Forums

Topic: Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 1,650

Pizzamorg

Maybe, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try. Just text is awful, and inexcusable for what should be a triple A modern game.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Hayter

God I am repeating myself but the fighting type Team Star girl is extremly tough. The difficulty spike goes from "everyone dies to 1 hit" to "you die to 1 hit"

Edit: Just beat her because I got lucky and the AI got stuck spamming Shift Gear... rest of the game is a cakewalk, this is for some reason the only hard opponent. I wouldnt mind having a challenge, but this being the only one that requires any brain effort makes it look like a glitch.

Edited on by Hayter

Hayter

FishyS

Somehow I managed to spend tens of hours in the game and having finished quite a lot but without ever running into any team star compounds. Finally I accidentally ran into the Fairy compound (level 50) and soon after I ran into the dark compound (level 20). They were both easy, but at least I couldn't 1-shot the Fairy (truck?!) boss so it felt like an actual fight; I like the plot and characters, but clearing the super under-leveled tasks really feels like grunt work. If they make another game like this, they really need to figure out a sane way to do level scaling.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Sisilly_G

VoidofLight wrote:

I feel like pokemon games having voice acting could pretty much just end up being a disaster. I don’t trust gamefreak to not make the games sound like the horrid anime dub.

I wouldn't trust most developers/publishers in that regard. I wouldn't mind a little bit of dialogue here and there (particularly the opening cutscene for Sword/Shield, whose grandiosity was greatly undermined by Rose's miming), but with Scarlet/Violet, it completely works without.

It wouldn't hurt to include murmurs and grunts like they do for the Fire Emblem and Zelda games though.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg If they try and it's bad, then I'm not playing the series anymore. I'd much rather have silence than something like the anime. That's the primary reason I don't watch the anime.

Edit: Also, Gamefreak already stated why they aren't doing voice acting. It's because they would have to dub it in multiple languages, as they aren't content with dubbing it in one or two languages and letting that be all. Not to mention, they wanted to retain the feeling of making your own character voices up.

Edited on by VoidofLight

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

VoidofLight

@Sisilly_G There's some weirdness with SV, given the high fidelity, but I just can't trust Gamefreak with Voice Acting. Not after they've shown time and time again that they can't really even do basic options or toggles for things like difficulty. If they were to add in voice acting, they'd probably lock each dub under the version of the game you're playing, since otherwise "Children would accidentally pick the wrong language for Voice Acting, and get stuck". So if you wouldn't want to hear horribly cheesy english va, then you'd probably be stuck with having to learn Japanese or another language in order to hear the better dub.

Pizzamorg

VoidofLight wrote:

@Pizzamorg If they try and it's bad, then I'm not playing the series anymore. I'd much rather have silence than something like the anime. That's the primary reason I don't watch the anime.
Edit: Also, Gamefreak already stated why they aren't doing voice acting. It's because they would have to dub it in multiple languages, as they aren't content with dubbing it in one or two languages and letting that be all. Not to mention, they wanted to retain the feeling of making your own character voices up.

Your utter defeatism here is hilarious to me. Why try to make things better when there is a chance it could actually make things worse. What a way to live. I guess enough people must think like you wish is why Pokemon games still release in these terrible states but sell gangbusters anyway.

Dom_31

Starting to train up a Dachsbun for Charizard raids this week.
It's immune to fire and dragon, not weak to the potential solarbeam and I'm not sure what steel or poison type attacks Charizard can learn (in Gen 9) so I'm slightly less worried about those. Probably gonna run something with +SDef and look if assault west is in Scarlet/Violet.

I haven't gotten into the joy of online raids at level 5 and 6 yet but people seem to not be a fan lol
Hope I can do the Zard raids, leakers/playtesters said the lvl7 stuff is actually brutal.

Dom_31

Fizza

@Dom_31 Meanwhile, I still haven't beat the game yet.
Untitled

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Dom_31

@Fizza me neither haha
But I want to do charizard and I'm a bit paranoid about that potentially only unlocking in post game. I AM on the last battle on the third story rn but afaik there's still a fourth story beyond that and some more hoops to jump through to unlock 6 star raids.

Edited on by Dom_31

Dom_31

Dom_31

Oh man, the final act of the game is honest to good great. It's a shame that this game is held back by the technical stuff.
The final boss is easily the best fight in the series, just purely based on how badass it is.

Dom_31

VoidofLight

The thing is though, voice acting wouldn’t fix the state of the games? It adds nothing to the overall gameplay. It’s just a thing people grew accustomed to, and now feel as if they’re entitled to every single game doing it. @Pizzamorg

Edited on by VoidofLight

Pizzamorg

VoidofLight wrote:

The thing is though, voice acting wouldn’t fix the state of the games? It adds nothing to the overall gameplay. It’s just a thing people grew accustomed to, and now feel as if they’re entitled to every single game doing it. @Pizzamorg

No, it doesn't solve the technical problems, but it certainly adds to the overall experience, for sure. I dunno how you could even try and deny that. If God of War Ragnarok was entirely text based, silent in all of the cutscenes and everyone had completely static faces, of course that game wouldn't hit the same. And it feels so glaring to me for that reason, we are playing a 2022 open world game with this level of presentation? And the text, the lack of voice acting, the lack of animations, it is all part of that.

They could have assumedly unlimited budgets for these games if they wanted to, ask them to be better rather than being so defeatist.

Kermit1doesmath

When I played Violet I made everyone sound Scottish (before I refunded the game)

dysgraphia awareness human

Pizzamorg

I just can't believe we are having this conversation. I imagine people in like 1905 were having this exact conversation about adding sound to movies and the problems that could cause. But here in 2022, we already know how much actual motion capture and vocal performances add to a game, it isn't even a discussion.

Making defeatist statements like "well they could do it poorly" isn't anything. They could do anything poorly, but that doesn't mean you don't try to make things better.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

VoidofLight

Guess I’m odd then, since it doesn’t ruin the experience to me. I’m fine with characters not being voiced, and still get impact from cutscenes despite that. @Pizzamorg

Fizza

Just beat the final Titan.
Untitled
I am in utter shambles right now.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

MarkL1987

Turo is an evil SOB. Even worse than Cynthia

Favorite Switch games:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Mario Odyssey
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Friend code: SW-4428-8318-9398

XandertheWise

Just got Pokey Violet a few minute ago just now by Fed Ex.

Im curious about the new starter pokemon. are they any good? Which one is strong for the whole game?

also can I use Pokemon Home to put one starter in there after another then restart the game to have all 3 or there hasnt been an update for Pokemon Home where you can use it for Pokemon Violet/Scarlet?

XandertheWise

Pizzamorg

Talking about VA, I see Nintendo Life has actually done an article on this and found this little proof of concept. Massive spoilers so don't click on it if you haven't finished the game, but very clear evidence on how these narrative beats are inherently improved by the inclusion of voice acting alone.

XandertheWise wrote:

Just got Pokey Violet a few minute ago just now by Fed Ex.
Im curious about the new starter pokemon. are they any good? Which one is strong for the whole game?

also can I use Pokemon Home to put one starter in there after another then restart the game to have all 3 or there hasnt been an update for Pokemon Home where you can use it for Pokemon Violet/Scarlet?

In terms of starters, I picked the fire one and they were honestly a massive crutch. I dunno if they have balanced every starter around this, but at least from my experience with the fire starter, there were like four gyms I could basically just use the starter alone to beat because of super effective moves. One Elite Four member was the same. I kept them in my party so their level was generally always the highest in my team, so when it came to neutral battles with no clear type advantages, they could also steamroll as well. They honestly carried me through most of my playthrough. I think there were only a couple of gyms and external battles where I was actually at a type disadvantage and there I could swap in others.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic