Forums

Topic: Nintendo 64 (Switch Online)

Posts 121 to 140 of 250

Xyphon22

@skywake Thank you. That's the same thing I said about cloud gaming. Exactly how long into the future are you planning on still playing the same game? Of course it would be better to actually own it, but it's no skin off my back if it's essentially nothing more than an extended rental because I'll be done with it long before it expires.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

skywake

Another thought, lets say theoretically this had launched in 2017 and theoretically all first party Nintendo DLC fell under this banner. In theory what could end up happening going forward. So Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Sword & Shield, Pokken Tournament, Captain Toad, Luigi's Mansion 3, Hyrule Warriors and Smash. DLC available to purchase at the same price but if you have NSO+ you get that content for free while your subscription was active

Would anyone who is against it now change their mind in that scenario? Because honestly I think that's approximately what this is going to end up being. For me? If that scenario had been around they would've probably got more money out of me via the subscription. Of the above I only got the Smash and BotW DLC. But also I wouldn't have felt THAT ripped off because I would've probably jumped back into Pokemon, Splatoon and Luigi's Mansion

Remains to be seen how much DLC falls under this banner but if it's all or at least the majority of Nintendo first party DLC? I'd continue to subscribe to it. No hesitation

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

@skywake It came to mind that the expansion pack may be the way Nintendo works around the infamous "dividing the playerbase" issue that's introduced with multiplayer DLC. Most companies nowadays scrapped multiplayer DLC in favour of free content updates + microtransactions like having maps, modes and weapons being free for everyone in a FPS meanwhile cosmetics are part of a battle pass.

Meanwhile perhaps Nintendo keeps microtransactions away from their full priced titles and instead has it that there's multiplayer DLC packs like in the past but they're also a part of NSO expansion pack to reduce the amount of players that only have access to the base game content. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe especially comes to mind here, it's very rare you get the first DLC announced for a game around 5 years after launch but you can see that the game is still insanely popular with it still being the best selling Switch game.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Madao

@skywake Thing is, the original service to me also had no value. The only reason I pay for it is because it is ransom for my save files since I can't back them up any other way, but at least it was cheap.

Now this extra service is no longer cheap and it is close to what the competition charges for (more expensive than xbox gold if you have a family plan like I do). Aside from all the stuff that were always missing (messaging, voice chat, etc) you now also get a much worse offering in terms of "freebies". Not only is it DLC, which means you need to have the game to make use of it, you also don't own it. Meanwhile the competition is giving multiple whole games away for free every month, ~~that you get to keep forever~~ (didn't realise this has changed since the 360 days, so I am wrong on that). I like to own my games, I buy everything physical, so yes to me it is important to own the DLC. People that don't understand this, I hope they at least resell their games after they are done playing them, I don't.

Now will Nintendo add more? Maybe, but they never promised more. With the original service they promised "exclusive offers" which is what the vouchers and Nintendo store stuff are (giving them money to get the opportunity to give them more money is laughable though).

Edited on by Madao

Madao

1UP_MARIO

@Madao join my family group and pay only 10 pounds for the year. Let me know. I have 3 spaces.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

skywake

Madao wrote:

Now will Nintendo add more? Maybe, but they never promised more. With the original service they promised "exclusive offers" which is what the vouchers and Nintendo store stuff are (giving them money to get the opportunity to give them more money is laughable though).

Well they've technically already added the Animal Crossing DLC to the service so there's that. We're still in the "before release" period though where nobody has handed over any money yet but still.

And in terms of the base NSO, the game vouchers aren't exactly laughable. The original site where Nintendo outlined what NSO would have mentioned "exclusive deals". I'd call the game vouchers basically the definition of a deal. They're not game changing but generally when used they bring reduce the price of games enough that they're $5-15AU less than retail prices. When you take advantage of that maybe 3-4 times a year on games you would've still brought? It basically pays for the service

Madao

@1UP_MARIO Cheers, but I have stacked for a few years now though when it was on offer at shopto!

@skywake Sorry I wasn't clear, I was just referring to the my nintendo store exclusives as laughable. The vouchers are a good deal for people that go digital. I would argue that the competition does much better offers though when they do sales, while Nintendo games get very low discounts if any. Still vouchers are good for release day buying.

Madao

hypnotoad

I was undecided about the N64 pad for Switch.... until I got an email from Nintendo telling me it was available for pre-order.
I melted and I'm glad I did cos scalpers are asking 90 quid for it on Ebay.
They can f**k right off !
Don't bite kids.

Edited on by hypnotoad

hypnotoad

kkslider5552000

So instead of a 10 or so dollar N64 service, this is instead for people who specifically want to play N64 and Genesis games and also want the New Horizons DLC (a follow up to a 3DS spinoff a lot of people were completely indifferent towards) but are ok with not necessarily owning it in the future. I guess.

This is a specific audience Nintendo is after, is what I'm saying. I'm mostly that audience, but it says something that even I was convinced to go with the family plan in hours after years of not wanting to do anything like it. And now I'll be paying less for NSO and getting more. Good for me, questionable for Nintendo.

This whole thing is just kinda bewildering PR, at the very least.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

kkslider5552000

Eel wrote:

😅talking about that, are you receiving my emails? I’ll be using that to organize the group.

yeah

it would be weird if i didn't

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

rallydefault

It's like anything: either you like the stuff and it's worth it for you, or you don't like the stuff and it's just not worth the cost for you.

People are overreacting and it's ridiculous, as usual. 50 bucks a year. 5 bucks a month. Less than that, really. Chill.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

skywake

@hypnotoad, this is probably a better thread for your question

hypnotoad wrote:

What have Nintendo got against WaveRace 64 ?
It's their best arcade racer and arguably THE BEST arcade racer of the '90's and yet it's not been included in the online expansion pack. WHY ???

At this point in time there are 16 games announced for N64 on NSO (18 in Japan). There were 21 games for N64 on the Wii VC over the entire life of the service. I would expect the list of N64 games to expand over the life of the service and WaveRace 64 is a game that appeared both VCs so it's a fairly safe bet

For completeness, this is the list of games that were on the Wii or Wii U VC but aren't on N64 NSO+:

• Wave Race 64
  • 1080 Snowboarding
  • Ogre Battle 64
  • Bomberman Hero
  • Cruis'n USA (Wii only)
  • Pokemon Puzzle League (Wii only)
  • Super Smash Bros (Wii only)
  • Harvest Moon 64 (Wii U only)
  • Donkey Kong 64 (Wii U only)

And these are the games that are on NSO+ that were never on the VC:

• Winback
  • Custom Robo (Japan only)
  • Banjo Kazooie

The N64 list on NSO+ will expand like the other services before it did. When it does I think the first party games that appeared on both Wii and Wii U VC would be the most likely to appear. So Wave Race and 1080. Then probably after that the games Rare were involved with given we're getting Banjo. Donkey Kong 64 and Diddy Kong Racing being the easiest two. From there it probably gets a bit trickier

But yeah, Wave Race is probably right up the top of the list of wave 3 N64 titles to come out I think. There are potentially some issues with the advertising banners they may have to work out but they got around it before so I'm sure they can do it again. I expect those advertising banners are part of the reason why it's not day 1

Going through the list of N64 games I'd say these ones are potentially on the horizon. Although I'm sure some people have a better understanding of licencing issues than I do so take this with a grain of salt:

• Banjo-Tooie
  • Blast Corps
  • Excitebike 64
  • Killer Instinct Gold
  • Mario Party
  • Pilotwings 64
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Perfect Dark
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • Jet Force Gemini
  • Snowboard Kids

Beyond that.... I think we're starting to wish for stuff. Potentially Rayman 2 given Nintendo's relationship with Ubisoft. Potentially they could put out the N64 version of Animal Crossing on there as a novelty. Then there are some games that won't happen even with strong Nintendo relationships because of the existence of re-releases. Eg the Star Wars games & Doom. Also I wouldn't hold my breath for Goldeneye.....

Edited on by skywake

faint

@skywake I’m still hoping they add turbo garfix later at no extra cost beyond the expansion

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

skywake

@faint
TBH I could see them adding Turbografx to the base service and probably GBA to NSO+. At this stage I think GB is all but a given. Beyond that I'm not holding my breath for more classic consoles. At least not in the way NES, SNES, N64 and Mega Drive exist. At a REAL stretch maybe we get Saturn in NSO+ but Saturn emulation isn't exactly pinned down. I could also see Master System in theory on the base tier but I don't think it would have much appeal in the US

In my mind the more likely thing we get beyond what's announced are single-release things given out with NSO+. Which could include single Wii, GC, DS and possible Dreamcast, Saturn releases. As in we have a Direct, they come out and say hey we're putting out Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin or hell Metroid Prime on the eShop for $20AU. Download for free if you have NSO+. To me this seems like the more likely scenario

Edited on by skywake

StuTwo

@faint TurboGrafix would be dependent on how good of a deal Konami sees the service as being (as in how much of a cut they're getting).

This would also likely influence many of the Hudson and Konami N64 games (I'd assume that the Bomberman 64 and Castlevania 64 games and the Geoman N64 games are at the very least possibilities - they might have more value in this service than sold separately).

Going off the types of games they've wrangled onto the NES and SNES services I could also see some of the "third tier" games being sought out. I mean the audience for "Extreme G remastered" is probably very small so if you own that property then getting a small residual every month from Nintendo and potentially pumping interest in the IP would probably be the best you can do.

The N64 had a lot of decent but unspectacular games developed by Western developers - many of whom have now been defunct for a long time. Namco bought the remains of Infogrames - presumably that gives them the rights to games like Wetrix. I suppose it all depends on how deep Nintendo is willing to dig and how many companies approach them.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Grumblevolcano

@skywake You missed Mario Party 2 which was on both Wii VC and Wii U VC. It's not likely to appear on NSO+ because Mario Party Superstars is pretty much acting as a HD remaster for the N64 games (wouldn't surprised if DLC adds the rest of the N64 boards).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SKTTR

@skywake I think they hold Wave Race 64 back because the first wave has Mario Kart 64 with online play, and the second wave has F-ZERO X with online play. One racing game per wave makes more sense in a subscription service like this. Even though the N64 has plenty of great racers to have 3 good one's each wave, but they need to recode multiplayer games for online. The Kawasaki banners are long gone.

Also, Nintendo needs some 10/10 classics later. I mean they will pour out many of the best N64 games in their first 2 waves.

First wave:
10/10 Super Mario 64
10/10 Ocarina of Time
10/10 Mario Kart 64
10/10 Starfox 64
10/10 Sin and Punishment
9/10 Mario Tennis
8/10 Yoshi's Story
8/10 Dr. Mario 64
7/10 Operation: WinBack

Second wave:
10/10 Majora's Mask
10/10 Paper Mario
10/10 Banjo-Kazooie
10/10 F-ZERO X
9/10 Mario Golf
9/10 Pokémon Snap
8/10 Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Grumblevolcano

@SKTTR We don't know that'll be the 2nd wave, just that those games are coming in the future. Given how Nintendo handled NES and SNES, I could see a setup where the future waves are something like:

Second wave (December 2021):

• Majora's Mask
  • Mario Golf
  • Pokemon Snap
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Comix Zone
  • Columns

Third wave (February 2022):

• F-Zero X
  • Kirby 64
  • Paper Mario
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Vectorman
  • Virtua Fighter 2

Maybe even split up the N64 even more to have the confirmed games be 3 waves (Majora's Mask + Mario Golf, Pokemon Snap + F-Zero X, KIrby 64 + Paper Mario + Banjo-Kazooie) where the 3rd wave releases in May 2022..

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic