You really aren't. Nothing you can say will convince me that this isn't a decent value for me. Especially as someone who spent money on the VC, is in a family plan, isn't worried about "losing internet" and is taking advantage of other aspects of this service

Find a new hobby or something that doesn't involve complaining about a product you are not buying

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Eel

Heh.

Virtual Console is his favorite topic, don’t you know. And I can tell you that you won’t be changing his mind about anything, I’ve seen it happen many times before.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

FroZtedFlake

Sorry, but I had a couple questions regarding the expansion service that I can't seem to get answered, the first being, if I already have the original service does it cost 50$ to upgrade, or 30$? The second being, if I have the original service and it's going to run out in December and I buy the expansion, will it also run out in December or renew the original too? How does that work?

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

Eel

@FroZtedFlakerZz if you change from a plan to another, Nintendo will calculate a discount based on how much of your plan you have left.

For example, I had a little over 11 months left of a regular Family Plan, when I upgraded to the Expansion Pack, the cost, in MX$, went from $1899, to $1060.14.

The regular family plan costed $900, so for the time I had remaining, they discounted me $838.86, which seems about right.

Once you upgrade, this date will become your new renewal date. Imagine it like this: you canceled your plan, and they put the remaining money-worth of that canceled plan into a new plan.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

1UP_MARIO

From the comments.
The people buying individual subscription don’t like it. The people buying it, joining family subscription Love it. Well worth the price.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

FroZtedFlake

@Eel Oh ok thanks, I was thinking of grabbing it sometime and that was confusing me

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

gcunit

@GameOtaku Where are we with NSO? Is this the 4th year? I think so. In that case, it's cost me 3 x £5 + £10 so far

£25 for 4 years of cloud saves, online gaming and access to NES, SNES and now N64 and MD services. Sure, I'm in it for the cloud saves and online gaming primarily, costing me £6.25 per year, but I've got access to all those games on top of that. If it's a scam, it's not a very harmful one now is it?

Edit: Plus access to the Animal Crossing DLC!

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

GameOtaku

@skywake
But you still subscribe to those services correct? So the combined costs are still going up year on year. The only way I would actually concede it to be a better value would be to have unlimited access to the complete libraries of all the systems available and you could pick out the ones you wanted and download them to the system. But that’s not going to happen now is it. $50 is a new switch game. VC competed with both Indy and new games and was highly regarded. As someone who doesn’t play online (again I reiterate no online at all nor do I have a good internet connection like many others in my community and across the world) how is this a good value?! Pay $50 and only play the games half the time if even that and never go online in a match?!

If anything the ones to blame is those who rebought the same VC over and over instead of putting your foot down. But no we have gotten to this point because they made poor decisions and you continue to say “oh well” and go on and continue to pay them for lackluster services.

GameOtaku

1UP_MARIO

@GameOtaku if you don’t play games online don’t buy it, it’s not really for you. You might aswell buy the games on the Wii U or 3ds if you want to experience retro games. Actually just play them on actual hardware

RedRaven723

Has anyone in the UK received their N64 controller today? I'm still waiting on mine.

Edited on by RedRaven723

RedRaven723

GameOtaku

@1UP_MARIO
Problem with that is no new games are being added. Star Tropics is still unavailable on 3ds for some inane reason (though by the same token Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3 still haven’t appeared on nso) among others.

Sony had the best cross buy/progression from my experience with psp and vita. Everything (with only one or two things) transferred over to the vita from psp and those that didn’t I could transfer to my pc and add to my vita. Best of all you could do the same across all of Sony’s consoles and handhelds!

GameOtaku

1UP_MARIO

@GameOtaku it’s because it’s a old console. Just play them on actual hardware if you have access. The main reason to buy a switch is to play switch games and the rest are bonuses.

I’m not really a fan of virtual console as I like to play everything on actual hardware. I’ve mainly bought the expansion pass to mess around with playing Mario kart 64 online with friends. It’s more to play actual switch games online and cloud backup and it’s super cheap

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

GameOtaku

@1UP_MARIO
Prices of retro games are high. Finding the games in the wild is also a shot in the dark. Virtual Console was a godsend. Mega Man 5 runs loose now for around $100 loose and it’s less than 5 on 3ds vc. See my point? Earthbound too is $10 on 3ds vc and what $500 loose?

GameOtaku

1UP_MARIO

@GameOtaku so if you got it then play it on those. I would have just suggested a everdrive to play on original hardware

GameOtaku

@1UP_MARIO
I’ve got most of the systems but the games are an issue. I don’t know about you but being out hundreds of dollars for one game when you can purchase it for less on vc is more ideal.

GameOtaku

1UP_MARIO

@GameOtaku I don’t think you’ve read what I wrote but enjoy gaming.

skywake

@GameOtaku ok, let's break this down again because I'm a sadist. Somehow I think this is falling on deaf ears...

Firstly yes, I pay more for music and movies physically than I do for streaming services. The subscription is cheaper. If value was my concern I wouldn't be buying BluRays, Vinyl and CDs. But value isn't my concern here, it's yours! I share Netflix, Disney+ (and Star) and Spotify accounts. Works out I pay $120AU/year. I pay for the exclusive shows, early access and to be able to listen/watch from a larger library. But a new album on Vinyl is $30-60AU so... I spent more on vinyl

For the VC? Similar story but here I stopped buying into VC once it became clear cross-buy wasn't going to be a thing. But let's be real about the prices. The cheapest titles on VC were $7AU, the most expensive $17AU. The single NSO membership with expansion is $60AU/year. Which means if you brought more than 10 games a year at a maximum you were spending more, less than 10 if you got into N64. And sorry but the deals were not frequent enough to cut that cost by much

You brought 80 titles on 3DS..... fair to say you were buying more than 10 VC games per year. Therefore NSO is a better value for you from a pure $/year perspective. Now if you value other things more? More power to you. I get it. I'm the dude who spends $100s on vinyl despite having Spotify. Just.... don't even bother trying to tell me NSO is more expensive than the VC was

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

OdnetninAges

I apologize if this has already been talked about, but I have a question regarding upgrading from a base subscription.

My current base membership ends in March. If I were to upgrade to the Expansion Pack with the discount today, would my renewal date be moved from March 2022 to October 2022? Or would I just be paying for the period up until March, and then would pay a full $50 in March for a year from then? I assume it's the former, but I just want to make sure before I make a decision. (I don't know if I'll be grabbing the Expansion Pass right away, but I would at least like to have it for my winter break.)

Console Usernames: Rc

HIGH QUALITY VIDEO GAME RIPS

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."

My Anime List

Nintendo Network ID: Ages97

GameOtaku

@skywake
Prices are cheaper here in the states. On 3ds nes games are $5, Gameboy/Color $4, SNES $8. That’s not counting when they were discounted or given as preorder bonuses. Also I didn’t need to check in weekly to keep my games. On NSO you have to keep paying the same amount regardless if they add any games to it.

You also buy games too right? I bought other games on the 3ds other than VC. I’m sure you did too. But they filled in the gap and allowed me to play games that are still out of my reach. I want to play the games I want without any interruptions to access them. Kinda ridiculous to argue price of VC when you buy $60 new releases or pricier special editions.

On top of that there is one other small detail you seem keen to forget. I have NO INTERNET! So I don’t PLAY ONLINE! Switch online is a online gaming subscription! It’s as useless as teats on a boar hog!

GameOtaku

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic