Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 1,421 to 1,440 of 2,230

dionysos283

I think Nintendo is deliberately overshooting the price to test how much money they can pull out of its customers with as little content as possible. My hope is that they are forced to steadily add content to keep people inside the Expansion Pass.

For me personally it's too little value for the price. But let's see what they'll add in the coming months.

dionysos283

Xyphon22

If you factor in the DLC, it's only an additional $20 for the family plan, which is about what I expected. After the first year, though, it's either $45 or you're paying $25 per year for the DLC rather than once. So hopefully by then they will have added more stuff to make it worthwhile, but at least the first year seems good (if you want the DLC, which we do).

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

BabyYoda71

Here’s some math: the original NSO is $20US for a single user for a year, the expansion pass is $50US a year. So $30 more. People wanted it to be $10 BEFORE it was announced AC would be included, which costs $25. So, if we be realistic and say you most likely wouldn’t play the AC DLC for more than a year, if you only bought the Expansion Pack for one year, the AC adds $20 to the price, saving you $5 assuming you use the DLC for the whole year, which is unlikely. So yeah, it’s a bit of a ripoff, especially if you don’t have ACNH to begin with.

I honestly hate this pricing SO MUCH, because I don’t plan on buying the Expansion Pass until Majora’s Mask is added, whenever that would be. But if I buy the AC DLC before then, I would be paying $30 for a few N64 games, only for a year. I would be REBUYING the DLC even though I already have it, WHICH IS SOO STUPID. They should have an in between tier that just has N64 and Genesis games, because this sucks.

To be fair, if you have a family pass, and split the price between 8 people who all get the content (just under $4 each), it’s still an amazing deal.

Have they said how much it will cost for a single month, or can you only buy it for a year? All the prices I’ve seen online have been for a year.

Edited on by BabyYoda71

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

Grumblevolcano

@Xyphon22 It's already confirmed the only way to permanently get the DLC is to buy it outright. Via the subscription you lose access when your subscription elapses.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BabyYoda71

@Eel I also thought that it might add DLC later, because if this was all, it would only be worth it for people who like ACNH. For some reason, the first game that came to my mind was WarioWare. That seems like a game that could have DLC, and this Expansion Pack would be a cool place to put it.

Another thing I’ve been thinking about for a while (I may have already said it here but I don’t think I did) is that they might have exclusive Game Trials. Like, maybe first-party games could have a Game Trial only for those with an Expansion Pack, or the same Game Trials as normal, but they are two weeks long or something like that. There’s of course also the chance they’ll just move all Game Trials exclusively to it and not have any for normal subscribers, but I’ll stay optimistic.

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

WoomyNNYes

Wow. ......so overpriced. I think the NSO expansion pricing may hurt Nintendo's stock. (edit: didn't do much of anything.)

I'm skipping the nso expansion at that price.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Xyphon22

@Grumblevolcano I know. I was just saying that it's a good price for the first year at least. After that it is pretty bad unless they add more stuff.

Xyphon22

Sunsy

@WoomyNNYes Same. Right now, I pay the $20/year plan just to play with friends online who don't play PC games and a couple of NES and SNES games. $50/year is too much considering I already have Sega Genesis Classics on Switch, which has all the Genesis games that interests me (to add insult, it does have online play too).

Besides, if I want the Animal Crossing DLC, I'll just buy it alone. I feel bad it's being bundled since people who just want the N64 and Genesis games, have to still pay $50 for DLC they probably won't use or don't have the game for.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

GamingBread

Is Sonic 3 going to come to Genesis Online?

I am a piece of bread, and I love playing 3D World.
The Switch is one of the best consoles ever.
I'm guessing people will make a lot of jokes about my username.

Friend Code: SW-0185-9912-2805

Snatcher

I'm sorry but thats asking waaaaay to much money, I mean dude, PS plus gives me twice of that for that price, And Xbox will even give me new games, Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, giving us the finger as always.

I really want to play paper mario, so idk.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Snatcher

You know what, I think I will just stick with the emulated version of paper mario, I least I can play it that way.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

PoliticallyIncorrect

That new subscription price is bonkers. It should come with a complimentary tub of Vaseline because really, they're just screwing you imo.

The Other White Meat

Xyphon22

I just read an article (sorry I don't have a link, it was just one that my phone sent me) in which Emily Rogers says the price is almost assuredly due to licensing issues. Apparently, Sega is making a lot of money from this because they were mad at how little they made from the Wii VC, and that is why they did not support the VC on Wii U at all. And if they had to pay Sega so much money, imagine what they had to pay Microsoft to get Rare games.

Xyphon22

Snatcher

@Xyphon22 Ya I'm sorry but no, Even if that was the case Nintendo should have just dropped Sega from the deal if it was that high, Nintendo is just being greedy.

PoliticallyIncorrect

@Xyphon22 I read about that on LRG's Discord this morning. I wonder how true it is. If it is true, I'd rather they went with TurboGrafx16 instead.

Edited on by PoliticallyIncorrect

The Other White Meat

Snatcher

Grumblevolcano

I think the real reason is because Microsoft (and later Sony) made it acceptable in the first place.

• DS/Wii - Free online though so was PS3 (the only one with paid online was Microsoft with Xbox/Xbox 360)
  • 3DS/Wii U - Free online though so was PS3 (see above, 3DS and Wii U came out before PS4 and XB1 were announced)
  • Switch - Free online initially because Wii U flopped but became gradually more expensive as the Switch became a gigantic success. PS4, XB1, PS5 and Series X|S all have paid online at $60 a year.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Varkster

Nintendo: Add GBA, GBC, many more N64 games, maybe Mother 3 and some other impossible to find games and then I will justify the price for myself and dip my foot in. In Australia this is a hell of a lot of money that I'm not willing to spend at the moment. I was lucky enough to have a stable full-time job during the rough past 2 years but a lot of people lost theirs (yes I'm in Melbourne, the world's most locked down city, still in lockdown lmao) and I can't imagine anybody looking at this kind of price and thinking it's reasonable in any way shape or form.

Yes, if you divide it into months then it doesn't look all that bad, but why can't we then get a monthly option? Also, the inclusion of the DLC boggles my mind. I don't understand why we can't dispose of all that and make it $15-20 a year instead.

I don't act entitled ever, because Nintendo doesn't owe me anything. Video games are a luxury but there are many other things to be spending hard-earned money on and this ain't it. I'll re-think this when they make a better deal. In its current state, this is bad.

Varkster

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic