Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 1,541 to 1,560 of 2,232

Matroska

Off to a flying start, failing to emulate things that have been emulatable on other platforms for decades. And those emulators were free and made by amateur fans, not paid products made by Nintendo itself.

https://clips.twitch .tv/LivelyBlatantWallabyMrDestructoid-h7v7IzNg-t5rJLCS

Edit: Nintendo Life's auto-embedding thing is breaking the top link. I've separated it into two halves to hopefully bypass that. You can copy it and delete the space in between "twitch" and ".tv" and it should work.

Edited on by Matroska

Matroska

Matroska

@Eel There are two videos. For me the bottom one is embedded as normal but the top one says that Twitch.tv won't let it be embedded but there's a button to click to watch it directly on the Twitch site.

Untitled

Matroska

Eel

On my phone I can’t see the first one at all, and the second one only shows a “play” button that does nothing.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Matroska

@Eel Ah okay, I checked the first one. Nintendo Life's forums turn things into embedded videos by default and that's broken the top Twitch link. I've put a space into the URL so now you can copy-paste it into your address bar and delete the space. That should work. As for the bottom one, I can do the same here for you:
https://webm .red/X5rc
Just copy-paste and delete the space. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Edit: There's more related videos going up. This is about the really bad input lag.

Looks like there's a lot of work to be done to get it to the level of free emulators.

Edited on by Matroska

Matroska

gcunit

If that's input lag, I sure as hell don't give a **** about input lag. Looks pretty instantaneous to me.

Just ONE space left in the family group (with N64, Mega Drive & ACNH dlc expansion tier) I setup. Email me (see my sig) if you want in. No geographical restrictions.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

GameOtaku

@skywake
Like many are so quick to say if digital us the future then certain things should be expected. Cross buy and backwards compatibility should be a thing on Switch. The Gameboy series was a prime example of how physical cross buy and BC should be so going forward to digital purchases shouldn’t be that big of a stretch. Instead you must subscribe to a service for online gaming to play a small sampling of games you may or may not have any interest in. Why would it be so bad to have a purchase option for individual games on the service? Would it really be as bad as you think?

GameOtaku

skywake

I gave Mario Kart 64 a spin and if anything I'm kinda impressed with the emulation. Very clear compared to what I'm used to for N64 titles. Then again the previous experience I have with N64 was the Wii VC, which was 480p over component, and the Wii U VC which was generally compressed 480p on the GamePad over WiFi.

@GameOtaku
Cross buy on the Switch from Wii/Wii U/3DS isn't a thing, that's just the reality. No amount of ranty posts on the interblags is going to change that fact. And given the reality of it not being a thing I'd much rather pay for a subscription vs repurchasing a library. Because it's just a better solution given the reality we live in

And in terms of the purchase option? Dude, I've litterally said three times I wouldn't be opposed to them adding it. If they added it would mean people such as yourself could give Nintendo more money. Which reduces the cost of the service for everyone AND stops you ranting on forums annoying everyone. Win win.

Also, this suggestion that NSO is a "small sampling" is a bit of a joke......

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

GameOtaku

@skywake
That’s not to say it couldn’t be implemented if they would just pull the trigger and let it happen especially since you can already attach your 3ds and WiiU to the Switch account.

Had everyone stuck to their convictions and not supported nso in the first place we would’ve been in a much better position now imho.

GameOtaku

skywake

@GameOtaku
Doesn't matter how much you wish it it's not going to change anything. As a consumer we make decisions based on what options are infront of it, you can't purchase things that aren't available for sale. Dream about cross-buy between Wii U and Switch all you want, it's never happening. The realistic options are buy yet again on Switch or pay for a subscription service. I go for subscription, paying for it again is dumb.

But just backtracking a bit to tear down your last point about NSO being a small library again. Across the Wii, Wii U VC and the SNES Mini I have brought outright 33 classic games digitally. Most of them multiple times. I worked out at one point I had spent more on than I would have if it was a NSO subscription during those years so it's about on par in terms of cost here

In any case, of those 33 games 12 aren't on NSO. Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG, Super Castlevania, Street Fighter 2, Secret of Mana, Paper Mario, Mega Man X, Final Fantasy VI, Earthbound, Contra 3 and Alex Kidd in Miracle World. So there are a few, mostly third party titles. However most of those titles are readily available via other means. Infact all bar Alex Kidd and Paper Mario were on the SNES Mini and that's why they're on this list. Paper Mario is coming to the NSO expansion next, so it won't be on this list for long. Then there's Alex Kidd, Mega Man X, FF, Contra and Street Fighter I'm fairly sure are available on the Switch eShop

But on the other side? There are 109 games available to me on NSO that I didn't purchase digitally somewhere else. Games that basically by definition I wouldn't have taken a risk on purchasing. This isn't a small library of content.

Probably the bigger gap is stuff that I have original copies of that never made it to the VC, NSO or the mini consoles. Unirally, Mario Paint, Tetris & Dr Mario, The Lost Vikings probably high on that list. Stunt Race FX used to be high on that list but guess what? NSO got it despite years of it never coming to any VC service. IMO those are the games that are missing... and the VC did a worse job of filling that gap

Edited on by skywake

GameOtaku

@skywake
There’s around 300 games (roughly give or take) available VC across WiiU and 3ds. On my 3ds I have 80 across the Gameboy family line, game gear and nes offerings. I’ve not once lost access to them compared to the monthly subs I got with gold coins which I lost access to every other week full of games I had no interest in nor did I play online a single second. Subscription services like this are scams.

GameOtaku

norwichred

Is anyone else unable to reorganise the games on the N64 and mega drive apps?

You can do it on the NES and SNES and the option is written on the options for MD and N64 but you can’t actually reorganise.

norwichred

skywake

@DarthNocturnal
Yes, and that's kinda my point. With few exceptions most of the titles that were sold on VC or existed on the mini consoles but aren't on NSO are available elsewhere. Mostly because they're third party titles that are being sold elsewhere. I don't see the need to whine about not being able to get titles like Alex Kidd, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy or Mega Man when they exist on the eShop already

@GameOtaku
And you still have your 3DS? .... so what's the issue? And again if you brought over 80 titles on the VC you spent literally hundreds of dollars on the VC even if you scrounged every discount. You have no foot to stand on in terms of arguing that NSO is a "scam" in comparison. The VC was only cheaper than NSO for people who brought ~5 classic games a year. Once you get into the 10s of games per year you were spending more than anyone is on NSO even with the expansion

Edited on by skywake

DannyBoi

Not getting this at all. The emulation is quite bad from the looks of that video. Even my laptop could emulate better than this.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

Ryu_Niiyama

@norwichred You can reorganize the apps on the N64 and Genesis apps. At least the NA and JPN ones. I don’t know about EU.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

Games have ran great for me, so [shrug]

No input lag, no issues whatsoever. I haven't played Zelda, but I'm not going to. I'd rather play the 3DS version.

So far I've played Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64 (no intention of playing this version but wanted to test claims of "lag" which there wasn't any), Sin and Punishment and Yoshi's Story. All were excellent.

Oh, and Sin and Punishment is so good. Its more similar to Star Successor on the Wii than I expected.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

GamingBread

@JaxonH No issues? Hmmm... I gotta think about this.

I am a piece of bread, and I love playing 3D World.
The Switch is one of the best consoles ever.
I'm guessing people will make a lot of jokes about my username.

Friend Code: SW-0185-9912-2805

JaxonH

@GamingBread
None.

I'm not saying there aren't any. I'm just sharing my personal experiences. And in the 4 games I've played thus far, every single one was quality. Make of that what you will.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

GameOtaku

@skywake
Those games I bought in vc were over the course of several years. Some were preorder bonuses and others were from gift cards and many times I bought them when a sale was ongoing. Games I’ve paid for aren’t going away. The sub cuts you off every other week due to check in. The sub also gives you games you’d never play which take up space when they update. Right now most of the Genesis games are available by other means save for one or two. Same with some nes and snes titles on Switch.

The math you give doesn’t add up. A one time payment beats an ongoing subscription. So far if I did my math right that’s $60 if you bought a year sub since it’s launch 3 years ago. Now with the $50 year only expansion that’s $150 in 3 years! $210 in just that amount of time vs what you could pick and choose and not lose (hey I made a rhyme! I’m a poet and didn’t know it!).

Just think of how many subs you would have to well sub to to get all media you want compared to outright purchasing it. It’s only more expensive in the short term but long term you are saving a bundle.

GameOtaku

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic