Forums

Topic: Persona 3/4/5 for Nintendo Switch

Posts 21 to 40 of 141

jedgamesguy

Slowdive wrote:

Magician wrote:

As I've mentioned before, I've always preferred the mainline Shin Megami Tensei games over the Persona spinoffs. The sim-life aspect isn't my jam.

While I agree with the mainline series being superior, Persona is great too. The social aspect is a part of the experience. Persona 4 Golden is basically a very well-written mystery story, mixed with great humor, and an atmosphere that makes it terribly immersive.

And I conversely feel like monster-collecting isn't my jam! I picked up SMT V, played it, enjoyed it a lot, but didn't love it. Naturally the character element is absent, but it's not necessarily tit-for-tat in Persona, since it has decent Persona collecting elements plus good characters and social-sim aspects. SMT really leans into the religious core a lot more though, and that makes for a really strange atmosphere. I love that.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

gcunit

It seems only P5R will get a physical release, at least in the West. In which case I won't be buying P4G or P3 unless they go on deep sale.

It's cool that the series has finally spread to Nintendo hardware, but I don't see the need to reward them for making us wait so long unless done properly. I've got these games on other platforms.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

JaxonH

@gcunit
To each their own. But I never think about it from the perspective of "rewarding them".

When I buy a game it's not to reward anyone other than myself. It's because I want to play the game on the given system. Whether that brings a secondary or tertiary effect of punishing or rewarding someone else is inconsequential to the decision. Those cards can fall how they may.

Persona 4 Golden is my favorite game in the series, and I want it on Switch rather than Vita/PC. So I buy it. If that "rewards" them then so be it. My primary concern is my own gaming experiences, not whether some company overseas gets "rewarded' with a slice of the $20 price

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

gcunit

@JaxonH I'm not aware of any significant advantages the Switch version of P4G will have over the Vita version, so the only reason I would have to play the Switch version would be 'It'll make a nice addition to my physical Switch collection', but as that option is seemingly unavailable, I see no reason to favour the Switch version over my existing physical Vita version.

The call on Page 1 of this thread was 'Time to put your money where your mouth is'. Well my mouth was in the 'Physical release of each game please' camp. That's all.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

RR529

I'm interested in giving P5R a try due to the praise it's gotten (& I loved SMTV), however the social aspect is really holding me back.

The only other game I played with something similar was Final Fantasy Type 0 HD, & I didn't care for it at all. I really didn't like having to pick a limited amount of activities to be involved in before being forced into the next story mission (especially with 12 party members you have to upkeep). Granted, the worst part was it's very bland over world & running into random encounters every 5 seconds.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JaxonH

@gcunit
Well, then you weren't one of the ones saying it should come to Switch. So it doesn't apply to you.

That said, I have a Vita, but the advantage is still,

1) 720p vs 540p
2) 7" OLED screen of higher quality
3) Rumble support in handheld
4) Tabletop play with detached joycon
5) Docked console play
6) On a current system I use

I don't care about digital or physical. P3P and P4G are old PS2 games similar to any other VC release.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MsJubilee

Sorry about being off-topic. I have never seen another community like the Switch community that's adamant about never buying anything that's a solely digital release. It's like it's kryptonite to them.

Edited on by MsJubilee

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Ralizah

Nothing matches mainline SMT for me, although P5R comes closer than most with the proper dungeons and the return of guns and demon negotiations.

@TheJGG Try the SMT IV duology if you have a 3DS. MUCH larger focus on storytelling and (in the case of IV: Apocalypse) character development than SMT III or V. SMT IV also maintains the spooky, cryptic atmosphere associated with the series, whereas IV: Apocalypse... well, the best to describe it is to imagine if a bunch of modern Persona characters got stuck in an SMT game.

@MsJubilee Yeah, as a multiplatform gamer, it's a bit weird to me as well. I mean, I get the preference. Kinda like the Xbox community has grown to have an overwhelming preference for digital releases. But skipping out on amazing games because they're not on a plastic card always seemed weird to me.

Of course, now such people are even more likely to dig in their heels since so many indies get limited run physical releases months after the fact.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Matt_Barber

I'd mostly put it down to the Switch having cartridge media. There's nothing that brings out the collector bug like it. Even someone like me, who buys almost everything digitally, still wants the keepers that way.

Most of the PlayStation users I know still collect physical media too, although that's just for the big releases on day one. Digital isn't a bad option there for the back catalogue especially now there's the revamped PS Plus.

When Xbox has Game Pass though and PC has Steam, you've got to be one hell of a stickler to pass up the level of convenience that both offer to still go out and buy games in boxes.

Matt_Barber

JaxonH

@Matt_Barber
I think most people understand and appreciate the desire to collect physical media. I, too, have that desire.

It's when people say, "I won't play the game unless it's a physical release" many start scratching their heads. I've seen countless people say they're skipping Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak until it "gets a full cartridge release" despite it being DLC and even Iceborn never received a physical release. I've seen it for Persona 3/4 despite being essentially PS2 VC games. I've seen it for Portal 1/2 despite being Steam games from Valve, and at a fire price of $20 for both

Kinda like, I get the preference, for sure, but when owning physical becomes more important than playing the games themselves, it feels like losing the plot. To me at least. I would always take a stance of, "if I can get physical, I'll get physical, if I can't, then I'll get digital, cause at the end of the day I'm a gamer and I want to play video games".

Edited on by JaxonH

Darylb88

I'm excited to be getting P5R on Switch, esp as I enjoy remote play. Shame about P3 and P4 being digital only but thier GB should be decent so I can live with that.

Darylb88

JaxonH

It still feels surreal knowing Persona is coming to Switch.

After all those years, hoping, waiting, thinking how much sense it would make having Persona 4 Golden on Switch like Vita had. And all the excuses under the sun for why it would never happen. "It can't run" or "they would have done it by now" or "Sony has a deal", etc.

Not to say I think Sony couldn't have had a deal. They very well may have. They're the king of moneybagging to block releases from other platforms. To this day the only Castlevania collection that hasn't come to Switch is the Symphony of the Night, which they clearly scooped up to capitalize off the Belmont Smash hype and ensure Switch players couldn't buy the game on their platform. And that was an old PS1 game. If they're that petty to block something that small, Persona definitely isn't out of the realm of possibility. We heard Atlus/Sega say they negotiated more favorable terms for multiplatform releases moving forward, which to me sounds like they sat down with Sony and said look, we're not doing this any more. We're throwing away too much money with this exclusivity BS.

But the fact we're also getting Persona 5 Royal, and Persona 3 Portable... it's more than I ever dreamed would happen. Many said even if the game did come to Switch one day, it wouldn't be the Royal release. Which, to be fair I would have still bought. Just because I wanted the game on Switch that badly. But no. It's the full Royal version. No corners cut.

It also feels good to see all the gatekeeping fanboys eat crow with this. Soooo many PS diehards who desperately wanted this game and series to stay exclusive forever so they could bolster their egos. Maybe it's a bit of schadenfreude, which I know I shouldn't be feeling, but sometimes I can't help it. When fanboys lord the game over you for years, it's hard not to feel good seeing their console war ammunition blow up in their faces.

Buizel

@JaxonH My guess is that they might have had a ~5 year exclusivity deal with Sony (although knowing Atlus' patchy history when it comes to multiplatform releases, I don't suspect Sony ever needed such a deal).

In those 5 years, however, the Persona series has completely blown up, especially in the West. Persona 5 is heralded as one of the quintessential RPGs of a generation. Plus Strikers on PC, PS, Switch and 4 Golden on PC gave Atlus a means to test the waters on other systems. And it paid off, so they decided to throw it all in and make 3 big games multiplatform.

I think the P5 re-release is going to be a big deal. So many people that never managed to play this game will be talking about it, alongside the many (like me) who have played it before and are hyped to replay it on their preferred platform. Even people that own a PS4 but missed the game twice before night be interested in seeing what the fuss is about.

Plus maybe this time P5 won't have to compete with everything in 2017, or Final Fantasy Remake (as Royal did).

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

JaxonH

@Buizel
It's hard to gage how well it will do.

SMTV sold over 1m copies and it's a fairly niche, hardcore series. But it was also new.

I suspect Persona 5 Royal will easily clear 1m on Switch, maybe 2 million through the course of time. Which would be insanely good given the base game did 3.2m and Royal did 1.8m. For a late port, cracking 2m on Switch would basically cement it as a permanent fixture of Nintendo platforms.

I think the fact a lot of ppl will rebuy it for hybrid handheld advantage is going to help. I already have it digitally, and the collector edition for both the base game and Royal version. But Switch is where I've always wanted to play it. I think many feel that way.

Buizel

@JaxonH I agree - also factor in that Xbox and PC might eat into potential Switch sales. But to what extent, I have no idea.

Still, will be a significant wave of interest in the series. And it might be an ideal time to reveal Persona 6...

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

JaxonH

Just a friendly reminder that Persona 5 Royal, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 3 Portable are coming to Switch!

Always a great day waking up to that reality.

As well as knowing Nier Automata and Bayonetta 3 are also coming this year, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Splatoon 3 are also coming this year, and Portal 1/2, Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak are presently on the system and playable.

Eatin' fat like kings and queens.

Hippy_Pirate_89

Very good news indeed.
Seems like only yesterday my favourite website at the time started an Endurance Run on this game I'd never heard of, Persona 4.
I was too invested in the 360 at that point to look for a rare PS2 game, so when they announced it for Vita I was very happy to finally get a chance to play it.

I put a handful of hours into P5 when it released, but sadly the days of spending 8 hours in front of a RPG are long gone. Kudos to the switch for letting me play these gems in bed when the Mrs falls asleep.

Hippy_Pirate_89

chipia

Too bad we are only getting Persona 5 Royal and not the original Persona 5. I heard that Royal is unbalanced and much easier than the original.

chipia

GTGrilli

I can't stop thinking about P5R on Switch.
I've watched a thousand of videos about starting guide, tips, reviews, etc..
Two months to go!!!

Be kind to be great

Maxenmus

I'm more looking forward to the Persona 3 port that might or might not come. A lot of things could happen in the year or two before its release. Games and movies get cancelled all the time nowadays.

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic