Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 1,721

puNINTENDed

From everything we've seen, I think they need at least a few more weeks to work this out.

puNINTENDed

FaeKnight

I'm slightly annoyed that they still haven't announced the other 10 games. There's just a graphic which carefully only shows the box art for the 10 announced games.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

HobbitGamer

Yeah I’m wondering what those are, too. I’m still getting the sub, despite all the naysaying and grandstanding in the recent article section. Cloud save was never a selling point in my eyes. It was the fact that it’s going to be needed for things like....SSBU. And I get some NES games I’ll dabble with. In 3 years, it’s the cost of one retail game. I’m sure in 3 years there’s a game I could do without

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Aozz101x

Call me crazy, I'm kinda curious how the Original Zelda will be played with online.

im creep out with thoese eyes... :P

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Nintendo Network ID: Aozz101x | Twitter:

FaeKnight

Aozz101x wrote:

Call me crazy, I'm kinda curious how the Original Zelda will be played with online.

The phraseology for that could have been better. That said, maybe something like the old Nintendo Broadcast Zelda they did in Japan on the SNES?

FaeKnight

Eel

Last time I heard, apparently traditionally single player games let you switch players or something like that.

So you can play while someone else watches like some sort of personal livestream, or "pass the controller" to the person and watch them play.

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

FaeKnight

For games like Super Mario Bros, sure. But a pure single player game like Zelda?

FaeKnight

Eel

Well yes. You "pass the controller".

Now the other person is controlling Link while you watch.

Imagine this: it's the 80's, you're 6 years old, you can't kill ten Darknuts in a dungeon room, so you give your cool older brother the controller and he beats them for you.

Now fast forward some decades. You're doing the same thing but over the internet.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

FaeKnight

And hoping some random person doesn't decide to use up all your consumable resources then kill your character just to be a jerk? Yeah, I can't see that going well.

Edited on by Eel

FaeKnight

Eel

Why would you be playing with a random person to begin with...?

Bloop.

My dead channel.

FaeKnight

Remember, internet. And so far I've not seen any way for Switch multiplayer to let you pick who you're playing with other then "we're all using the same console" or "it's local wireless".

FaeKnight

Eel

Most games with online multiplayer let you organize sessions and invite specific players.

Not every switch game is Splatoon 2.

I can tell you with a good level of confidence that Nintendo won't release these NES games with an "anyone could join, you can't choose" model for the online multiplayer.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

FaeKnight

None of the multiplayer games I've got let you do that. Even FX Pinball 3 will match you with random people if you go online. Remember that the Switch isn't like other consoles. Nintendo doesn't seem to really know how to do online multiplayer that well. Or how to let you communicate with your friends list

FaeKnight

Eel

I can tell you with absolute certainty that the switch is more than capable of organizing private multiplayer matches with friends.

It's a per-game basis thing. Some games are fine with a random matching system, other have more options. It's not a console-wide rule.

For example, I can go to Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate and open an online hub where only my friends can join, or go further and protect it with a password.

I can also load up Minecraft and play in an online map where my switch friends can join in. Or create a realm where only the people I invite are allowed to enter.

In Resident Evil Revelations I can start a raid hub and invite my switch friends or open it to the public.

Etc. You get the idea.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

FaeKnight

But it does seem to be a "first party game" rule. I haven't found a Nintendo title yet for either 3DS or Switch that lets you pick who you're playing with outside of local multiplayer. Which leads back to the fact that people can be jerks, and you'll often encounter people online who get their jollies by ruining other people's fun.

Edited on by Eel

FaeKnight

Eel

This is not a rule, it's not something that Nintendo does to all their games.

Mostly just competitive ones have open online modes, and even then it's usually one of multiple options. There’s very few Nintendo games that restrict you to playing with/against random people online.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

Grumblevolcano

puNINTENDed wrote:

From everything we've seen, I think they need at least a few more weeks to work this out.

I think we were going to see more in the Direct that was delayed but while they delayed the Direct, they didn't delay everything else.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DannyBoi

Any idea on Launch date of online service people? My guess would be the 15th of September.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

FaeKnight

Check their twitter feed? That's where the launch date is suppose to (eventually) be announced.

EDIT: Now that my data limits have reset for the month I was able to do some more testing. Still not sure what was going on last month, but after ten races in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe I only used up about 0.5 gigs of data. And since I don't do online races that often to begin with, maybe I will be able to take advantage of the Online Service when it (eventually) goes live. $20 a year isn't that bad of a price. Far better then Xbox Live gold membership is, anyway. And I am interested in how the NES service will work out, as well as what games will be added over time.

Edited on by FaeKnight

FaeKnight

FaeKnight

I hope they launch the service soon so I can metaphorically say "Shut up and take my money" for the first year of service. It's already budgeted after all.

FaeKnight

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic