Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 13,101 to 13,120 of 15,874

Grumblevolcano

@TheBigBlue If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't. What matters the most is a wave 5 reveal which'll happen either way.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Kermit1doesmath

I predict a Direct for the 11th and you can't prove me wrong, I am 9999999.9% sure it will happen... If it happens after that then Nintendo must have messed up and we should worry.

@TheBigBlue Switchforce POV:
Untitled

dysgraphia awareness human

blindsquirrel

Mark your Calendars, the direct will be on June 16th.

Source: trust me bro.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

FishyS

blindsquarel wrote:

Mark your Calendars, the direct will be on June 16th.
Source: trust me bro.

Nope, the direct is on June 5th. 😺

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

blindsquirrel

@FishyS
Seems unlikely but I’ll trust you.

checks date

Hey, wait a minute!!

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Truegamer79

What announcements in a potential Nintendo direct this year are even worth getting excited about? Unless it's a new Donkey kong or even 2 or 3D mario game who cares? I guess some footage of Metroid prime 4 would be nice if that game is even still coming to switch at this point. Speaking of Donkey kong he hasn't had a new game since 2014. That's an awfully long break for a Nintendo franchise.

Edited on by Truegamer79

Truegamer79

skywake

@Professor_Plumber
2011 was such a weird year for Nintendo, especially around E3. Of course Skyward Sword was the main event but they were still kinda looking foward to what was next. The 3DS was out but it wasn't moving the numbers people expected. I remember a lot of the media talk at the time was about how portable gaming was dead due to the rise of smartphones. I definitely got into a few heated debates, as I tend to do, with Apple devotees who were arguing that point....

And then there was the Wii U which was clearly the next thing. But when they show it off for the first time it was kinda like, ok cool but are any of these games actually real? It kinda felt like everything first party Nintendo showed was just a tech demo. And rightly so given, well, pretty much everything they showed was a tech demo

I did pick up a 3DS not long after that, OoT & Star Fox pulled me across the line

@Truegamer79
I think like all Directs the hype is always about the unknowns. We don't know much of what Nintendo is planning in the next year at all so there's a good chance that some of those things will be worthwhile. This is the same Nintendo that dropped Metroid Dread out of nowhere only a couple of years ago. Could easily be something like that for the tail end of the year

Personally a new 2D Zelda is what I'm hoping for.....

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

GrailUK

@Truegamer79 Erm, we won't know what announcements to be excited about until they announce them. Kinda how it works, isn't it?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

chapuH

I severely doubt we're getting a Nintendo Direct before September, apart from perhaps a Mini or Partner Showcase. Firstly, Nintendo will want to maximise TOTK's time as the "main game on offer", and the attention on it. Secondly, it's highly likely that the significant internal resources invested in TOTK will affect the development of other first-party games. Thirdly (and most crucially), Nintendo do actually have enough releases to get them through the summer:

June: Everybody 1 2 Switch
July: Pikmin 4
Late July/early August: MK8DX Wave 5
August/September: Side Order

Not a stellar schedule admittedly but decent considering the two factors above.

Hope you're having a good day.

FishyS

Truegamer79 wrote:

What announcements in a potential Nintendo direct this year are even worth getting excited about? Unless it's a new Donkey kong or even 2 or 3D mario game who cares? I guess some footage of Metroid prime 4 would be nice if that game is even still coming to switch at this point. Speaking of Donkey kong he hasn't had a new game since 2014. That's an awfully long break for a Nintendo franchise.

I would argue it's near guaranteed the next direct whenever it is includes Mario. Every year of the Switch has had multiple Mario-related games and none so far this year. Given the movie hype also, all signs point to some at least fairly juicy Mario announcements.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Bolt_Strike

FishyS wrote:

Truegamer79 wrote:

I would argue it's near guaranteed the next direct whenever it is includes Mario. Every year of the Switch has had multiple Mario-related games and none so far this year. Given the movie hype also, all signs point to some at least fairly juicy Mario announcements.

I don't see a Mario announcement happening this year unless next gen is also announced this year (which it's looking like no, next year is the year for next gen). 2020-2022 was the time to hear about a new Mario game on Switch. At this point it's likely that Mario (BOTH 2D AND 3D) are being reserved for early next gen releases, they always like to build Mario games around the new consoles features and help it sell the next console (especially for 3D, but also 2D to a lesser degree). I think it's mainly going to be crickets for the next 9-12 months with maybe a few smaller ports/remasters while we have to wait until next gen for the next big first party games. So probably no Mario, no Mario Kart (other than the Booster Course Pack), no DK, none of that stuff until next year. Maybe Prime 4, but that's more likely to be cross gen at this point.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

FishyS

@Bolt_Strike There might not be a totally new game, but I'm sure at least a remake will be announced. Again, every single year of the Switch's lifespan have had multiple Mario games.

FishyS

Bolt_Strike

FishyS wrote:

@Bolt_Strike There might not be a totally new game, but I'm sure at least a remake will be announced. Again, every single year of the Switch's lifespan have had multiple Mario games.

Ehh, IDK that they'd have a remake a year before a big next gen game. They'd probably cannibalize each other to a degree. I think if we're getting Mario anything this year it's probably a spinoff, like a Paper Mario or a Mario sports game. Next gen launch (which a lot of people believe is next year) is likely the year for main series Mario.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

FishyS

@Bolt_Strike I'd guess we'll get a spinoff either way. I just checked and including spin-offs, there has arguably been multiple Mario games every year since some point in the 1980s. Obviously some of those years were right before new consoles, but they still spat out at least 2 games. We could easily get two spin-offs, but since last year was two spin-offs, I'm hoping for a remake.

FishyS

Bolt_Strike

FishyS wrote:

@Bolt_Strike I'd guess we'll get a spinoff either way. I just checked and including spin-offs, there has arguably been multiple Mario games every year since some point in the 1980s. Obviously some of those years were right before new consoles, but they still spat out at least 2 games. We could easily get two spin-offs, but since last year was two spin-offs, I'm hoping for a remake.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything at this point in the Switch's lifespan. It's 6 years old and the pipeline feels like it's drying out, the Switch is probably lucky to get whatever else it ends up getting. Most likely the games we're all actually waiting for are next gen games at this point.

Bolt_Strike

skywake

@FishyS
What Mario game would be worth a remake? Galaxy 2 is really the only one I can think of that would make sense. Unless you re-tread on 3D AllStars or go into the portable games back catalogue and re-do Super Mario Land 1/2....

I don't see it happening. Entirely new game would make more sense

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

@FishyS
What Mario game would be worth a remake? Galaxy 2 is really the only one I can think of that would make sense. Unless you re-tread on 3D AllStars or go into the portable games back catalogue and re-do Super Mario Land 1/2....

I don't see it happening. Entirely new game would make more sense

This too. There's no obvious candidate for a legitimate remake right now, especially after they just did 3D All Stars (I really think they should've given Sunshine a remake to fix some of its issues, but now that they just ported it they probably won't be doing that anytime soon if at all). Maybe 5 years or so on next gen we can talk 3D Land remake/remaster, but it seems a tad too soon right now.

Bolt_Strike

FishyS

@Bolt_Strike @SKWAKE

Personally I think a Super Mario Land 1/2 remake would be fun and ever since they added 2 to NSO, I think it's been a definite possibility.

A only slightly modified port of one of the New Super games (or a collection) is also very plausible.

Especially if Switch 2 ends up being back-compatible I think they will eventually add ports or remakes of all of the mainline Mario games.

I'd be very happy with a new game but as others have said, that might be unlikely if a new console is coming, so dipping into their back-catalogue again would make sense. I would guess second-most-likely is a paper mario series port or remake; they haven't been focusing on bringing over those games as much, but it seems like a reasonable time to do one while nothing else big is happening.

I really do think someone at Nintendo keeps track of their 30+ year Mario game streak and will make sure that streak is not broken. I suppose we could just get sports and more sports, but please no.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic