Forums

Topic: Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet

Posts 1,321 to 1,340 of 1,650

Pizzamorg

I agree @EaglyTheKawaiiShika, as someone who seems more lukewarm on this game than many do in this thread, the one thing I will say is as far as Pokemon games go anyway, the story is actually pretty good. Especially during the final stretch, it hit me with a few "oh *****!" moments and just generally, a lot of the narrative threads start quite fluffy but end up going to some darker, more mature, places than I really remember Pokemon games going previously.

I know Pokemon games have always had darker elements, but they are generally unspoken or within the lore of something or whatever, it is usually the subtext, rather than just the text like it is here. And that is where the rub comes in, because I am playing this and thinking... if the story seems this solid just from completely silent text boxes, imagine how much better this all would be with actual modern voice acting and motion capture.

I used Ragnarok as a great inverse example of that, no spoilers, but when you really think about it not a lot of Ragnarok's ending makes a huge amount of sense, and one could argue that some of the narrative beats end a little anti-climatically. But you won't notice this at the time, because the combination of the voice acting, the motion capture, the game direction and general high level of presentation and polish completely sweep you into moments in a way I just don't think the game could if Kratos was just standing there with a fixed expression while I had to furiously press a button to skip through text boxes that just say "Boy!" in them.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

VoidofLight

I personally don't think that voice acting is needed at all to convey emotion or convey feeling. Many games are able to do without it, especially older ones. People who claim that they can't feel emotional moments hit hard in SV confuse me, since the characters don't just have stilted looks upon their face. They have facial expressions which convey the emotion the devs wanted them to convey, and they use specific language in the text to showcase that emotion as well. Even the rendered cutscenes showcase this. Hell, even SV nearly made me tear up towards the end.

Maybe I'm just a freak or something who doesn't understand the massive importance of voice acting in gaming, but for me I've never needed it for an enjoyable experience, and for Pokemon as a series, I'm glad that it lacks it.

Edited on by VoidofLight

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Pizzamorg

VoidofLight wrote:

Maybe I'm just a freak or something who doesn't understand the massive importance of voice acting in gaming, but for me I've never needed it for an enjoyable experience, and for Pokemon as a series, I'm glad that it lacks it.

I wouldn't go as far as to call you a freak, you are welcome to your own opinion. But I dunno how you can watch that clip Nintendo Life found that I posted above and go... nah, I think those cutscenes were better in the game when they were totally silent. Like if that is how you feel, then okay, but that is absolutely crazy to me.

Also, using examples like older games is in my opinion not a great argument, that wasn't a creative choice, it was a hardware limitation, I am sure there are loads of games from the 90s/early 00s where devs would love to give them say the Tactics Ogre treatment of providing full voice acting and other modernisations to them.

I also disagree with your other points to be honest. Sure, characters faces shift between different multiplayer emote expressions and that might be enough if it was an indie made by 5 people, but come on man, this is a 2022 open world triple AAA game, ask for more. This complacency is why Pokemon games don't evolve.

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg I've already stated my reasoning for why I'd rather Gamefreak not do voice acting. I can't be bothered to listen to the same cringe that the anime pushes out time and time again, and I'd rather just have silence than Gamefreak's alternative of forcing the player to play with horrible english voice acting. We all know they won't give options to switch the dubs like other companies.

Pizzamorg

EaglyTheKawaiiShika wrote:

@Pizzamorg you don’t even need that ragnaroks voice acting is so spot on it excells in the little things. Like arteus and mimir chatting trying to pass the time, or the brothers arguing about something stupid, or realizing what the poems are actually about. It’s the stuff like brock commenting on the items that you sell him and the humorous Kratos Journal entires like the Mimir one where he says mimir is useful and doesn’t need to be fed. The Devs had the support from the studio to make the game they wanted to make no cut corners because or deadlines. It’s not a perfect game but it’s so perfectly put together. Anyone can like Pokémon but it’s impossible to say to same about the amount of care put into it. Even if you love the core gameplay which is great no one should stop playing it because I’m grumpy.As for voice acting specifically its not necessary but it definitely makes the entertainment feel more premium. And I like to play games where it feels like the game is as good as it could have been

Yes! You learn so much about these characters and the world around them, and just generally draw deeper connections, just based on throwaway little conversations characters have while you play. I always said my favourite part of 2018 was Kratos and Mimir telling stories in the boat, and so much would have been lost if that was all told through text.

The applications for Pokemon are obvious in this context too, imagine the sense of wonder at the world if your character could actually express that. Imagine sharing your excitement for a new Pokemon with the character you are actually playing.

But as others have said, even if it was just key cutscenes were voiced, even that would be enough for me for now while they work on getting the game into a better place technically. That clip shows how just a few voiced scenes, even if the rest of it was text, could really go a long way in elevating narrative beats and building a deeper emotional connection with the player.

VoidofLight wrote:

@Pizzamorg I've already stated my reasoning for why I'd rather Gamefreak not do voice acting. I can't be bothered to listen to the same cringe that the anime pushes out time and time again, and I'd rather just have silence than Gamefreak's alternative of forcing the player to play with horrible english voice acting. We all know they won't give options to switch the dubs like other companies.

I dunno, I don't watch the anime. I do know the voice acting in that clip though is really excellent and I guess despite all the claims of how negative I am on here by people, I am still somehow more positive than you 😂

I don't wanna be so defeatist in assuming the worst of every improvement and innovation they could make, as I could really say that about anything they chose to change or add in a Pokemon game and I guess it is fans who do thing in that negative way are the ones holding this franchise back from true greatness based on sales, as Pokemon games haven't meaningfully evolved in decades. Sure, we are in an open world now, but mechanically it is still the same old stuff. In some regards I think that is fine, but in a lot of ways I think Scarlet is so much less than it could have been.

I guess if you don't want more, then fine that is your opinion and I guess millions agree with you based on sales, but I definitely do want more.

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg Eh, as someone who used to watch the anime before I couldn't take it anymore, it was grating on the nerves.

I'm also not really opposed to big gameplay changes being made that up the quality or feel of the game. I didn't despise Legends in how it did the noble fights, or how it changed the combat. I just don't really care for the addition of voice acting, since given how Gamefreak didn't give people options in the past, and how their target demographic is children, it's most likely just going to end up like the anime, given that reaches their target demographic. If we get voice acting, I'm mostly sure it won't be to the quality that the video you posted is.

Pizzamorg

VoidofLight wrote:

I didn't despise Legends in how it did the noble fights, or how it changed the combat.

This I can sorta agree with you on. As much as I appreciate Pokemon remaining a true turn based JRPG, and I hope this never changes as we don't have enough new turn based JRPGs coming out these days that aren't little indie homages to games past, it is kinda wild to me that SV include three quest lines, but they are all just identical turn-based battles at their core with no mechanical variation. I know you have like the raids on bases and the gym trials and stuff, but those are just distractions rather than meaningful mechanical innovations.

I personally thought the Noble fights were poorly designed, and poorly implemented (but let us not get into this again) but man did I miss them during the Titan storyline in SV. You got this giant ass super powered Pokemon variant, and it is just a straight up regular Pokemon battle like it was tossed out by any other trainer. Wtf?!

And as much as I didn't like Arceus overall, I thought both the more active role of the trainer in the world (like oh man, Pokemon can actually attack me and knock me out. Actual danger in a Pokemon game, so cool!) and the real time, gyro led, Pokemon catching (oh baby, hitting a backshot, the most satisfying feeling in the world. Please don't inneundo this) were both excellent innovations that kept me engaged with that game during its lowest moments.

The fact that all of that innovation is just straight missing for SV is so bizarre to me. It would seem like an obvious slam dunk to me to take all the mechanical improvements of Arceus and just stick 'em in a more traditional Pokemon game like SV. But I guess they had other ideas, and those ideas were... to roll everything backwards a few years, I guess?

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika are you trying to suggest to me a Pokemon game won't be improved by including a moment where a Pokemon goes 'Skiddee skidee skiddee'? 😂 But nah, I get what Void is saying, but I think bad voice acting (especially bad English dubbing) for things like videogames and anime is something we grew up with and think is still the norm, but generally it is pretty excellent these days, and it is the really bad ones that end up standing out (like the example you used) because that kinda stuff isn't the norm anymore, at least not when it comes to mainstream stuff, which I guess kinda warps the impression, because the good stuff has become the norm so it doesn't get talked about in the same way.

Although that English trailer for that new Fire Emblem game? YEEEEEEESH that was ROUGH. That really doesn't help my argument, thanks so much Nintendo 😂

Edited on by Pizzamorg

VoidofLight

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika The mouse cursor doesn't mean anything for competence, and people just keep bringing that up, when it's a overdone point at this point. Xenoblade 3, a game made by monolithsoft, also has this exact same issue in one of it's cutscenes. You can see where they accidentally left the cursor in.

Fizza

Nearing the endgame now: finished both Path of Legends and ⭐Starfall Street⭐ (gotta make sure to have the stars) and I just beat the final gym leader there today. Also got my final team sorted as well:

• Scovi the Skeledirge (my starter and my favourite of the Paldean trio)
  • Tsurf the Clodsire (loved Paldean Wooper from first sight and I love Clodsire even more)
  • Swish the Wugtrio (I absolutely adore this Pokemon and if no-one else is going to use him THEN SO SHALL I)
  • Jazz the Lokix (one of my favourite unused type combos finally exists on a badass Kamen Rider locust, you better believe I'm using this)
  • Oyle the Arboliva (was originally going to drop them due to preferring Smoliv and Dolliv design-wise but they saved me from total annihilation at the Ghost Gym and have only gotten more reliable ever since, I've warmed up considerably towards them)
  • Keysa the Kilowattrel (didn't have a clue for what my final team member was going to be until I noticed this gal sitting in my boxes before taking on the final Titan and I must say: smartest decision of my goddamn life, this mon is CRACKED)

Only thing left between me and Area Zero is the Pokemon League and I'm so damn excited.

Oh and I found a shiny Wattrel within 20 minutes of doing an outbreak after beating Grusha.
Untitled
So I'm pretty happy right now.

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Extreme-G (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Octane

TeaCatherine wrote:

@jump

jump wrote:

At least it doesn’t open with god creeping into children’s bedroom at night to steal them from their parents again!

What the heck is the context of this?

LMAO I thought you were talking about Ragnarok.

Octane

Octane

Finished the game and got most of the mon. It's one of the most broken and unfinished AAA games I've ever played. It's an embarrassment to be honest. I think the game hard crashed five of six times on me, amd that's unheard of. Visually it's garbage, at least the environments, even Legends looked better. Cutscenes are stiff and slow. And there are aomw glaring omissions from previous games. I'm absolutely baffled. Breeding is more tedious so far. I'll dapple in competitive for a bit, but I'm afraid it will be dominated by Paradox mon and the sub-legends. I kinda liked how Sword and Shield didn't have a ton of exceptionally strong mon to dominate the metagame. So I expect the competitive scene will be brief for me.

Octane

Buizel

Just finished the game and thought I'd share my feelings.

I really enjoyed it. Sure, the game is unpolished, the open world often somewhat barren, battles can be slow, and I wish they'd do more with the cities and give us more dungeon-like areas. I also wish they took a few more nods from Legends Arceus.

But I loved the freedom offered by the open world, and the general gameplay loop of exploring, catching Pokemon, defeating titans / taking down Team Star bases / defeating gym leaders. Plus Let's Go mode is a game changer.

Most of all, I really loved the story and characters this time round. It wasn't anything mind-blowing, and often in the past I've found Pokemon storytelling to do more harm than good (see: the intrusive story-telling of Sun/Moon, or the utter nonsense that is Sword/Shield) but this is arguably my favourite story-telling in the whole series. This is especially because of how it subverted my expectations for a Pokemon game - particularly with e.g. Team Star and the final beats of the story. It actually makes me excited for Pokemon stories moving forward, which is something I thought I'd never say.

All-in-all...I think this is the best experience I've had with Pokemon since the games went 3D.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

VoidofLight

Game is getting a proper patch, and yet people are still complaining. Nintendo acknowledged the performance issues, and even if this patch doesn't fix them, a later patch probably will, and yet people on social media and in the article comments are acting as if it's not even going to happen. There's really no pleasing the fans of this series.

Kermit1doesmath

@VoidofLight I quit looking at the Pokemon fandom, they're demanding, ungrateful, and entitled.

dysgraphia awareness human

VoidofLight

@Kermit1Pineapple They really are. I despise most of the pokemon fans at this point, since even if they get what they want, they're never content. They're ravenous and hungry for more and more, making more demands, and acting as if nothing is ever good enough.

FishyS

I finally got a real game bug! And it was adorable. I wish I had captured it. My Meowscarada was 100% inside a large goat-covered rock (you couldn't see it at all) and it just occasionally batted one paw out of the rock and disintegrated a goat.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Kermit1doesmath

@VoidofLight and the Pokemon company are trying their darndest to deliver to them. I feel bad for the game devs that work sleepless nights looking at a giant Pikachu.

dysgraphia awareness human

Eel

Will any of you do the upcoming charizard event? I’d like to join in to catch one, since I haven’t completed the game yet.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Anti-Matter

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika
At least Gamefreak needs to learn from Level-5 from their Yokai Watch games on PS4.
You can see Yokai Watch 4++ environments and camera angle are way much better than Pokemon Scarlet / Violet.
It was shame to see the unpopular games like Yokai Watch did better than recent Pokemon games.

Anti-Matter

Octane

@VoidofLight Don't count your chickens before they hatch. We'll see if it ''fixes'' the game. Whenever a big patch is announced for a broken game like this, it barely manages to address the most common issues, and often introduces new bugs. The game isn't magically going to be perfect.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic