Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 121 to 140 of 2,232

-Green-

I don't think so. Nintendo had a fair amount of time to change stuff considering it was supposed to launch around the launch of the switch, yet it still doesn't look much better. They even doubled down on the app.

At this point, I think it's fair to accept that Nintendo simply doesn't care much about it, and likely want to do the bare minimum.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

DannyBoi

@FaeKnight Does the 15th September sound right to you, or to early?

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

Alantor28

Ya know, the comment sections about the Switch's Online Service in each article about it cancerous. Makes me wonder if those who complain about it actually have working brains.

They claim Nintendo is being evil and anti-consumer and behind the times, but me and possbily others doubt that's true. If anyone is evil and anti-consumer, it's those who point the finger at Nintendo as if they destroyed something they deeply cared about.

I have been a longtime Nintendo fan and always will be, but never in my life have I encounter such foolishness in articles regarding the Nintendo Switch's Online Service. But then again, it's the Internet and it can be a cancerous place.

I am hoping we get to see the Nintendo Switch's Online Service launch on the week of September 10, but that's just wishful thinking. Who knows? I could be right or not.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698

GrailUK

I don't mind some games not having cloud save. The only thing I'm not happy with is the native voice chat situation. Everything else seems fun.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

FaeKnight

They said they will announce a start date via twitter, but there's been silence to my knowledge. All we know right now is "second half of September". But not when in that 'second half'.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

DannyBoi

@Alantor28 Doubt it mate. 10th is not second half of September. And yeah, you are right about the Switch Online threads being full of bad comments:(.

HobbitGamer

This is purely selfish, I’m aware; I hope that no news for upcoming online isn’t shared Thursday 13. There’s a Cat 4 heading my way and I won’t really get to the game news haha.

Whenever the service turns on and folks lose free online play, my only response to their complaints will be an Amazon link for a sub.

AuntieM always has the best article snacks.

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Grumblevolcano

I think it'll depend on the 10 hour eshop maintenance, Nintendo planned it for the 3rd but then delayed it to the 10th. If the maintenance gets delayed again, I think we can be sure that there was paid online info in the Direct and so future timings probably depend upon when the Direct is rescheduled.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Anti-Matter

@Grumblevolcano
Ow....
That's why there were some Wii U e-shop games disappeared when i tried to find specific titles several hours ago.

Anti-Matter

iKhan

I'm not buying this any more. I can hold off on Splatoon 2.

Maybe this might even prevent me from buying Smash Bros.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

redd214

I was on board with the subscription mainly for the cloud saves. This is really a bone headed decision by nintendo. If other companies have had this figured out for years it's indefensible that they cannot regardless of how much it is imo. I do want to revisit some of the NES games for some nostalgia but I really hope there are some surprise features they haven't revealed yet. I doubt it but these details will make it a tough sell for some clearly.

redd214

FaeKnight

The cloud save thing is... somewhat understandable if the games in question don't use a centralized server for online multiplayer. It's annoying, but understandable.

FaeKnight

Satomii

It's so hard to argue Nintendo Switch Online when it's just the cost of two trips to Subway.

I know it may not be this almighty service with all the features their competitors have, but...for twenty bucks, I'll hardly notice that. Especially if you are on a Family Plan - then it's even cheaper.

Satomii

3DS Friend Code: 3282-2451-2722 | Nintendo Network ID: Ritsu_Tainaka

Octane

FaeKnight wrote:

The cloud save thing is... somewhat understandable if the games in question don't use a centralized server for online multiplayer. It's annoying, but understandable.

But wasn't the argument that we should be paying for their (dedicated) servers? So if there aren't any dedicated servers to begin with, what's the point of a paid service?

Octane

FaeKnight

No, the argument basically boils down to "it should be free, it should always be free because it currently is free."

The counter argument is "The general public voted with their wallets years ago, it's kind of too late now to try preventing Nintendo from adopting the industry standard of paid online multiplayer on their new console that's doing well. And you were told up front that you're experiencing a trial, and will be expected to pay once they roll out the paid version of multiplayer."

No where does it say that the paid service will be using the money to fund having dedicated servers for any given game. Nor does it promise anywhere that there will be dedicated servers. All that's promised is "you'll be able to play online multiplayer if you subscribe." It's a subtle difference, but there is a difference between the two.

FaeKnight

HobbitGamer

Digital crack. The first hit is free.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

DannyBoi

Isn't thsre 10hr maintence on the Eshop today?

FaeKnight

Donno, where would you find out?

And just cause there's a long maintenance period today, doesn't automatically mean that Nintendo Online goes live today, just that the back end is being worked on today to get things ready.

FaeKnight

Grumblevolcano

The maintenance is still there:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/netinfo/en_GB/index.html

But delays can happen as close as a few hours before the maintenance is meant to happen. The maintenance won't activate the paid online service but there'll probably be a system update during/straight after the maintenance to prepare for it.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FaeKnight

Looking over the scheduled maintenance list, it's looking like they are gearing up for around the 15th or 16th to be when Online launches. On the 12th there's maintenance which will affect online capability of "some soft"

FaeKnight

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic