Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 7,921 to 7,940 of 15,874

Dezzy

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Nothing comes anywhere close to the Xenoblade 2 expansion pass in terms of Nintendo DLC and I doubt anything will until the next new Xenoblade game

Whilst the Torna DLC is probably my favourite one Nintendo has done, I think you could maybe argue that Mario Kart 8 DLC on the Wii U was maybe better value/quality overall. Relative to its base game, of course.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

rallydefault

@Slowdive
Exactly. See, the issue I was having with @VoidofLight is exactly the whole terminology between port/remaster (and they posted a bunch since my last question to them and haven't responded to me, so I assume they get my point).

A port, if you're gonna use the term properly, is the same game in every way just made to run on a different set of hardware, many times through use of emulation software.

A remaster changes the game to some degree that, if I would play the original game, I would be missing certain things. And that applies whether you like the changes or not, or deem them "lazy" or not. Fact of the matter is that SS HD is gonna contain stuff that, if I were to go and boot up my original copy of SS, I would not have access to. That, like it or not, is my definition of a remaster, of which there can be a massive scale of effort and features, of course. We talked about that in some other thread with Skywake, I think it was the future of Zelda thread.

So, yea. If you think SS HD is a sub par remaster, that's fine, but it's still a remaster. It's not a port.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

VoidofLight

@rallydefault The thing with Skyward Sword HD, is that it barely changes anything, so I moreso like to call it a port, since it's technically what it is. Effectively, it's a step above a port, with the bare minimum added. the term "HD" at the end of the game's name is a lie, since the game isn't "HD". Yes, it has a better resolution, but it still has shoddy textures, and the lighting system itself wasn't even changed. They literally just took the older game, changed the resolution, then slapped a 60 dollar price tag onto it.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

NintendoByNature

Can't we all just get back to speculation on the next direct 😉

NintendoByNature

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy I'd definitely put Wii U MK8 DLC in 2nd. I just felt that XC2 expansion pass offered a lot more between Torna and the additions to the base game like the challenge battle mode.

@NintendoByNature I think it'll be a Mario Golf Direct in May with the announcement of a Speed Golf tourney pre-launch like the Mario Tennis one.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MarioBrickLayer

Slowdive wrote:

@MarioBrickLayer Super Mario 64 on Virtual Console and Super Mario 64 DS or Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid in the NES Classics line on GBA (the former even included the latter). There's many more I could mention, but these came to mind immediately.

Super Mario 64 on Virtual Console and Super Mario 64 DS were two yeas apart on two different platforms.

Metroid's inclusion in Zero Mission was a bonus for beating the game and the classics release was two years later.

I'm not saying Nintendo couldn't release the ports now and then add then to N64 via NSO a couple of years down the line, but the speculation is we'll see a NSO refresh this year as well as the Zelda anniversary, and I don't think there is an example of Nintendo releasing the same game on the same platform in two releases in the same year.

I even think the reason they the Mario 3D collection is no longer available is partly due to Mario 64 being on the NSO N64 games. But if N64 games are coming to NSO, I really think it's impossible that two of the best N64 games wouldn't be included, which kills off the port release rumours.

I want either to be true as I want to play them both on my Switch!!

MarioBrickLayer

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano
I never even did the challenge mode stuff! The main thing I loved about Torna was just the fact that the titan was a really well designed area, and then the main 2 characters in Lora and Jinn were a much better hero couple than Rex and Pyra were!

VoidofLight wrote:

with the bare minimum added. the term "HD" at the end of the game's name is a lie, since the game isn't "HD". Yes, it has a better resolution, but it still has shoddy textures, and the lighting system itself wasn't even changed.

The term "HD" only has a formal definition in terms of screen resolution though, it doesn't really mean anything in terms of textures, models or lighting, even though people have often used it for those contexts. So they're really not doing anything wrong there.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

jump

I think people are adding two and two together and getting Gamecube. Ninty are planning on changing over their servers so online play is better which is the primary purpose on the online subscription. Everything else is folk assuming there's more to it.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

jump

@Slowdive Ninty have only just started the process, it's not a press a single button and then it's all done process.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

MarioBrickLayer

Slowdive wrote:

@MarioBrickLayer Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from. However I've stated before; we don't know when N64 is going to be a thing for NSO. Thugstas has not mentioned when we're going to see the additional platforms appear, just that there's going to be a big overhaul of the service soon. We'll just have to wait and see what happens...

You're right! At this point we don't even know for sure that N64 games are coming. It wouldn't be the biggest shock if Nintendo didn't add them.

MarioBrickLayer

MarioBrickLayer

I would be shocked if Nintendo added Gamecube games, it seems to recent to me.

MarioBrickLayer

link3710

rallydefault wrote:

@VoidofLight
Nintendo is by far, FAR the least egregious company when it comes to stupid DLC. BotW was pretty good, and Mario Kart 8's DLC back on the Wii U is still, in my opinion, the gold standard of what DLC should be. That being said, things are slowly getting worse: Luigi's Mansion DLC is ridiculous for pretty much any price, the Fire Emblem DLC is overpriced for what you get, the Pokemon DLC is overpriced (30 bucks seriously!?), Captain Toad DLC is mehhhh (but it's also only 5 bucks).

But that's just Nintendo. So far I would say they are holding the line, but most other companies have long since given in to this "season pass" mania, the vast majority of it being money grabs for another 30 bucks on top of the 60-dollar game you just bought.

Anyway, why isn't Skyward Sword HD a remaster? HD graphics and a brand-new control scheme aren't enough for you so far? Do you work at Nintendo or are you just doing a lot of assuming for a game that hasn't been fully detailed and released?

@RallyDefault
You forget Nintendo's history of DLC. Every Fire Emblem DLC has been terrible, Awakenings was actually worse than Three Houses. New Super Mario Bros 2 was a complete rip off as well. I don't think the DLC from them is getting worse, it's more just incredibly inconsistent in value.

As for SSHD, the only differences are resolution (which often changes in ports, look at Doom 2017 on Switch vs PS4), and controls (Look at any game released across both Wii and any other console). No texture changes, no model improvements, no gameplay fixes, no new content, it's a port.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

rallydefault

@link3710 @VoidofLight
Ah, ok. So I can just pop the original SS into my Wii or Wii U and get the same HD graphics and new control scheme as SS HD? It's just a port, you said, right?

rallydefault

dionysos283

If I emulate Skyward Sword on my PC, I can also change controls and resolution on the fly (e.g. from Motion Controls to button input). Is it therefore a remake?

dionysos283

link3710

@rallydefault ...I literally just said that resolution and control schemes can change in ports. And gave examples. Like, Ori 1 ended up running better on Switch than on Xbox, and it adjusted the controls does that make it a remaster?

EDIT: Or what about Octopath? It runs at higher resolution and with keyboard controls on PC, so is it a remaster? Pretty much all console -> PC ports have that change.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

rallydefault

link3710 wrote:

@rallydefault ...I literally just said that resolution and control schemes can change in ports.

And I disagree with that statement.

If resolution and fundamental changes to the control scheme (in this case allowing for non-motion controls in a game that completely molded its gameplay loop around motion controls) are made to a game that cannot be used in the original, then you have a remaster, not a port.

As to your Ori point, it obviously pales once you see my argument. Did Ori switch fundamental controls properties? Nope. Still just a controller-and-sticks based control scheme, just revamped for a different piece of hardware.

Now with your Octopath examples you're actually thinking. If they went into the code and re-did their graphics from the ground up, then I would say it's a remaster, albeit a small one. If the "new" graphics, however, are just the typical PC fare of being able to control your resolution/shadows/AA/etc., then no, that's just a port; all games are developed on PC from the start, so those options are part of the code from the beginning. The vast majority of console games just lock you out of those settings because of the hardware and console environment.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

VoidofLight

@rallydefault Skyward Sword HD isn’t HD. It only has a better resolution, so pretty much you’ll get the same game.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

jedgamesguy

I don't care about framerate, graphics or textures. I get to have Groose anytime, anywhere, with anyone.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic