Forums

Topic: Physical vs Digital my take 2 years later

Posts 101 to 120 of 125

SwitchForce

rallydefault wrote:

It's like a lot of things where the convenience may come with a price down the line. Maybe not now or even for a few years, but much later.

Did you watch the video of the Game Shop owner explaining the price fixing? And why they don't give Digital discount when your not buying but Renting the game only. Watch the video again actually just listen to how he describe it.

BabyYoshi12 wrote:

I normally prefer physical, but since COVID times, I like digital more. I hate waiting for hours to play my game. On the other hand, I hate getting up to change the cartridge. I’m divided!

What does COVID do to games nothing. You can Curb-Pickup or Mail delivery. That is a bad example when games can be Delivered. And watch the YT video about him describing how much effort it takes to just change carts. Also saved Digital games takes valuable SD space as you buy more Games/DLC you will find out it runs out faster then you think.

SwitchForce

ThanosReXXX

Mountain_Man wrote:

Especially if you're trying to play them on a hacked console. I remember when Nintendo dealt with the Homebrew Channel on the Wii (which, let's be honest, the vast majority of people used for playing cracked software) with an "update" that bricked the system if the channel was detected. People started complaining, and Nintendo sent out a notice saying that they would repair any bricked console for free if it did not have unauthorized software installed; otherwise, they would charge you full price for the repair. As I recall, almost nobody got their console repaired for free. The safest bet is to use emulators on your PC.

@Mountain_Man That's largely, if not completely irrelevant these days. I've owned a soft-modded Wii for many years, and all it took to counter Nintendo's measures, is to install a brick-prevention app, from which you can simply redo the softmod, in case the console does somehow brick. But it never does, and the latest softmod is laced with all kinds of counter-measures, and seeing as the Wii isn't receiving any more updates, no one using a modded Wii is at risk anymore. Same goes for the Wii U, and when the time comes, the Switch will more than likely see similar means becoming available.

I've never hacked my Wii U though, and I've no desire to hack my Switch either. The Wii was actually the first (and last) ever console I modded. Initially, I only did it because I wanted to be have a convenient way to play my considerable GameCube collection (146 titles) by running them from a hard drive, instead of having to dig up all those discs from my closet, every time I wanted to play any of these games.

Only after some time, did I decide to experiment with putting emulators on there, and along the way, I had so much fun tinkering with that and getting each and every one of them working as good as possible, that it has now become my ultimate retro box, which is also the main reason that it's still connected to the TV.

I have emulators on there for NES, SNES, Sega 8 & 16 bit, Game Boy/Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Atari 2600, Colecovision, PC Engine/Turbografx-16, Neo Geo, N64, PSX and BoR Engine games, all running pretty smoothly, with the odd exception here or there.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Heavyarms55

I used to be solidly in the physical camp. My main reason was that having a physical game meant I could pick up and play the same game, years later without issue.

But in the present day, game save data is on the system, not the cartridge. And the majority of games get significant updates and patches post-release and that data is on the system too now.

Now the main reason I'll buy physical has been reduced to simply saving storage space. Because the Switch relies on SD cards, it fills up fast, and even with most of my collection being physical, more than half, I've still managed to fill up a 400GB card. Had I bought them all digital I'd likely have needed a 1tb card long before this.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Wallax1992

I’ve bought all physical copies for my Switch, and my main reason was that I regretted buying digital on my PS3 because I couldn’t transfer/download them onto my PS4. As time has gone on, like many others here, I find swapping the cartridges really annoying for some reason.

Maybe it’s because with smartphones you’re used to just having all your apps there to press to open whenever you want, and the shift from physical media to that has made it more annoying to get up & swap cartridges on a portable system? I don’t remember finding it annoying to swap PS1/2 discs when I was younger. Maybe the fact the cartridges are so small adds to that.

However, I am currently thinking of selling all my physical copies to purchase the digital copies, but then I’m only thinking short term convenience over long term nostalgia, if I find the system in my attic one day etc. I also find it a hassle to try and sell them as well.

I don’t have an issue with digital goods. I purchase films and music from iTunes still, and I know that those files can be moved from one of my Apple devices to another future-released device with no issue (when they had DRM too - most iTunes Store content is DRM free now), and I can back them up myself as well as have them tied to my account.

If gaming was the same as iTunes, I would be all digital probably, but most systems aren’t backwards compatible & you can’t move the file to the next system. I still have my PS3 because some games on there I can’t do anything with except store them on that system (I don’t even play them, but I don’t like throwing stuff away). I know if I throw it away or whatever, but come back in 5 years or so to login to my account, those purchases will be gone. Also stopping me is the fact you can’t even get refunds on Nintendo Switch eShop, which is ridiculous haha.

Edited on by Wallax1992

Wallax1992

BruceCM

But you also wouldn't have been able to play physical PS3 games on PS4, @Wallax1992 ....? At least most current-gen games should be immediately playable on the next consoles, though but that will apply to digital or physical, as well

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Anti-Matter

@Wallax1992
Swapping cartridges or discs are fun activity for me.
Especially collecting small cartridges of NDS, 3DS, Switch games.
I never like the convenience of digital download.
I want the hard way to play. (physical media, swapping software)
Not by convenience as the easy way.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Wallax1992

Oh of course, @BruceCM! I mentioned digital because I couldn’t transfer or download the PS1 classic crash team racing or one of the uncharted games I got. Come to think of it, I bet Nintendo alters the physical media for their next console too, or just do away with physical media altogether.

If we do eventually go all digital, our rights should be expanded. I wouldn’t be as bothered, as long as I get to keep them and store them myself.

Wallax1992

BruceCM

Well, you wouldn't be able to play those physically on PS4, either, @Wallax1992 .... So, again, it wouldn't make any difference Assuming Nintendo sticks with carts, it's quite likely they can work on making the current size/shape ones a larger capacity & with faster read speeds, though
Generally, they make their handhelds able to play the previous one's games, so it's likely they'd do so again, if they do have to adjust the carts but they do have the big advantage of being able to play the games without installing, so I doubt they'd want to go back to discs

SW-4357-9287-0699

Wallax1992

I know, @BruceCM! I was just saying what made me stick with physical, which was that experience. As well as the fact there’s more freedom, and you aren’t tied down with them.

Which do you prefer?

Wallax1992

BruceCM

Well, on Switch, I do prefer physical more because it's played from the cart, @Wallax1992 .... Steam being my main platform, though, now, I have to have digital there Otherwise, it'd be primarily a matter of price, allowing for the potential to trade-in for games that are still worth that too

SW-4357-9287-0699

BabyYoda71

@SwitchForce COVID encouraged me to get Splatoon 2 digitally back in May, when there wasn’t curbside pickup here. After that, I got SMM2 digitally also in May. Now I kind of like digital more. I’m still divided.

(Sorry for the late reply, I don’t follow this thread.)

Edited on by BabyYoda71

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

rallydefault

@BruceCM
Trade-ins can be insanely valuable sometimes. I traded in an extra copy of Mario Odyssey that Amazon sent me (shhhh don't tell them lol) and got 40 bucks for it! And that was probably a good 4-6 months after the game released.

The quarantine has really tested my dedication to physical, though. Honestly I'm kind of ready to throw in the towel and just go digital from this point out. I can't trade anything in, yea, but don't you get significantly more gold points for digital purchases? And the eShop is getting much better at discounting even some of the big AAA games from time to time.

I don't know. Still up in the air. I'm gonna preorder Origami King physical, so maybe I'll stick physical until Nintendo's next console.

rallydefault

BruceCM

Heh, Switch games do keep their value a lot better than XB1 or PS4 ones, @rallydefault .... RDR 2 is now usually £25, physical, for a brand new standard edition over here, for instance, which is oddly cheaper than buying it pre-owned but that means it's not worth as much for trade-in, either

SW-4357-9287-0699

rallydefault

@BruceCM
I have some PS4 games physical... Drake Collection, Order, FF X, etc. And I think all of them together will get me less than 10 bucks lol

rallydefault

UnknownReader

For me part of the reason ( also the main reason ) I still prefer physical is that I refuse to pay full cost to the company.
Physical = box, box art, cart, their shipment to store, sales employee (transportation to store) ( I used to work in a music CD distribution long long time ago, those are cost the company have to deal with ) So we ( consumer sharing cost with company for the standard game of $60. Thou it don't really cost much for the company, still feel better that they have to pay some while charging high price due to fans supporting this. )

digital = they don't need to produce the product so less to no cost to them and we consumer paying full $60.

Other reason would be down the line I might still be able to play the game ( I can still play all my old ds game that is the plus ), if they decided to take the game off the shelves ( hope they are not ***** and do the "you need latest update in order to play" crap)
And and last reason.... Collection.

My Brain, eyes, and fingers are not team player. They don't coordinate with each other.

BruceCM

Yeah, even big releases from only this year aren't generally worth much to trade-in already, @rallydefault .... Whereas Breath of the Wild is still usually the same price it was when it came out, brand-new (been on sale a couple of times for a whole 20% off, mind you) & pre-owned is a few quid less! But you could still get about half it's cost for trade-in

SW-4357-9287-0699

Mountain_Man

korosanbo wrote:

And a lot of people might say that games today are not complete without patches, but to that I say, I just do my research, I won't buy a broken game that needs a day one patch or games like the Spyro Trilogy that need additional downloads, as my Switch is not even connected to the internet

Which brings up a question I asked earlier: how many releases have there been for the Switch that haven't needed an update of some kind. whether it's a patch or a free update that adds significant new content? I'm guessing the list is very small.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

Mountain_Man

UnknownReader wrote:

For me part of the reason ( also the main reason ) I still prefer physical is that I refuse to pay full cost to the company.
Physical = box, box art, cart, their shipment to store, sales employee (transportation to store) ( I used to work in a music CD distribution long long time ago, those are cost the company have to deal with ) So we ( consumer sharing cost with company for the standard game of $60. Thou it don't really cost much for the company, still feel better that they have to pay some while charging high price due to fans supporting this. )

digital = they don't need to produce the product so less to no cost to them and we consumer paying full $60.

Other reason would be down the line I might still be able to play the game ( I can still play all my old ds game that is the plus ), if they decided to take the game off the shelves ( hope they are not ***** and do the "you need latest update in order to play" crap)
And and last reason.... Collection.

The primary reason digital costs the same as retail is because retailers would riot if Nintendo undercut them on the eshop. Charging less might also run Nintendo into legal problems, at least in the US, because it could be considered using a monopoly position to gain an unfair advantage over the competition.

The Mountain Man

rallydefault

@BruceCM
I have such a huge Switch physical collection that I could probably trade it in to buy a PS5 and have plenty left over for a few games and a controller lol

But the whole point in doing physical, for me, is to always have it. 10 years from now my daughter can pick up those games and play them. (Probably will still be able to do that with digital, but let's pretend the internet gets eaten by a shark or something.)

I made a mistake when I was a kid/teenager of trading in all my old Nintendo stuff. My SNES, N64, all of those games...traded. I got a good chunk of money for it all, but I would give anything to have it all back, truth be told.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

UnknownReader

@Mountain_Man It's not really under cut the retail, they pay less than 1/2 the retail price to the company. And the selling price ( on retail ) is set by the company not the retailer. See the price difference between some game (indies ) vs mainstream Nintendo games ( or bigger brand like Marvelous Inc ).
Them giving 10 -15% off difference for digital will not cost a riot, I would think.

My Brain, eyes, and fingers are not team player. They don't coordinate with each other.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic