Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 2,230

FaeKnight

Remember, internet. And so far I've not seen any way for Switch multiplayer to let you pick who you're playing with other then "we're all using the same console" or "it's local wireless".

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Eel

Most games with online multiplayer let you organize sessions and invite specific players.

Not every switch game is Splatoon 2.

I can tell you with a good level of confidence that Nintendo won't release these NES games with an "anyone could join, you can't choose" model for the online multiplayer.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

FaeKnight

None of the multiplayer games I've got let you do that. Even FX Pinball 3 will match you with random people if you go online. Remember that the Switch isn't like other consoles. Nintendo doesn't seem to really know how to do online multiplayer that well. Or how to let you communicate with your friends list

FaeKnight

Eel

I can tell you with absolute certainty that the switch is more than capable of organizing private multiplayer matches with friends.

It's a per-game basis thing. Some games are fine with a random matching system, other have more options. It's not a console-wide rule.

For example, I can go to Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate and open an online hub where only my friends can join, or go further and protect it with a password.

I can also load up Minecraft and play in an online map where my switch friends can join in. Or create a realm where only the people I invite are allowed to enter.

In Resident Evil Revelations I can start a raid hub and invite my switch friends or open it to the public.

Etc. You get the idea.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

FaeKnight

But it does seem to be a "first party game" rule. I haven't found a Nintendo title yet for either 3DS or Switch that lets you pick who you're playing with outside of local multiplayer. Which leads back to the fact that people can be jerks, and you'll often encounter people online who get their jollies by ruining other people's fun.

Edited on by Eel

FaeKnight

Eel

This is not a rule, it's not something that Nintendo does to all their games.

Mostly just competitive ones have open online modes, and even then it's usually one of multiple options. There’s very few Nintendo games that restrict you to playing with/against random people online.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Grumblevolcano

puNINTENDed wrote:

From everything we've seen, I think they need at least a few more weeks to work this out.

I think we were going to see more in the Direct that was delayed but while they delayed the Direct, they didn't delay everything else.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DannyBoi

Any idea on Launch date of online service people? My guess would be the 15th of September.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

FaeKnight

Check their twitter feed? That's where the launch date is suppose to (eventually) be announced.

EDIT: Now that my data limits have reset for the month I was able to do some more testing. Still not sure what was going on last month, but after ten races in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe I only used up about 0.5 gigs of data. And since I don't do online races that often to begin with, maybe I will be able to take advantage of the Online Service when it (eventually) goes live. $20 a year isn't that bad of a price. Far better then Xbox Live gold membership is, anyway. And I am interested in how the NES service will work out, as well as what games will be added over time.

Edited on by FaeKnight

FaeKnight

FaeKnight

I hope they launch the service soon so I can metaphorically say "Shut up and take my money" for the first year of service. It's already budgeted after all.

FaeKnight

Alantor28

I read an article about the Online Service only supporting cloud saves to games that they choose to support cloud saves and Splatoon 2 was among the games that will not have cloud saves.

I don't find an issue with it, but people need to get over it and stop complaining about it instead of moaning about it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698

HobbitGamer

@FaeKnight Glad the data ghost seems to have moved on for now!
@ReaderRagfish I, too, enjoy Balloon Fight. It reminds me of Joust and Jetpac. Have I mentioned to anyone yet how excited I am for Dr. Mario? Because I’m not sure I’ve made that clear this week.
@Alantor28 I guess it’s easier to complain when someone’s in a herd. If some folks now “Never buy it!” then that means less people clogging up my Smashpocalypse.

It’s just funny to me seeing some of the feigned indignation. It’s not like N ever said “$20 a year and we’ll give you cloud saves”. I don’t buy a new car and complain they’re trying to charge me $25k for yearly oil changes (that are a perk of buying from them). I paid for Live for 8 years, and I knew that I was paying for online multiplayer features. Messaging, party chat, cloud saves, free games, discounts; All that came later as a bonus to what I was paying for.

But, ya know. Peoples gots opinions.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

FaeKnight

Oh Doctor Mario, how I love and loath that game. Got it on my 3DS and every time I boot that sucker up intending on only a few minutes of playing... 8-12 hours seems to fly by.

FaeKnight

Grumblevolcano

@HobbitGamer So you believe that because Xbox Live started out very basic in 2002, it's ok for Switch online to be basic?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Eel

@ReaderRagfish I think the bottle in Dr. Wario is a bit smaller so that's a difference I guess.

As for my favorite NES game, that would be Yoshi for nostalgic reasons. Though my most played one is probably The Legend of Zelda.

Bloop.

FaeKnight

Out of curiosity, for those people whining about how Nintendo Online is less of a service then the competitors, did you look at what the other companies are advertising their service as?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-live-gold-membership-d...
Hmm, "online multiplayer", "games with gold", and "members only discounts". But keep in mind that those free games are often going to be cheep games, games that have been out for a few years, or ones that aren't selling well. Occasionally you'll get a big budget game like Sleeping Dogs or one of the older Assassin's Creed games. But more often it's budget games and poor selling games that nobody heard of.

Or how about Sony's Playstation Plus?
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-plus/

Once again the selling points for it are
*Online Multiplayer Access
*Free Games (2 at a time, but only temporary access)
*Members Only Discounts

Nintendo Online's service list isn't that much different.
*Online Multiplayer Access
*Free Games while a paid member (20 NES games initially with more to be added at a later date)
*Member Only Discounts

I disregard the Nintendo Online app since that works with one game only, with no indications they will expand what games the app support. Lack of messaging, yeah I can understand hat complaint. But that's not a selling point for XBL Gold or PSN+ membership. Even people who aren't subscribers can use Messaging on those consoles. Lack of quality voice chat, okay I can kind of see this too. But to be honest, voice chat is usually handled by the game it's self, so I think this is gonna be a non-issue too. And not hearing whiny foul mouthed kids (and worse adults) cussing me out for daring to do something better then them is actually a selling point to me.

FaeKnight

HobbitGamer

I think it’s understandable that it doesn’t have all the things its competitors offers, for a portion of the cost. Unfortunate because I’m used to Xbox Live Gold, yes. I acknowledge that these are all features that have been around for years on XBL and PSN, but I also am aware that online offerings has never been a central theme to Nintendo. Microsoft made XBL a backbone for their product from the outset, and Sony eventually saw the advantage in it and adapted. Nintendo is...different.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Grumblevolcano

It's the deeper details that makes Nintendo Switch Online a lesser service. There aren't exceptions for cloud saves on the other platforms, the quality of the online experience is better on other platforms, there's messaging, party chat, ingame chat (on Switch there's only ingame chat in Fortnite), the ability to invite friends to a lobby, friend requests don't use an outdated system like friend codes, etc.

As we get closer to Nintendo Switch Online launch, something very bad about it comes out. Last year was the mobile app, this year is cloud saves not being for all games. Will the backlash be enough for another delay? I really hope so.

Grumblevolcano

1UP_MARIO

I really hope so too.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic